NEW Dior Sauvage Elixir

rynegne

Jul 25, 2012
I've got about three hours of wear time now...This is a really nice fragrance and I enjoy the way it progresses through the top to mid and base notes.

To start you have that Sauvage Signature Accord..."freshly laundered clothing" vibe of traditional Sauvage combined with sugary-sweet licorice. As the sweetness dies down a bit and the licorice notes fade I get hints of coffee and faint lemon with cinnamon. The coffee note fades quickly and I'm left with a slightly fresh-spicy Sandalwood, baking spices and lavender. The Sauvage accord...as I'll call it weaves it's way in and out throughout the wear.

FWIW my wife kept asking me what I was wearing today and complimented me several times on how good I smelled. She tends to like fresher fragrances and I prefer more interesting or unique scents. I think Sauvage Elixir falls nicely between the two, a nice compromise! I'm impressed with the fragrance, although I do think it's a bit overpriced...would have been more of a value at 3.4oz but it's not a terrible price by any means considering the performance on this seems to be quite good, even on skin.

Sam35

Jul 9, 2021
Gah, it's iffy.

Here's my view. I recently joined the "sauvage club", even though I have some 400+ fragrances in my collection, I thought why not go for it. Now generally with Sauvage, people say it can be "soapy", I sort of agree but in a good way. In terms of longevity, average.

My dog can actually showcase how long fragrances last, where a quick single spray of Givenchy gentleman edp last about a week on him (no joke at all), Sauvage was terrible. Probably an hour at best. I like it, longevity doesn't.

Anyway, onto Elixir. I had a sample tester bottle and meh. So on first sprays it gave me a sore throat. It seems the smell is very much like the old gilette shaving foam or something similar. It's that sweet eurgh stuff which just lingers in a bad way. These days you shave with foam because you have to, not because you want to.

How it lasted was just average. An hour or 2 and gone. I just can't understand why people like it. The dog spray..... an hour later and not scent at all from him.

* Note, I only spray my dog very softly and on the back as instructed by a leading vet. No PH balance of my dogs coat was affected.

Anyway, for the price, it's not very good. Will I buy it? Probably, looks nice in my cabinet I guess.

speckmann0706

Mar 8, 2017
Something sounds off with the tester bottle if the performance is that bad, everyone else gets basically forever performance. Hopefully you get a better feel for it and discover what everyone else is experiencing. I’ve yet to smell it but look forward to seeing what the fuss is about since a excellent designer fragrance seems forever ago.

rynegne

Jul 25, 2012
I literally just took a shower about a half hour ago and I can still smell Sauvage Elixir on my skin...after about 10 hours of wear...went for a walk and showered and I can still smell it. Guessing either you're nose blind to it or something is off with the bottle you have.

Kaern

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 2, 2008
I get hints of coffee and faint lemon with cinnamon. The coffee note fades quickly..........

Thanks -- only one other review has mentioned a coffee note (apart from me). Maybe it drifts in and out? I thought I detected it quite early on.

broguesforsir

Aug 19, 2012
Had my bottle for a while but tried it for the first time today.

I really like it. To me it has a cool (aesthetically, not temperature) melancholy about it.

ChuckW

Aug 21, 2001
Elixir takes me back over 30 years to when I was wearing Givenchy Xeryus at a strange home in a neighboring county from wear I grew up. VERY fuzzy memory to say the least. I think I was wearing a sweater and it was winter. So odd how scents can do that. Closest things to a time machine that I know of. Some scents just trigger an immediate memory association. Freaky powerful.

broguesforsir

Aug 19, 2012
Elixir takes me back over 30 years to when I was wearing Givenchy Xeryus at a strange home in a neighboring county from wear I grew up. VERY fuzzy memory to say the least. I think I was wearing a sweater and it was winter. So odd how scents can do that. Closest things to a time machine that I know of. Some scents just trigger an immediate memory association. Freaky powerful.

Absolutely. They certainly can. On my first wearing I definitely got some memories of wearing Drakka Noir in the 80’s as a teenager and then in the late dry down I was even getting memories of Shulton’s Insignia - 80’s again.

ChuckW

Aug 21, 2001
Wearing Elixir today and enjoying it. I only wore two sprays, but honestly I probably needed another. This is NOT a monster on me by any stretch. Must be my skin or my nose, but none of the Sauvages nor the Bleu's are great performers for me.

Danny Mitchell

Mar 21, 2019
I have a sample, thanks to a good b-notes buddy, and tried it this morning. I wouldn't say that I was let-down but I was expecting a little bit more. I guess I can blame the rave reviews but I can see where all of you are coming from. The DNA is still there are extremely strong. A lot of cinnamon, too. Out of everything in the line, I think I still like the Parfum the most. I need to go back and sample the rest of the line.

Redneck Perfumisto

League of Cycloöctadiene Isomer Aestheticists
Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
Smelled and wore this today for the first time.

My thoughts:

- Sauvage DNA strong, and I think it's the best part
- the "rich" part of the EDT is the basis of the scent
- the radiant cold fresh chill is gone, now WARM
- grew on me very quickly - addictive stuff
- my wife doesn't like it - "too stimulating" - LOL
- I think Demachy nailed his objective here
- Elixir is the Bleu Parfum of Sauvages
- FBW for me, but pricey & wife no likey, so on hold
- Nonetheless, 5* fragrance, IMO

gerbick

Jun 13, 2009
Finally wearing this one fully today. Not a spray on my arm or just a spray on my shirt... a full blown twin spray on the chest and this reminds me of something else. Something older.

I truly like this one.

Redneck Perfumisto

League of Cycloöctadiene Isomer Aestheticists
Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
Finally wearing this one fully today. Not a spray on my arm or just a spray on my shirt... a full blown twin spray on the chest and this reminds me of something else. Something older.

I truly like this one.

Yes, there is some weirdly familiar note or accord that I feel like I can almost but not quite call out!

Nele023

Sep 18, 2021
Hello everyone, good friend of mine recommended me this community, as a quality and one would say with "tr00" and pure emotion expression of members about fragrances. Therefore I decided to join and read some articles, and also share my expression with you lot.

So, I was on a business trip to Malta and Italy recently, and cousin of mine wrote to me on social media chat, that the new Dior Sauvage Elixir is out there and that it's nothing like any from the Sauvage line, for him it was a blasting good experience. So it made my body tingle, because I was on a cruise ship, and due to Covid-19 situation, I couldn't embark to try it in any shop. Until last night, I found myself on Milan Malpensa airport, with more or less 2 hours in my disposal for lurking around and sniffing. First thing what I did, was to go and buy one nice whiskey bottle that I have tried before, but there's no store in my country that sells it, and I did like it very much. Right after that, in front of me, there was this HUGE open space of all kind of brands and perfumes and scents... It felt like I was a shy little kiddo, in a candy store, simply eating everything around with my eyes, that were scanning the billboards and searching for DIOR name on it. Right away, with no hesitation, I ran right to the stand and patiently waited 10 minutes, in hope that someone from the shop crew will attend me. Of course that didn't happen, as it is open space zone, you are free to lurk on your own, try and test as many things as your soul desires. And all that time, my desire was to test Dior Sauvage Elixir. Once again, I looked around myself, to the left, to the right, made one whole circle around the stand, and then imperceptibly managed to grab the bottle from the showcase, almost as I was about to steal it, but use one shy spray on the foreskin of my left hand, put it right back and I immediately ran away.

As the current situation requires of us, I had to wear a mask all the time, but I took some unaccountable liberty to uncover my nose and sniff from time to time my hand, whilst roaming around, looking for some quality Italian espresso coffee beans, chocolate and some more gifts for the family members. My lord, straight from the opening, both of my nostrils felt like war tanks of herbal spices ran through them, someone would even say peppery scent, but I knew all the way it was thanks to pure herbal lavender, with a scent of grapefruit rind and cinnamon nutmeg, and that finish of earthy patchouli on the top was like a cherry on the top! For the first time I had no desire to take off my mask, as the scent got saved inside of it. The only mistake I have made, was that I didn't let it make me feel sober again, I had to sniff more and more and even more... After two hours has passed, I ended up a bit tipsy only, but it felt so good, after the shock therapy, scent dried down to a warm woody base, dear Lord if someone had told me a Sauvage from Dior is wooden scent perfume, I would've smack him over the head with open palm, but no Sir, this was true pleasure and shock for myself as well, especially because of the subtle nice touch, that works very well with the barely noticeable vetiver and resinous amber, oh my...

Found myself standing in the middle of airport, looking at the floor and trying to think, where was I headed at? I knew there's something more I wanted to buy, but I couldn't stop the thoughts from Elixir, found myself with a discount coupon of 15% (got it on the counter while I was buying whiskey), and all I knew, I'm turning around, straight forward to the Dior stand, I'm taking the box from the shelf and rushing towards cashier to purchase. I didn't buy this perfume, it bought me. Hopefully, I will be able to wear it well, because it is nothing like previous ones, this is more dark spicy scent, almost reminds me of very musculine middle-eastern warrior with whom you wouldn't want to start a brawl. And being said so, with no disrespect to anyone, this is leaning to more to niche gourmets.

In the end, the price of 60ml bottle was 110 euros, with 15% discount coupon it was mine for only 93.50 euros, and I don't regret a single cent, projection is there, longevity is there, everything that we've already been used to when it comes to Sauvage.

Johnny_Ludlow

Nov 2, 2004
I went to try this with big expectations. It sounded like something I would appreciate. Modernized 80's style fragrance with a licorice and lavender accord and loads of well made spices.

Reality was different. I unfortunately cannot name the molecyle that ruins it for me, but I cannot get past it. Smells absolutely nuclear and like a laboratory mishap. Behind this I can almost detect something subtle and of high quality.

But since the fault is obviously in my nose and brain combo, I will not write a review. To me it's actively offensive and very grating.

imm0rtelle

Apr 2, 2021
Reality was different. I unfortunately cannot name the molecyle that ruins it for me, but I cannot get past it. Smells absolutely nuclear and like a laboratory mishap. Behind this I can almost detect something subtle and of high quality.

But since the fault is obviously in my nose and brain combo, I will not write a review. To me it's actively offensive and very grating.

I experienced the same issue. The woody aromachemical they're using feels like an axe pick digging into my brain.

Sandy

Jan 15, 2005
Hello everyone, good friend of mine recommended me this community, as a quality and one would say with "tr00" and pure emotion expression of members about fragrances. Therefore I decided to join and read some articles, and also share my expression with you lot.

So, I was on a business trip to Malta and Italy recently, and cousin of mine wrote to me on social media chat, that the new Dior Sauvage Elixir is out there and that it's nothing like any from the Sauvage line, for him it was a blasting good experience. So it made my body tingle, because I was on a cruise ship, and due to Covid-19 situation, I couldn't embark to try it in any shop. Until last night, I found myself on Milan Malpensa airport, with more or less 2 hours in my disposal for lurking around and sniffing. First thing what I did, was to go and buy one nice whiskey bottle that I have tried before, but there's no store in my country that sells it, and I did like it very much. Right after that, in front of me, there was this HUGE open space of all kind of brands and perfumes and scents... It felt like I was a shy little kiddo, in a candy store, simply eating everything around with my eyes, that were scanning the billboards and searching for DIOR name on it. Right away, with no hesitation, I ran right to the stand and patiently waited 10 minutes, in hope that someone from the shop crew will attend me. Of course that didn't happen, as it is open space zone, you are free to lurk on your own, try and test as many things as your soul desires. And all that time, my desire was to test Dior Sauvage Elixir. Once again, I looked around myself, to the left, to the right, made one whole circle around the stand, and then imperceptibly managed to grab the bottle from the showcase, almost as I was about to steal it, but use one shy spray on the foreskin of my left hand, put it right back and I immediately ran away.

As the current situation requires of us, I had to wear a mask all the time, but I took some unaccountable liberty to uncover my nose and sniff from time to time my hand, whilst roaming around, looking for some quality Italian espresso coffee beans, chocolate and some more gifts for the family members. My lord, straight from the opening, both of my nostrils felt like war tanks of herbal spices ran through them, someone would even say peppery scent, but I knew all the way it was thanks to pure herbal lavender, with a scent of grapefruit rind and cinnamon nutmeg, and that finish of earthy patchouli on the top was like a cherry on the top! For the first time I had no desire to take off my mask, as the scent got saved inside of it. The only mistake I have made, was that I didn't let it make me feel sober again, I had to sniff more and more and even more... After two hours has passed, I ended up a bit tipsy only, but it felt so good, after the shock therapy, scent dried down to a warm woody base, dear Lord if someone had told me a Sauvage from Dior is wooden scent perfume, I would've smack him over the head with open palm, but no Sir, this was true pleasure and shock for myself as well, especially because of the subtle nice touch, that works very well with the barely noticeable vetiver and resinous amber, oh my...

Found myself standing in the middle of airport, looking at the floor and trying to think, where was I headed at? I knew there's something more I wanted to buy, but I couldn't stop the thoughts from Elixir, found myself with a discount coupon of 15% (got it on the counter while I was buying whiskey), and all I knew, I'm turning around, straight forward to the Dior stand, I'm taking the box from the shelf and rushing towards cashier to purchase. I didn't buy this perfume, it bought me. Hopefully, I will be able to wear it well, because it is nothing like previous ones, this is more dark spicy scent, almost reminds me of very musculine middle-eastern warrior with whom you wouldn't want to start a brawl. And being said so, with no disrespect to anyone, this is leaning to more to niche gourmets.

In the end, the price of 60ml bottle was 110 euros, with 15% discount coupon it was mine for only 93.50 euros, and I don't regret a single cent, projection is there, longevity is there, everything that we've already been used to when it comes to Sauvage.

Hi friend from the neighborhood :) It's really a very enjoyable account, thank you very much. Still I haven't had the chance to try it (alas Douglas seems not to carry it), but you've made it clear I should.

Smellyicious

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 17, 2021
Smelled and wore this today for the first time.

My thoughts:

- Sauvage DNA strong, and I think it's the best part
- the "rich" part of the EDT is the basis of the scent
- the radiant cold fresh chill is gone, now WARM
- grew on me very quickly - addictive stuff
- my wife doesn't like it - "too stimulating" - LOL
- I think Demachy nailed his objective here
- Elixir is the Bleu Parfum of Sauvages
- FBW for me, but pricey & wife no likey, so on hold
- Nonetheless, 5* fragrance, IMO

My wife doesn’t like it. I bought it anyway. This stuff makes me weak in the knees.

sjg3839

Aug 21, 2012
Sampled at Sephora today. Nice! Has the Sauvage DNA with a richer and smoother vibe. A mature version of Sauvage. A future purchase for sure. 8/10

thescentguru

May 12, 2019
I jumped on the hype train even though I'm not really a fan of Sauvage, Dior is my favorite designer house and respect is due. Compared to the EDT this is way more appealing though it retains the DNA solidly. An easy wear and I'm sure crowd pleasing it's not one to really simulate me as I prefer darker more "challenging" fragrance. Performance as with the EDT is a solid 8 hours or so.

Sam35

Jul 9, 2021
Something sounds off with the tester bottle if the performance is that bad, everyone else gets basically forever performance. Hopefully you get a better feel for it and discover what everyone else is experiencing. I’ve yet to smell it but look forward to seeing what the fuss is about since a excellent designer fragrance seems forever ago.

It wasn't a "tester" it was an official 1ml sample bottle. I've since bought it just because and yeah, certainly lasts a while longer but still not great.

Literally, I remember the scent now... some 15 years ago. Gillette mini foam dispenser. Blue gel comes out. It was always a bit of a too fresh smell, one that I'd cover up with some darker fragrances.

I'm totally in the minority here of course but sitting in a similar scent I didn't like 15 years ago and tried to cover up as quickly as possible just means this is an instant dislike from me really.

Hugh V.

Dec 9, 2016
I just sampled this the other day. Wow, it's very reminiscent of Drakkar Noir. A modern, blue 2021 DN. It's way too spicy for my tastes though, but it seems like it'd make a good winter fragrance.

Hugh V.

Dec 9, 2016
Dior Sauvage Elixir
The descriptions of this were definitely accurate. Very reminiscent of Drakkar Noir while being its own thing. My dad used to wear Drakkar Noir and still likes to wear it from time to time, but he doesn't like to wear older stuff much because he thinks it ages him. I might gift him a bottle of this down the road. Had I known about this for his birthday, I would have got this over the Santos de Cartier.

Dior Eau Sauvage
I smelled this once on a tester years ago when I first started getting into fragrance, but I quickly wrote it off and smelling "old" and basic. I tried this the other day, and damn, this is a beautiful scent! It opens up with this big blast of the old old school, but then it turns into this very lemony, clean scent. I got a bit of a 4711 vibe, but this was much, much better. It was almost too lemony, as I'd be a little concerned people would dismiss it as some kind of cleaning product. Screw it, I like it. The dry down has what I want to say is a hint of creaminess or something soft. Maybe the musk note? But the very bright lemon smoothes out more.

Damn, this is a really nice fragrance, and it definitely lives up to the "gentlemanly" reputation. If I were to compare it to other fragrances it would be Armani Eau Pour Homme, 4711, and Grey Flannel. From what I remember of the Armani, they both have that old, old lemony "fresh" scent, but the Dior smells cleaner, fresher, and less warm. 4711 because of the old school lemony smell. And Grey Flannel because they both have a dandy vibe to them. But the Dior isn't overly floral or powdery, which is a plus.

This is still kind of pricey for a designer, but it smells worth it. I'm going to do another testing, and if I can at least get 6 hours out of it, it'll be purchase-worthy.

Jan 23, 2020
I have tried Elixir a handful of times now, and every time I get similar performance. Within 30 minutes it becomes a close skin scent and a few hours later it's barely noticed on my, even by my wife when she's hugging me etc. Had performance been good I could have forgiven it for being a relatively boring scent.

Staff online

Latest News