Name the fragrance you tried/smelled today for the first time - 2021

ImaFedec

Sep 12, 2019
Instant crush - Mancera: A bit disappointing. On my skin get, mandarin is the most prominent with hints of rose. There is something quite synthetic, does it come from saffron...? It is almost candy like. I even dislike the drydown even more. I don't know why, but sandalwood/vanilla feels almost lactonic which i hate.

Pure Malt - Mugler: prefer this, I am not the fruity fragrance kind of guy, but it does not bother me here as it is not overly sweet or sticky. The whiskey is there but toned down. We will see how it performs overall (sprayed 30mn ago)
Edit: Performs, unfortunately, not too well

Last edited:

HMan

Mar 14, 2020
Parfum d'Empire Iskander: Nice green citrus scent with a mossy dry down. There's a real clarity to the blend that makes it interesting, and it's wonderfully fizzy, but at the same time it's so thin in projection that it's a bit of a let down.
However longevity is good as a skin scent, but for this type of dry down, I prefer Lorenzo Villoresi's Uomo.

ImaFedec

Sep 12, 2019
Nuit de Megeve and Egypt by Eight and Bob: Found both very pleasant. I slightly prefer Egypt, but i wished it was a bit less sweet - dryer. Quite designer ish (don't remember which it reminds me off, maybe AHSEE).
Nuit de megeve is also very nice reminded me of a dark Sel de Vetvier by The Different Company. This time, I would have wished for more coffee and tonka bean to round up the dominant vetiver. Both are not FBW for my collection, but nice.

Tolu - Ormonde Jayne: Did not have enough skin but tried on paper. Very nice, I like this a lot. I ordered this sample for my wife, looking at the note breakdown. Normally I am not too keen on Rose, but here I enjoy it a lot. Will test on skin tomorrow.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
Pure Malt - Mugler: prefer this, I am not the fruity fragrance kind of guy, but it does not bother me here as it is not overly sweet or sticky. The whiskey is there but toned down. We will see how it performs overall (sprayed 30mn ago)
Edit: Performs, unfortunately, not too well
Pure Malt used to been a lot better early on. The later bottles had longevity issues I believe.

ImaFedec

Sep 12, 2019
Montabaco by Ormonde Jane: Very nice, it is a unchallenging but realistic tobacco fragrance. The sprayer from the sample I got is very weak, will need to work a bit with it the next couple of day. Heard someone of fragrantica compare it to tobacco vanille? Can't see it, total different beast. I was unsure about Ormonde Man, but this one and Tolu were winners. Thumbs up

Bourrasque - Le Galion: Also nice, how to describe it... animalic floral? For some reason, it reminded me of Cuir Ottoman despite have little to nothing in common note wise. Go figure. It is a tad too dirty for my taste though

RCavs

Sep 13, 2004
Sauvage Elixir - I have no problems with Original Sauvage and its flankers. I like them all although they can be annoying if oversprayed. That being said, as Elixir has a lot in common with its predecessors, It's also a nice fragrance. It's woodier and sweeter than the previous ones, more distinct and even formal but I still prefer the fresher takes. If It was cheaper I'd think of a purchasing.
CK Eternity EDP - Surprising green with sharp lavender edge, for the price asked, it'll be my next purchase. I was affraid of the apple's note (It normally smells synthetic to me) but there's nothing to worry about. Casual, refreshing, lives up to the original. In fact, I think it's greener, more punchy and better than the original.

ImaFedec

Sep 12, 2019
Lira - Casamorati: The right kind of gourmand. Quite straightforward, not overwhelming while delivering what it promises on paper. I enjoyed sampling it.

Habdan - PdM: Meh, does not hold well on me, and it just seems to be a bit confused. Does not know if it wants to deliver the dark trademark of the all time greats like Herod or Oajan, or go an alternative road with some dry leatheriness (without leather) and a touch of fresh apple. To me, it is just ok

Toxicon

May 29, 2021
H24 by Hermes. At Sephora today with the wife and kids, I happened upon this and figured why not. Sprayed a test strip and really liked it. It gave an impression of translucent green, airy and diaphonous, lightly citric, with a kind of lightly polished futurity. lf Azzaro Chrome didn't already exist, I could see calling this Chrome. Despite no real overlapping notes, I found myself thinking of an android version of Philosykos--just the same kind of ethereal, green, and distinctly un-perfumelike scent, albeit far less natural here. My brain flashed an instant "buy this" signal, which I somehow suppressed. Next time I'll have to test it on skin.

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
H24 by Hermes. At Sephora today with the wife and kids, I happened upon this and figured why not. Sprayed a test strip and really liked it. It gave an impression of translucent green, airy and diaphonous, lightly citric, with a kind of lightly polished futurity. lf Azzaro Chrome didn't already exist, I could see calling this Chrome. Despite no real overlapping notes, I found myself thinking of an android version of Philosykos--just the same kind of ethereal, green, and distinctly un-perfumelike scent, albeit far less natural here. My brain flashed an instant "buy this" signal, which I somehow suppressed. Next time I'll have to test it on skin.
Not sure what to make of this. I love Philosykos but don't care much for Chrome. For whatever reason, I never gave H24 much attention and so I haven't tried it yet. I should really give it a sniff next time I see it at Nordstrom. Let us know what you think of it when you test it on skin - that makes all the difference.

Toxicon

May 29, 2021
Not sure what to make of this. I love Philosykos but don't care much for Chrome. For whatever reason, I never gave H24 much attention and so I haven't tried it yet. I should really give it a sniff next time I see it at Nordstrom. Let us know what you think of it when you test it on skin - that makes all the difference.
I should clarify that my references to Chrome and Philosykos are pretty left field, and in all likelihood misleading; apologies!

Philosykos just strikes me as an interesting but oddly greenish, somewhat transparent "plant-like scent", like the smell of a freshly cut flower stem, or something you'd smell in a greenhouse (something I don't mind smelling, but not something I really want to wear on its own). It's clearly a fig-focused fragrance, but it smells like a medley of strange plant smells to my nose more than anything. H24... smelled on a paper tester was totally different (certainly no obvious fig), but something about the opening reminded me of the transparent / ethereal oddness of Philosykos, even if the notes themselves don't line up. I wouldn't read into my comparison too much; it just triggered a vague sense memory of Philosykos, but I actually enjoyed the opening of H24 a bit more.

The reference to Chrome isn't scent-related at all. H24 just has a metallic quality, something synthetic or mineral or at least inorganic, and I think the name "Chrome" could have been a good name for H24 in an alternate universe where there wasn't already a fragrance called Chrome. (I actually like Azzaro Chrome quite a bit, despite myself; noses are weird sometimes.)

naylor

Oct 24, 2011
The new Dixit & Zak fragrances arrived today. Trying out Emperor's Court currently. I quite like it, based on first impression.

RedRaider430

You smell good! 😄
Basenotes Plus
Dec 18, 2011
Sampled two new Kilian scents today.....L'Heure Verte and Apple Brandy On the Rocks.

L'Heure Verte is a nice fragrance. I didn't really enjoy the opening but loved the dry down. I wouldn't be interested buying it, but I can understand why someone would.

I own the original Apple Brandy and I was anxious to compare it to the new "On the Rocks" version. The new one is very nice. It has an excellent and compelling apple liqueur note that the original doesn't have. This note allows the On the Rocks version to not be anywhere near as linear as the original Apple Brandy. The original smells great (just like brandy), but never changes from beginning to end. Not so with On the Rocks. There seems to be an almost equal blend of "brandy" and "apple" in the new version, and it is enough to make me at least think about buying the newer version as well. I was really surprised by this one, as I didn't think I would be tempted.

As to which Apple Brandy version I like best, I really like them both equally. However, if I didn't have the original, I just might choose the On the Rocks version over the original because of the fantastic apple liqueur note. I can smell it at least two-thirds of the time, and I love it.

Last edited:

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
Sampled two new Kilian scents today.....L'Heure Verte and Apple Brandy On the Rocks.

L'Heure Verte is a nice fragrance. I didn't really enjoy the opening but loved the dry down. I wouldn't be interested buying it, but I can understand why someone would.

I own the original Apple Brandy and I was anxious to compare it to the new "On the Rocks" version. The new one is very nice. It has an excellent and compelling apple liqueur note that the original doesn't have. This note allows the On the Rocks version to not be anywhere near as linear as the original Apple Brandy. The original smells great (just like brandy), but never changes from beginning to end. Not so with On the Rocks. There seems to be an almost equal blend of "brandy" and "apple" in the new version, and it is enough to make me at least think about buying the newer version as well. I was really surprised by this one, as I didn't think I would be tempted.

As to which Apple Brandy version I like best, I really like them both equally. However, if I didn't have the original, I just might choose the On the Rocks version over the original because of the fantastic apple liqueur note. I can smell it at least two-thirds of the time, and I love it.
I still need to try L'Heure Verte, but I did try and enjoy Apply Brandy on the Rocks. Which version (new or old Apple Brandy) would you say is more boozy?

RedRaider430

You smell good! 😄
Basenotes Plus
Dec 18, 2011
Which version (new or old Apple Brandy) would you say is more boozy?
To my nose, the "brandy" note in both is exactly the same. So IMO, if you're mainly just looking for the booziness of the two fragrances, it would have to be the original Apple Brandy because that's literally ALL it is. It's just that one smell ALL the way through. If you love that smell (which I do), then it doesn't matter if it's linear, or not. However, I've read that the original Apple Brandy is hard to find now.

I like Apple Brandy for its main note for the exact same reason I love Single Malt for its linear smell. Single Malt smells exactly the same from beginning to end, so if you're a booze lover, you'll love Single Malt. Single Malt has always been my favorite of the two.

You can smell the same brandy note of Apple Brandy in the On the Rocks version as well, but it's mixed with this fantastic smelling apple liqueur that finally matches the name "Apple Brandy". On the Rocks has all sorts of other notes listed as well, but it must be blended quite well because I really can't smell them. I smell the brandy (cognac?) and the apple liqueur, primarily. On the Rocks is nowhere near as linear as Apple Brandy is, but it's a great scent. I found that the late dry down of On the Rocks pretty much just returns to the brandy smell of the original Apple Brandy.

Since I already have Apple Brandy and Kilians are so expensive, I doubt I'll wind up buying Apple Brandy On the Rocks, but I can't forget that wonderful smelling apple liqueur. I haven't smelled anything quite like it.

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
To my nose, the "brandy" note in both is exactly the same. So IMO, if you're mainly just looking for the booziness of the two fragrances, it would have to be the original Apple Brandy because that's literally ALL it is. It's just that one smell ALL the way through. If you love that smell (which I do), then it doesn't matter if it's linear, or not. However, I've read that the original Apple Brandy is hard to find now.

I like Apple Brandy for its main note for the exact same reason I love Single Malt for its linear smell. Single Malt smells exactly the same from beginning to end, so if you're a booze lover, you'll love Single Malt. Single Malt has always been my favorite of the two.

You can smell the same brandy note of Apple Brandy in the On the Rocks version as well, but it's mixed with this fantastic smelling apple liqueur that finally matches the name "Apple Brandy". On the Rocks has all sorts of other notes listed as well, but it must be blended quite well because I really can't smell them. I smell the brandy (cognac?) and the apple liqueur, primarily. On the Rocks is nowhere near as linear as Apple Brandy is, but it's a great scent. I found that the late dry down of On the Rocks pretty much just returns to the brandy smell of the original Apple Brandy.

Since I already have Apple Brandy and Kilians are so expensive, I doubt I'll wind up buying Apple Brandy On the Rocks, but I can't forget that wonderful smelling apple liqueur. I haven't smelled anything quite like it.
I love boozy scents, but you're right -- I've been unable to procure a sample or decant of the original Apple Brandy. Same goes for Single Malt. Thanks for your input!

manatee

Nov 19, 2011
Picked up a sample of Abercrombie & Fitch Authentic Night Homme, and I'm surprised as hell but this is actually quite the stunner. It's taken me since last night to wrap my head around the fact that I appear to be falling in love with an A&F scent (always sort of dismissed the house previously). I'm doing a full wearing currently and there is this harmonious fruity suede accord that's absolutely beautiful. I'm picking up a little bit of Joop! Nightflight, and apparently -- according to reviews -- there's more than a little of BR 540 here as well as the original A&F juggernaut, Fierce (neither of which I've smelled). Just might need to go pick up a bottle of this.

EDIT: I actually tried a few more samples last night, might as well share my impressions of those as well:

- Versace Eros Flame: A cloud of thick sweetness that doesn't develop and cloys at every turn. Benevolent but unrefined doofus of a fragrance. Pass.
- The One Gold For Men: A baffling flanker, to say the least. Picking up no The One DNA here whatsoever; instead what I'm getting is an uneasy mix of a Bond No 9-like citrus, hard candy and an ill-fitting dirty patchouli shoehorning itself into the base. A brash and utterly charmless scent. Hard pass.
- Jean-Paul Gaultier Scandal For Men: I'm usually not averse to trying my luck with heavily sweet and/or foody gourmands (sometimes I even pull them off) but this full-force caramel-and-tonka frontal assault, though undeniably a gorgeous scent, is waaaay out of my comfort zone. I would love to smell this all day... as long as the smell wasn't coming from me.
- Jimmy Choo Urban Hero: This sentence is eighteen words, which is eighteen more than should ever be wasted on this goose egg.

Last edited:

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
From a store at the mall yesterday, got sprayed on skin..

Le Male Aviator - Not bad, but it smells like a 'lesser' version in a way to CH Men. Maybe a bit more creamy, but not as layered/'quality'. Pass.
Prada Luna Rossa Eau Sport - Nope. Don't really care for this one. Fresh but has a weird... I don't know what it is, salty weird smell? meh.

RedRaider430

You smell good! 😄
Basenotes Plus
Dec 18, 2011
Xerjoff Symphonium: I mainly got 3 notes out of this one.....orange, oud and vanilla. I thought it was ok, but JUST ok.....especially considering its absurd price. Not tempted by this one. I was hoping the oud wouldn't be noticeable in this one but it is. Not generally an oud fan, unless it's hidden well.

Jovoy Paris Psychédélique: This is pretty much a straight-up patch fragrance for the first hour, and then it starts to develop the sweetness. This is a very nice fragrance, but I have some others that do what it does, better.

Last edited:

Latest News