New fragrance by Naomi Goodsir: Corpus Equus

Andy the frenchy

Sep 16, 2018
"A black composition with animalistic notes, Corpus Equus pays homage to the noble and wild nature of an Arabian stallion, with his fiery temperament. Intrepid and hot-blooded with an elegant gait, he cuts through the wind, leaving behind the smell of earth, trampled by his gallop, mixed with the warm leather of his saddle which rubs on his back."

heart notes : rose
base notes : amber, birch, cedar, incense, leather, musk, patchouli, smoked wood

For now exclusively sold by Nose, and not yet listed on Goodsir's own website...

Any thoughts?

corpus-equus-eau-de-parfum-50ml-874.jpg

Redneck Perfumisto

League of Cycloöctadiene Isomer Aestheticists
Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008

cheapimitation

May 15, 2015
Ooh, I just made an order with Nose, wish I had known to include a sample.

I've got Bois d'Ascense and tried all the others (Nuit de Backeliet is a monster!) so I'm definitely curious. Although I must say, it sounds like a very familiar concept/note pyramid for the brand. I guess it's good she has a defined style, but for me I'm not sure how many dark smokey things I need.

cazaubon

Basenotes Plus
Jan 1, 2005

Emanuel76

Jun 16, 2018
"A black composition with animalistic notes, Corpus Equus pays homage to the noble and wild nature of an Arabian stallion, with his fiery temperament. Intrepid and hot-blooded with an elegant gait, he cuts through the wind, leaving behind the smell of earth, trampled by his gallop, mixed with the warm leather of his saddle which rubs on his back."

heart notes : rose
base notes : amber, birch, cedar, incense, leather, musk, patchouli, smoked wood

Any thoughts?
It sounds very promising. :thumbsup:

I am a bit worried about the "smoked wood."
Well, probably that birch note is birch tar, not birch leaf or wood, bearing in mind that they say it's "a black composition".
But it can also be guiac wood, amyris (aka guaiac wood light edition), licorice. Or some bullshit aromachemicals that will ruin everything.

cheapimitation

May 15, 2015
I can understand why, the fragrance is HUGE. I have a sample from Nose and when I sprayed it on strip, I feel like I could smell it in my room for days. I'm intrigued by it and want to try on skin one of these days, but I've been afraid to spray it again since haha.

Yeah, green/vegetal/plasticky scents are not at all my thing. I hear even the employees at Luckyscent hate it when customers spray the tester. ;-) LOL

Andy the frenchy

Sep 16, 2018
Sounds interesting. Wish I could buy this in the states.

Even when factoring in the shipping fees, prices are often cheaper when buying from European retailers because it costs less there, and many also offer duty free options.
For example, LuckyScent is often more expensive than Nose (and way more than Jovoy) in any cases.

Also, Goodsir increased their pricing from Eur140 to Eur150. So the US pricing is likely to increase as well, probably from $187 to ~$205 (my guess).

Starblind

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Oct 2, 2013
It sounds very promising. :thumbsup:

Well, probably that birch note is birch tar, not birch leaf or wood, bearing in mind that they say it's "a black composition".
But it can also be guiac wood, amyris (aka guaiac wood light edition), licorice. Or some bullshit aromachemicals that will ruin everything.

"Or some bullshit aromachemicals that will ruin everything." Exactly my fear.

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
I SO wanted to love this one! But I don't get any 'horsiness' out of it at all.

Oh, what a shame! On me it's all horsehide and hay, as it both enters and exits the animal. It's one of those things I can't really imagine wearing as a "pretty smell", but it's a fascinating achievement of olfaction.

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
YES YES YES - I was about to chime in and say that if it's in the Arabian Horse ballpark, it's got my mark of approval. That's my signature scent, a true masterpiece!

Wow. I truly salute you. Much as I admire Arabian Horse, I don't think I could ever make it a daily wear.

Janjanjan

Oct 1, 2013
Wow. I truly salute you. Much as I admire Arabian Horse, I don't think I could ever make it a daily wear.

Well it's not a daily wear, I use it for special occasions, both because it's not suited for that as you note and also the juice is pricy so I save it for when I want to leave my mark!

Andy the frenchy

Sep 16, 2018
My first thought is that it's got its work cut out for it if it plans to supersede the original Arabian Horse by Parfumerie Generale...

https://www.basenotes.net/ID26140448.html

...which is a truly breathtaking work of imagination.

Yes it's stunning. One of the only fb worthy from that house (for me). Supposedly made with 200+ ingredients...

I SO wanted to love this one! But I don't get any 'horsiness' out of it at all.

Neither do I. I see it more as a floral amber.

Well it's not a daily wear, I use it for special occasions, both because it's not suited for that as you note and also the juice is pricy so I save it for when I want to leave my mark!

Indeed. The priciest of that house. It's 2 years I'm eyeing it, and refraining form that purchase because I know that I wouldn;t wear it often. But if you wear it often, it's totally worth it.

I'm thinking of organizing a split of that one, because $300+ a pop for a casual wear seems a lot to me.

strifeknot

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Mar 28, 2008
This house is overdue for a new fragrance, and this one sounds great. Interesting thoughts on Arabian Horse, a fragrance I've never tried, but I guess I should now.

Emanuel76

Jun 16, 2018
Why didn't they mention the top notes? There are no top notes, or it's a surprise?

I hope there are no citruses.

cheapimitation

May 15, 2015
A brave move, looking forward to your impressions! I'll definitely add a sample to my next Nose order.

I just tried my sample of Nuit de Bakelite again and oh boy it's wild ride. I wish I could get a 10ml as I could never see really wearing this, and it also seems I'm allergic to tuberose as it (and sadly Carnal Flower) left little red bumps where I sprayed it :-(

But it's such an olfactory experience, I just want to spray it on a card from time to time which is enough to fill the room.

Okay, I just bought it blind from Nose. Will report once I’ve received it.

cazaubon

Basenotes Plus
Jan 1, 2005
My bottle just arrived and I’m testing it right now. Opening is birch tar, reminds me a bit of Hiram Green Hyde, fortunately without the barbecued meat smell, just smoke. Not what I would call animalic. Bois d’Ascèse has a bunch of incense, this has way less. Main notes for me are leather, smoky wood and birch tar, with small amounts of amber, rose and patchouli rounding it out. I’m happy with my purchase.

Edit: it also reminded me of MdO Cuir mid-way through the drydown. After several hours, it sweetened and the amber became more prominent.

Last edited:

Emanuel76

Jun 16, 2018
Perfumer : Bertrand Duchaufour

o.9873.2.jpg

My bottle just arrived and I’m testing it right now. Opening is birch tar, reminds me a bit of Hiram Green Hyde, fortunately without the barbecued meat smell, just smoke. Not what I would call animalic. Bois d’Ascèse has a bunch of incense, this has way less. Main notes for me are leather, smoky wood and birch tar, with small amounts of amber, rose and patchouli rounding it out. I’m happy with my purchase.

Edit: it also reminded me of MdO Cuir mid-way through the drydown. After several hours, it sweetened and the amber became more prominent.
Your review (first impression) is a little confusing to me.

Where is the body of the horse? :undecided:

cazaubon

Basenotes Plus
Jan 1, 2005
T
o.9873.2.jpg

Your review (first impression) is a little confusing to me.

Where is the body of the horse? :undecided:

Of course leather is made from cow hides and is thus by nature «*animalic*». I guess I should have said it doesn’t smell like a horse. There are also no sweaty, hairy or fecal notes, which are what I consider animalic. There’s no «*funk*» in other words.

Latest News