New Dior Homme Flanker Your Thoughts ?

augustya

Basenotes Junkie
Oct 4, 2014
Hi Guys,

Just wanted to share my experience with you guys and at the same time wanted to ask you guys what do you guys think about it ? So yesterday I had a chance to sell the New Dior Homme and I was very pleased and happy smelling it. It kind of smelled great. I feel it is the best Dior Homme Flanker to come out. Unlike Dior Homme Parfum this one is very freshy (Do you guys find it Fresh) the store girl kept telling me that you are mistaking it with Dior Homme Sport, but no I am very clear I smell and feel a very fresh vibe out of the New Dior Homme ? Atleast after a 10 minute dry down ! Do you guys also think so ?

Does it smell like a freshly fragrance to you guys ?

I am taking about this one

https://www.dior.com/en_gb/products/beauty-Y0996157-dior-homme-eau-de-toilette

MegaMav

Basenotes Dependent
Dec 12, 2013
The new Dior Homme has the personality of a cardboard box compared to Dior Homme Parfum.

AntonPan

Basenotes Dependent
May 8, 2008
I do not want to get into the history of How the Mew Dior Homme was created and thought about . I want to know if guys here think that the New Dior Homme is a better option when compared to the Dior Homme Parfum ?

They are uncomparable. Dior Homme Parfum and old Dior Homme 1000 times better.
Please read that thread for information.

speckmann0706

Basenotes Dependent
Mar 8, 2017
The new Dior Homme is very versatile and mass pleasing, but IMO does not compare to the quality of Dior Homme Parfum which takes the original Dior Homme EDT before 2020 into a darker territory and smells excellent.

augustya

Basenotes Junkie
Oct 4, 2014
But the new Dior Homme smells very fresh and certainly crowd pleasing imho you cannot go wrong with it ? is it not ? It is like Sauvage ! 8 people out of 10 will like it ?

FragFrog

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 6, 2018
But the new Dior Homme smells very fresh and certainly crowd pleasing imho you cannot go wrong with it ? is it not ? It is like Sauvage ! 8 people out of 10 will like it ?

I guess women will like it when smelling it on a man.

It's not like Sauvage. Sauvage is more about "shower-gel" ambroxan, DH 2020 is more like modern barbershop Iso-E-Super (it does remind me of the smell of the Nivea sensitive shaving foam).

ultravisitor

Basenotes Dependent
Nov 4, 2014
Who cares if most people like it? If I'm the one who's wearing it, then I'm the only one who has to like it, and I don't like it.

Sauvage smells like cheap chemicals.

Jun 7, 2019
I still don't understand why they had to call it Dior Homme. Of course comparisons to the original Dior Homme were going to happen and it was going to leave fans of the OG feeling pissed off. Why not just something new like Dior Man or Dior Uomo.

In regards to the smell, only smelled this one time in a department store and that was pre-covid, so it's been like 6+ months. It was very underwhelming, but objectively didn't smell bad. Crowd pleasing, mass appealing - I can see it selling well, but it's not for me. I wish Dior would return to making classier smelling scents and not just synthetic youth scents like this or Sauvage

PartySnake

Basenotes Junkie
Jan 7, 2020
The new Dior Homme is trash.

Of all the fragrances sold at the counter, it has the least character; it doesn't help that it replaced arguably the best men's fragrance of all time.

Foamywax

Basenotes Dependent
May 2, 2013
How did it replace the original?
In name yes but I thought the original Dior Homme will still be sold in stores no?? I'm very curious to try the new one but it's nowhere near on my wish list. Just got DHI and that's enough for me. (I do want Dune+Fahrenheit though)

PartySnake

Basenotes Junkie
Jan 7, 2020
How did it replace the original?
In name yes but I thought the original Dior Homme will still be sold in stores no?? I'm very curious to try the new one but it's nowhere near on my wish list. Just got DHI and that's enough for me. (I do want Dune+Fahrenheit though)

They axed all of the Dior Homme flankers worth mentioning here in America.
If you live here you typically have two choices, Sausage or DH2020.

Alonewithcologne

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 12, 2017
It does smell like a fresh woody fragrance. The downfall of this fragrance is it's unoriginality and lack of longevity. Sauvage EDT, with it's cold, metallic, peppery take on the blue fragrance theme is more unique smelling than this, especially when it came out. Sauvage also performs better. The new Dior Homme has nothing going for it other than smelling good. As for Dior Homme Parfum, that performs vastly better, is far more unique, and still manages to be somewhat appealing to ordinary noses around the wearer.

Varanis Ridari

The Scented Devil
Basenotes Plus
Oct 17, 2012

I don't prescribe to this train of thought. I wear what I enjoy, not what I think will attract other people to me. Not that I ever cared about such things, but having a secure job and a relationship really erodes any interest in being appealing to strangers. If being into hype is your thing, to each his own, just my two cents on single-minded focus of always being "crowd pleasing" in your fragrance choices. Rules out literally 90% of what the market has to offer in terms of variety, and keeps you eating out of the hands of marketing stiffs and salespeople.

In terms of being fresh, yeah I suppose it is. The stuff is a modern reimagining of a classic citrus chypre, so citrus and wood are the name of the new Dior Homme's game. This style used to be anchored with oakmoss and labdanum, instead of cashmeran and labdanum, but IFRA said no to oakmoss so the only way to bring the style back was to improvise. For that, Dior Homme 2020 gets a nod for creativity.

If you really like citrus and wood combos, there are literally hundreds if not thousands of more distinct options, and I might suggest something like Mancera Cedrat Boise (2011) or Terre d'Hermes for better (but still modern) interpretations of the old citrus/wood one-two punch. If you like Dior Homme 2020 for what it is (not what you think it will do for your date life), go for it, otherwise don't waste any more thought on it. Too many fish in the sea.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Alonewithcologne

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 12, 2017
You know, Bvlgari Wood Neroli is another mass appealing, citrusy, wood based fragrance, but it's more unique and interesting, especially for hobbyists. It also lasts an extremely long time. OP, you may like that one too.

JyyskNotes

Mar 12, 2012
As most have stated above, very underwhelming fragrance overall. I was very open minded testing it out but boy did it disappoint me big time. Fresh and woody scent which reminded me of something like BdC, but way worse. I could see it mass appealing but to me it did absolutely nothing. It really sucks they decided to name it after the legendary Dior Homme which makes no sense at all. And Dior Homme Original being so hard to find anywhere makes this whole situation way worse. If you like the original Dior Homme and you have a chance to buy it, buy it while you can.

cameron

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 17, 2011
Of course it smells good.

Sauvage and Bleu have shown that the big designers will only release popular scents from here on. They will be vetted carefully and have large test audiences to make the chosen DNA the most mass appealing to make the most money.

divad8

Basenotes Member
Jan 16, 2019
It's a mix of the Terre d'Hermes and BdC styles. Super modern, super synthetic. One of the most generic fragrances I've ever smelled. Super lame.

Foamywax

Basenotes Dependent
May 2, 2013
They axed all of the Dior Homme flankers worth mentioning here in America.
If you live here you typically have two choices, Sausage or DH2020.
Is that why DHI cannot be found on the US website?
Who the hell made this decision? Are they crazy?
Dior fragrances don't sell well in the States??
The Americans here on basenoters like DHI more than anyone. Now that I think about it, the only flanker I've never seen here is Dior Parfum but I've seen it online.

PartySnake

Basenotes Junkie
Jan 7, 2020
Is that why DHI cannot be found on the US website?
Who the hell made this decision? Are they crazy?
Dior fragrances don't sell well in the States??
The Americans here on basenoters like DHI more than anyone. Now that I think about it, the only flanker I've never seen here is Dior Parfum but I've seen it online.

Sauvage sells well in the US. Offering Iris based fragrances at the counters puts Americans off from the entire Dior brand.
It was a smart move to remove them from department stores; however, removing the fragrances from the website and refusing to ship to America is a slap in the face to loyal Dior customers.

It would be nice to experience ordering a fragrance directly from Dior, fancy packaging, gift bag, free gifts, certain authenticity.

Foamywax

Basenotes Dependent
May 2, 2013
I don't think that's true. If someone doesn't like DHI they can just try something else at the counter. There's Dune Fahrenheit and Higher. I can understand an iris based fragrance not selling well in the states but there are other offerings.

cameron

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 17, 2011
There is limited shelf space and it’s best occupied by highest sellers such as Bleu and Sauvage.

Jul 7, 2012

If that's all you care about, go for it... though, to be honest, you'd do better with a $15 bottle of Curve.

I think the new Dior Homme is junk. The opening is nice though absolutely generic. A bajillion other scents have been there, done that & done it better, but still... the opening is fine. The base is chemical funk junk.

FragFrog

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 6, 2018
It makes me wonder what's happening to Dior. These are bad decisions by management.

I spoke to the Dior Production Manager last year before the release of DH 2020 and was told that they had done extensive tests and that all the ladies in the house really like the new DH 2020.
I can well imagine that DH 2020 is rated better by women on average than "Dior Homme Original".
Bleu de Chanel or Sauvage are not olfactory revelations either, but they are very popular. I think Dior just wanted more of the cake there.

Latest News