Name the fragrance you tried/smelled today for the first time - 2021

jkonick

Feb 16, 2019
My mail haul today - sniffed these on paper so far, but will be posting some longer reviews as I wear them on skin. I've got:

Full Bottles
Guerlain Vetiver Extreme - repurchase, discontinuation FOMO
Mancera Wild Leather - Big leather with a smoky vibe that reminds me a bit of Polo
Montale Dark Aoud - Exact same oud note as TF Oud Wood

Samples:
Jean Couturier Coriandre - surprisingly nice cheapie chypre
Amouage Honour Man - smells like something from Chanel or Creed, not what I was expecting from Amouage
Mancera Roses Vanille - perfume-soaked pound cake
Goutal Eau d'Hadrien - very nice but also smells like Mr. Sketch Lemon marker
Guerlain Santal Royal - opening is kinda off-putting, but much nicer settling down to fruity leather and oud

Olfactif monthly sample set :
Rook Forest - natural pine forest, very short lived
Pink Mahogany French Cuffs - I think this is just liquid smoke
Olfactory NYC Leo - Clean, clean suede, fig and pine, smoothed down to a light, floral-aquatic woody accord

0389E59B-15B1-4ACD-9959-5D2732AE6145.jpg

ionone

Apr 20, 2020
#Papillon Artisan Perfumes - Anubis
smoky woody goodness
I'm impressed
the first two I tested from the brand were not good but this one is

cheapimitation

May 15, 2015
Tried a few things on test strips at home:

Heeley - Jasmine Od (formerly Bubblegum Chic): a very nice fun sweet jasmine and tuberose. There are some kinds of sweetness I find syrupy cloying and synthetic, but the sweetness here just gives it lift making the jasmine smell young and summery. The opening is pretty strong but like a lot of heeley quickly dries down to something more tame and less sweet, the jasmine smells of very high quality. Not my genre but still very nice to try!

MFK - Acqua Universalis Forte: I didn't realize this had jasmine in it too and at first I thought I had mixed my samples up. I was expecting bright squeaky clean citrus and white musk, but this is actual quite floral and sweet with a fresh facet that made me think of mint (though it's not listed). A lot more interesting that I expected but I'm not totally into it.

Naomi Goodsir - Nuit de Bakelite: this is powerful and VERY weird stuff. I can do weird, I love CDG... I love M/Mink, but I was borderline repulsed by the opening. I had no idea what I was smelling, a mix of green and flowers and smoke, strongly vegetal, almost like someone had been cooking an exotic dish. I want to like this line for it's creativity, I've also tried Iris Cendre and Bois d'Ascese but I find the smoke used in those too sharp and reminiscent of stale cigarettes and I find the same note here which ruins the fragrance for me. The dry down is a lot more palatable and almost nice smelling as it sweetens up and the tuberose starts to poke through the opening cacophony.

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
Pekji - Ruh

When you first glance at the notes, it doesn't quite seem to match - but then it clicks a bit.

This reminds me of other fragrances, I'm not entirely sure but Oudh Infini & Opux IX (is it this one?) come to mind.

I get the coffee in this, but it's a 'grainy' coffee texture. The initial BLAST from this comes off as maybe an animalic white floral; which isn't bad, but isn't quite my thing.

It's kinda like a... jasmine/white floral, grainy coffee, oud/animalic/challenging type fragrance? lol

Interesting frag, but not for me! :)

hBQNVeO.png

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Semi-Retirement
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
Same here - this stuff is intense. I think there's some interesting stuff going on underneath, but it's gonna take some getting used to before I can get over the initial shock haha.

Definitely the most challenging scent I've smelled thus far
Once you get past the mid notes it becomes a nice mossy earthy scent, it just requires patience to get to that point. I'm bothered by the anise spices and some of the florals that come early on in the scent.

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
Parle Moi de Parfum - Papyrus Oud / 71

Heavily reminds me of something else, if I'm not mistaken it's Vetiver 46? Not quite Jovoy Private Label, but maybe a tad reminiscent.

It smells nearly identical to something else I've smelled. Not bad, but a pass for me. Not quite my style.

Edit: Ah, that's maybe what it freakin' it! Gucci Pour Homme I!!

JjbD5oB.png

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
Parle Moi de Parfum - Mile High / 38

The pineapple is very evident; though not *quite* as realistic as in Music for a While, I think. Some sweetness, and like an almost powdery tart-ness comes to mind.

Not bad at all!

Edit: Ha, just saw 'reminds me of' Music for a While on Fragrantica. Yep! Though Music for a While seems a bit more avantgarde & natural/realistic. This seems more candied, and 'perfume-y' in a way - which may be preferable to a lot of people over the Malle.

lEwWSBs.png

Fernaldo

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Oct 10, 2020
CdG - Wonderwood / Wonderoud
Franchesca Bianchi - Tyger Tyger
Dixit & Zak - Rising Mysore 2
Bogue - Lita
MFK - Grand Soir

ionone

Apr 20, 2020
D.L.Roelen "Flower Boy" and "Broken Bouquet"
they're not really good, I was expecting something different and mind blowing according to the reviews, but it's average and not original
"Ambivalence" is sublime, though

two other samples left to test through

d r e

Dec 24, 2018
Ariana Grande REM: Nice but faint, maybe needed to spray more tbf. Seemed unisex to me if comfortable with Sweet non masculine scents.

La Vie est Belle: this is like pure hairspray feminine note I get from Montale Wild Pears & Oudmazing amongst a lot of other feminine scents. Nice for women

Mont Blanc Legend EdP: not for me but not bad

Refreshed my memory on:

Dior Homme Cologne: nice, like a less sour B22

D&G Light Blue for Women: nice, not overly feminine. Reminds me of Versace Man eau Fraiche & Soleil de Capri. Not sure which I prefer

cheapimitation

May 15, 2015
Yea it's pretty good stuff, it's the only other Byredo (besides M/Mink which I have) that I'm tempted to buy. It doesn't' smell anything like oud but it is an interesting fragrance none the less, but sometimes I find the sharp limoncello note a bit abrasive.

Byredo Oud Immortel - finally I found a Byredo whose performance doesn't suck.. :) and it smells nice... :)

d r e

Dec 24, 2018
Native Sea Salt & Cedar Deodorant

Along the lines of fragrances like Dior Homme Cologne & Dior Homme Sport. Bright & Fresh, just enough Citrus to smell extra clean without going Lemon Cleaner or sour. I believe it's only available at Target but worth checking out if you are already at the store and enjoy those type of scents. I like it

satyen

Dec 11, 2018
1947 new look dior

I really like it. Classic floral softened by benzoine and vanilla. Id buy this for my mom, but id also gladly wear it myself.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
Parle Moi de Parfum - Milky Musk / 39

Like if you toned down Santal 33 quite a bit, and added a white musk to it? Not bad at all.

Edit: I scrolled down on Fragrantica and saw Santal 33 in the 'reminds me of' area, so it seems others got a resemblance as well; good!
Edit 2: Ah, it's a sandalwood frag. Makes sense then - same type of sandalwood chemical(s) perhaps as Santal 33?

zbjxH0I.png

Fernaldo

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Oct 10, 2020
Byredo Oud Immortel - finally I found a Byredo whose performance doesn't suck.. :) and it smells nice... :)

Funny. I picked up a small bottle of this in a Nordstrom awhile back. I really loved it. It’s much more “in your face” than other benign Byredo frags. Wore it a few times and for some reason I can’t stand it anymore. A total scrubber. I think it’s the limoncello. I returned it. You gotta love Nordstrom’s return policy!

d r e

Dec 24, 2018
Solinotes Vanille: smells like Montale Sweet Vanilla's dry down, almost identical. Performance wise I dont know if it's as good.

Solinotes Tonka, Cherry Blossom, smelled perfumey feminine.

Mix Bar Bourbon Vanilla, BlackBerry Tonic, Tangerine Squeeze: all smelled very very unisex and really nice, I was surprised. However it was the body mist I tried so maybe the perfume is more feminine

All this stuff is at target. I liked almost everything

d r e

Dec 24, 2018
Indult Tihota:
Smells like just what I was hoping for. An airy Vanilla that doesnt lean overly sweet or overly mature, but doesnt feel like it's not mature either. Very simple and straightforward. Most likely the best Vanilla I've tried so far. The projection seems constant and very gentle.

Mancera Soleil d'Italie:
I'm gettin random strong whiffs of something nice. The citruses are not overly acidic or overly sweet, but rather keep a dry almost astrigent quality, however nowhere near as astrigent as any of the fig fragrances I've tried. Kinda reminds me of The One EdP without any of the tobacco or amber, just the citrusy fresh stuff. But there's another frag I cant seem to recall that might be closer.

Mancera Amber Fever:
I thought Montale Sensual Instinct immediately, but it never fully goes in that territory and instead has a softer feel. I dont immediately see the similarities to Instant Crush or BR540, but you can tell its in that genre. The whiskey note is very well done in how much there is of it, nothing super boozy but enough that it satisfies while staying well blended in the composition. I would say it's a less sweet, boozier and airier version of Montale Sensual Instinct.

Overall, I like all of these, good sample haul

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
Boadicea the Victorious - Intricate

A potent heavy leather + oud fragrance. This does NOT smell like Tuscan Leather. This is more raw & aggressive, and doesn't have that typical Tuscan Leather / Golden Boy / C for Men / Colonia Leather type 'leather' accord.

The oud appears quite prominent as well, nicely done. Not totally my style, but someone could totally rock this.

If you're looking for a heavy hitter in the leather + oud realm, check it out.

Edit: Whoops, I maybe spilled some on my keyboard.. that might be part of the reason why it was so noticeable? Haha

p2E9uyy.png

Last edited:

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
Nomenclature - Holy_Wood

A light, but busy formula. Rose, something minty(?), and a patchouli-like smell. Edit: Later on it smells of typical patchouli, maybe a tad lighter, but it does have the 'dirtiness' of patchouli. They used 'Clearwood' in this.

"The very first fragrance ingredient designed through White Biotechnology, Clearwood® is the 21st century’s answer to patchouli. Developed in California for Firmenich, this sustainable, eco-friendly material is derived from the fermentation of sugar cane. Blurring the boundary between the natural and the man-made, the pioneering Clearwood® ushers in a new age for perfumery."

Makes me think of something that A Lab on Fire would make, or has made something similar to.

So yeah.. a woody rose. Not bad, a bit interesting.

For the record, this does NOT remind me of Portrait of a Lady.
Then again, this BtV Intricate has been blasting my nose, lol. I even tried washing it off a lot, but it still prevails (but not as noticeable anymore).

Edit: Something I don't
QnJOv7n.png

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
Francesca Bianchi - Angel's Dust

Ha, funny. I was just reading about this one recently. Today I started clearing up stuff off the top of my guitar cab trying to find a flash drive, and I come across a spray sample of this that I totally forgot I even had! So.. first wearing on skin (I've sniffed the atomizer before today probably).

It's... iris + honey + powder, with a backdrop of another floral or something? It's heavy handed stuff. It's not really nuanced or airy; this will be cloying if overapplied. Nice though! Sweet, powder, honeyed iris.

M2AyAPU.png

Latest News