Name the fragrance you tried/smelled today for the first time. (Feminine fragrances edition!)

ClockworkAlice

We all smell here
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
I have tried several fragrances through the weekend for the first time:

Versace Versense

26130464-3723.jpg

Fresh, green, citrusy, light and bright. Very likeable. Very spring-like. Very uplifting. I applied it on the back of my hand and could feel the joyful sparkly lemony and a bit herbal whiffs of it through the day - I was surprised to see it's quite long lasting. It doesn't shout, but you can feel its presence without sniffing your hand directly. Smells youthful, but definitely not immature - I imagine a professional woman with short hair, glasses, trouser suit, comfortable shoes (as she's always on the run), witty smile and curious attitude rocking this. I imagine my mom, both now and when I was a kid, doesn't matter the age. I think my mom would enjoy it quite a bit - I'll consider this as a gift option for future.

Agent Provocateur by Agent Provocateur

10210023.jpg

I wanted to try this for quite a while now, but it wasn't available in any physical store I visited, so I ordered a mini-bottle set of this, Blue Silk and Lace Noir from an online discounter for sampling purposes. After unpacking mini bottles, uncorking them and sniffing, I can predict that I'll like the original AP the least and Lace Noir the most, but everything in its own time. So first I wore this - now already twice - impressions on others to follow later. It is dusty, oldschool and sophisticated. Quite mature and unsweet; it's not sexy to me, but I can see how it can feel sensual and boudoir-ish to others. I read it should be mostly about the rose, but I do not perceive (or don't recognize?) the rose under the cover of dusty musk. Maybe it's because that I've been dabbing, not spraying. It's not exactly dirty, but it's not clean either. I get the dusty wardrobe feel throughout - somehow it's very common in oldschool scents, I do not understand why. After a while a tiny whiff of spices reaches my nose, and that's when I say - aha! - I can like this after all.
I would not want to wear it to work, somehow it doesn't feel appropriate here. I wouldn't wear it to a party or a date either, though, as I suspect nobody would enjoy it there on me either. I will use my two 10 ml minis at home when alone though - I can't say I really like it, but it has that something that's hard to pinpoint, but it draws you in and makes you sniff your wrists or even reapply some.

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
ILikePeeps, my impressions of Alien, Wonderlust and La Panthere were quite similar to yours - it's just that Alien I didn't try on my skin, only on paper. I was kind of surprised to read that Alien is mostly about jasmine, as to me it seemed to smell mostly of sweet grapes, the candy kind - like grape Skittles or grape bubblegum, just much much much louder. Some day I'll probably try it on my skin - maybe it'll seem different then.
I liked La Panthere, both the light and fruity EDT and slightly deeper but still soft EDP, and I loved the bottle of EDP.

I'll probably give Alien another sniff eventually - I can try to remember your candy grape anecdote :D

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
Proenza Schouler - Arizona

I get a prominent iris from this - the Dior Homme kind; lipstick-y. With a light thin-ish sweetness; not a gourmand or oriental or heavy sweetness, but more of .. I'm not sure, candied sweetness along the lines of Baccarat Rouge 540 kinda?

Yivvg39.png

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
Tiffany & Co. EdP

I was kinda dreading putting it on as I was assuming it's be a typical feminine frag, and likely a bit more old-school. Turns out it's a modern release and different than I expected.

Not bad. A nice cleaner musky with a bit of citrus. Apparently iris too, but I'm not getting a lipstick-y iris vibe - so perhaps a more layerable/background type of iris?

o8EmEKD.png

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
Twilly d'Hermes

Oooh. When I first sprayed it it seemed a bit... mature and typical/generic with a little something different. But smelling up close and looking at note stuff... I get the ginger, and I got the citrus aspect (not as much not though, aw :/). There's some kind of 'damp' floral or some such there also, kind of assuming this is the tuberose. Or combination with the jasmine/orange blossom.

Not bad, don't feel compelled to buy a bottle though.

Hk5URWT.png

No you don't. Overpriced juvenile nonsense.

Haha, but I feel I recall liking the original but I don't remember if I've worn it on skin.

Edit: What the hell?! Flowerbomb came out in 2005?!?! That's insane. I thought it was like a 2010-2015 release.

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
Elizabeth Arden - My Fifth Avenue

Eh.

Smells... largely generic/typical. What is that smell?! Why is THIS smell soooooo prevalent in feminine marketed frags? What is it? Can someone tell me please, haha.

It's that generic/typical smell - plus maybe a bit of a bubblegum-y vibe.

Pass.

Hf6rTkx.png

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
Marc Jacobs - Daisy Love

Whoa, was NOT expecting that opening. That blast of sweetness. I quite enjoy the regular Daisy with the violet. I maybe don't get any violet at all in this one. Despite it maybe being way different... it's not bad! I actually like this one :D

Like... lotion with lightly-toasted marshmallows or something.

PzgjOKb.png

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
Carolina Herrera - Good Girl Légère

Sweet, but not 'too' sweet. It has that kind of artificial-sweetener smell, you know what I mean? Like where you can tell it's sweet, but it's more... syrupy without the heaviness. Like lite-syrup or something?

Girlfriend said it smells soapy (as well). Not bad, but a pass for me. Smells a bit generic as well, like the first thing I noticed - but it has a little something (or a lot of something) extra.

p.s. They really need to label their stuff better. Probably most people would just think this was regular Good Girl. Only thing that gives it away is the concentration is Eau de Parfum Légère. jeez.

Aawyscg.jpg

Last edited:

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
Jimmy Choo - Fever

Oh man, the opening reminded me quite strongly of a fragrance from maybe a few years ago, possibly a male marketed one. Eros? Not sure.

This is actually pretty dang pleasant. I like it. Sweet, maybe fruity-ish, somewhat powdery.

K7h7XLR.png

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
Thierry Mugler - Angel Eau de Toilette (probably 2019 release version)

Yes! Much better than the regular EdP - that one wasn't bad, it was just kind of... bland/meh to me. This one has an awesome fruitiness to it, and that 'meh'-ness from the EdP is toned down. Not bad!

FaZHsFg.png

(Edit: Dec 11, realized today that I put Alien instead of Angel, whoops!)

Last edited:

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
Gucci Bloom

A mix between old-school/classic & modern smelling (white) floral. A bit indolic from the jasmine at least?

Seems like a decent baseline type of frag. Just pleasant. Not terribly interesting.

Hahaha glad to see people mentioning banana also as that may have popped into my mind right after spraying it.

osUspxo.png

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
Marc Jacobs - Daisy Dream

Nice and inoffensive. A kind of generic vibe, but not like the previous stuff I've worn necessarily. Has more of a fruity smell to it. I like it. Not sure what wisteria smells like though.

Kind of a shower gel vibe.

sdaNhCF.png

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Semi-Retirement
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
Thierry Mugler - Alien Eau de Toilette (probably 2019 release version)

Yes! Much better than the regular EdP - that one wasn't bad, it was just kind of... bland/meh to me. This one has an awesome fruitiness to it, and that 'meh'-ness from the EdP is toned down. Not bad!

FaZHsFg.png

Was the dry down similar? That was my favorite part in Angel as well as in AMEN.

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
Lancome - La Vie Est Belle (L'Eau de Parfum)

So yeah, this is a really popular darn near ubiquitous fragrance, eh? An ex-coworker of mine might wear this as pretty much the only thing, signature scent I guess.

I think I may like it better when smelling from my skin compared to when I smell it from her? Just seems more.. complex?

Not bad! Not too sweet, has like an almost bitter or tart fruity aspect to it as well. Not bad, not exactly 'wow'd though.

oDz0rm5.png

Was the dry down similar? That was my favorite part in Angel as well as in AMEN.

I can't remember, ahah. I wanna say similar, but not as... dense or something. Overall I think I prefer the EdT.

Starblind

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Oct 2, 2013
I find it fascinating that many of these reviews use the term "generic" to describe these scents.

In your opinion, are there specific notes or types of notes that make something smell "generic?"

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
Chloe - Nomade

I like this one. It has an almost bubblegum-y smell to it, and for some reason it reminds me of like a balmy violet - similar to Portrayal Man/Fahrenheit type of DNA, but not harsh or rough.

AIpkIHY.png

I find it fascinating that many of these reviews use the term "generic" to describe these scents.

In your opinion, are there specific notes or types of notes that make something smell "generic?"

I'd actually like to identify what it is that's giving me the vibe(s). But there's like a constant note or accord that's in A LOT of these fragrances. I'd nearly say that fragrances marketed towards men or unisex have more variety than feminine marketed frags - they just seem too similar to each other.

I guess in this context of these it's more of a really familiar smell and when I smell it, it's like, "Oh.. of course this smell is yet again in another feminine frag. *yawn*".

Kind of like a generic cologne guy smell, along the lines of stuff from the 90's to early 00's, like.. a Platinum Egoiste type of vibe. That metallic-y smell. Or just straight up 'calone'. That kind of generic. Where it's so prevalent.

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
Calvin Klein - Euphoria

I like this one. I thought it smelled kind of body wash-ish or shampoo-y at first, but the projection from my inner elbow to nose is really pleasing. Something to do with that altered sweetness aspect - like a... kind of powdery and maybe that mahogany is doing something? I don't know. I like it though.

bsL21G3.png

Pallas Moncreiff

Dec 16, 2018
So female mass-marketed fragrances and I do not see eye-to-eye.
The animosity goes back a long, a very long way.

However, I do have a depraved-perfume-gene, which often raises its Golam-head and I go looking or the Universe knows and someone sends me,
or somehow such a fragrance lands on my sampling table.
Of all things it was Sarah Jessica Parker's Lovely last week.

It was perfumey for the lack of better term get go. It also has a decided suede-musk accord that is nauseating.
And then comes (synthetic) Lilac-- I like the flower scent very much but synthetic lilac-mimics induce headache-- and that felt like being slapped silly.
I was utterly done with it at this point.
While I sampled it via a mouillette, some had spilled onto my fingers, and I kept washing my hands all day long.

On the other hand (not for the first time) but re-sampled 24 Faubourg by Hermès, after a very, very long time.
M. Roucel's work is still exquisite and relevant, the white gardenia/jasmine is heady but delicate and somehow in my synesthetic mind, it's all enveloped
in a crystalline sheer orange vapory glow.

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
Aura EDP by Mugler. Of course it's weird, it's a Mugler. But has it got enough character to walk the walk? As an avowed green fiend, I'm willing to cut it some slack; but can even a good green withstand a flood of vanilla and mint? Jury's still out on that.
375x500.45639.jpg

Ifti

Aug 5, 2016
Marketed as unisex - but all lean much more femme.
TF White Patchouli - nice enough - the floral in this makes it feminine rather than uni. Wouldn't miss it, notice it or search for it.
Fragonard Vetiver: standard clean very slightly floral powdery as per Prada infusions vetiver etc. Unisex. Smashing longevity.
Gucci Mémoire d'Une Odeur - really odd opening - like raw pizza dough - lol thankfully passes quick - true to its name - very lean n sheer - like a skinscent of numerous fragrances,

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
Viktor & Rolf - Magic Salty Flower

Weird. Salty (but that heavier kind of saltiness, it's the kind I don't enjoy as much. I prefer saltiness like in MI or Sel de Vetiver) + cocoa butter lotion smell + indolic jasmine? Haha.

Indolic aspect calms down fast. Less weird and closer to normal.

izRHGkn.png

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
Juicy Couture - Viva La Juicy Rosé

I like it! That initial blast of rose reminds me of Tea Rose by The Perfumer's Workshop. Has a nice candied sweetness to it (but it's not opaque or thick), and some kind of like fizzy/zingy smell to it also. :D

N1R3BoD.png

Last edited:

Zilpha

Aug 7, 2008
I was too excited to wait any longer and have applied my first wearing of Tom Ford Metallique.

For the opening, the first thing that came to my mind is "this smells masculine to me" which may well be because I wear a lot of girlie stuff. Males may not find it so masculine as I do. The second thing that came to mind was "tonka". Just to make sure I wasn't crazy I got out my vial of tonka to compare it and it smelled the same to me. I do have the sniffles, however. Then I thought about vanilla oat milk and got some out of the refrigerator. The oat milk is a lot stronger than what I am smelling but it's in the same ballpark, just a lot more delicate. There's a medicinal aspect and some baby lotion smell going on, too.
I don't know what I was expecting, but this isn't it. There's nothing about it that makes me think of anything metallic.

It will be interesting to me to see how this dries down, since I find the opening not unpleasant but just so strange.

So I've just read the pyramid listing and there's no "tonka" but there are a lot of similar smelling notes in the heliotrope and hawthorn with peru balsam grouping along with the vanilla and sandalwood.
I agree with the reviews that say there's a reminiscence in it of creme soda. I guess the vanilla will eventually conquer all in it.
Since I don't like vanilla prominent scents, it's a no go for me, even without knowledge of the bad reviews and ratings of it on Fragrantica.
I'm trying to remember why I wanted to try this so badly. It could be I wanted to smell something with a different kind of note in it like peru balsam.
I also like to smell aldehydes that I think are metallic when maybe they are really more vitreous. I can't say.

Pallas Moncreiff

Dec 16, 2018
ILikePeeps: you inspired me to do the unthinkable.
I was in a large store and I went to the female mainstream fragrance counter... åh, skräcken!

Chanel Gabrielle:
Orange peel smell is evident up top, in-between it is a mess, a jasmine-orange blossom combo which is so effete I am not sure it had any kind of gonads.
Have you ever seen Prince Rupert's drops or Dutch tears? Well, the head can handle even a bullet impact, but snap the tail... and viola. So does Gabrielle, it shatters by its tail before it even gets to the dry down.

Armani Si:
Sweet, saccharine, synthetic sweet and dry down is very reminiscent of spicy Coco Mademoiselle.

Ralph Lauren Woman. Ah, a floral-synthetic woodsy conundrum which simply fizzles out... it is like when you go to take a sip of something that you thought maybe refreshing and it is all flat and no fizz. It is not even shower-gel fresh.

While I did this I had a mouillette of Chanel No. 5 EdT beside. I used it as a nose calibrator.
By the time I was done messing, I had unfortunately attracted a crowd of SAs.
They showed me something coming soon, Joy Intense by Dior... don't even bother, it is simply non-sequitur of a perfume.
I made all of them sample Chanel No. 5 and the consensus was, this old lady can still hands down beat all this mumbo jumbo at one sniff.

Last edited:

kheharnazam

Banned
Sep 8, 2019
My friend recently suggested me All Good Scents. I tried their jasmine and flirty and loved both of them. Now I am using their Flirty. Please do try!

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
Since you mentioned vanilla I might give this a try.

I honestly can't predict whether you'd like Aura or not, N.Cal. I don't have a good handle on what kind of greens appeal to you, except I know you like No. 19 and don't like Le Canotier, :) There is a ton of vanilla in Aura, but also lots of orange blossom and mint. And of course it's powerfully synthetic, in that Mugler way -- it lasted over 14 hours on me.

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
Gucci Flora Gorgeous Gardenia

Bubblegum-y pear floral vibe. Little shampoo-ish. Don't really get that creamy feel that I'd get with something like Come L'Amore.

Edit: The pear aspect might resemble Ultra Male's as well. :)

B3siOrU.png

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Semi-Retirement
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
I honestly can't predict whether you'd like Aura or not, N.Cal. I don't have a good handle on what kind of greens appeal to you, except I know you like No. 19 and don't like Le Canotier, :) There is a ton of vanilla in Aura, but also lots of orange blossom and mint. And of course it's powerfully synthetic, in that Mugler way -- it lasted over 14 hours on me.

I think you're waving the challenge flag at me. I'd say whether I'd like it or not will come down to a toss up.

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
Marc Jacobs - Decadence

I smell... violet, banana, and I'm not sure.. like an oriental cinnamon/sweetness/very slight powder mixture? I like it. Can't say the same for the bottle... lol

Edit: Ummm, what. Apparently vetiver is one of the higher rated notes on fragrantica. I like.. don't pick that up at all?

Qewzlz1.png

Latest News