NEW Dior Sauvage Elixir

Redneck Perfumisto

League of Cycloöctadiene Isomer Aestheticists
Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
155.00 for a 2oz. Lol
I will definitely not get this.

Even as a fan of the EDT, I've held out on EDP and Parfum, so this needs to bring some serious wood to the game to make me jump at that price. I've got several great contenders for that cash already. Picky as I am, I'll still call it a home run if it is, buy or no buy.

I'm excited to sample it...

I never had (too much) of a problem with the scent. Synthetic? Yes. Does that automatically mean it's trash? Not in my book.

Plus, logic tells me that the higher the concentration is, the smoother and less harsh it'll most likely be, think Interlude 53 vs Normal Interlude, and see some people's experiences with the Parfum version earlier in the thread.

I, for one, am excited to try this out, I always avoided buying a bottle of Sauvage to avoid smelling like every other guy, but at the end of the day, this DNA just works for people, and I've had alot of people in my life ask me why I don't own any Sauvage and they always tell me how much they love it.

My friends like it, someone I'm interested in likes it, and I don't find it all that offensive a scent. I wear fragrance for myself above all, but this is a nice safe one. Always good to have some of those, and this is potentially a more quality version of that profile.

I won't get into the whole "buT iT'S not WOrTh thE PRice" aspect of it, since I really think any fragrance is worth whatever it is you're willing to pay for it if you like it, regardless of what the rest of the market looks like.

All I know is this... I see Sauvage in my future.

Frankly, this is a "niche" offering at a low niche price - I'm with you - nothing excessive about an extrait in that volume at that price. My Bleu Parfum performs like crazy - one light half-spray lasts all day and makes my shirt smell like it for a week. 100 mL will last forever, and the 90% bottle left in my estate will likely be worth enough to cover flowers! :wink: These parfums and extraits are all steals at these prices. These bottles will be trading forever!

NickZee

Sep 19, 2014
I must say at that price, Elixir is likely to be culled when sales trail off. It’s just not going to be the sort of fragrance that makes it into Christmas stockings. Might take a few years. Once the die-hards have their bottle the sales will likely fall off a cliff. And Dior doesn’t let discounters get their claws in either. So if I like this, I will likely grab a couple of bottles

Last edited:

thefury2000

Jan 18, 2015
I understand some people who are "new" to the game might not understand concentrations but for those people who have been around for years, it still baffles me how they think the higher the concentration the bigger the projection and "beast mode".

If done properly, the higher the oil content, the more smooth the fragrance should be, the more the notes should stand out in the blend and the longer lasting it should be in longevity.
Projection should be LESS at higher concentration because there is less alcohol.

Anyone who complains about the EDT being too loud but the scent being nice, should actually be looking forward to this release........if they execute it correctly...

imm0rtelle

Apr 2, 2021
Projection should be LESS at higher concentration because there is less alcohol.

This is interesting and something that I've heard parroted often. Somehow it doesn't make sense intuitively to my brain. I always read that how much a fragrance projects is primarily down to the weight of the chemicals and how the chemicals are interacting with each other. When we smell something strongly, it has a high volatility and is largely independent from the carrier (alcohol). It doesn't make sense that if you diluted the Parfum with more alcohol, it would suddenly project more if you spray the equivalent amount of fragrance oil on your skin when compared to the undiluted version. It makes more sense that a cologne, and EdT, are designed to project more through the inclusion of specific aroma chemicals rather than just because they have more alcohol in their formula. Can anyone chime in about this?

speckmann0706

Mar 8, 2017
This is interesting and something that I've heard parroted often. Somehow it doesn't make sense intuitively to my brain. I always read that how much a fragrance projects is primarily down to the weight of the chemicals and how the chemicals are interacting with each other. When we smell something strongly, it has a high volatility and is largely independent from the carrier (alcohol). It doesn't make sense that if you diluted the Parfum with more alcohol, it would suddenly project more if you spray the equivalent amount of fragrance oil on your skin when compared to the undiluted version. It makes more sense that a cologne, and EdT, are designed to project more through the inclusion of specific aroma chemicals rather than just because they have more alcohol in their formula. Can anyone chime in about this?

Yup just look at Dior Homme Parfum, Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum 2012 damn nukes in the Parfum concentration!:laugh:

thefury2000

Jan 18, 2015

There are extra things that can affect it. Chemicals are one. Yes, you can’t just add more alcohol to make it project more or use less to make it last longer. It’s not as simple as that. The composition can be unstable if the wrong ingredients are in the wrong volumes etc. It has to be blended properly.
But in its raw sense, alcohol evaporating off the skin allows the fragrance molecules to project further.
Hence why old school aftershaves would fill a room and choke people out…..but be scentless an hour later lol.

My point is that you can’t just assume that “the original edt was a beast, therefore The pure perfum/elixir version will be even more beastly”
. If done correctly, it’s probably the opposite.

Ray005

Jan 13, 2018
I was able to smell it. My friend was mailed a 5ml. I don't know where he got it from. He finished it. I wasn't able to spray it. But I sniffed the top sprayer part. From what I got this is similar to the parfum version. I haven't sniffed the Fahrenheit in many years. There something in Fahrenheit this new one has. Besides that one is just like Parfum. 155 for something pretty much similar is pointless. From what I smelled. It's not worth it. If a collector wants it. 155 for a 3.4oz is manageable. But for a 2 ounce. They are ripping you off. I'm not a big fan of Sauvage. I wear it because my wife bought me both the toilette and it Parfum. I have gotten more compliments with the toilette. That's why that bottle I put on more and is almost done.

Mikeaveli2682

Apr 18, 2018
I was able to smell it. My friend was mailed a 5ml. I don't know where he got it from. He finished it. I wasn't able to spray it. But I sniffed the top sprayer part. From what I got this is similar to the parfum version. I haven't sniffed the Fahrenheit in many years. There something in Fahrenheit this new one has. Besides that one is just like Parfum. 155 for something pretty much similar is pointless. From what I smelled. It's not worth it. If a collector wants it. 155 for a 3.4oz is manageable. But for a 2 ounce. They are ripping you off. I'm not a big fan of Sauvage. I wear it because my wife bought me both the toilette and it Parfum. I have gotten more compliments with the toilette. That's why that bottle I put on more and is almost done.

Please excuse me if I don't put much stock in a review based on smelling the atomizer of an empty sample

Ray005

Jan 13, 2018

I didn't even know someone reviewed it! He's a pretty good reviewer. He talks about fragrance that most people don't talk about. That's why stopped listening to reviews on YouTube. Maybe it's that gasoline smell that reminded me little bit of Fahrenheit when I smelled Elixir. In my earlier post when I said something about this reminds me of Fahrenheit. That's probably what it is.

Last edited:

imm0rtelle

Apr 2, 2021

Teaser of something that will be released in September apparently. The bottle looks like Sauvage Elixir.

Francois Demachy says, "it is a subtle Sauvage." I wonder if he's referring to the Elixir.

smellyD

Feb 7, 2014
Haha, Seb has never learned to actually look at the camera, even in his thumbnails.

The petrol vibe definitely makes this sound more interesting. I'm getting a bit excited to test this one.

He replied to a comment to say that it didn't smell like the petrol accord in Fahrenheit. It was more of a dirty/spicy feel. I'm really looking forward to smelling this. I hope it meets or exceeds Fahrenheit Parfum in terms of quality and creativity.

deltasun

Jun 12, 2017
He replied to a comment to say that it didn't smell like the petrol accord in Fahrenheit. It was more of a dirty/spicy feel. I'm really looking forward to smelling this. I hope it meets or exceeds Fahrenheit Parfum in terms of quality and creativity.

A little dirty-ness can't hurt. Looking forward to it also!

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
When I think we arrived the rock bottom I just discover it has an underground.

EmptySimplisticHyracotherium-max-1mb.gif

I'm still interested though! :vrolijk_1:

imm0rtelle

Apr 2, 2021

Probably why Johnny says it gives off a "punk rock" feeling.

Andy the frenchy

Sep 16, 2018
Saw this on Reddit. Can't confirm its authenticity but I thought I would share.. Even more expensive than the Parfum ($155 for 2 oz.).

After niche discounted at mall pricing online, we now get a further mall frag overpriced at niche pricing in stores.
Still missing:

Sauvage Intense
Sauvage Extreme
Sauvage Absolu
Sauvage Wood
Sauvage Vetiver
Sauvage Leather
Sauvage Cologne
Sauvage Eau
Sauvage Sport
Sauvage Edition Blanche

newatthis66

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 15, 2019
Got a 2 ml. sample today at Dillard's in South Florida [ Broward county] The store received a sample bottle this week. They are accepting orders and anticipate product will be in stores late August.
Tried it this afternoon and it is not for me. Then again I didn't care for the Dior Sauvage original so I may not be a good judge.

Manuel

Rogue Perfumery
Basenotes Plus
Nov 18, 2005
It's my SOTD and actually like this more than I thought I would.

Where were you able to source your bottle Hednic?

I asked the SA about the new release at Dillard’s the other day. She side glanced me with a smirk and quietly said “not yeeeet” :)

hednic

Oct 25, 2007
Where were you able to source your bottle Hednic?

I asked the SA about the new release at Dillard’s the other day. She side glanced me with a smirk and quietly said “not yeeeet” :)
It was purchased for me by a business associate at a Duty Free Shop in Manama.

Manuel

Rogue Perfumery
Basenotes Plus
Nov 18, 2005
I actually got to test this one today. Went back to Dillard’s and the SA remembered me from my last visit and pulled a tester bottle from the cabinet. I find it very recognizable as a Sauvage fragrance by way of Sauvage Parfum but by no means redundant. Elixer is earthy and spicy; not cinnamon/clove spicy. I get the impression of spices like black cardamom, caraway and nigella. I don’t pick up “sweetness” although I detect some vanilla-like note deep in the base. Performance is stellar. It’s not obnoxiously in your face but that one spritz keeps projecting like a little machine LOL.

GoldWineMemories

Nov 22, 2019
I actually got to test this one today. Went back to Dillard’s and the SA remembered me from my last visit and pulled a tester bottle from the cabinet. I find it very recognizable as a Sauvage fragrance by way of Sauvage Parfum but by no means redundant. Elixer is earthy and spicy; not cinnamon/clove spicy. I get the impression of spices like black cardamom, caraway and nigella. I don’t pick up “sweetness” although I detect some vanilla-like note deep in the base. Performance is stellar. It’s not obnoxiously in your face but that one spritz keeps projecting like a little machine LOL.

That sounds wonderful actually.

deltasun

Jun 12, 2017

Thanks for your impressions. Will have to seek out a tester bottle or sample.

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012

Thanks for your thoughts, Manuel!

Nastka

Mar 6, 2011

This actually sounds like something I'd like to try now.

adamn2020

May 29, 2018
Got my bottle in today, and I’m actually impressed!

First spray on the back of the hand, and you are hot with some sweet, lavender, and small amount of spice accord. About 10 minutes into it, the sweetness wears off and the classic Sauvage starts to settle into the background. It’s has a certain “aromatic” feel to it, which I think this will be perfect for the office, it’s not as offensive as the EDT but more of a mature version with a splash of lavender or something.

Is it worth the $155 retail price tag for a 2oz bottle? Ehhhh probably not. You can spend $155 on some other offerings, but if you can get this for cheaper, then I would definitely recommend. Make sure you keep your original bottle, because I predict the batch talk happening in the years to come.
787A8A19-E5D6-4DCF-AFCC-69736762A72B.jpg

imm0rtelle

Apr 2, 2021
Got my bottle in today, and I’m actually impressed!

First spray on the back of the hand, and you are hot with some sweet, lavender, and small amount of spice accord. About 10 minutes into it, the sweetness wears off and the classic Sauvage starts to settle into the background. It’s has a certain “aromatic” feel to it, which I think this will be perfect for the office, it’s not as offensive as the EDT but more of a mature version with a splash of lavender or something.

Is it worth the $155 retail price tag for a 2oz bottle? Ehhhh probably not. You can spend $155 on some other offerings, but if you can get this for cheaper, then I would definitely recommend. Make sure you keep your original bottle, because I predict the batch talk happening in the years to come.
View attachment 158910

Johnny says it feels punk rock to him, does it feel punk rock to you?

Staff online

Latest News