Name the fragrance you tried/smelled today for the first time - 2021

PotassiumSnow

Jun 13, 2021
Tested out three new to me scents while exploring Tobacco/Vanilla/Spicy scents.

10/1 I was working through some more Tobacco/Vanilla/Spice scents for my fall and winter collection. I was given a sample of Lalique OMBRE NOIRE. This scent is absolutely fantastic and has impressive sillage and longevity! It's a total sleeper tobacco scent! I wore it out to dinner that night and folks near us on the outdoor patio could catch gentle wafts of it and I overheard a few ladies asking each other what it is and who smells good. This is a cheap must buy if you like Tobacco/Vanilla scents!

10/2 the following Saturday we went out again to another restaurant and I tested Herod and as expected it's a wonder Tobacco/Vanilla scent. Not a overly sweet monster like TV but it was more my speed with the added spiciness. No comments from anyone other than my wife hinting that she liked it. The longevity was there but I couldn't tell if the sillage was or not as I didn't put much on. I need to do another test but I need another sample or a tiny split of this (hint hint, anyone have any?)

10/3 Sunday, cool and crisp 40 degree morning, and decided to give Spice bomb Extreme a whirl while doing early morning yard work. Fantastic scent for the price! I may strongly consider this one for the collection. The Spiciness outweighed the Vanilla and Tobacco a touch which I liked, it's unique for sure.

d r e

Dec 24, 2018
(New forum looking good! Couldn't wait much longer to post something :D)

Recently tried Stronger With you Absolutely . Was a pleasant surprise as I disliked the rest of the line. This one is less cloying sweet and has a nice nutty accord.
The same goes for Jazz club by Replica.
I've been wanting to try SwY Absolutely for a while, sounds nice but reviews are all over the place on how sweet it is. I might give it a go now

Anyways I've tried a few recently:

J-Scent Ramune:
Opening smells like Soda. It's fizzy, but it's actually pretty smooth and not acidic or harsh, good nose feel.
Overall it smells surprisingly similar to Le Male, but with Lemon & Raspberry on top. Maybe something like 40% Le Male, 40% Lemon, 20% Raspberry. Really nice. Unisex. It seems like Japanese Le Male or something. Cannot compare to the drink Ramune but I'd imagine its close.

Vilhelm Poets of Berlin:
Pretty abstract, smooth, a touch dry. Vanilla is the most apparent note, I can get the Blueberry when I look for it but doesn't stand out too much. I'll have to give it more wears because I did enjoy it at times

Mancera Royal Vanilla:
Smells like Sensual Instinct IIRC. Maybe Angels' Share also, but more Vanillic, less Cinnamon than that. It has that booziness that those have. Haven't given a full wear yet

Caron pour un Homme:
I thought this smelled sort of like the mid of Versace pour Homme, something very pleasant, musky and sort of modern in that AdG, VpH way. I could not believe this was from the 1930's. 1990s maybe? I lke it. Pretty impressed.

Guerlain Habit Rouge:
Sort of old school, I understood the Rouge/Red part immediately. Unique. Not sure how to describe it

d r e

Dec 24, 2018
TF Beau de Jour:
Pretty nice and calm. Might need to try again but this was pretty natural, nice and not very Tom Ford like to me. Not old man smelling but not juvenile either.

Atelier Vanille Insensee:
Sort of nose blinding vanilla scent, but what I could smell was nice and airy, a bit Caramelic.

Jo Malone Scarlet Poppy:
Smelled like a less sweet version of Lost Cherry, was kinda cool leaning fem. I did get some sort of poppy seed smell in hindsight, but mostly cherry.

Jo Malone Myrrh & Tonka:
Pretty unique smell, hard to describe. Almost rubbery IIRC. Kinda liked it.

BdC All Over Spray:
Gave this a full wear. The least Citrusy of the BdC's but it's maybe the freshest also. Smells most similar to BdC EdP's dry down without the grapefruit IMO. I may prefer BdC Parfum overall. Projection and longevity seem mild but nice.

A layering combo that the SA recommended (Valentino Born in Roma + TF Ombre Leather), which actually smelled pretty nice and similar to Tuscan Leather overall. An improvement over either IMO.

TF Vetiver & Golden Vanilla:
Didn't smell very Vanillic IIRC.

maksidrom

Dec 30, 2003
Creed Jardin D'Amalfi
Lovely and uplifting, but for the love of God I can't imagine paying retail for this.
I mean, the price point is obscene, I bet half of it is that silly gilded pendant or whatever.

hednic

Oct 25, 2007
Armani Prive Sable Nuit
e2a26480-27bd-4e09-9f4e-6d0cec4a4178-jpeg.171279

I bet you must love it as much as I do. :)

Last edited:

H_West

Oct 14, 2015
Prada - Luna Rossa Ocean
Not very interesting. It lacked a bit of the Luna Rossa DNA. Not bad though

Dolce & Gabbana - The One for Men Eau de Parfum Intense
Long name :) It was nice, not very close to the original and it also reminded me of something I quite can't figure out by now.

ImaFedec

Sep 12, 2019
Cuir Beluga and Frenchy Lavande: Former is good, comfy but mostly vanilla. Strongly reminded me of a more expensive but not necessarily better version of Cuir d'Orient by Sous le Manteau.

Frenchy Lavande is good, I think it also performs well, but my nose does not pick anything outstanding, or even less unique, worth that price tag.

Instant de Guerlain Eau de Parfum: Good, classic and smooth fragrance. Had difficult time finding it to sample as I love the EDT but wanted something a bit more deep and better performing. However, the edp is quite different in the scent itself. Unfortunately, I must say that I still prefer the edt that has not longevity on me (disappears after 45mn-1h).
It will officially be discontinued (Guerlain shop told me so, I personally thought it already was).

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
Regime des Fleurs - Rock River Melody

Not sure what the notes are! The opening reminds me of like... Chanel Pour Monsieur mixed with Jicky. But then it becomes more... hmm.. woody? I'm not sure what I'm smelling, lol. Opening is classic and interesting though!

After the opening it slightly resembles more something like Chypre Palatin.

jIuYubw.png

------------------------------------------

Bohoboco - Dark Vinyl Musk

Ummm, started off sweet, became like a kind of... sweetened petrichor/patchouli type of thing? lol

nti7qKL.png

Stephane Humbert Lucas 777 - Panthea

It's okay, soft, bit of citrus, mellow, nothing to write home about? Seemed cedar-y in the beginning.

LNu45ZU.png

4160 Tuesdays - Creamy Vanilla Crumble

Like a sexy potpourri. Sweet potpourri, and it has a very familiar honey accord or something. Ahh crud, what does that remind me of...?

6Y8Jmx3.png

Last edited:

d r e

Dec 24, 2018
4160 Tuesdays - Creamy Vanilla Crumble

Like a sexy potpourri. Sweet potpourri, and it has a very familiar honey accord or something. Ahh crud, what does that remind me of...?

6Y8Jmx3.png
I was considering getting a sample of this one, sounds pretty good.. what about Eros Parfum? Could've sworn you bought that like a few weeks ago.

I gave J-Scent Ramune a full wear earlier,

My thoughts are pretty much the same as my initial impression: 40% Le Male, 40% Lemon, 20% Raspberry. The result kinda smells like Grape Soda at times, but not sticky like that may sound. More of a minty, fizzy, fruity air. Sweet, fresh, not sour or harsh.

It smells really nice with decent projection and longevity. Sometimes a bit 'perfumey' but not in a really feminine way, more in a way that you wouldn't think you spilled soda on yourself or something.

Overall it just smells nice. Not sure if I'll get a bottle yet, but I'm sure I'll go thru my sample fairly easily.

ImaFedec

Sep 12, 2019
Rose Trombone - Orchestre Parfum: A little disappointed. It is a pleasant smell, but it is too harmless. Hoped for a sparkly rose followed by some slightly sweet pear/vanilla spiced up with rhum. But I mainly got a soapy rose with some musk at the end.

cheapimitation

May 15, 2015
I got lured over to the Mizensir counter at Bergdorf by a very nice SA, but I was happy to be sold to as I've never tried the line. My overall impression is they are very nice kind of high end designer smell. Very sleek and polished and they really pop but nothing too challenging, something like LV but better and cheaper.

I really like Gigembre, a super bright and fizzy ginger and bergamot fragrance with great lasting power. This would be a fantastic (and much better) alternative to Le Labo Bergamote22. I also took home a sample of Luxury which is a pretty interesting smooth slightly sweet floral, but the dry down was too heavy on ambroxan for me. There was also a really nice smooth leather perfume, but she didn't have a sample and I've forgotten which it was.

She also told me all their candles use beeswax which is great and seems quite hard to find these days! My nose was fatigued though so I didn't get into smelling the candles.

A really good house if you want something that is a level up from designer but not too challenging and smells very polished and pleasant without being boring.

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
I was considering getting a sample of this one, sounds pretty good.. what about Eros Parfum? Could've sworn you bought that like a few weeks ago.

I gave J-Scent Ramune a full wear earlier,

My thoughts are pretty much the same as my initial impression: 40% Le Male, 40% Lemon, 20% Raspberry. The result kinda smells like Grape Soda at times, but not sticky like that may sound. More of a minty, fizzy, fruity air. Sweet, fresh, not sour or harsh.

It smells really nice with decent projection and longevity. Sometimes a bit 'perfumey' but not in a really feminine way, more in a way that you wouldn't think you spilled soda on yourself or something.

Overall it just smells nice. Not sure if I'll get a bottle yet, but I'm sure I'll go thru my sample fairly easily.
I want to get Ramune!! I enjoy the soda, so I'm curious about the perfume.

Yes, I was just searching to see where I left off on stuff, I'll post thoughts on Eros Parfum soon. I have other stuff in a text file somewhere, but I'm not sure where... yet! lol

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
Versace - Eros Parfum

I have a hard time telling the difference between the EdT, the EdP, and Flame. It seems this is no different, lol. It's nothing like a departure how Sauvage Elixir is to the Sauvage line. This is very much in the same realm as all the prior Eros'.
I will say this seems to be 'smoother', and softer. Not softer as in performance, but as in the way it hits your nostrils - it's not harsh or jaggedy. It's pretty smooth, and so far I don't detect that weird dirty aspect the EdP has that reminded me of Layton Exclusif.
But yeah, don't go rush blind buying this expecting something way different. Not bad!

Note: A bit later I did notice that 'dirty' aspect like in the EdP, but toned down?
🙂
. This one might cause olfactory fatigue as well, had trouble smelling it after a bit. Bah.

8jCsVJN.png

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
Etat Libre d'Orange - Experimentum Crucis

First blast is spice - but then I get a floral... heavily reminds me of peony, like in Dia Man. I'm so curious if it's actually a peony note! And I think rose as well. Oh yeah, definitely rose. I LIKE THIS!!

Edit: Cumin, rose, wood - nice. Drydown isn't as exciting though, unfortunately. Not as spicy/cumin-y as I'd want, rose seems to have disappeared?!, and it's more.. woody, with a slight sweetness. Not bad, but hm. 3/5.

WGL2pCb.png

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
Chatillon Lux - Unconditional Surrender

No idea on the notes. I get... mimosa? And something like slightly herbal, sweet, almost oakmoss-like but not? Purple candy comes to mind.

Edit: Wow, was I way off or what? Lol "Scent notes: amber, tonka bean, amyris, cedarwood, agarwood, vetiver, cigar tobacco, black tea, jasmine and geranium. "

Rxssl8a.png

d r e

Dec 24, 2018
I want to get Ramune!! I enjoy the soda, so I'm curious about the perfume.

Yes, I was just searching to see where I left off on stuff, I'll post thoughts on Eros Parfum soon. I have other stuff in a text file somewhere, but I'm not sure where... yet! lol
I haven't tried the drink that I remember, but the fragrance is good enough to make me want to now haha.

Yep, your review of Eros Parfum is exactly what I was beginning to expect. I'll still give it a try though haha.

Anyways,

Paco Calandre
Pretty old school, classic smelling. Hard to describe. It's kinda juicy in a cologney way. Golden type of color to it's scent.

Armani lui
Sort of like a sweaty smell, but not in an underarm way. not for me but it's unique

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
Chatillon Lux - Sunrise on LaSalle

Whew, okay.

"Notes: Pear, geranium, jasmine tea, and Virginia cedar."

I get the pear, but it's more of a shampoo pear smell from the 90's. This thing comes off strong with like.. a mint type of smell. I wouldn't have assumed there was jasmine (or something jasmine-y in here) necessarily. It smells like a, hm, perfumery pear themed shampoo basically, lol. It's not bad, but not my style. Smells more of a cosmetic or household product to me rather than a perfume. Sorry!

I'm getting something very MINTY in here, but I don't know what that would be from the notes? The tea? Geranium?
Oh. Yeah I think it's the geranium.

Edit: Okay! The minty/geranium calms down a bit later and it becomes quite a bit better! It's actually a bit intriguing now. Has some sweetness. Still not totally my style, but it's better! So for anyone who tests this, give it a good 5-15 minutes.

DjRhTLU.png

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2021
I have a couple I just tried thanks to a blind buy binge.

UltraRed Man - Paco Rabanne: Sweet and dessert-like. I certainly get a blast of fruit up front, but it quickly turns into a scrumptious praline. It's very different and would be a beast in a nightclub. I'm not disappointed and am happy to have it in my collection, but will have to try it out again before I know if it will be something I wear regularly.

Wanted by Night - Azzaro: I finally jumped on this hype train even though I had never sampled it before. It hit me with a nice assortment of warm yet gentle spices. It's sweet and comforting, with maybe a touch of booze (maybe rum?). I like the fragrance a lot, but I must say that it seems to wear thin very quickly on my skin. Will need to experiment further.

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
Etat Libre d'Orange - Exit the King

Hmm.. yep, soap! But a very nice soap. It's like a fancy hard soap bar. Reminds me a little/bit of those small individually wrapped (wax paper?) soap bars, like you'd get from a hotel/motel in the 90's or something.

It's pleasant!

s4YyLDi.png

ImaFedec

Sep 12, 2019
Voodoo Flowers - Atelier Oblique

This one needs to be tested on skin (I know that many would argue that every fragrance should be tested on skin, but that is another topic).
When I first sprayed my sample on strip, I was surprised. Indeed, the leather note was quite dominant very early on without being overwhelming. Now, I needed to test on skin. This time, it was much closer to what I expected: Tropical - dense - slightly sweet flowers. Not as sparkly as I would have hoped, with notes like champagne and ginger. Vetiver and leather are lurking in the background, clearly not the main players here.
Nice fragrance. However, not FBW for me, it reminds me of an expensive cosmetic cream my wife use-d.

MisterGrain

Apr 17, 2017
Stirling Soap Co. - Haverford EdT

This is Stirling's clone of Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford. If this is anything close to what the real thing smells like, then I need more of it in my life. Powerful, smooth tobacco blossom rounded off by smooth vanilla that is neither sweet nor "screechy."

With that price and linearity (it's niche, I know, but still) I'd just settle for a big decant of the real thing. I can cover it, but I'm not sure if I want to commit to a bottle.

Maybe I just need to explore tobacco more.

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012

Chatillon Lux - Admiral​

I see mention of citrus... aquatic.... yeah, no, that's not what came to mind for me like at all, lol. I thought of leather or something leather-esque. I guess that's the smoke. This one kind of gives me a Kerosene house type of vibe. Not for me. The smoke + citrus or whatever element is interesting, but it's not immediately pleasing or reminds of perfume. If you stop and think about it, then you're like "oh, yeah, that's not bad!" - but it's not a gut reaction.

0a2fO1z.png

Latest News