Name the fragrance you tried/smelled today for the first time - 2021

Brian5701

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 28, 2009
YSL Libre Intense - Smells a lot like 1 Million Parfum, but maybe better. Very sweet vanilla, toffee, and white floral tonka-splosion, but no more feminine than other toothaches like Phantom, Valentino Roma Yellow Dream, and Million. Strong too. One light spray to my arm 4 hrs ago, and it's still going strong. Worth a sniff if you're into this genre.

H_West

Oct 14, 2015
Did some sampling at a friend:

Armaf - Club de Nuit Milestone
Sure smells like Millesime Imperial and the other clones like Sean John, Love & Luck etc. Not a fan of MI to start with...

Fusion d'Issey Extreme
It was forgettable in the line up

Mandarina Duck Black Extreme
I liked this one. But the story ends there

Rochas - Moustache
This was nice! I'm not done with that one

Sep 26, 2021
I had the pleasure of getting my hands on a bottle of the original formulation of Gucci Intense Oud today. For the last four hours, I've just sat here, stunned by the beauty of this scent.

Nares Hughes

Dec 28, 2018
Chergui - spot on for Autumn, really good tobacco on me.

ELDO Jasmine et cigarette - no fag ash here, just a nice unisex jasmine. A bit dark around the edges perhaps but that's okay.

Atelier Rose anonyme - a nice dark rose skin-scent. Again, unisex. Quiet but nice.

But today's stand-out for me is Navitus Lautus - I'm enjoying this because, for me, it's different, not the usual thing I'd go for. There's a combination in the opening and mid which I like - light and shade i.e. daytime fresh with night time resiny darkness. I keep sniffing this one most.

I'll see how they all progress.

Have a good day everyone.

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
Jean Paul Gaultier - Kokorico

Not bad at all! I kind of see the similarity with LIDG(E), but not exactly. This seems, hm, not as 'mature', sweeter, and maybe a more... funky patchouli rather than a cleaner dry patchouli.

I like it though.

4qBvoLO.png

naylor

Oct 24, 2011
Vero Profumo - Kiki Voile d'Extrait

A bit of a drier, darker, and more serious take than the corresponding EDP. I quite like it.

Brooks Otterlake

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 12, 2019
Jean Paul Gaultier - Kokorico

Not bad at all! I kind of see the similarity with LIDG(E), but not exactly. This seems, hm, not as 'mature', sweeter, and maybe a more... funky patchouli rather than a cleaner dry patchouli.

I like it though.

4qBvoLO.png
This is one of those "niche"-y designer scents that was too weird to connect with the mainstream but didn't have the cachet to really catch on with the fragcomm.

I think it's really cool, personally.

Toxicon

May 29, 2021
At long last: Antaeus. My decant arrived mid-day, and I gave it a blast on a test strip rather than a proper wear, since I'm in the office and already wearing Egoiste. Opening feels massive, loud and sharp, clearly a product of another time. Definitely some swirling animalic funk happening. Not at all my usual vibe, but I'm curious to see how this presents on skin. (I have a feeling my wife will hate it either way.)

Nov 4, 2021
Went on a smell trip today. Haven’t had the chance to get out in awhile so I hit a few places. Standouts for me were -

Chanel - Le Lion. Loud birch smokey leathery patch. Love it.

Initio - Oud For Greatness - wanted to hate it, will probably buy a bottle 😬
I’m reminded of something I own but I can’t think of what it is.

Until today, I’d never smelled any PDM stuff. Got kind of a weird fratboy, twee sort of vibe from them. I quite like Pegasus as a pleasant fresh number. Might buy it.

LV - Afternoon Swim. Another lovely freshy. I tend to collect more dark and difficult frags so I’m thinking I need balance things out a bit and add some light to the shade.

Toxicon

May 29, 2021
At long last: Antaeus. My decant arrived mid-day, and I gave it a blast on a test strip rather than a proper wear, since I'm in the office and already wearing Egoiste. Opening feels massive, loud and sharp, clearly a product of another time. Definitely some swirling animalic funk happening. Not at all my usual vibe, but I'm curious to see how this presents on skin. (I have a feeling my wife will hate it either way.)
Kept sniffing the test strip, but the scent seemed to be fading so I went ahead and resprayed...

Turns out the atomizer wasn't fully pressurized earlier. This time a single spray completely soaked the test strip and released a massive cloud into my office. Now my office positively reeks of Antaeus; let's see if anyone complains!

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
Xerjoff Symphonium: I mainly got 3 notes out of this one.....orange, oud and vanilla. I thought it was ok, but JUST ok.....especially considering its absurd price. Not tempted by this one. I was hoping the oud wouldn't be noticeable in this one but it is. Not generally an oud fan, unless it's hidden well.
When the oud was noticeable did it give that typical barnyard smell? Every Xerjoff that I've caught whiffs of the barnyard was a firm No to my nose.

RedRaider430

You smell good! 😄
Basenotes Plus
Dec 18, 2011
When the oud was noticeable did it give that typical barnyard smell? Every Xerjoff that I've caught whiffs of the barnyard was a firm No to my nose.
I know the smell you're referring to and I would have to say "yes". It's not overly strong, like some fragrances, but it's definitely noticeable. The note always ruins things for me, too.

MisterK

Dec 22, 2003
Clubman Special Reserve by Pinaud. Sure its in a 5 oz plastic bottle and I had to use a paring knife to unsealed the cap. But good stuff getting leather and some dirty herbals. Reminds me of the gold cap version of Greenbriar by Caswell Massey only knocking out the brighter green top notes. If you're a fan of Antaeus I could imagine you might go for this (not saying it smells like Antaeus mind you, just the vibe)

manatee

Nov 19, 2011
I'd had the opportunity to sample it several years previous and it had been a distant dream until now when I finally received my FB, but yeah... having a love affair with L'Air du Desert Marocain right now. Just such an unbelievable journey, such an utterly magical combination of accords. How the hell is this even possible?

Toxicon

May 29, 2021
Clubman Special Reserve by Pinaud. Sure its in a 5 oz plastic bottle and I had to use a paring knife to unsealed the cap. But good stuff getting leather and some dirty herbals. Reminds me of the gold cap version of Greenbriar by Caswell Massey only knocking out the brighter green top notes. If you're a fan of Antaeus I could imagine you might go for this (not saying it smells like Antaeus mind you, just the vibe)
Insanely well-executed leather frag for the price, with plenty of oakmoss to boot. Interesting point about Antaeus - I wore that this morning and hadn't made the connection, but I can see it. Special Reserve isn't quite as scary, but it's certainly not shy! One of these days I need to try decanting into glass bottles and try applying with an atomizer. I'm always surprised this performs as well as it does - lasts all day for me and radiates scent the whole time, even at cologne strength. It'd be good at any price; at $10 it's unbeatable.

Latest News