Name the fragrance you tried/smelled today for the first time - 2021

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
Parfums de Nicolai Fig Tea - Excellent leafy fig and tea scent. Has an exotic feel to it with lots of earthiness. Hard to say much more other than this is one of the best fig scents I've come across which competes with Philosykos!

mustardsalad

Jan 27, 2016
Creed Original Vetiver - I'd heard for years that it smelled very similar to Mugler Cologne, which I've had and have been wearing for 20 years, so I was excited to try the same composition in Creed-level quality.

.....yuck. What a letdown. The neroli in OV is harsh, bitter, and sour. I've found this to be the case in other neroli-forward niche fragrances, too. Mugler Cologne is still the best neroli presentation I've smelled. There must be something in designer-quality neroli that smoothes things out that upper-tier neroli brings too much bitterness to. I'm so glad I got a decant of OV and not a bottle.

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
Etat Libre d'Orange - She Was an Anomaly

Does this have ambrox or iso e or something? It seemed kinda of faint/hard to smell at first. But what I do pick up is soft, maybe ethereal, slightly creamy, and just very pleasant and easy going. I like it! Seems to have a little bit of a punch/spike to it like from iso e or something, but I can't tell.

Off to look at notes!

Imwblri.png

StylinLA

Aug 9, 2009
Trying Roja Scandal Pour Homme Parfum Cologne.

Nah....all I get is a very Eau Sauvage like scent. I had read some comments along those lines, but thought it worth a try.
Doesn't improve on Eau Sauvage to my nose.

Also trying Vetiver Perfume Cologne. Very nice. Need to try a couple more times, but so far, not significantly better than Guerlain Vetiver.
At these prices, it's got to much better to me. This isn't. It's solid and may have better legs than Guerlain.

Danger Pour Homme Cologne has been likened to Heritage. But I have had Danger for awhile and much prefer it to Heritage.

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
Areej le Dore Manly. This is treading BBQ meat territory for me, which is probably the worst accord for me in perfumery. It does go through quite a bit of development, so I'm still giving it some time before making a final decision.

Trying this one finally and so far it's quite great!

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
Etat Libre d'Orange - I Am Trash

You know, I didn't have much interest in this house before except for like a couple offerings. But after sampling more... they're pretty darn nice, unique, and creative.

I didn't know what the heck I was smelling from this, except for maybe a kind of fruitiness (almost syrupy) and something kind of woody but not?

I guess it's a woody fruit type scent, but unlike many others you've smelled. This house challenges you to pick out WHAT notes/accords you're smelling.

GgZc4wk.png

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Semi-Retirement
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
Widian(?) - Rose Arabia - Almond

Pleasant, a kind of soda/Mandorlo di Sicilia vibe in the opening. Leans feminine. I think the tuberose is pretty prominent. Might get peach and coconut also, along with prominent almond maybe?

Not bad at all, not *quite* my speed, but it's nice. Would like to smell this on a lady.

RUaLUyf.png

Did you get a gourmand feel with this scent? Something like Tonka Imperiale?

Emanuel76

Jun 16, 2018
Vintage Aramis - JHL

It's beyond expectation.
Unbealivable smooth and well crafted!
I'm in heaven.
The differences from the current version are quite obvious. But, generally speaking regarding to vintage perfumes, this is no longer a surprise to me.

10/10

aramis-jhl-vintage.jpg

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
Xerjoff Dolce Amalfi - Warm spicy apple scent that reminds me of the holidays. Has a bright freshness to it, while also having some darker, sultrier notes. It's sweet and synthetic smelling (like all Xerjoffs IMO), but darn good. I'd wear this on a warm summer evening to a dinner and a walk on the beach, and be the best smelling person there. One of the better Xerjoffs I've enjoyed!

H_West

Oct 14, 2015
Xerjoff Dolce Amalfi - Warm spicy apple scent that reminds me of the holidays. Has a bright freshness to it, while also having some darker, sultrier notes. It's sweet and synthetic smelling (like all Xerjoffs IMO), but darn good. I'd wear this on a warm summer evening to a dinner and a walk on the beach, and be the best smelling person there. One of the better Xerjoffs I've enjoyed!

Well said, I like that one!

Gucci - Envy for Men
Not what to expect from a fragrance in the late nineties. I can see how this one was received out of time. Mature leaning, thick and very sweet. Will have to wear it more but OK.

MisterK

Dec 22, 2003
Bel Ami - Hermes (current formulation). As always I'm kinda cheating. I've worn Bel Ami before but it was the older mid 2000's formulation and quite frankly I forgot quite what it smells like. I also have a mini of it but I think its the older formulation. Anyhow wearing it today with 2 shots to the chest, one to the back of the hand.
There are two frags this remind me of so far. First is Sienna by Crabtree & Evelyn. The spice profile of Sienna reminds me of this but in Sienna the spices are turned up to 11. Bel Ami has a more noticeable leather profile (on the petrochemical side like Knize Ten or Fahrenheit rather than saddle soap like Equipage). I know Bel Ami is touted as a leather frag but I'd say the leather is tamed (but noticable) compared to some of the petro-leather types. So where I think Bel Ami is really shining is the fact that its not shining in one particular area- it is balancing the spices and leather.
The other frag ot reminds me of offhand is Eau d'Hermes, though less so than Sienna. Eau d'Hermes is its own beast and has fantastic development and quite frankly a masterpiece. Where I find it similar is the spices, what exactly is the mix that is reminding me between the two, I'm not sure but its there. Definitely not the same frag though!

I'm finding it to be fairly linear, can't day I got any top notes off it (often this is the case for me... When folks say they get a 'bergamot' note off a frag I just can't smell it despite drinking plenty of earl grey through the years. I still don't know what artemesia smells like.)

I don't think this is particularly overpowered despite coming from the powerhouse era. That might be since this is a recent formulation, but I don't know. I can see getting away with 5-6 sprays rather than the 3 I used today.

Good stuff.

Toxicon

May 29, 2021
Jovoy - Private Label. I've been experimenting with darker vetivers like Encre Noire a L'Extreme and Sycomore, but this is a few steps beyond with a heavy dose of dark, dank leather and a mountain of raw patchouli to accompany the swampy, steamy, black-rooted vetiver. A single spray to the chest is still pumping out fumes 8 hours later. Not for the faint of heart!

Leather isn't always my thing but I think I like this one?

StylinLA

Aug 9, 2009
Jovoy - Private Label. I've been experimenting with darker vetivers like Encre Noire a L'Extreme and Sycomore, but this is a few steps beyond with a heavy dose of dark, dank leather and a mountain of raw patchouli to accompany the swampy, steamy, black-rooted vetiver. A single spray to the chest is still pumping out fumes 8 hours later. Not for the faint of heart!

Leather isn't always my thing but I think I like this one?

Good description. I am oddly fascinated with Private Label. Not the kind of scent I would expect I would like. Unique and very good.

maksidrom

Dec 30, 2003
Zara Exclusives x Jo Loves - Ancestral Papyrus
papyrus.jpg

Opens up with a freshly cut grass/shrub smell, like cut stems with green sap, very realistic. Eventually dries down to a dusty dank earthy vegetal rooty soil smell, like you are digging out turnips or beetroots from the ground. The dry down has the same DNA as another fragrance in this series, Leather Jardin. Yup, like digging up damp rooty soil in the garden. Not sure where and when I'd wear this, but very unusual and weird.

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
Maison Margiela REPLICA By The Fireplace - Amazing warm comforting fireplace vibe! Reminds me of a better version of Kilian Angel's Share. Great chestnut accord and burning wood. Can't believe it took me so long to try this one. It could be full bottle worthy!

cheapimitation

May 15, 2015
Finally got around to trying a few things I've been eyeing on discounters. A good lesson in try before you buy and also that you're not saving money on a good deal if you end up not liking the fragrance.

Guerlain Frenchy Lavande - Some of you may have noticed this is still available in the old packaging for cheaper if you google it, so I was contemplating buying it while I can at this lower price. My first impression was "YES go home and order this immediately!" A very nice lemon verbena bright green opening, reminds me of how wonderfully Chanel Eau de Cologne opens. Unfortunately for me, in the dry down comes out a more old school barbershop type smell. If you like that smell, run out and buy it now! But for me it's a deal breaker. The word that kept coming to mind was "handsome". It's a very handsome perfume, but the vibe I prefer is more like "artistic", "intriguing" "beautiful" or "modern" so this one is not for me.

Cartier Oud and Rose - I have and really like Oud and Oud but this is a big no for me. The rose has an unpleasant sour and powdery aspect, like long dead dried roses. And the oud seems to be of the musty kind, it's like a musty abandoned basement with dead dried roses sprinkled throughout.

Cartier I L'heure Promise - The opening puff of iris is very nice but goes away within 10 minutes. It does leave behind a sexy musk that is still on my skin and quite pleasant but seems to have nothing to do with the iris opening. I pleasant little nothing of an iris perfume, but if I wanted that I'd probably go with Chanel La Pausa first.

Oh and I tried the two Hermes oils, which took the guy quite a long time to find the little wand and disinfect it so I felt kinda bad. But then he did such a tiny swipe I can hardly smell a thing. I had tried cardamusc once before and remember I found the musky base very sexy and intriguing. But if I'm going to buy one, I'd like to get a better sense of how they smell first in case I end up preferring the Pallida one.

I need to learn to speak up and say "slather it on my man!" because this happens to me a lot since SAs start handling the sprayer. I get like 1 molecule of fragrance on me and politely say thank you and walk away having no clue how the thing smells.

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
you're not saving money on a good deal if you end up not liking the fragrance.

Very true!

---

Parfums de Nicolai Ambre Cashmere Intense - This is my third Nicolai scent after having tried two other big hits - Fig Tea and Cap Neroli - and so far my least favorite. That's not to say it's bad; it is quite nice, but it's not as cozy as the name would suggest. It's very much a gourmand with plenty of lemon and vanilla. Unfortunately the lemon is such that it almost veers into "cleaning product" territory. There are some harsh spicy notes in here. Peppery. I detect some musky florals as it dries down. Overall a pleasant scent, but not what I expected. One wear is enough for me.

d r e

Dec 24, 2018
Deray White Attitude for Men:
Smells like a cK one type of fragrance, less green in the opening, more white

Lomani Adventurer:
Like a condensed form of Aventus

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
Etat Libre d'Orange - Spice Must Flow

Not sure on notes. It does seem spicy to me, but not like... pepper or cumin. I get more of a saffron, maybe rose (something akin to Rose d'Arabie dialed down), and something that reminds me of oud or patchouli.

It's like a spicy, honeyed, rose/saffron thingy. Not bad at all! Not really a 'WOW' factor, but more of a head nod and 'yeah, that smells good.'

Edit: Oh, hold on a sec. Might be the incense or cardamom or a combo, but I did get something kinda cumin-y when smelling up close. Neat.

KKXmsxF.png

gerbick

Jun 13, 2009
Jo Malone Orange Bitters... won't lie, I had zero expectations on this one. Sprayed on my arm, kept walking. An hour and thirty minutes later, returned and bought it. Luckily, they had $30 off a bottle, so got it and Cypress and Grapevine - another $30 off of that one too.

Cypress and Grapevine smells like an older scent. Can't put my hand on it, but it's a kinder version of something I've smelled ages ago.

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
Amouage Opus VI - Another one of those huge, grand smelling scents that isn't really practical. This is what you'd wear if you were working in "the study" of your home that has been in your family for generations. The opening is absolutely intoxicating but it begins to lose some magic as it dries down. Still a nice patchouli and woody scent, and one of the most beautiful fragrances I've ever smelled. It has a level of refinement and sophistication that isn't common in many fragrances these days. Although it's a bit of a challenge to wear, it really is quite beautiful, and I think I'll give my sample another try and actually wear it out somewhere.

ImaFedec

Sep 12, 2019
Rammstein - Kokain Black Intense: Ooh boy. I did not expect to encounter a Rammstein fragrance. I was at a Rossman, with my wife in Germany, and casually encountered it. Not having much time and not wanting to risk spray this on myself with my wife's senstive nose, I quickly tried it on strip. It was actually quite good! And it is a cheapie.
Will need to get back to it next time and take it more seriously. I thought I got over the phase to "judge a book by its cover" but apparently not completely.

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
Parfums de Nicolai New York Intense - Lovely, fresh opening of bergamot and lemon with an amazing masculine vibe and a classic smelling dry down. Big thumbs up!

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
La Curie Geist - Dark brooding forest scent in the same vein as Norne. A huge dollop of pine and hemlock, which is always appreciated. The notes list chocolate, but I don't really get any gourmand notes. Very smokey and leathery; the leather here is old and dirty and decayed. The color grey comes to mind. There's also an inky vibe, like an old haunted library. Great fragrance!

ImaFedec

Sep 12, 2019
(New forum looking good! Couldn't wait much longer to post something :D)

Recently tried Stronger With you Absolutely . Was a pleasant surprise as I disliked the rest of the line. This one is less cloying sweet and has a nice nutty accord.
The same goes for Jazz club by Replica.

cheapimitation

May 15, 2015
Fitting that my first post on the new forum shall be to reaffirm my dislike for Creed.

Always on a hunt for neroli, and I thought I'd give their Neroli Sauvage a try. You could've told me this is a window cleaner or an Axe body spray and I wouldn't bat an eye. Seriously, everything I've tried from them has a harsh screechy character that reads lower rung office worker trying too hard, or teenage boys first body spray.

ImaFedec

Sep 12, 2019
Today: Got sample pack with 7 fragrances of Orchestre Parfum.
I must say, their delivery was very quick and free (within EU) and their packaging extremely thoughtful (Nicely packed, with blotters, small summary-story/sample and even a short thank you note). Only for that made me already want to like their fragrances so, Chapeau.

Now the scents. I have only tried Ambre cello, Cuir Kora and Piano Santal yet. The first was nice, but bit too cloying. Did not perceive anything interesting, but was not bad. Cuir Kora is not so much my jam. The opening has something similar to Timbuktu (which I could not appreciate). Probably the mango note? If you do or like Timbuktu then you might have a different opinion.

Unfortunately, I truly disliked Piano Santal. I knew that it had a "milk" and "skin"(?) accord, but this is too much. I thought it would only soften the fragrance's edges a bit, but it brought it to gourmand territory. It is like a warm fat cup of milk, with some honey. The kind of drink one likes to get occasionally and in small portion, but not regularly.

I hope I have better xp with the Rose, Tea and Incense one tomorrow.

Latest News