Name the fragrance you tried/smelled today for the first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
Sampling for the first time ever vintage Diorissimo EDC
375x500.224.jpg

maksidrom

Dec 30, 2003
Miller Harris Le Jasmin
WOW! The opening is an unexpected sharp blast of fresh bergamot, very natural and jolting. It eventually settles into a soft green floral jasmine with that bergamot just peaking through. There's also just a hint of skank that somehow reminds me of L'Air de Rien.

I am gonna wear the hell out of Le Jasmin this summer.

Brooks Otterlake

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 12, 2019
Versace Man (2003)

A very smooth tobacco scent with a greenish edge. Descriptions had me expecting something heavier and stranger (references to "grape soda" in reviews had me expecting a bit of Lalique Hommage, but whatever grape note is present here is fairly subdued). This blends in pretty well into the designer landscape of the past few decades. It's more interesting than some, and unusually well-blended for designer fare, but it's not especially complex or arresting. Kinda like some of the better Varvatos fragrances it's enough to get a slight nod but doesn't offer enough depth to sustain fascination.

HBK

Jul 11, 2018
Serge Lutens Chene
This is a good one. A woody scent with a subtle sweetness. Been smelling my arm for the past 5 hours. Definitely on my list of fragrances i will explore further.

Ifti

Aug 5, 2016
Versace Dreamer.
Pretty tidy - definitely see that it is in similar vein as Lalique Hommage. Have a feeling this'll grow on me.
Thinking layering up with Hommage wood (!) be a treat, softening the somewhat polarising opening of Hommage.
Sweet little numba'!

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
Memo - African Leather

Smells like the nicest hamster cage you've ever smelled.

lol. Cedar wood chips? And something else that is SO DARN FAMILIAR but I can't quite place it, ugh! Like... Terre d'Hermes or something! Someone help me figure out what it is.

Edit: oooh, now the cumin is coming out..
Edit: Don't really see how this is considered a leather frag. Smells like a woody spicy to me. /shrug. Good stuff though.
Edit: Oo, and sweetness also! Is it true this has been reformulated and is pretty weak now? This is pretty good stuff, though I'll smell like a hamster cage a lot. hah

dLqVKvj.png

flyingbuddy

Dec 17, 2018
L’artisan Bana Banana. Wasn’t expecting much based on fragrantica reviews but to my surprise the banana note actually lasts quite a long time on my skin, probably one of my favourite gourmand fragrances. To me it reminds me of banana flavoured ice cream/dessert.

Roky

Jun 1, 2015
A very VERY uncommon cheapy with a pretty niche like feel to it:
"Voyage en Inde" by mass market spa products brand Rituals.
I can't remind Escada's masculine Magnetism anymore, but it feels like there's some vague similarities.
A fruity amber, a somehow fresh, lively grape, plums vibe, a bitter saffron note on the edge of a medicinal faux oud, some faint smoky vetiver tunes, and an Iso E Super, Patchouly and Ambroxan laden, slightly vanillic drydown. It's potent at first and does change quite a bit, gets a skin scent before feeling too sweet.
What's very special to it, is its soothing soapy spa/hammam vibe. Despite the slightly tacky image, this Rituals brand does this pretty well. I'm also thinking of this one as a budget version of a light ambery thing such as current M7 or even LADDM...
The official notes say Jasmine, Patchouly, Amber.
I'm very surprised with this one and they offer budget friendly 10ml sprays.

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
Gucci Pour Homme (1976) cologne

Wow, this is pretty nice. Smells familiar to something else, but not quite the same. Oakmoss opening, then the leather, and I get citrus as well.

I was thinking it might be kind of hardcore 80's type of smell, but it's well behaved - it's not too rugged or rough.

Was this pretty smooth for its time?

Edit: Oh oh, you know what this kinda smells like? Old Spice Musk Cologne, British Sterling Imperial Musk, or British Sterling. One of those!... I think.

LithmwC.png

Last edited:

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
Chanel For Men Cologne

Welllll.. that is NOT what I was expecting! I thought this was just the original name for Pour Monsieur or something. But I maybe had not sampled that one before either. My experience is (was?) limited to the Concentree/EdP, which I love.

Sooo..... it smells like a bar of soap. Like a regular 'original' scented white soap bar, plus a hit of citrus or something, and maybe some spice.

Don't know how bad, if at all, the sample has turned over the years. It's not bad - just not what I was expecting, haha

huU5d2c.png

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
Chanel For Men Cologne

Welllll.. that is NOT what I was expecting! I thought this was just the original name for Pour Monsieur or something. But I maybe had not sampled that one before either. My experience is (was?) limited to the Concentree/EdP, which I love.

Sooo..... it smells like a bar of soap. Like a regular 'original' scented white soap bar, plus a hit of citrus or something, and maybe some spice.

Don't know how bad, if at all, the sample has turned over the years. It's not bad - just not what I was expecting, haha

huU5d2c.png

Perhaps some of the notes have turned at some point. Regardless though that's something that I want to sample.

Danny Mitchell

Mar 21, 2019
I tried me some Commodity Bergamot. Damn that first hour is great! You would almost think you had sprayed Eau Sauvage. So so good, but it's been on my wrist (3 pumps) for three hours now and the scent has almost completely gone away. Too bad because that initial application is amazing.

hednic

Oct 25, 2007
L’artisan Bana Banana. Wasn’t expecting much based on fragrantica reviews but to my surprise the banana note actually lasts quite a long time on my skin, probably one of my favourite gourmand fragrances. To me it reminds me of banana flavoured ice cream/dessert.
Like this one also.

Mr. Prince

Apr 15, 2019
Philly & Phill – Railway to the Rooftop - didn't care for it.

hednic, I am just curious. Are all of your first try's on this thread coming from your own personal collection? If so, what percent of your collection has not yet been used?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News