Need a lusciously beautiful fragrance

Hema

Dec 2, 2008
Hi! I’ve been searching for a really stunning deeply feminine scent but that doesn’t smell like sweets! I thought I’d found it in ‘Lost Paradise’ by Urban Scents but I’ve ended up disappointed by its lack of longevity. I’ve tried JPG woman frags which were so promising on other people. I find that a lot of fragrances lack originality or guts. I know there’s a world of frags out there but where do I begin? I’ve tried most mainstream things and some niche brands too.

cacio

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Nov 5, 2010
Right now, perfumes for women tend to be quite sweet (or alternatively sharply clean). There is more choice in niche perfumery, which is more expensive, if one wants to go there.

Amouage, for instance, has some rich and complex florals and orientals (eg Gold, Ubar, Fate)

Ken_Russell

Basenotes Institution
Jan 21, 2006
Welcome!

Also taking the liberty to add among possible (re) testing recommendations:

Feminite du Bois by Lutens/Shiseido, Jaipur Bracelet by Boucheron preferably as EDP version of this, Silences by Jacomo, All' Olio di Argan by l'Erbolario, Velvet Forest Wood as well as likely more Dsquared scents, Lady Knize, quite a few Dior scents including but not limited to Dolce Vita yet also Miss Dior and/or Arlesienne by l'Occitane, in no particular order.

chypre

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 10, 2006
Have you explored the classics? (I know you said you've tried most mainstreams, but stores don't always have their classics displayed on the counter). Classics tend to have more depth and complexity than recent releases. You could look at 24 Faubourg and Rouge by Hermes; Lancome's Magie Noire; Dior's Miss Dior Original (the one in the frosted houndstooth bottle)... Niches with good depth and longevity include Frederic Malle's Portrait of a Lady and Musc Ravageur.

Mak-7

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 19, 2019
Look into house called Divine. Small french place that might be exactly what you are looking for. I love their main perfume called Divine. Dont know what is your taste exactly but def try them. Also, they refund sample set when you buy a fb.

Cook.bot

Flâneuse
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
Hi Hema, do you have any ideas about which notes you prefer? "Feminine" can mean different things to different people. Do you like white florals, roses, rich, warm ambers or spices for example? lt would really help to narrow down suggestions.

^^ This, plus you might give us some idea of the price range you can tolerate.

Robin-in-FL

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 18, 2011
The ones I have that I feel are luscious...

Guerlain Samsara the EDT - full bodied, wearable
Boucheron Boucheron Feminine EDP - classy
Neil Morris Prowl the EDP - lush, sexy

If you are flush with cash, the Diane St. Clair Casablanca OMG this is beautiful floral.

ImaFedec

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 12, 2019
L'Eau d'Hiver by Frederic Malle: Beautiful comforting musky scent with touch of bitter angelica and bergamot to make it interesting + honey to give a mysterious and alluring end (not sweet at all)

L'Attesa - Masque Milano: Strong Iris with faint champagne. Quite classy, simple yet not boring.

Both are unisex, but there is something that is often associated to feminity (class, gentleness, and sophistication. It is a stereotype of course but you get my point). I think you'll like them

tdem1961

I smell something…
Basenotes Plus
Jun 19, 2005
My suggestion is Lancome Jasmins Marzipane. I’m wearing it today, and “lusciously beautiful” describes it to a T. It’s shimmering jasmine, pure and sweet yet with depth. And it’s by the wonderful Dominique Ropion.

Mar 13, 2012
My suggestion is Lancome Jasmins Marzipane. I’m wearing it today, and “lusciously beautiful” describes it to a T. It’s shimmering jasmine, pure and sweet yet with depth. And it’s by the wonderful Dominique Ropion.
This perfume sounds lovely, so I did some googling. My guess is it has to be discontinued because it's selling for $450!!!! Wowza!

tdem1961

I smell something…
Basenotes Plus
Jun 19, 2005
This perfume sounds lovely, so I did some googling. My guess is it has to be discontinued because it's selling for $450!!!! Wowza!
Holy cow! I bought my bottle in Bergdorf Goodman I want to say a good five years ago.

I don’t see it at Bergdorf’s but just checked at Nordstroms - it’s there, priced at $201. Also at Harrods for $175. Back when I bought mine it was available in two sizes, 30 ml and 100 ml. The smaller size doesn’t seem to be an option currently.

Shycat

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Oct 18, 2005
The ones I wear most often are Hypnotic Poison, Love Tuberose, Shalimar, and Nahema. That's a jasmine, tuberose, a floriental, and a rose. Love Tuberose may be too sweet for you, but it's luscious.

Kotori

In my little cloud
Basenotes Plus
Aug 17, 2006
You might try Memoir Woman by Amouage. It has some similarities with Ubar. I think it qualifies as luscious.

Or Fleur de Lalita by Dusita

Or Pichola by Neela Vermeire

Or McQueen by Alexander McQueen (black cap)

+1 on Ella by Arquiste

Mar 13, 2012
Holy cow! I bought my bottle in Bergdorf Goodman I want to say a good five years ago.

I don’t see it at Bergdorf’s but just checked at Nordstroms - it’s there, priced at $201. Also at Harrods for $175. Back when I bought mine it was available in two sizes, 30 ml and 100 ml. The smaller size doesn’t seem to be an option currently.
Sounds like you made a very smart buy! I didn't think to look at Nordstrom's, just did a quick google search to see if it was on amazon or something similar and saw the $450!

Latest News