New Dior Homme Flanker Your Thoughts ?

Foamywax

Basenotes Dependent
May 2, 2013
Now I can't even try it with all stores closed for a month here. But from what I've read here I'm not missing much..

Twilight99

Basenotes Junkie
Nov 23, 2013
I know people say the new Dior Homme is mass appealing and generically good smelling, but personally I recoiled when smelling it the first time. It is just completely repulsive to me. I had exactly the same reaction to Dior Sauvage too. Both just smells like some chemical soup to me. I keep wondering why the two most popular new fragrances from Dior smell so totally disgusting to me.

On the other hand, I do love Dior Homme Original, Intense, and Parfume.

Alonewithcologne

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 12, 2017
I spoke to the Dior Production Manager last year before the release of DH 2020 and was told that they had done extensive tests and that all the ladies in the house really like the new DH 2020.
I can well imagine that DH 2020 is rated better by women on average than "Dior Homme Original".
Bleu de Chanel or Sauvage are not olfactory revelations either, but they are very popular. I think Dior just wanted more of the cake there.

I'm referring mostly to decisions regarding Dior not selling certain fragrances in the U.S. even on their website. With Dior Homme 2020, the mistake is not making sure it lasts a long time on skin. There are so many long lasting, mass-appealing, woody aromachemicals that I doubt they couldn't have made something very similar that lasts at least as long as Sauvage EDT. Take Bvlgari Wood Neroli for example, the woody base on that is mass-appealing, and lasts all day on my skin. When it comes to Dior, I really expect them to knock it out of the park with their new releases, but this and Sauvage Parfum were disappointing.

Danny Mitchell

Basenotes Institution
Mar 21, 2019
I'm referring mostly to decisions regarding Dior not selling certain fragrances in the U.S. even on their website. With Dior Homme 2020, the mistake is not making sure it lasts a long time on skin. There are so many long lasting, mass-appealing, woody aromachemicals that I doubt they couldn't have made something very similar that lasts at least as long as Sauvage EDT. Take Bvlgari Wood Neroli for example, the woody base on that is mass-appealing, and lasts all day on my skin. When it comes to Dior, I really expect them to knock it out of the park with their new releases, but this and Sauvage Parfum were disappointing.

I get tons of projection and longevity with my bottle of DH 2020. All noses differ but I'd chalk this one up to nose-blindness, which this one is notorious for.

FragFrog

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 6, 2018

I still have a 5 ml decant of DH 2020 and on my skin it performs annoyingly good.
So no complaints here - but I don't like the smell that much.

Alonewithcologne

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 12, 2017
I get tons of projection and longevity with my bottle of DH 2020. All noses differ but I'd chalk this one up to nose-blindness, which this one is notorious for.

I still have a 5 ml decant of DH 2020 and on my skin it performs annoyingly good.
So no complaints here - but I don't like the smell that much.

Thanks for your perspectives. I'll give it another shot, and see if other people can smell it on me eight hours in. If it lasts, it would be a very practical office fragrance, which is something I'm always looking for.

Foamywax

Basenotes Dependent
May 2, 2013
Their in house perfumer is obviously and purposefully trying to show who is the perfumer of Dior now..
And Dior are letting him because Sauvage is selling like hotcakes.

Twilight99

Basenotes Junkie
Nov 23, 2013
Their in house perfumer is obviously and purposefully trying to show who is the perfumer of Dior now..
And Dior are letting him because Sauvage is selling like hotcakes.

It’s the same guy that made Dior Homme Parfum and Fahrenheit Parfum, so he can definitely make epic perfumes if he so chooses.

Foamywax

Basenotes Dependent
May 2, 2013
Fahrenheit parfum is still Fahrenheit.
Although both of those by demachy are great I agree.
I thought he was a young perfumer. Just saw an interview with him he's not young at all. Don't know what gave me that impression.
I was thinking today that if someone wants the iris like the one from Dior Homme, Valentino uomo is the perfect choice.

Foamywax

Basenotes Dependent
May 2, 2013
I find the parfum to be a contemporary take on the original. The fahrenheit dna is still there. That's just my opinion. I've tried it a few times and that's the impression I got.

Twilight99

Basenotes Junkie
Nov 23, 2013
I find the parfum to be a contemporary take on the original. The fahrenheit dna is still there. That's just my opinion. I've tried it a few times and that's the impression I got.

I agree with you there. While Fahrenheit Parfum is significantly different from the original Fahrenheit, you can definitely smell the similarities. Even with a different name and bottle I would notice that. A contemporary take on the original is a good description.

Last edited:

Danny Mitchell

Basenotes Institution
Mar 21, 2019
If I'm sniffing blind, and I've never tried it before, I'm not sure I'd made the Fahrenheit association. Maybe I would. Bottom line, I guess, is just that I'm surprised Fahrenheit Parfum was described as being too similar to the EDT. That's a new one, folks. Based on basenotes history anyway.

Latest News