Name the fragrance you tried/smelled today for the first time. (Feminine fragrances edition!)

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Semi-Retirement
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
Sampling for the first time Guerlain Fleur de Feu
GUERLAIN FLEUR DE FEU.jpg
Guerlain_-_Fleur_de_Feu_%281948%29.jpg

zerofox

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 31, 2020
Pink Fatale. This is the first of any Agent Provocateur I’ve tried and it was a blind buy based on notes plus claim it was made for the domestic East Asian market. Excellent blind buy for me.

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
Lancôme - Parfait de Rôses

Amazing! Blind bought it because of association with Turkish Delight (which I really enjoy eating) and because I don't have many rose fragrances.
It absolutely does smell/remind of Turkish Delight, that's amazing. It's very good! Yummy!

7OqOyMM.png

---------------------

Guerlain - Mon Precieux Nectar

I went with a decant instead of blind buying on this one; it's pretty light - like a sensual skin-scent, which isn't really a problem. It's lovely, nice, not too 'feminine'. Lady of the household said it smells like arthritis cream (in the opening), lol, but a bit later she said it's nice.

Not sure on bottle yet, especially since I have the Lancome on as well and it may be overshadowing the Guerlain. I have a decant so it'll last a long time and give me plenty of time to decide on a bottle.. Enjoy it so far! It's pretty smooth, but I do seem to pick up on some kind of light spice aspect. :)

YlUbshK.png

Hugh V.

Dec 9, 2016
Anne Klein II

a648169dd3fa79c2d97ace695e215ac6.jpg

I was looking forward to trying this one out as I thought it was an 80s classic. The opening was a little too much on the oriental side and I could detect a strong vanilla note among all the other notes, and I'm not a fan of vanilla. Overall, it came across as more outdated than classic. As it dried down to the middle notes the vanilla note calmed down a bit, and the overall scent was less outdated and came across as almost voluptuous, if that makes sense. It's not bad at all for the $9.99 price tag, but it's far from "wow."

I don't think it was even regarded that highly in its own time since there's not many reviews for this fragrance compared to its peers and I don't come across any vintage magazine advertisements for it.

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
Viktor & Rolf - Flowerbomb Extreme (I'm assuming 2013 version?)

It's really not bad at all. I've at least sniffed the regular EdP in store before, and a sample of it just arrived today - so I'll try that on this weekend likely.

Anyways, Flowerbomb Extreme is sweet, but I didn't pay a lot of attention to it, so I'll maybe test again, lol. Wore it yesterday I think. But my impression overall isn't negative!

aziraNt.png

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
Guerlain - Insolence Eau de Parfum (bee bottle)

Glad I didn't blind buy this! It's not for me. It's not bad at all, don't get me wrong. It's just not my style really.

I see violet on Fragrantica, but my mind may pick up on hyacinth or something A LOT more.

I actually quite like the drydown!

kXL0tCp.png

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
Annick Goutal - Songes

Not sure of age or if EdT or EdP; doesn't specify on decant itself.

Anyways, this is a type of white floral that I actually enjoy. It heavily reminds me of Bois 1920 Come l'Amore.

A strong frangipani(???) type smell, almost banana-esque.
It's an 'almost' creamy sweetness in this.

However, I do sense a tad of what I'd call 'vintage' female perfume. I could see people thinking this is for more mature women.

Edit: Interesting.. I'm picking up something spicy now? Cumin? What is that?

ZKLWUi7.png

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
Guerlain - Aqua Allegoria Flora Nymphea

Oooo, I really like this one. It strongly reminded me of SOMETHING, but I can't quite put my finger on it. Honeysuckle came to mind. I used to pick them near my Grandparents' house, break the tip off and suck on them.

tmLewoR.png

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
Jean Patou - Joy

OOookay. So, it's pretty much entirely not my style. Smells very classic / old school.

The rose is quite evident, it reminds me of the smell of shampoo or bodywash from the 90's.
The other most noticeable aspect so far is either the ylang-ylang or tuberose maybe? Oh, and maybe a blast of aldehydes alongside the rose?
I think something in the opening makes me think of bananas, lol.

I see mention of it opening with civet, but I really don't get that. At least it doesn't present anything like how Jicky's civet does.

The initial blast is "OLD SCHOOL!", but if you smell up close and pay attention you do catch layers.

phOUTBJ.png

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
Sarah Jessica Parker - Stash

Kind of surprised at how high this is rated on Basenotes & Fragrantica, but then again not.

Right off the bat it's that synthetic/fuzzy ('TV static') wood smell that I do not care for. I get a similar thing in Ferragamo F Pour Homme Black.

That calms down/goes away soon after, and it's a pretty nice almost spicy gingerbread-y type of scent. Not thick, not light. Good for 'cool' weather. It's not too sweet either, and I could see this being someone's signature scent for like half of the year.

I do NOT get the comparisons to Santal 33 - not sure what that's about.

Overall, it's a pretty good composition; well thought out, but I think it'd do better justice if the materials used were a bit higher quality. Like a bigger budget for the perfumer(s) to work with.

v4uLVPk.png

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
Kenzo Jungle L'Elephant

Pretty much immediately like this one better than Stash, haha. Smells way different up close than in the air! Up close it smells more feminine, cinnamon-y, and even fruity?

In the air it smells more balmy, meshed together, and calming. I get the comparison to Arabie, but not quite - they're still quite a bit different.

UzmK8lb.png

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
Robert Piguet - Bandit

Am I crazy or does this resemble Balenciaga Pour Homme a bit? Like a brother or sister of it?

Not bad at all.

Man, I really need to up my game on note detection, as I recognize a thing or stuff in this but I don't know WHAT it is. Darn.

7DpAKD2.png

khanada

Mar 3, 2020
Robert Piguet - Bandit

Am I crazy or does this resemble Balenciaga Pour Homme a bit? Like a brother or sister of it?

Not bad at all.

Man, I really need to up my game on note detection, as I recognize a thing or stuff in this but I don't know WHAT it is. Darn.

7DpAKD2.png

It’s a classic leather chypre—some galbanum (I think), aldehydes, and of course a leather accord. The updated version has quite a bit of Animalis, but it isn’t as raunchy as the vintage, which also has lots of Animalis but laced with civet.

We went on a Walmart run this evening (it is literally all there is in this tiny little town—we’re trying to get the good holiday stuff, before it gets picked over, because we use some of it year round. I ran smack into an end cap of Betsey Johnson cosmetics, including a “rare” (according to eBay sellers, anyway) perfume called Betseyfied, which was in such a cute package that I probably would have bought it blind. But I opened the package and it smells like a fruitier Coco Mademoiselle with a passion fruit accord. Not bad for $9.95 for a 30ml bottle. It’s not in the directory yet so I’m submitting it

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
Gres - Cabochard (vintage, supposedly).

I'm a bit impressed, this is nice. It's not too aldehydic, it's not sharp, it's not stuffy. It's mildly 'powdery', good dose of sweetness but not overloaded. With a nice spiced touch or something, maybe mossy as well.

I like it.

fKnaFcX.png

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
It’s a classic leather chypre—some galbanum (I think), aldehydes, and of course a leather accord. The updated version has quite a bit of Animalis, but it isn’t as raunchy as the vintage, which also has lots of Animalis but laced with civet.

We went on a Walmart run this evening (it is literally all there is in this tiny little town—we’re trying to get the good holiday stuff, before it gets picked over, because we use some of it year round. I ran smack into an end cap of Betsey Johnson cosmetics, including a “rare” (according to eBay sellers, anyway) perfume called Betseyfied, which was in such a cute package that I probably would have bought it blind. But I opened the package and it smells like a fruitier Coco Mademoiselle with a passion fruit accord. Not bad for $9.95 for a 30ml bottle. It’s not in the directory yet so I’m submitting it

Thanks for the info! :)

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Semi-Retirement
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
Sarah Jessica Parker - Stash

Kind of surprised at how high this is rated on Basenotes & Fragrantica, but then again not.

Right off the bat it's that synthetic/fuzzy ('TV static') wood smell that I do not care for. I get a similar thing in Ferragamo F Pour Homme Black.

That calms down/goes away soon after, and it's a pretty nice almost spicy gingerbread-y type of scent. Not thick, not light. Good for 'cool' weather. It's not too sweet either, and I could see this being someone's signature scent for like half of the year.

I do NOT get the comparisons to Santal 33 - not sure what that's about.

Overall, it's a pretty good composition; well thought out, but I think it'd do better justice if the materials used were a bit higher quality. Like a bigger budget for the perfumer(s) to work with.

v4uLVPk.png

This is one of the few celebrity scents that I did enjoy. It's unlikely that I'll ever secure a bottle of it but it's pretty good.

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
Givenchy - Organza EdP

Woo boy, that opening is somewhat heady - white floral power. If I'm not mistaken, I pick up the gardenia in the opening. Not my style, but not bad. Does seem a tad oldschool.

Later on it seems to have a spiced lotion type of smell? Comforting; quite familiar?

KdMgJe0.png

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
Lanvin - Arpege vtg, supposedly.

Not for me, but better than some others in this style I imagine. I seem to get a big glob of honey in this, which I enjoy. Can't tell if that's just because of it being old and a bit spoiled, or if that's an actual note/accord, haha.

It's like a.. aldehydic, soapy, semi-floral, honey. To me. Not bad, but not something I'd want to really wear.

xDNI5f1.png

zerofox

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 31, 2020
Givenchy - Organza EdP

Woo boy, that opening is somewhat heady - white floral power. If I'm not mistaken, I pick up the gardenia in the opening. Not my style, but not bad. Does seem a tad oldschool.

Later on it seems to have a spiced lotion type of smell? Comforting; quite familiar?

KdMgJe0.png

Comforting comes up frequently in the reviews by males. I bought one out of curiosity (at $8 from FNET) and I’m on fence. Florals are something I much prefer to smell on others in passing than hours on myself. I feel like it could be a fine line between love and hate depending on underlying skin scent and weather. Now that you mention it Organza does remind me of some French pharmacy brand lotions like Avene.

khanada

Mar 3, 2020
I bought the ELDO box set for my boyfriend and myself, for Christmas, and it is a gift that has kept on giving, as we dig deeper. We tried out Remarkable People today, and we both like it. I am charmed by its wintry grapefruit-citrus, Amber, and Sandalwood, and the BF loves its spices. I used the discount card they sent, to buy Archives 69 and Putain de Palaces, and they have already arrived, along with samples of Spice Must Flow, and Fils de Dieu, so we tried those, too.

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
Narciso Rodriguez for Her EdT

Opening is pretty boring and generic. Seems a pretty typical modern feminine type feel. A tad later it becomes a little more interesting.

Maybe the musk comes out, the floral settles a tad. Gets a kind of almost... lightly citrus, lotion-y/balmy smell.

Z0qIYl6.png

Last edited:

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
Sahara Noir. Assuming my carded sample is legit (who knows) it’s not as amazing as I’d hoped.

Didn't care for it either. Been a long time since I've tried it, but it was like... plain incense from what I smelled. Don't remember if I tried on skin. It was pretty boring though, haha. Along the lines of Armani's Bois d'Encens.

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
Penhaligon's - Lily of the Valley

From a decant I received. Not sure if this is vintage and/or wasn't taken care of well; the color of the liquid is almost amber, lol.

Anyways! It's semi-sweet, floral, pleasant. Not really heady, not challenging. A pretty inoffensive all-age-ish type of perfume it seems.

There's a certain smell in here I can't identify - almost effervescent? And the sweet part comes off as honey-ish to me.

a0d9ciE.png

Kotori

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 17, 2006
Testing out L de Lubin today. It’s not what I expected: it’s kind of a dusty/papery cross between Diorella and Dioressence with barely any of the animalic goodness of either. It’s nice. It’s... fine. But I like Dioressence quite a bit better for the style.

Latest News