Name the fragrance you tried/smelled today for the first time - 2021

d r e

Dec 24, 2018
Farmacia SS Annunziata Tahiti Vanilla

Slightly oily Nose feel.
Smooth Vanilla, Anise, Almond and Floral notes.
Feminine, but not over the top.
It's kinda like Mandorlo di Sicilia but lighter colored, like a Cream Soda rather than a Root Beer, although not much fizz/bite, more smooth and airy.
I like it, becomes more unisex as it dries

Perris Monte Carlo Vanille de Tahiti
Smells like a 'zippy'(?!) floral scent, not sure how to explain it. Not urine like reviews say. Underneath the floral note it smells like Farmacia Vaniglia basically, a Citrusy vanilla

PdM Herod
First wear on skin
Cinnamon, Cherry Tobacco
It's like directly in-between Initio Side Effect & Divine Vanille, cleaner than both though.
Nice scent, I like it

d r e

Dec 24, 2018
Eau Duelle EdP

Smells a lot like the EdT from what I remember, but maybe this doesn't have much Citruses?
Old books and Vanilla, maybe a burnt marshmallow smell.
Nice

Invictus Victory:
Smells like Invictus Intense, but instead of going salty and whiskeyish, it becomes more Woody and Vanillic with a subtle hint of Cocoa. Reminds me of coca cola. I like it, kinda unique. There's some similarities to Code Absolu also but faint in the dry down.

The more I'm smelling these, the more I see a lot of similarities. Seems like if you mixed Invictus Intense and Eau Duelle you'd get Invictus Victory

Last edited:

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
Bond No. 9 - Nouveau Bowery

Hmmm, it's a mix of citrus and herbal (so far). Not sharp, more of a mellowed rounded smell.

Decent basil/herbal smell. Doesn't blow me away though yet.

x2tB3uA.png

d r e

Dec 24, 2018
Le Male:
One of the few fragrances where I thought "that's what that smell is!" when I tried on paper, but haven't worn it til now

It's not bad. minty and powdery vanilla, tiny hint of cumin.

Sean John EdT:
Smells like a variety of fragrances without smelling like anything in particular. Sort of similar to Stronger with You in that way, and that is also one of the fragrances I'd compare it to.

Maybe a darker Stronger with You, but powdery rather than syrupy, and toned down sweetness. Nice enough, I like it

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
Etat Libre d'Orange - Rien

Not bad, but not a 'wow' for me. Not as leathery as I was expecting.

More... smokey-soap-esque, almost honeyed, and heavy/deep/dense floral kind of?

yEr4CEP.png

To me, it was very chemical smelling like paint thinner. I detected some leather, but I don't see how some people consider this one of the better leather scents. It's very strange.

d r e

Dec 24, 2018
Sean John EdT:
Smells like a variety of fragrances without smelling like anything in particular. Sort of similar to Stronger with You in that way, and that is also one of the fragrances I'd compare it to.

Maybe a darker Stronger with You, but powdery rather than syrupy, and toned down sweetness. Nice enough, I like it

Gave this a more thorough full wear and it reminded me much more of Le Male Le Parfum. Surprisingly close from what I remember. Maybe more airy, but very close

cheapimitation

May 15, 2015
Oh boy big smelling day:

I started at Cartier where I felt very silly coming just to smell some fragrance among all the suited billionaires with appointments for jewelry shopping. Anyway who cares, I wanted to smell more of the Oud line since they have been popping up on discounters.

So I tried Oud and Menthe and Oud Radieux. They are pretty straightforward as advertised. I own Oud and Oud and they both more or less smelled recognizably like that but with the oud toned down a bit and the flourish of the other ingredient. I liked Oud and Menthe more as I find it an unusual combination that totally worked. The ginger in Oud Radieux was a bit too spot on for me, really smells like the pickled ginger you get with sushi. Too close to a food smell for me.

Then on to Saks. I might have my fraghead card revoked when I admit I had never smelled a single Guerlain classic because I really am not particularly interested in old and classic scents. But i figured it was time so I tried L'Heure Bleu and Mitsuoko. I immediately liked Mitsuoko more and asked to try it on skin, it has a lovely wet woodiness to it. Later smelling my arm, it dried down to that classic vintage scent profile I've smelled before. Still very nice and something I'll probably get eventually but not something I'd wear a lot.

I was surprised they do not have the repackaged bottles of the "legendaires" yet and said they would probably come toward the end of the year. The whole line is already available on Selfrides and I'd rather have that bottle than the bee. Instead, they have huge casks of these classics and will fill the bee bottle to order.

I was also curious about the pure parfum of these scents, the only one they had was of Vol de Nuit but no tester... ugh. Guerlain is super frustrating to me the way things come in and out of stock, get repacked, renamed, repriced.

The SA was pushing me to try the new ones but I know most of them already by now. I have been curious about Iris Torrefie, especially since it appears to still be widely available in the older cheaper format. Wow it really does smell like Dior Homme Intense! It's very nice, but I always preferred just straight up classic Dior Homme EDT. I find the balance of iris, woods and bergamot just perfect in that. When the iris and sweetness gets amped up like in DHI or this Guerlain, I lose interest.

She also seemed really proud and eager to show me Angelique Noire, saying it was out of production because of material sourcing and now it's back. But I really didn't like this one. On second thought, after looking up the fragrance, maybe she thought I'd like it since I was interested in the classic Guerlains since the marketing for Angelique Noire says "It was an attempt to reproduce the famous compositions of the house." So that's cool she's knowledgeable enough to steer me in that direction. But I guess I misdirected her because i'm not really into the Guerlain classic scent profile, I'm just curious about them having never smelled them.

That's it, sorry for turning it into a long narrative! In the end I didn't feel compelled to buy any of these, and I think I've firmly decided to just save a bit and make Gucci Hortus Sanitatis my next purchase.

ImaFedec

Sep 12, 2019
I was also curious about the pure parfum of these scents, the only one they had was of Vol de Nuit but no tester... ugh. Guerlain is super frustrating to me the way things come in and out of stock, get repacked, renamed, repriced.

That's it, sorry for turning it into a long narrative! In the end I didn't feel compelled to buy any of these, and I think I've firmly decided to just save a bit and make Gucci Hortus Sanitatis my next purchase.

Thanks for that feedback. I share a lot of your views on those fragrances, and I would be super eager to try the extrait version of Vol de Nuit, as the edt was a superb scent that almost made me instant buy it, if only it lasted a little bit more on skin (very shortlived).

I tried some of the line Les Absolus d'Orient by Guerlain (only not the Musc neither the Patchouli one though). Liked them all. Bois Mysterieux and Santal Royal stood out to me. The former felt sweeter than expected (is it the Myrrh?). Santal Royal was also bit surprising, I did not get that much sandalwood but more Rose and Oud. Will come back to them to test out on skin (did not have skin space on that moment).

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
House of Matriarch Black Sheep - Super interesting concept that hits the nail right on the head as it really does smell like fleece to me! It manages to be an interesting, wearable scent without being too obscure. It's earthy and warm and almost mystical. A true comfort scent; glad I got the chance to sample it!

Edit: Unsurprisingly, this is 99.5% natural. That might explain the authenticity of the smell. Simply excellent!

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
Chris Collins Harlem Nights - So they were going for that boozy, smoky, evening in a speakeasy feel. It's a nice warm fragrance but nothing more than that. Not quite as grand as I was hoping for. It does have a nice velvety muskiness, making it an overal cozy scent. Pleasant, but others have done the genre better. Half the price for a full bottle would be more reasonable than the $175 retail.

Airegin

Sep 25, 2017
I finally got a bottle of Eau d'Hermès. It's so damn good it feels like I found the holy grail. 2016 black cap. I don't even want to know what older versions are like.

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
Widian(?) - Rose Arabia - Almond

Pleasant, a kind of soda/Mandorlo di Sicilia vibe in the opening. Leans feminine. I think the tuberose is pretty prominent. Might get peach and coconut also, along with prominent almond maybe?

Not bad at all, not *quite* my speed, but it's nice. Would like to smell this on a lady.

RUaLUyf.png

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
Guerlain - Eau de Guerlain

Not the first time as I already owned it, BUT a newer bottle arrived and a bit unfortunately it's the newly reformed Eau de Guerlain.

2019 - Fresh, lemon-y, bit of a green herb hit. Literally smells like a delicious lemon hard candy; lemonheads type of citrus. More of a lemongrass + hint of mint.

2020 - Fresh, lemon-y, less or none of the green herb hit. The lemon seems more dominant (compared to this composition, not the 2019 - the 2019 is by far stronger in lemon), but not as 'heavy'/thick/candy-like compared to the 2019. Maybe a bit more of a soapy feel, doesn't appear as strong as the 2019, even though I sprayed the 2019 first. Hmmm. It's like... take the 2019, make it a bit soapy, reduce the overall strength/lemon aspect but still have the lemon be the top player with the soap secondary.

Think I may need to track down another bottle or so of the previous formula code or older... not as satisfied with this 2020 so far. They smell very similar, obviously, but different - and the strength aspect may be a concern. The formula codes changed, and the 2020 doesn't have oakmoss listed whereas the 2019 does. Sooo...

Essentially the 2019 smells like you took lemongrass and rubbed it on your skin, but the 2020 smells like a lemon scented soap bar.

Edit: I'm surprised, the 2020 is by far weaker already, what the heck. I can still easily pick up the lemon and such from the 2019, but the 2020 is more mellow. I wonder if they actually reduced it to a literal EdC finally.. but, why. The 2019 was perfect.

d r e

Dec 24, 2018
Farmacia SS Annunziata Tahiti Vanilla

Gave this a full wear and enjoyed it
Vanilla, Anise, maybe some Almond
Nose feel and scent kinda reminds me of Lotion: slightly oily/buttery and smooth
Mild project, good longevity

Wore this to sleep and didn't have any nose clogging or anything when I woke up, so it's decent enough quality IMO. Seems like a strange thing to track but I've noticed a lot of times it helps me understand the differential in nose feel of the scent compared with wearing nothing

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
Penhaligon's Endymion - I don't usually care for lavendar but this one is very pleasant and I could wear it regularly. It's got a masculine earthy smoky vibe while still being barbershop fresh. The coffee note is subtle but works very well. The scent is rather weak, unfortunately. But other than that, it's another winner from Penhaligon's!

cheapimitation

May 15, 2015
I gave my very first full wear to my new purchase of Guerlain L'heure Bleu EDP.

I tried a spray of both this and Mitsuoko on cards at Saks last week, and I preferred Mitsuoko. But availability of these has been drying up on the grey market and I came across both on Jomashop for about $50 each and decided to just get both rather than wait for the new repacked EDT.

It's definitely a piece of history but oof I don't think I will wear this! haha

My first thought was that the opening reminds me of Chanel No. 5 but more complex and less sparkling. It's like No. 5 was a streamlined and modernized version of this scent profile. So this is like a vintage of a vintage kind of smell.

The comparisons to No. 5 quickly fade as the top notes give way to something animalic smoothed over with vanilla. It's so complex and so interesting but also smells so old haha. Definitely a piece of history I'm glad to have, but if I'm honest I kinda couldn't wait to shower and get it off. Maybe over time I'll learn to enjoy it more, but for now I'm glad to have it just for reference.

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
Etat Libre d'Orange - Soul of my Soul

I liked this immediately. It reminds of something else, but can't recall. It's gentle, with a nice semi-rooty iris, I guess?

I really like it. I Google'd about it and damn, it's pricey for an EldO!

zudk1H6.png

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
Etat Libre d'Orange - Une Amourette

Trying this again since 2019. My impression is different (based on what I read from my previous thoughts); except the old-school bar of soap statement still stands!

Interesting! This reminds me of something else, but not a perfume. It reminds me of something from real life, either in elementary school or college era. But I can't freakin' remember WHAT. It's like.. a woody jasmine scented marker? I don't know. I like it, but not FBW for me.

Actually, that might be it... some kind of soap bar I smelled as a kid, maybe a brown colored soap bar.

WHvBgBK.png

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
Creed Tabarome Millesime - Enexpected and unpleasant. All I get are pissy animalics. I wonder if my sample has gone off or if it's simply not for me.

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
Amouage Beloved Man - Clean woody scent, safer than most other Amouage offerings. It has an old-school masculine appeal, but doesn't smell dated IMO. Pretty much as versatile as it gets - restrained enough to wear to work and interesting enough to wear on an evening out. Could be signature scent worthy for some. This Amouage doesn't seem to get much talk, but I say it's worth a try. Big thumbs up!

Brian5701

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 28, 2009
Le Labo Cedrat 37 Berlin - Nice persistent cedrat scent. Stronger and longer lasting than the l’Occitane scents. Worth a sniff if you’re into this note. Not worth the money for me.

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
Etat Libre d'Orange - Attaquer Le Soleil

No idea on notes, this is from a big sample box.

I'm getting.. some kind of wood, and a spice such as cinnamon. That's pretty much it. Wood + spice (cinnamon?).

Oh, or incense. Like a massive incense. Yeah, thinking about it now, it's way more incense prominent than spice.

Off to look at note stuff!

Edit: Huh. Cistus.

Pass, btw. Not FBW for me. Reminds me of Armani Bois d'Encens, I think, which I owned and didn't care for much.

ABQbD2x.png

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
Etat Libre d'Orange - Fils de Dieu du Riz et des Agrumes

No joke, I smell like a buttered popcorn but with something softer and almost iris-y in the beginning.

Again, I'm unsure of notes, but I might faintly remember ELdO had a popcorn note in a fragrance? or am I mistaken. I'm about to check... lol.

It reminds me of the Jelly Belly Buttered Popcorn flavor, but not quite as intense or candied.

Edit: Darn, no popcorn. Maybe the rice accord, lol. Funnily enough the popcorn aspect went away a lot soon after, I spoke too soon!
This one smells synthetic to me, but not bad, it doesn't come across as 'natural' or effortless. Maybe a more 'spikey' cardamom instead of a melded or 'mild' one? No idea.

Edit: Definitely smells better and a bit elegant in the air; not one for smelling up close! Kind of a new-age soap smell.

PSrC2Av.png

Staff online

Latest News