Name The Price...

david

Basenotes Dependent
Jun 7, 2005
It's always difficult to put a price on vintage fragrances. Ebay and etsy are of course different planets when it comes to realistic prices.
It's also a lot to do with how much you crave a certain vintage discontinued perfume...and the prices are partly dictated by supply and demand.

So what would you think are fair prices for the following, (ramdonly chosen) designer vintages :

Iquitos/ Macassar/ Jules/ Fahrenheit/ Envy for Men (based on 100 ml size) ?

...or others that spring to mind.

hednic

Basenotes Institution
Oct 25, 2007
I already own all of them, but if I were seeking them for my collection and I wanted them badly enough, price wouldn't matter to me.

relus

Basenotes Junkie
Mar 21, 2019
Get some minis andput them in a decant, jules minis are sometimes cheap, way cheaper than a 100 ml. Then again jules and iquitos are masterpieces. Macaser i maybe score some minis if possible.

Bavard

Wearing Perfume Right Now
Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
So what would you think are fair prices for the following, (ramdonly chosen) designer vintages :

Iquitos/ Macassar/ Jules/ Fahrenheit/ Envy for Men (based on 100 ml size) ?

...or others that spring to mind.
Whatever the market can bear. Given the cost of niche fragrances, I would say at least that.

Paddington

Marmalade Sandwich Eater
Basenotes Plus
Jun 17, 2021
Depends whos selling, sometimes bids for certain frags go really high cause there are etsy store owners on the hunt for stuff to list on there own stores for crazy prices

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
I think it depends on each individual scent like Patou Pour Homme, Jules, Derby, Antaeus, Bel Ami...etc. Some will have higher premiums than others. It will depend on how far the individual is willing to go for pricing, some prices will be better than others of course.

WarmJewel

Oct 5, 2022
As you say it's not easy valuing vintage fragrances and as others rightly say a lot is down to supply and demand. Even still I've seen some shocking prices for some vintage fragrances and Etsy seems far worse than ebay in my experience. Like the recently seen Christian Dior Eau Sauvage Eau de Toilette 200ml mid 80's on Etsy for wait for it... £750! I'm not sure what planet the seller of that one is living on. Mid 80's Eau Sauvage EdT's aren't that rare and partial 100ml bottles and 50ml bottles can be picked up on ebay for £50 odd.

I recently saw a vintage Guerlain Derby going on ebay for £125 that didn't get a bid!

The only one of your list I have any knowledge of in terms of having tried it and watched prices is Gucci Envy for Men. 100ml EdT's of those generally go for around £150-200. Smaller bottles and partials obviously less. Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche the old tin can version generally go for £200-300.

WarmJewel

Oct 5, 2022
There are thousands of intentionally inflated prices out there on numerous sites, where sellers are waiting for that one sucker.
Yes indeed, that is very true.

There's certainly an element of opportunism in some of the pricing, sellers just waiting for that one person who doesn't know any better. I cited one recent example I came across a bottle of Eau Sauvage for £750 which in my opinion is ludicrous. I doubt even a 1966 launch bottle would be worth that much.

There's certainly bargains to be had too from those willing to put the work in, do their research and be patient. Quite a number of sellers simply don't know what they have because if they did they'd be selling an item for a far higher price than they do. Some sellers seem to think they know what they have but don't because there's a fair amount of disingenuity and dishonesty around as well from sellers deliberately misstating vintage dates in an attempt to inflate the price. It's definitely a case of caveat emptor, do your research and know what you're buying rather than relying on sellers to provide accurate descriptions.

Schnitter

Basenotes Junkie
Aug 11, 2014
I've just been selling my discontinued backups on ebay by searching "completed" listings and putting them up for around the lowest.

I've noticed one weird thing. Some Fragrance store in Arizona has bought like 12 Gucci Pour Homme II bottles from me. I put them 4 at a time @ $300 each (after taxes and shipping they pay around $340 each), and they've been really quick at buying them all.

I wonder if they are selling them for a profit that fast, or if they are just stocking up and waiting for them to dry up to sell them for more. Like how much higher can GPHII go for past $350?

nosey74

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 30, 2014
I've just been selling my discontinued backups on ebay by searching "completed" listings and putting them up for around the lowest.

I've noticed one weird thing. Some Fragrance store in Arizona has bought like 12 Gucci Pour Homme II bottles from me. I put them 4 at a time @ $300 each (after taxes and shipping they pay around $340 each), and they've been really quick at buying them all.

I wonder if they are selling them for a profit that fast, or if they are just stocking up and waiting for them to dry up to sell them for more. Like how much higher can GPHII go for past $350?
Wow you had 12 bottles of Gucci pour homme II? I think I know who bought your fragrances and yes they are probably going to hold on and re-list for double.

Schnitter

Basenotes Junkie
Aug 11, 2014
Wow you had 12 bottles of Gucci pour homme III? I think I know who bought your fragrances and yes they are probably going to hold on and re-list for double.
Yeah I bought 30 total back in the day (before I knew there were so many good fragrances so I stocked up on the few I rated 10/10) because the store I found them in put them on sale and I really like it, so bought them all even the ones they had in warehouse. I still have like 10 more and my brother who now lives in Germany stocked up on several too. I just don't see how they can go for that much more if GPH (brown juice) sells for 400?

nosey74

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 30, 2014
Yeah I bought 30 total back in the day (before I knew there were so many good fragrances so I stocked up on the few I rated 10/10) because the store I found them in put them on sale and I really like it, so bought them all even the ones they had in warehouse. I still have like 10 more and my brother who now lives in Germany stocked up on several too. I just don't see how they can go for that much more if GPH (brown juice) sells for 400?
They’re going for close to $600 now by some eBay sellers.

Schnitter

Basenotes Junkie
Aug 11, 2014
Man if people actually pay $600 for brown juice Gucci Pour Homme, I wonder how much I could sell my sealed backup of silver collar 50ml Dior Homme Intense. I wish I would have gone crazy stocking up on that one instead of the just one extra I have.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
Man if people actually pay $600 for brown juice Gucci Pour Homme, I wonder how much I could sell my sealed backup of silver collar 50ml Dior Homme Intense. I wish I would have gone crazy stocking up on that one instead of the just one extra I have.
Probably a few hundred but that's small potatoes compared to other bottles. One that comes to mind is the original YSL La Nuit bottles that can go for a pretty penny.

Schnitter

Basenotes Junkie
Aug 11, 2014
Probably a few hundred but that's small potatoes compared to other bottles. One that comes to mind is the original YSL La Nuit bottles that can go for a pretty penny.
Ah yes, don't even remind me of those. I had many of those La Nuits too, had friends who traveled overseas hunt them for me too because they were easy to spot (the oz/ml numbers being towards the center of the box instead of in the corners). I sold every single backup for around $200 each because I didn't like it as much, because I also own the first reformulation of it which is pretty good too, and because Florida weather doesn't let me enjoy cold weather fragrances much.

Attachments

• 20161121_181947.jpg
    20161121_181947.jpg
    363.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 20161119_203702.jpg
    20161119_203702.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
Ah yes, don't even remind me of those. I had many of those La Nuits too, had friends who traveled overseas hunt them for me too because they were easy to spot (the oz/ml numbers being towards the center of the box instead of in the corners). I sold every single backup for around $200 each because I didn't like it as much, because I also own the first reformulation of it which is pretty good too, and because Florida weather doesn't let me enjoy cold weather fragrances much.
Those were quite abundant at one time, thankfully I stopped after 1 backup. It's a good scent and I try to wear it every so often but it's not one of my favorites. Eventually I probably will stop wearing it as I get much older. I would choose the silver collar Dior Homme Intense any day over it.

david

Basenotes Dependent
Jun 7, 2005
S
I think it depends on each individual scent like Patou Pour Homme, Jules, Derby, Antaeus, Bel Ami...etc. Some will have higher premiums than others. It will depend on how far the individual is willing to go for pricing, some prices will be better than others of course.
Surely though, it has more to do with how rare the individual fragrance is. There are not so many bottles of Djedi or Jacques Fath Ellipse floating around as say Envy for Men or Jules, so the Djedi's and Ellipses will be going for much higher pricetags.

PStoller

I’m not old, I’m vintage.
Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
Surely though, it has more to do with how rare the individual fragrance is.

Yes, but not only that. There’s actual scarcity vs. perceived or manufactured scarcity. I’ve seen fragrances marketed as “rare” even though they're readily available in the aftermarket, and also plenty of speculative price gouging. (There are bottles I’ve watched on eBay for literally years while the seller hopes for that one sucker buyer to pay hundreds or even thousands of dollars.)

There’s also desirability based on other factors. I mean, there are rare fragrances that almost nobody cares about, either because they’re not very good or not enough people have tried them to create a reputation. Woto (which is quite good) doesn’t come up for sale any more often than Djedi, but it’s unlikely to fetch the same price.

woodnotes55

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 27, 2016
Yes, but not only that. There’s actual scarcity vs. perceived or manufactured scarcity. I’ve seen fragrances marketed as “rare” even though they're readily available in the aftermarket, and also plenty of speculative price gouging. (There are bottles I’ve watched on eBay for literally years while the seller hopes for that one sucker buyer to pay hundreds or even thousands of dollars.)

Have seen this a lot too. Especially the "rare" part, there are a few scents I like that (at least part of) the seller community think are discontinued that are not. The occasional check on the bay regularly finds all of them listed at 50 or 100% over the manufacturer sale price. And do get a laugh from the old "that one again", yes, it's been there for years at the same price. One time I made an offer on one of those thinking after over 2 years they would want to sell, but the reply was basically you're nuts this is worth way more.... right!

As long as there are "some" uninformed buyers that will occasionally pay a high price there will surely be a lot of uninformed, or stubborn, sellers holding out for silly price levels......

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...