New bottle and air getting into it -observations

finsfan

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 6, 2003
I had read a post lately where someone mentioned that a scent somehow ages or matures or gets full strength once a new bottle is exposed to the air. I am making this post because earlier this summer I had a new bottle of Allure Homme Edition Blanche that I got directly from Chanel. Because I perceived its longevity and projection as lacking, which reflected in comments that I had read at Fragrantica, I sold it. But a kind basenoter sent me a sample of the cologne concentree and that stuff projected fairly well and lasted very long. So I found another basenoter that had a bottle of the AHEB Eau de parfum and purchased it from him and it has projected and lasted like the cologne concentree. So is there something to the thought that a new cologne needs to age, mature, or the air needs to get to it to somehow bring out it’s full performance capabilities?

Aug 16, 2022
After two dozen sprays early on, two weeks later my bottle of La Nuit de L'Homme is different or my nose is. It got more even and pleasant.

It just makes sense that something will change when a volatile solution is exposed to air over time. I also wonder if the fragrance inside the tube for months between production and sale becomes different from the rest of the bottle for some reason.

Toxicon

Basenotes Dependent
May 29, 2021
It’s happened in my experience more than not. I’m not sure if it’s related to air getting in or what it’s related to. Could be all in my head. But as I stated it’s happened with numerous bottles.
Same here. I suspect some of it might be my nose and brain adjusting the fragrance and learning to detect it better, but in some cases poor performers just seem to improve given a little time. This happened with my bottle of Burberry London

Scentologist

Basenotes Institution
Apr 17, 2007
I wouldn't think air getting to it would be a good thing. A fragrance needs a certain amount of time to macerate or "blend" if you will. If air can get it, liquid can get out, thats not a good thing either. Besides perfumer's alcohol is 30% I believe and if in contact with air it would evaporate. That wouldn't be good either.

Renato

Basenotes Institution
Oct 21, 2002
In a few of my bottles, with extreme age, the top notes changed for the worst.
I've never noticed the mid and basenotes change ove rtime, and they are what deliver performance.
Regards,
Renato

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
I suspect some of it might be my nose and brain adjusting the fragrance and learning to detect it better, but in some cases poor performers just seem to improve given a little time.
This.

Also, agreeing with eriqesque’s original post as well.

Edit: Just realized that I’m in the Men’s Room. My apologies! For what it’s worth, I’ve noticed this phenomenon with a handful of my EDPs (not with any EDTs).

Pippin06

always learning--often laughing
Feb 8, 2017
I agree with perfumes smelling and performing better after aerating and maturing some. Happens every time with mine. I liken it to a brand new stiff pair of leather shoes. The more you wear them, the more comfortable they become as they break in.

Last edited:

Toxicon

Basenotes Dependent
May 29, 2021
This.

Also, agreeing with eriqesque’s original post as well.

Edit: Just realized that I’m in the Men’s Room. My apologies! For what it’s worth, I’ve noticed this phenomenon with a handful of my EDPs (not with any EDTs).
More than welcome to join us! (A lot of us share interests in both “masculine” and “feminine” marketed scents and post across aisles.)

Ken_Russell

Basenotes Institution
Jan 21, 2006
Good topic and solid replies added so far- speaking from a strictly personal viewpoint alone, air exposure had (at least personally speaking) little to no (negative) impact on the fragrances, including vintage and/or splash bottles ones, did have so far

Ifti

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 5, 2016
The more I've read, experienced over the years.. I'm saying:
Give EVERYTHING a month.

Fall into this new bottle/new frag trap every time! Again with lots of tit bits and musings read in this topic,lots of sniffing, I'm starting to think "it's me". Almost down to a timeframe of 2 weeks minimum, for ME to get my nose/head around a frag. In the meantime I stress and frustrate over poor performance, longevity...

Give ME some maceration time to adjust to the fragrance!

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...