New Bogue Profumo: O/E

deadidol

Basenotes Plus
Jan 19, 2013
Hey all,

I think I may have mentioned this one at some point or another, but Bogue's new O/E has landed and is now available through Lucky Scent.

http://www.luckyscent.com/product/66903/o-e-by-bogue-profumo

attachment.php

For those of you who might remember the early Eau d'E, O/E is the logical development of that scent that works by bolstering an EdC structure in new and surprising ways. There's a great deal going on with this fragrance, but the main players are candied citrus notes, botanical herbs and spices, a great crystalline cypress note, and a chypre-like base. Like Maai, O/E is a forward-thinking classical aesthetic with a fascinating interplay of bitter and sweet notes.

Attachments

• OE.jpg
    OE.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:

Kagey

Jan 2, 2011
Thanks, dead. I love the description on LuckyScent. We finally got MAAI back in Europe and I have a backup bottle coming to me. I wish I'd known about this when I ordered it!

deadidol

Basenotes Plus
Jan 19, 2013
Thanks, dead. I love the description on LuckyScent. We finally got MAAI back in Europe and I have a backup bottle coming to me. I wish I'd known about this when I ordered it!
Well, this JUST came out — like today — so it'll be around for some time :)

drseid

Sound Scents
Basenotes Plus
Jun 1, 2003
I own the original Eau d'E which is absolutely fabulous stuff (and cost half the price). I am really intrigued as to how this reformulation has turned out... Sample ordered. Thanks for the heads' up!

Kagey

Jan 2, 2011
Well, this JUST came out — like today — so it'll be around for some time :)

Yeah what I meant is that the only European shop (that I know of) that sells Bogue doesn't send samples to the UK, won't do samples of Bogue perfumes anyhow, and to send bottles they charge insane shipping costs. So I'd like to have known to ask for a sample with my order- however unlikely- but I probably won't order from them again for some time, if at all.

hedonist222

Sep 13, 2010
I was hesitant at candied, but lost at sweet notes.

Herbs, spice & chypre with sweet notes don't sound appealing to me.

Don't mind trying it but the €10 sample is even more unappealing.

Colin Maillard

Jan 24, 2013
I haven't tested this properly yet, but at a quick sniff, I don't like it. First because it's again just another variation on a chypre structure, and honestly I am starting to find this "style" more and more boring; second, because personally I can't stand all that citrus. MAAI and Cologne were uncreative too in my opinion, but at least they smelled good. This one, well... not that much, not even that. To be really honest to me it smells basically like a masculine chypre drowned in heavy citrus (the "floor cleaner/mosquito repellent" kind of citrus notes).

deadidol

Basenotes Plus
Jan 19, 2013
I really wouldn't call it a chypre, but the base is reminiscent of one. To me, it's an EdC on steroids. I never liked the original that much because I don't like the EdC genre or candied verbena or culinary herbs. It's the fatal mistake that Miller Harris makes for me in that almost everything they do smells like it belongs in a kitchen. To me, this is the kind of scent that any Miller Harris fan would drool over as it takes that model and amplifies it. What I liked about the original version of this was the cypress note that rang loud and clear through everything else. That's present in this, which is my favorite part of it. The citrus is HUGE, but it's not like a sparkly clean kind of citrus — there's a slight castoreum hold-over from the original that spins it down dirtier paths. To me this smells similar to older O'Driu scents only it's more sticky and dense. I'm going to give it some dedicated wears this week and try and get some more cohesive thoughts together.

alfarom

Power Where You Need It
Basenotes Plus
Mar 4, 2011
I think this is an improvement on the original. Thicker, denser but, most of all, there's a lot more going on especially during the middle-phase / base.

Last edited:

drseid

Sound Scents
Basenotes Plus
Jun 1, 2003
For me the reformulated O/E is disappointing. I think Alfarom's descriptor of the differences above is quite accurate, but for me the changes are all for the worse. One key "composition killer" difference for me is the new version has an odd ammonia accord that runs through the early heart primarily, hanging around in diminished form well into the composition's development. The original version was a tremendous classical Eau de Cologne style composition with a bit of a modern twist... This version tries to modernize the formula considerably, ultimately ruining the winning original formula that needed no tweaking. In short, the revised O/E ends up still good, but after being dazzled by the "good stuff", this new version adds unwanted clutter to the original formula at double the price. Sometimes less is more.

Latest News