Name the fragrance you tried/smelled today for the first time - 2021

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
Mancera Red Tobacco - Signature Mancera synthetic DNA smacks you right in the face. Spicy and smoky, with a bit of a medicinal quality (is there oud in here?). There is a cacophony of notes in here and it's hard to make out every component of the fragrance. I wasn't expecting this, but this is a very sweet, syrupy tobacco scent. Other than the sweetness, it's pretty much what I had expected from Mancera. Unwearable powerful and synthetic for me. Not a bad scent overall, though.

Brian5701

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 28, 2009
Roja Dove Elysium Parfum - Amazing. Like a lot of reviews state - really high quality all-rounder scent. So short lived though, it really breaks my heart. I literally soaked a blotter with it and an hour later, I pulled it out of my pocket and couldn't detect it at all.

H_West

Oct 14, 2015
Went on a smell trip today. Haven’t had the chance to get out in awhile so I hit a few places. Standouts for me were -

Chanel - Le Lion. Loud birch smokey leathery patch. Love it.

Initio - Oud For Greatness - wanted to hate it, will probably buy a bottle 😬
I’m reminded of something I own but I can’t think of what it is.

Until today, I’d never smelled any PDM stuff. Got kind of a weird fratboy, twee sort of vibe from them. I quite like Pegasus as a pleasant fresh number. Might buy it.

LV - Afternoon Swim. Another lovely freshy. I tend to collect more dark and difficult frags so I’m thinking I need balance things out a bit and add some light to the shade.
I'm interested in trying all of those. They sounded nice too

perfumingandstuff

Mar 14, 2021
Penhaligon's Sartorial and Endymion - liked both of them, tough the latter more. The former seemed familiar but can't quite put my finger on what it reminds me of.

Initio Absolute Aphrodisiac - I have a clone of it, and smelling the real thing made me realise how close my clone is to it - though people have told me it's very feminine. I don't get feminine from it myself and like it very much.

Ormonde Jayne Montababaco - I liked it, but only if it didn't remind me of Ralph Lauren Big Pony 4, which I bought years ago.

Polo Green - grey cap.

MisterK

Dec 22, 2003
Beau de Jour by Tom Ford. I was at Sephora; my daughter dragged me in so she could get something for my wife for Xmas. After my daughter decided what she wanted to get Inmade my way to the back of the store to give Beau de Jour a shot.
(Aside: I've never wore a Tom Ford branded frag. I still have the original M7 and Rive Gauche PH though, this is more along the lines of Rive Gauche PH) This was decidedly old school fougere and can see why it gets the raves from certain folks. Heck if I didn't already have enough from the 80's I would consider it. Budget is a consideration though, so until it starts plummeting in price it will be off limit for me. Good stuff.

Last edited:

_Nicolas_

Aug 16, 2021
Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland - exactly as per reviews! Love it.

One of my favourite cheapies! (y) I quite liked it when I first got it and reading the simple note breakdown just made me consider it OK, nothing special. But it actually seems to be quite complex and reveal different aspects of itself depending on the weather! I get a really nice peaty note reminiscent of damp multi-purpose compost on warmer Autumn days. Lovely stuff! :)

Last edited:

sjg3839

Aug 21, 2012
Field Notes from Paris - Ineke. Not bad.
Au Coeur Du Desert - Tauer. Great fragrance.
Un Air D' Apogee - Maison Violet. Ok fragrance

Toxicon

May 29, 2021
HdP - This is Not a Blue Bottle 1.3

All the talk of "carnal" blood orange and "raunchy" rose and leather and saffron and... I was expecting something much different than I got. (Acteur it's not.) Has the usual HdP dustiness, which I don't mind, but the orange was quiet and dominated by a loud but pretty straightforward rose note, the kind I've smelled several times in other modern rose/oud frags. There's leather here, but nothing especially virile (certainly no 1740), and the saffron seems to soften the edges of the whole construction until it fades away. Fine but not really my thing.

Nares Hughes

Dec 28, 2018
Rogue - Flora & Fauna
Initial just-sprayed impressions are that this may be my favourite from this house so far (out of Chypre Siam; Mousse Illuminee; Champs Lunaires). Beautifully smooth apricot/civet/moss. Stunning.

2012 Eau Sauvage - Markedly different to the 2017 version I had (and regret selling). Green juice as opposed to dark yellow/golden I remember. Much deeper, myrrh-heavy, less citric. Stunning too.

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
Oud for Greatness - Incredibly smooth saffron and musk rounds out the out and makes it a joyful (relatively) easy wear. Reminds me of BR540, but Oud for Greatness is, dare I say, better. To me it comes across as a bit.. girly. Still a lovely scent and I can see why it is hyped.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
Diptyque Vetyverio EDT - Straight up fresh, light vetiver. A joy in its simplicity. Love it!
Did it remind you of something like Original Vetiver or Vetiver Tonka?
Rogue - Flora & Fauna
Initial just-sprayed impressions are that this may be my favourite from this house so far (out of Chypre Siam; Mousse Illuminee; Champs Lunaires). Beautifully smooth apricot/civet/moss. Stunning.
All natural scent. Reminds me of Guerlain Vol de Nuit and Mitsouko which are stunning classics.

Nares Hughes

Dec 28, 2018
Xerjoff Cruz del Sur I
A good winter night-time scent, it seems.
No florals here, none at all.
Medicinal/boozy spicy leather with smoky undertones.
A little of the cherry tobacco/cough-drop that's much more front-and-centre in their Casamorati 1888.
But here it's rum and dried fruits, putting me in mind of this time of year through the 70s, watching my mum do her weekly brushing of sherry, brandy, and rum onto the Christmas cake before sealing it back in the tin to soak it all up.
Not particularly animalic on me, but spicy definitely with clove prominent among the shelf-full applied here.
Grape is listed and there's a real sense of that too, expensive good quality black grapes.
I can't attest for longevity yet, but so far it's potent without being over-powering (to me at least).
Very nice.

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
Kilian L'Heure Verte - Thought I'd like this one given the notes, but it turned out to be a disappointment. I'd like less florals and more booze!

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
I got a free sample set of some Parle Moi Parfum fragrances added for free to my most recent LuckyScent order. This morning, I sat down and gave each of them an initial spray. Below are my brief thoughts on each of the six scents.

Mile High - It's a bit of a tonka bomb, but still comes across as well-composed. I don't find it particularly floral, despite immortelle being advertised at the forefront. The fragrance revolves around the center note of pineapple - a very authentic pineapple (think: better than Aventus). It's well-executed, but pineapple is a funny note for me and not something I'd really want to smell like unless I'm on vacation. Not my style, but I can appreciate that this is a more-than-fine scent.

Milky Musk - This should be called Musky Sandalwood. It's simple, but still a delight. Again, the ingredients in here smell of quality, especially the sandalwood. I don't find this one particularly complex or unique, but I would recommend it to someone looking for a sandalwood-forward fragrance.

Cedar Woodpecker - A light and fizzy ceder scent, great for warmer weather. Iris is strong in this; it's a note that's often a hit or miss for me, and in this case, I'm not crazy about it. Going down the list, the notes still smell of quality, even if it's not for me. Cedar Woodpecker is also straightforward and (IMO) a tad boring.

Woody Perfecto - This one is more my style: the notes are coffee, vetiver, and leather. It's not too smoky or leathery (or coffee-y)! I'm someone who likes my coffee scents heavy on the coffee, so there are plenty of better options for me in that department. What you do get, however, is a well-blended fragrance overall that is subtle despite being dark. I find this a positive attribute if one is looking for versatility. This fragrance smells distinguished. It's nice. But if you're looking for a coffee based fragrance, I'd skip it.

Chypre Mojo - Not what I was expecting. This stuff is weird. If you're a bit mango fan, you might like this. I get mango and strong white florals. Not what I'd like to smell like. Again, I recognize that the notes do smell of quality, and I'm starting to sense some sort of "house DNA".

Haute Provence - This is one of the better ones from the lot. I don't get on board easily with lavendar, but Haute Provence is well executed for a lavendar fragrance. Plenty of ripe, juicy melons in here, and the narcissus softens up the whole composition and makes it more unisex.

Overall, this is a house worth paying attention to. All of these scents come across as unisex to me. They have a discernable DNA that is soft and elegant. They do smell expensive, and the ingredients do smell authentic. Unfortunately most of these aren't really my style and none are worth a full bottle to me. I'd say my favorite of the lot was Woody Perfecto.

Latest News