NEW: Cremo - Six New Masculine Scents! | Page 2 | Basenotes

NEW: Cremo - Six New Masculine Scents!

Red Hawk

Dec 4, 2019
Palo Santo is a dupe of Santal 33, right? I'd rather buy the original if it's an outright clone. I had a female cousin who wore it. A very bold scent that skews to the masculine side.

That said, I test drove the Blue Cedar & Cypress as a body wash. Nice, but either it's that saliva note or something that gives it a slight old school dirty vibe is what's preventing me from buying the EDT. A very nice, original scent, but not what I'm looking for these days.

Bourbon & Oak is very much like a designer fragrance, and apparently it's a clone of Caroline Herrera CH Prive. Too heavy for me, but as a body wash, it's very invigorating.

The Silver Water one gave me Creed vibes. While it's a great scent, probably up there with AdG as far as fresh and crowd pleasers go, I just can't get into it.

Distillers Reserve is like a short of liquor.

I'm thinking I'm going to stick with just the beard oils and body washes. The Cedar Forest, Distiller's Reserve, and potentially the Palo Santo seem like great "wake-me-ups" for my morning routine.

I've never tried Santal 33, but like I said, I do have Commodity Book, which I've heard is similar to Santal 33. And Cremo Palo Santo is definitely similar to Book (both go for a paper-y vibe, with Cremo Palo Santo listing a "papyrus" note). So going by that connection I'd wager that CPS is related to Santal 33.

my favorite "dry santal" fragrance is neither of them though - it's a frag called "Soft and Airy Sandalwood" by the company Hawthorne)

Silver Water and Birch has actually become one of my favorites from the house. It's become my go to frag to wear to the gym, the sweet aquatic floral combination just really works for me in the setting. I get whiffs of myself while working out and and get "damn I smell good!" vibes. It also seems to have good performance, as I've worn it through over an hour workout and gotten compliments afterwards. If this is a clone of Silver Mountain Water then the real thing must be phenomenal (at least, older formulations).

Cremo Cooling Shave Cream is really nice stuff. Very minimal irritation even with multiple passes against the grain, close shave, good post shave feel. Rarely feel like I need aftershave with this, the mint & tea tree seem antibacterial enough

I haven't tried the Body Washes or Colognes yet, but from the bottles Sage & Citrus, Palo Santo, and a few others smell pretty good.

How long does the Body Wash scent last post shower?

I agree that Cremo's shave creams are fantastic, but I'd still recommend some sort of moisturizer after shaving, since shaving exfoliates away the outer skin moisture retention layer. Doesn't have to be an "aftershave" though (I've read that the tingly menthol in aftershaves is not so great for skin from a dermatologist's standpoint). I just use a light face moisturizer + sunscreen after shaving.

I don't pay attention to how long the body washes last on their own, that's sort of not the point for me. I always use them in tandem with the matching EDT to make the scent last longer.

I haven't had a chance to try the Distiller's Blend spray cologne, but I did smell the body wash. I got a blast of alcohol straight off the top. Not like a cheap perfume with poor blending and higher than usual alcohol content (this is a body wash, after all), but like when you get the whiff from a glass of whiskey or scotch. It made me pause and think if I wanted to smell like that in the office or while driving.

Well it is called "Distiller's Blend", and it does list "Kentucky Bourbon" as a note. Truth in advertising! The creative director at Cremo must have a small obsession with the smell of bourbon, as they have several scents with "Bourbon" as a note.

I have seen Distiller's Blend get compared to Terre d'Hermes. Again, I'm a pleb who hasn't even tried TdH, but I know Distiller's Blend is similar to Cypress Cedar by Banana Republic, which I've also seen get compared to TdH. May be the combination of an orange note and vetiver (older bottles of Distiller's Blend listed a "spiced citrus" note).

maksidrom

Dec 30, 2003
I have seen Distiller's Blend get compared to Terre d'Hermes. Again, I'm a pleb who hasn't even tried TdH, but I know Distiller's Blend is similar to Cypress Cedar by Banana Republic, which I've also seen get compared to TdH. May be the combination of an orange note and vetiver (older bottles of Distiller's Blend listed a "spiced citrus" note).

FWIW, I don't think BR Cypress Cedar is similar TdH. I can sort of see why some folks compare them, but nope. They share some notes, but IMO Cypress Cedar is more similar to Davidoff Horizon EDT, which again gets compared to TdH. Frankly, anything with citrus, woods and vetiver gets compared to TdH these days, that's why I treat fragrantica's "reminds me of" section with caution.

Whatever I smelled from the bottle of Distiller's Blend body wash didn't remind me of TdH at all.
Which reminds me... I saw the body wash in a few TJX/Marshalls stores this week.

Red Hawk

Dec 4, 2019
FWIW, I don't think BR Cypress Cedar is similar TdH. I can sort of see why some folks compare them, but nope. They share some notes, but IMO Cypress Cedar is more similar to Davidoff Horizon EDT, which again gets compared to TdH. Frankly, anything with citrus, woods and vetiver gets compared to TdH these days, that's why I treat fragrantica's "reminds me of" section with caution.

Whatever I smelled from the bottle of Distiller's Blend body wash didn't remind me of TdH at all.
Which reminds me... I saw the body wash in a few TJX/Marshalls stores this week.

Just repeating what I've heard! Lol. No direct experience with TdH on my part to speak of.

Yep, TJ Maxx and Marshalls carry Cremo personal care products now, they can be a good place to snag the body washes, shave products, beard products, etc at a discount. They don't carry the EDTs, though.

Last edited:

d r e

Dec 24, 2018
I really like the shower gels. The Silver Water and Birch is very Silver Mountain Water like, and goes well if you're wearing that scent. Maybe enhances scent a wee bit.

Yea, I noticed that also. It's one of the few I'm considering getting, seems very fresh and sort of just calm.

I agree that Cremo's shave creams are fantastic, but I'd still recommend some sort of moisturizer after shaving, since shaving exfoliates away the outer skin moisture retention layer. Doesn't have to be an "aftershave" though (I've read that the tingly menthol in aftershaves is not so great for skin from a dermatologist's standpoint). I just use a light face moisturizer + sunscreen after shaving.

Yeah moisturizing is still important, but I meant it more like an Aftershave usually has no 'sting' after using Cremo Cooling, you could skip straight to Moisturizing with it.

I feel like the use of menthol in the Cooling shave cream might reduce the amount of time spent on skin (compared to aftershave), but still providing a lot of the positive effects that menthol has in regards to shaving

Cremo Cooling also seems to be more of a minty blend rather than just straight up menthol, there's some Tea Tree & Eucalyptus in there. The result sort of smells like some Peppermint Candy after a bit of a medicinal opening

Hugh V.

Dec 9, 2016
Wow, Cremo's Palo Santo is dynamite. And from what I remember of Santal 33 it's pretty damn close to it. So unfortunately, since it's an outright clone, I'm gonna have to pass just based on principle. :(

Their beard oils are nice too but I've noticed that my regular go-to brand seems to last longer, so I'll be going back to that one as well.

jkonick

Feb 16, 2019
Has anyone seen an EdT version of the Eucalyptus and Juniper shampoo? I just picked it up and it’s definitely tied for me with Silver Water and Birch. It’s got a real coniferous Encre Noire vibe, really nice and natural smelling. I’d be curious to smell it in EdT form.

Red Hawk

Dec 4, 2019
Has anyone seen an EdT version of the Eucalyptus and Juniper shampoo? I just picked it up and it’s definitely tied for me with Silver Water and Birch. It’s got a real coniferous Encre Noire vibe, really nice and natural smelling. I’d be curious to smell it in EdT form.
No, I've only ever seen them have shampoo products for their "Juniper and Eucalyptus" scent.

maksidrom

Dec 30, 2003
My local wally world got Cremo testers!

cremo-tstrs.jpg

So I gave them all a try again... and my original opinion has not changed - only Spice & Black Vanilla and Palo Santo (which is sold at Target, not Walmart) are purchase worthy, the rest are ho-hum at best. Iced Citron and Driftwood was good in the opening, but after 15 minutes dried down to a faint parsley-basil skin scent. The rest were not memorable enough to mention.

PotassiumSnow

Jun 13, 2021
My local wally world got Cremo testers!

View attachment 172122

So I gave them all a try again... and my original opinion has not changed - only Spice & Black Vanilla and Palo Santo (which is sold at Target, not Walmart) are purchase worthy, the rest are ho-hum at best. Iced Citron and Driftwood was good in the opening, but after 15 minutes dried down to a faint parsley-basil skin scent. The rest were not memorable enough to mention.
I'm shocked they leave all that stuff out of a locked case. I'm in a rather boujee area and everything is locked here lol

Latest News