Name the fragrance you tried/smelled today for the first time. (Feminine fragrances edition!)

Scarce

Dec 28, 2014
Eau de Gaga (don't judge). Nice, but fleeting. I wish lime rind was a more enduring note.

This is suprisingly good. I got it for nothing (an extra freebie in a larger order) but I think it's worth a lot more than the $25 or whatever it sells for a 75ml.

A 4☆ review here.

https://boisdejasmin.com/2014/10/lady-gaga-eau-de-gaga-perfume-review.html

Unsurprisingly, it was a lot more expensive when released at 55€. If you see it just buy it.

gaga.jpg

Varanis Ridari

The Scented Devil
Basenotes Plus
Oct 17, 2012
I just sampled

Yves Saint Laurent Libre (2019)

05883057_zi.jpg

It's a pretty good lavender fragrance super uncommon in the women's market and very unisex in my opinion. Everyone should sample it. Not niche in delivery and definitely with some commercial edge, but nice.

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
Wow. I can't even remember the last time YSL put out a woman's scent that wasn't a flanker or some kind of privee thing. Maybe Saharienne?

This actually sounds rather pleasant.

ClockworkAlice

We all smell here
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
Eau de Gaga (don't judge). Nice, but fleeting. I wish lime rind was a more enduring note.

I was actually wanting to try it for months now. The stores that have it do not have testers of it out, so I was debating of maybe just buying the smallest bottle available just to test it out. I like the notes list and the presentation, and Lady Gaga herself is quite amusing to me.
Now, after a generous Scarce's review, I probably should just go and sacrifice those hard earned 5 € to get that 15 ml bottle for testing purposes.

YSL Libre doesn't sound appealing to me as I'm not a lavender fan at all, but I'll at least smell it on paper when I can.

donna255

Jul 16, 2004
All I got from Aura was cooking vanilla, the sort used in baking. No thanks. LOL

So yesterday I had a little sniff fest.

By Kilian Rolling In Love, like the opening then it went a bit meh on me. It did have that note which for me 95% of Kilian's have and you just know it is a Kilian. I really liked the almond opening and if it had stayed I would have marked it as a yes.

Tom Ford Metallique I like much more and even asking the person with me which one they picked this. For a TF is was quite soft I did get the aldehyde opening and then a very pleasant orange note and this is from someone who does not like orange in fragrance.

The big winner for me was Byredo Slow Dance which I got to smell in my local SpaceNK. Soft myrrh warm tonka the ultimate cosy warm comforting you can wear in the colder months. Okay, it is not rule-breaking avant-garde but I just loved it.

Zilpha

Aug 7, 2008
JD Jeffrey Dame Musc Neutre by Hugh Spencer, not yet in the directory

I like a lot of solo smells but I think musk, which I adore, serves me best as a base for other notes, usually florals as in the Narciso Rodriguez lines that I love.
My sister wore only musk scents in her youth and this scent is particularly reminding me of her.
The advert says that the perfumer used 4 different types of musk in this scent, which I'm sure is quite common actually. I learned right here on basenotes that 40% of the population is anosmic to one form of musk aromachemical or another, so a musk note has to have several different forms of it in use to make sure it gets smelled.

I have not learned the difference between the different musks I've read about, like the laundry musk, the white musk, the dirty musk. To me this scent smells like - musk. Not so strong or chemical-smelling as Kiehl's, but - musk. I can have some fun layering my other Dame oils with it.

Zilpha

Aug 7, 2008
Too inexpensive to pass up

Elizabeth and James Nirvana Black

Normally I stay away from vanilla scents, but since nearly everything has at least a little of the note in it, that's not really possible to avoid altogether. I don't mind if it rounds out a note I do like, like benzoin, tonka, or in this case sandalwood. I have a weakness for violet so this little perfume seemed safe enough blind buy at a low volume and low price.

satyen

Dec 11, 2018
Bottega veneta parch palladiono 5

Was at crate and barrel with my wife. The store manager was helping us with the purchase and the fragrance he wore really suited him. After we left the store I went to the bottega store in the mall. It really is quite outstanding. I do have to sample it a few more times before I pull the trigger though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Zilpha

Aug 7, 2008
Elizabeth and James Nirvana White

Just a simple little floral - peony, lily-of-the-valley, & musk, all notes that I love.

This is not for anyone looking for great perfumery. It's just a thing that is très jolie to wear.

cazaubon

Basenotes Plus
Jan 1, 2005
I remember trying Les Heures de Cartier when they first came out and not really loving them. But I smelled VII L’Heure Défendue today and really enjoyed it. Lots of chocolate and patchouli that smells like leather and iris too.

cazaubon

Basenotes Plus
Jan 1, 2005
I just sampled

Yves Saint Laurent Libre (2019)

View attachment 108862

It's a pretty good lavender fragrance super uncommon in the women's market and very unisex in my opinion. Everyone should sample it. Not niche in delivery and definitely with some commercial edge, but nice.

This was a scrubber on me unfortunately. It did have a vague lavender note but mostly it was a synthetic chemical mess. Worse than Lancome Idole, which was not good but less unpleasant. Mon Guerlain works better on me in the department store lavender category.

kewart

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 9, 2006
This was a scrubber on me unfortunately. It did have a vague lavender note but mostly it was a synthetic chemical mess. Worse than Lancome Idole, which was not good but less unpleasant. Mon Guerlain works better on me in the department store lavender category.

I received a sample of libre today and am not quite sure what to make of it!

The opening reminds me of a Vitamin C drink sachet you dliute with water and it fizzes
around my nose in the same way. When it settles down, it has a lavender, bubblegum vibe
and the cassis calms the fizz down somewhat. I find it leans slightly towards the feminine side and
comes off as a cool, airy scent with good throw and longevity.Nothing ground-breaking here but
quite wearable.

lilioka

Aug 5, 2019
Hmm.. I'm actually surprised, I did try a new fragrance today. I thought I hadn't had any new ones left.
It's Black Perfecto by La Petite Robe Noire Guerlain. Applied it in the morning, it's already 8pm here, I can still smell it.

As to Libre... maybe there's nothing too special about it, but it seems to me more interesting than new fragrances from other lux brands. And ... I love-love-love the bottle! :happy:

Zilpha

Aug 7, 2008
I am about 3 and a half hours into one modest spray of Areej Le Doré War & Peace on the inside of my left wrist/forearm.

I decided to start with the most unwearable of the four samples in the set. It is very animalic and reminds me a little of the perfumes I once had from the furrier house of Weil - Secret of Venus and Antilope. This one is much starker though, with a barely there touch of rose and orris root and vetiver to round things out a little.

I deliberately went light on the trigger but I still feel like I'm enveloped in a bear coat when I get a whiff of it. It's pleasant but quite heavy. My cat neither winced nor sneered when I let her smell it like she usually does, just explored it a bit.

cazaubon

Basenotes Plus
Jan 1, 2005
I’m testing War & Peace right now too. It is lovely and I’m getting a soft furry vetiver feel, kind of like Vero Profumo Onda. Despite the alarming description on Luckyscent/ALD, I find it very enjoyable and wearable, much less scary than I was led to believe.

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
Yves Saint Laurent - Black Opium EdP

Opening smells familiar, but it gets better after the initial blast. Coffee note is cool, I like that aspect. And there's like a near-sour berry smell to it also that I like.

Not bad. Potential to become better.

P1Kzgnp.png

Zilpha

Aug 7, 2008
I took a whiff of each of my new Elie Saab minis and the
Essence No. 2 Gardenia stood out to me right away, so I have put some on, and while it hasn't been long, I have to say this is a very pleasant and worth while gardenia scent, and I seem to have a number of those. This is softer and more buoyant a gardenia than I am used to. It may be going a little soapy, but really, this is quite agreeable.

Zilpha

Aug 7, 2008
^^^ Bottega Veneta & Cuir de Lancôme are the leathers I've smelled that I like. I'm not familiar with the Perles de Lalique.

Elie Saab Essence No. 1 Rose.

It didn't strike me as a rose soliflore although there are supposed to be four different roses in the formula. That's because it is really a rose vanilla. The addition of vanilla changes everything to my nose and not always for the better. Tania Sanchez described this as Coca-cola Rose but when I first put it on I thought Chanel Coco Rose. It was only when I went outside in the cold air that I got the Coke part. I think men could easily wear this.

Zilpha

Aug 7, 2008
Elie Saab Essence No. 6 Vetiver
and
Elie Saab Essence No. 7 Neroli are both straight up soliflores, simple, clean, fresh, without soapiness, neither strong nor weak longevity or sillage. Francis Kurkdijian was the nose for the whole Essence line.

Hermès Twilly Eau Poivrée shares no scent profile with the original Twilly and is like it only in style. In spite of the brutal reviews it is getting on the other site, I like it - simple isn't always bad - balance accounts for a lot. It appears that I like pink peppercorn and rose together as I was reminded of Galimard Rose Baies Roses, another simple scent I enjoyed.

Zilpha

Aug 7, 2008
Sonoma Scent Studio Nostalgie

Old school floral aldehydic in a similar style to my Guerlains - Chant d'Aromes and Nahema. Very nice.

Zilpha

Aug 7, 2008
Sonoma Scent Studio Rose Volupté on one arm and Velvet Rose on the other

Velvet Rose lives up to its name is the more rose prominent of the two.
The opening of Rose Volupté was odd and oily to me. I tried to reaply it and dropped the vial all over the place but I think this was a pass for me anyway.

Zilpha

Aug 7, 2008
Sonoma Scent Studio Ambre Noir - very rich, so much so that the amber is such a minor part of the complexity of notes that one wonders why it was even named an amber. I find it more incensey.

Zilpha

Aug 7, 2008
Serge Lutens Iris Silver Mist - Yeah, it smells like carrot, all right. It is after all meant to be dark and mysterious, moody and stark. It's not particularly wearable for, say, an every day scent. It's more like wearing art.

Frederic Malle Iris Poudre This scent is much closer to my personal style. The iris isn't as prominent in it as it is in Iris Silver Mist. There is, however, something going on in the drydown that isn't working for me - not sure yet what it is.

I've always had a tough time with iris/orris root, trying to identify it and get a good read on it. I almost gave up on it as a note I liked until I got my nose on a couple of Armani Privés where it predominates. Ombre et Lumière and especially La Femme Nacre are my reference irises now.

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
Sisley - Soir d'Orient

Different than the usual suspects, but not captivating enough. I could see this being interesting when smelling the sillage from a passerby, but smelling it up close while wearing it gives a kind of hairspray vibe. Not a heavy frag, but has a darker feel.

q4X7Lpm.png

ClockworkAlice

We all smell here
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
Jessica Simpson Fancy
I'm not a fan of Jessica's, but somehow I still wanted to try this. I'm not fancying the candied pear and quite a synthetic vibe of the opening at all, but the enveloping vanilla and caramel of the drydown wins me over in the end - I keep sniffing my wrist. The name says Fancy, but the fanciness is not of the most sophisticated kind. The bottle is definitely fancy. The scent is sweet and cozy. Sillage and longevity are strong.

Calvin Klein Euphoria
How come I haven't tried it by now? I love the woody pomegranate and overall beauty of this. I'm not that euphoric to buy it here and now, but it's a very beautiful, cozy, soft, seductive and totally wearable fragrance for me. I feel it just suits me.

Ken_Russell

Jan 21, 2006
Technically not a first ever testing-yet did retest after numerous years of absence, along with possible reformulations that may have meanwhile intervened and no scent interaction whatsoever the inexpensive (but not cheap quality) casual Versace offering of Red Jeans.

Still remaining the similar comforting, rich vanillic floral, slightly woody enjoyment did appreciate during the first samplings of this test and having kept fond memories of ever since.

Staff online

Latest News