Name the fragrance you tried/smelled today for the first time - 2021

d r e

Dec 24, 2018
Today I tried:
Burberry Hero
Prada Luna Rossa Ocean
Invictus Victory

Daggone it…I like them all, and they all smelled unique to me.
I liked the latter two also. I like how Victory's dry down stays fizzy rather than becoming a abstract smoothie. Haven't tried Hero yet though.

I'm glad to hear you thought they were unique, I thought the same, despite most reviewers categorizing them as 'generic, nothing new'

ChuckW

Aug 21, 2001
I liked the latter two also. I like how Victory's dry down stays fizzy rather than becoming a abstract smoothie. Haven't tried Hero yet though.

I'm glad to hear you thought they were unique, I thought the same, despite most reviewers categorizing them as 'generic, nothing new'
I don’t think I’ll buy any of them after the dry down. None were bad, though. Hero was my favorite of the 3.

Brian5701

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 28, 2009
Le Labo The Matcha - At first, I thought the SA sprayed me with Santal 33, because the opening has that milky sandalwood note at first. Eventually the fig came through. It's a less aggressive, sweeter Santal 33 to me, with some fig freshness. Like a mix of Santal and Philosykos. As much as I love matcha, this wasn't my "cup of tea".

Brian5701

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 28, 2009
Moncler Pour Homme - Sandalwood and Cedar. Sort of a sweeter, softer Tam Dao. Or even a Santal Blush but with more cedar. Not bad, but not something I'm in the market for.

The Colognnoisseur

Apr 7, 2013
Sauvage Elixer: Got a card sprayed with Elixer. Tester had a wonky sprayer so the juice got on my hand as well. Interesting enough for me to dig out my Sauvage EDT sample I have had for some time to do a comparison. I question the value of Elixer given the bottle size and marginal sorayer. I know Dior can get great sprayers — look no further than the Dior Homme line.

MattJP

Feb 14, 2013
From a sample, Asphalt Rainbow by Charenton Macerations.
Industrial/commercial aerosol rose. Interesting but not for me but anyone looking for a different rose scent may want to sample. Not bad...

Smellyicious

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 17, 2021
I tried 3 of the MM Replicas today:

Whispers in the Library: Fantastic! I could buy this. Starts off great and stays that way. Pretty linear. They nailed the waxed wood. There’s a hint of booze (brandy) and a even fainter trace of furniture polish. I also detect the marshmallow sweetness that’s also found (stronger) in…

By the Fireplace: it’s got some marshmallow sweetness that’s overpowered by the crackling campfire smoke, which is really stronger than I anticipate. It gets stronger in the first hour of wear and might be too much for me (and probably the Mrs.). I thought this would be a no brainer, but probably not. Dry down at the two hour mark is tamer and smoothe. It’s nice at this stage, with pencil shavings that remind me of Bentley Absolute.

Jazz Club: At first sniff I was in. Intoxicating. Perfectly balanced booze and fruit and leather. With some heft. But the dry down is less impressive. 90 minutes in it’s basically Black Walnut by Banana Republic. At two hours it even brings to mind Usher Homme, albeit a much higher quality and integrated version.

This line is quite fun. I’ll sample more for sure.

The Colognnoisseur

Apr 7, 2013
Mugler Cologne Come Together. Many Basenoters and those on Fragrantica indicate a difference between this and the original Mugler Cologne. I am not among them. This is perfectly fine by me as I viewed this as a backup to my bottle of the original. Mark me down as completely satisfied.

MisterK

Dec 22, 2003
Opium Secret de Parfum by YSL
Got lucky at a thrift store and snagged a half depleted 1 oz bottle for $20 USD. It was behind a display case through which I could read out "Parfum" and thought I made the score of a lifetime! Then when I put it in the car I saw it said "Secret de Parfun" and thought "Oy vey! I GOT SOME KNOCK OFF OR WACKY FLANKER AT BEST!" A quick search on the phone calmed me down. Apparently Opium Secret de Parfum was what they called the original Eau de Parfum for Opium. Heaven knows why they called it that but if you find out let's keep it a secret between you and me.
De rigeur, I got the kids to the car and prompted them they be the test subjects for Opium.
Straight up they smelled like JHL, right off the top notes. Not a bad thing mind you, I like JHL but I already have big honking bottle of JHL. Not much development on the kids, a little boozy at the start and then went straight into floral notes. No leather.
On me tonight so far it has had some development. Top notes were either a mess or not there. Some frags have to get their act together and this one certainly did. It does have some resemblance on my skin to JHL but nowhere as much as on the kids skin, its playing a little softer and taking time to unfold. I like it so far.

cheapimitation

May 15, 2015
I had never visited the Bloomingdale's in at 59th street until yesterday, their fragrance dept is massive!!! Highly recommend if you're in NYC. They also have a lot of brands I've never seen in store before including L'orchestre Parfum which I was curious about.

I tried several but the two I sprayed on my arm were Piano Santal and Encens Asakusa.

Piano Santal's opening was an instant love, creamy woody smooth rich. I was afraid this would be too sweet but it's not at all! I'm glad I waited for the dry down though because I started to like it less and less. I also found a kind of smokey/bitter aspect that I've experienced in a lot of modern high end ouds that I don't like. I dunno, none of the reviews call this fragrance smokey so I really want to go back and try it again because my impression of the drydown was very different from what I read about it. Maybe I am just sensitive to this ingredient because it annoys me and others wouldn't notice.

The Encens was also very nice, on the brighter/transparent side of incense which reminded me a lot of CDG Kyoto. Ultimately, I'd probably buy the CDG first but this might have better lasting power. If you're an incense completist though, definitely worth a try.

My overall impression was that many of them are an instant wow but become much less inspiring on the dry down. To be fair though, I tried a lot that day and I would still like to give them a better chance before writing them off.

Brian5701

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 28, 2009
Morning Chess - A very good Aventus clone. Full of smoky pineapple goodness and quite strong and long lasting. Some reviews have suggested it's weaker and less masculine than Aventus, but I disagree on both counts.

d r e

Dec 24, 2018
Burberry Hero: decent Fresh Woody type of scent, not really sure what to compare it to.

Cloud Intense: smells like an Intense version of Cloud basically. Like Eros EdP vs EdT similar to Cloud. Maybe a little thicker than the OG.

TF Eau de Vert Boheme: green floral maybe a bit of a grassy bite to it.

Current favorite 2021 release is Invictus Victory. Still haven't tried Eros Parfum though

LiveJazz

Funky fresh
Basenotes Plus
Mar 16, 2006
Moschino Toy Boy

Had this sample laying around forever and never gave it the time of day. I guess the marketing just does not appeal to me.

But it’s really good! A nicely structured woody rose. Synthetic, but gracefully so. The woods are dry, smooth and “fuzzy” and just emit a nice comfy glow. Nothing sharp or angular here.

Reminds me of Cartier Declaration d’un Soir, but much less soapy, harsh and austere.

Impressed! And I did not expect to be impressed.

MisterGrain

Apr 17, 2017
The warm snap of the last week came and went, I've got a week off from work, and so today was time for another wearing from my aforementioned order of decants.

Serge Lutens - Chergui.

Grainy hay and ambery, sugary notes carrying tobacco and sandalwood at the base. Yes, "sugary" but not sweet; you ever empty a bag of sugar into a vessel like a jar or a cup? Like that sort of sugary note.

I might've oversprayed, but I can still smell it on me a good 12 hours after applying. Not a high stress day, so I do not know yet how it performs during a cold, but physically strenuous work day. But for a cold leisurely autumn day with a few literal bumps on the road, it held quite well.

I'd previously smelled a shaving soap with a clone scent of Chergui (Soap Commander - Fortitude), so I knew I would like the scent right off the bat. As a result, I ordered a big decant. Bottleworthy? I don't know yet, but I will most certainly hold onto my decant.

Last edited:

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Semi-Retirement
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
I might've oversprayed, but I can still smell it on me a good 12 hours after applying. Not a high stress day, so I do not know yet how it performs during a cold, but physically strenuous work day. But for a cold leisurely autumn day with a few literal bumps on the road, it held quite well.
Chergui works really well in the cold. Fall/winter are the best times to wear it.

MisterGrain

Apr 17, 2017
Wearing the last, new decant from my order on an idle, easy-going day.

Tom Ford - Tobacco Vanille

The name says all about the composition, it smells like vanilla and tobacco. Not the smokey, chemically treated stuff rolled into cigarettes, either.

I'll hold onto my decant, but I'm not impressed by the composition. It smells nice, but this is not the scent I'm looking for. Performance is great and I can still smell it on me 10 hours later.

PotassiumSnow

Jun 13, 2021
Goldfield & Banks Silky Woods. The scent profile is fantastic, but I am very disappointed that it's very weak on projection and literally sits as a skin scent the moment you spray it on. I still may try to score a bottle for cheap for further testing. But I certainly would not invest in it a full retail.

Nares Hughes

Dec 28, 2018

Paranà by Bois 1920​

From the website:
... luxurious leather birch notes with fruity nuances of black currant and Italian Bergamot, an eau de parfum where the heart notes intertwines with Rose and Moroccan Jasmine. The bottom is completed by woody and amber notes ...

I like this house, so I'm a little biased probably.

This is good to my, admittedly novice, nose.

Aventus-like. Please don't ask me about batches, I have no idea. Mine's a 2019 I think, and it doesn't last long on my skin. Parana certainly does. Really good performance.

Pronounced and sustained birch note. Smoky, dark undertones to a juicy berry/citrus combo. I can't pick out the floral mid. Gets woodier along the way.
Snagged it for a good price, so I'm happy.

Lovely little bottle; really heavy lid.

Latest News