Name the fragrance you tried/smelled today for the first time - 2021

The Bark

Jan 24, 2003
My bottle of Resala from Arabian Oud arrived today. First off, the presentation is top notch - BUT - totally impractical. I say this because, just as with a reviewer on YouTube, my package arrived with a nerve-jarring rattling inside. Not just a single rattle, but a couple of rattles as if silverware were clanking back and forth. I opened the box to find not only had the heavy, decorative cap come off, but also the nozzle for the atomizer (one of those small, pop-on-jobbers.)

This resulted in - oh the horror! - the sense of smelling the scent already. Did it leak? How much? I grabbed the bottle and noticed a little residue around the top near the stem of the atomizer. The fill level didn't seem too bad and the box itself wasn't soaked at all.

I got lucky.

Nevertheless, totally impractical for shipping purposes and reminds me why I find the Amouage Renaissance Collection (and Overture Man) boxes to be a far superior box with the bottles fitting snuggling into it vs. a small base portion with open-air-box-interior. That being said...

IMG_5291.jpg

...the scent is definitely a warm, heavier oriental with a floral touch - though it's very well blended to the extent the rose doesn't jump out and make you say, "ah, I smell rosey or floral." It's very much middle-eastern in flavor and FEELS like something I've smelled before (perhaps somewhat similar to a Montale.) It opens with heavy saffron and a dense combination of chocolate and wood notes. It feels heavy when you put your nose right up to it and sniff, but you can tell this scent has some major presence and its beauty lies in its sillage. I do pick up some rose, but it helps give it a bit of contrast with sweetness - especially when the vanilla starts to factor in.

The chocolate here isn't overly sweet, but it does have (or something else is giving it) a bit of a dusty/powder feel to it. Think of opening a higher-end package of hot cocoa in powder form and inhaling. That's what you get here.

Is there oud in it? I can't really distinguish it and chances are, it's synthetic. The price point for this for full retail is high enough to suggest it may have some real oud in it - but you never know with the trickery of marketing nowadays. It lists for $280 on their website, but can be found for just under half this online with further discount codes... if you can find it in stock. My production date on the box was Nov. 2020, so this obviously about as new as new can get.

Ultimately, I'm not sure this is something I'd wear in an office environment as it seems romantic in its approach. Also, as an oriental, I probably wouldn't want to wear it too much (or too many sprays) if I were going to be really active as I can see body heat pushing this one out to the point it might be too much (it's definitely potent.) That being said, the sillage this leaves will most likely be causing heads to turn. It currently has an 8.7/10 on Parfumo.net from 20 ratings and a 4.39/5 from 56 votes on Fragrantica. It was launched in 2018.

EDIT: Figured out what the opening of this reminds me of - Al Haramain's Oud 36 Nuit which has received its fair share of love. It has the same Rose, Saffron, Oud accord combo, though they're still a bit different. I remember remarking that almost smells like a 'Smores with something like chocolate, even though it's not listed. I have both and will have to try them side by side.

Last edited:

d r e

Dec 24, 2018
Profumum Roma Acqua e Zucchero

I've tried this numerous times, but I was using a dabber instead of a sprayer. The difference here is important because when I'd dab it the smell was so condensed in a small area that smelling it up close would give a sort of harsh and overly sweet nuance, but the smell as a whole was still pleasant, so I figured I'd test spraying it instead.

I mostly get sweet Blueberry & Vanilla notes that simultaneously smells somewhat fresh. Something about it leans feminine but not overly so IMO. The sprayer dispersing it more thoroughly makes it smoother and easier to smell. This is one of the only fragrances I've tried that uses as notable of a Blueberry esque note. I like it

deltasun

Jun 12, 2017
Xerjoff - Dolce Amalfi

Very interesting! I thought it would just be a bubblegum spiced type of scent pretty much. I'm legitimately getting... like a Juicy Fruit type of smell with black pepper. Very interesting and weird combo!

Edit: This is not as playful/immature as I was expecting. There's a mature type side/aspect to this.

evYmVCk.png

I was surprised by this as well and ended up with a small bottle.

deltasun

Jun 12, 2017
Amouage Interlude Black Iris. I've actually never tried the original Interlude, believe it or not. I initially get a mentholated blast, followed closely by the rosemary. It seems to stay for quite a bit as the entire experience turns smoky. Not a fan at the moment, but I do want to do a full wearing with my sample.

cheapimitation

May 15, 2015
Memo - Sintra
I never would have tried this if it hadn't come in a free pack of samples as it doesn't sound like my thing... and surprise it is not. Sickly sweet marshmallow orange blossom, yuck! If I smell closely I can pick up some of the cedar and musk in the base but overwhelmingly what projects is tooth achingly sweet, no no no.

ionone

Apr 20, 2020
My bottle of Resala from Arabian Oud arrived today. First off, the presentation is top notch - BUT - totally impractical. I say this because, just as with a reviewer on YouTube, my package arrived with a nerve-jarring rattling inside. Not just a single rattle, but a couple of rattles as if silverware were clanking back and forth. I opened the box to find not only had the heavy, decorative cap come off, but also the nozzle for the atomizer (one of those small, pop-on-jobbers.)

This resulted in - oh the horror! - the sense of smelling the scent already. Did it leak? How much? I grabbed the bottle and noticed a little residue around the top near the stem of the atomizer. The fill level didn't seem too bad and the box itself wasn't soaked at all.

I got lucky.

Nevertheless, totally impractical for shipping purposes and reminds me why I find the Amouage Renaissance Collection (and Overture Man) boxes to be a far superior box with the bottles fitting snuggling into it vs. a small base portion with open-air-box-interior. That being said...

View attachment 143404

...the scent is definitely a warm, heavier oriental with a floral touch - though it's very well blended to the extent the rose doesn't jump out and make you say, "ah, I smell rosey or floral." It's very much middle-eastern in flavor and FEELS like something I've smelled before (perhaps somewhat similar to a Montale.) It opens with heavy saffron and a dense combination of chocolate and wood notes. It feels heavy when you put your nose right up to it and sniff, but you can tell this scent has some major presence and its beauty lies in its sillage. I do pick up some rose, but it helps give it a bit of contrast with sweetness - especially when the vanilla starts to factor in.

The chocolate here isn't overly sweet, but it does have (or something else is giving it) a bit of a dusty/powder feel to it. Think of opening a higher-end package of hot cocoa in powder form and inhaling. That's what you get here.

Is there oud in it? I can't really distinguish it and chances are, it's synthetic. The price point for this for full retail is high enough to suggest it may have some real oud in it - but you never know with the trickery of marketing nowadays. It lists for $280 on their website, but can be found for just under half this online with further discount codes... if you can find it in stock. My production date on the box was Nov. 2020, so this obviously about as new as new can get.

Ultimately, I'm not sure this is something I'd wear in an office environment as it seems romantic in its approach. Also, as an oriental, I probably wouldn't want to wear it too much (or too many sprays) if I were going to be really active as I can see body heat pushing this one out to the point it might be too much (it's definitely potent.) That being said, the sillage this leaves will most likely be causing heads to turn. It currently has an 8.7/10 on Parfumo.net from 20 ratings and a 4.39/5 from 56 votes on Fragrantica. It was launched in 2018.

EDIT: Figured out what the opening of this reminds me of - Al Haramain's Oud 36 Nuit which has received its fair share of love. It has the same Rose, Saffron, Oud accord combo, though they're still a bit different. I remember remarking that almost smells like a 'Smores with something like chocolate, even though it's not listed. I have both and will have to try them side by side.

most.horrible.bottle.ever.made

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012

I got lucky.

View attachment 143404

Awesome! Going to do some reading on this one. Thanks a bunch for your review, Bark!

I was surprised by this as well and ended up with a small bottle.

Glad I picked up a bottle, nice stuff. :)

Amouage Interlude Black Iris. I've actually never tried the original Interlude, believe it or not. I initially get a mentholated blast, followed closely by the rosemary. It seems to stay for quite a bit as the entire experience turns smoky. Not a fan at the moment, but I do want to do a full wearing with my sample.

Love this one; dare I say more than the original - or on par at a minimum? Excellent frag.

Memo - Sintra
I never would have tried this if it hadn't come in a free pack of samples as it doesn't sound like my thing... and surprise it is not. Sickly sweet marshmallow orange blossom, yuck! If I smell closely I can pick up some of the cedar and musk in the base but overwhelmingly what projects is tooth achingly sweet, no no no.

I should check this one out then! I love sweet frags.

FISS80

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 4, 2011
Maison Francis Kurkdjian Amyris Homme Edt
Very nice. Reminds me alot of Allure Homme (as others have stated) and Xerjoff Uden. Nice citrus and Tonka Bean. If I smell it up close, I can also get the Iris. If it was priced at the Allure Homme price range, it would probably be an easy addition. Sadly it is not and I feel the price is much to high for what you get. FWIW, I had Uden long ago and sold it.

cheapimitation

May 15, 2015
I went on possibly my 4th or 5th trip to sample the Hermessence line, I already own 2 full bottles (Vetiver Tonka and Rose Ikebana) and 4 from the travel size set but there are several that elude me.

The problem is that these are subtle compositions and each one that I have come to appreciate I had either a travel or a sample to use at home.

Testing at the store I feel like I'm left with a weak impression and I can hardly remember what I smelled. Smelling the cards when I return home is equally frustrating as some smell like absolutely nothing!

I'm trying to get a better impression of:

Santal Massoia
Tried it a few times now and mostly get a green milky fig, a nice smell but leaves me scratching my head, is this it?

Osmanthe Yunan
The reviews and notes make me really want to try it, I even scored a sample to take home this time which I sprayed generously on myself, it was a nice smell but COMPLETELY gone within an hour

Vanille Galante
I generally don't like vanilla but something about this intrigues me, it's the only one I can still pick out from the cards I took home and I like how it seems like a very natural earthy vanilla, would like to try more

Cardamusc
The SA asked if I had tried the oils and I said no, so he gave me a streak of this on my arm. It is actually very nice, quiet but long lasting, the only one I could still detect at the end of the day. Still... it smells like the base of a scent not a fully finished composition. If money was no object to me I would buy this as a night time fragrance, but alas it is the most ridiculously priced in an already expensive line

Iris Ukiyoe
Another I must have sampled 2-3 times by now but walk away unable to remember how it smelled, all I remember is something fresh and floral

Porcelain Muguet
At first sniff this was my favorite of what I tested today. It stood out with a relatively strong fresh natural floral opening, but alas that card smelled like nothing by the time I got home. I would love to try a generous spray on skin of this one in the future

I think that's all for now, despite my criticism on longevity the ones I do know well I have no issue with their performance. Which makes me wonder if I just need more time with the ones I find lacking now. Or maybe I've already picked out the best of the bunch and that's all there is to it.

For reference, the ones I have tried extensively and like are: Vetiver Tonka, Rose Ikebana, Agar Ebene, Myrrhe Eglantine, Poivre Samarcande, Epice Marine, and Cuir d'Ange

One I have tried extensively and do not like: Paprika Brasil
Two I have tried once and didn't like: Ambre Narguile, Brin de Reglisse

d r e

Dec 24, 2018
Montale Aqua Gold

On my skin I mostly notice Leather, Citrus & Lavender, maybe Woods also. The Black bottle is appropriate, as theres something very dark about it, but somehow it's still pretty fresh. Somewhat of a soapy smell. The sillage is the best part of this scent and to me is reminiscent of Soleil de Capri, but the closer you smell those the easier it is to identify them. Soleil de Capri is bright and fresh to the point where it could dissolve tar, and Aqua Gold is more dark and mysterious, more masculine maybe.

Overall I'm neutral on this, but the more it drys down the more I'm enjoying it. Smells sort of unique to me but not overly out there/strange. Has something addicting in there, I've smelled my arm like 50 times just from this wearing. Getting close to a like for me

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
Xerjoff - Fiore d'Ulivo

Interesting! So it initially presents feminine, but the more you smell it the more unisex it seems - and you pick up on other elements. So first and foremost it's a nice floral; not screechy, not a heady white floral. Mixed the pleasant relatively 'light' floral aspect with some muted citrus. Then, throw in a hidden sweetness element that may be somewhat along the lines of others in this line (think Dama Bianca), but greatly reduced.

Somehow has an almost aquatic feel or something to it as well, but clean.

Overall, quite pleasant, but I don't feel compelled to pick up a bottle for myself. Women might love this one.

Note: I did let my co-worker wear it before, before I did.

hDKZ1St.png

Last edited:

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
Xerjoff - Gran Ballo

Nice. It's sweet, but not a heavy sweetness. More prominent than the above Fiore d'Ulivo, but not as heavy as maybe Dolce Amalfi or Dama Bianca in sweetness.

Has a nice fruity aspect to it also, not sure what that is. I think of peach, or kumquat, or some such. I suppose it's honeysuckle with something else? Note: I let my co-worker wear it before, before I did. I think I noticed the honeysuckle more easily from her.

Oh, I get the caramel! This is a kind of caramel display I appreciate, it's not the heavy syrupy caramel that so many gourmands have. It's more nuanced and realistic. Nice!

vtbzAY5.png

FISS80

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 4, 2011
Maison Francis Kurkdjian Petit Matin - Seems like it would be a great summer fragrance. Longevity is great and it creates a very nice scent bubble. The problem is that it is not unique and the price point is similar (maybe a bit cheaper in some cases) to other fragrances in a similar category i.e. Neroli Portofino and flankers and Creed Jardin d'Amalfi. I already own the Creed and it is much better IMO. Definitely more expensive but worth the extra money.

BigFish

Jan 4, 2011
Chanel Le Lion - just delivered. Enjoying the first 30 mins or so - vanillic, smoky leather. Intrigued as to how it will develop!

FISS80

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 4, 2011
Amouage Enclave - Mint, Cardamom and Patchouli are the main players. It smells great. It doesn't make me say wow though. It feels like a mix between Roja Parfums Enigma and Clive Christian No 1. An unexpected release from Amouage.

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
Amouage Enclave - Mint, Cardamom and Patchouli are the main players. It smells great. It doesn't make me say wow though. It feels like a mix between Roja Parfums Enigma and Clive Christian No 1. An unexpected release from Amouage.

Sounds interesting. I'd like to try this one.

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
Amouage - Memoir Man

Finally got to try it! It's really good! Not totally my style, but it has hits here and there that I really enjoy. May be growing on me.

It smelled very familiar at first, but can't remember what to liken it to. It has a nice woody forest-y type of smell going on (I'm bad at explaining, sorry, haha). And an 'ashy' type element I'm fond of.

Thumbs up so far!

Edit: Oh ho ho, sweetness may be coming out a bit! Yesssss. This is like a distant relative of Interlude Man or something. A 2nd cousin who lives in another state/country.

CN7gaZZ.png

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
Vintage (2009) Tuscan Leather - Not quite as different from modern Tuscan Leather as I was expecting, in all honesty. It has the same signature decadent leather accord as the newer batches. Whatever chemical compound was used to make that note doesn't seem to have changed. The opening smells quite different than the newer stuff, though. There is a greater dose of raspberry, sure, but not much greater. I was surprised to notice more "dirtiness" in the vintage juice. I'm not entirely sure what I'm smelling, but it smells bolder and a little bit less refined (not necessarily in a bad way). I guess many people have noted that Tuscan Leather smells like cocaine, and that could be the difference that I'm smelling in the vintage juice; I can't say for certain as I have no experience with that stuff. I admit that vintage Tuscan Leather performs better than newer batches, but it's not nuclear as I was expecting. I'm sure there are factors that affect performance such as how the juice was stored over time and my skin chemistry. I must say that while I enjoy this batch a lot, it's not significantly more pleasurable to wear than my 2019 batch. I'll have to give it some more wears to see if I can assess any other differences.

JJ The Terrible

Mar 2, 2020
Vintage (2009) Tuscan Leather - Not quite as different from modern Tuscan Leather as I was expecting, in all honesty. It has the same signature decadent leather accord as the newer batches. Whatever chemical compound was used to make that note doesn't seem to have changed. The opening smells quite different than the newer stuff, though. There is a greater dose of raspberry, sure, but not much greater. I was surprised to notice more "dirtiness" in the vintage juice. I'm not entirely sure what I'm smelling, but it smells bolder and a little bit less refined (not necessarily in a bad way). I guess many people have noted that Tuscan Leather smells like cocaine, and that could be the difference that I'm smelling in the vintage juice; I can't say for certain as I have no experience with that stuff. I admit that vintage Tuscan Leather performs better than newer batches, but it's not nuclear as I was expecting. I'm sure there are factors that affect performance such as how the juice was stored over time and my skin chemistry. I must say that while I enjoy this batch a lot, it's not significantly more pleasurable to wear than my 2019 batch. I'll have to give it some more wears to see if I can assess any other differences.

............(inhales a line of coke off a hookers @$$) Yes, PrinceRF!!! Tuscan Leather definitely has that note! Cant tell if it's Medelli'n or Cali cartel though........

FISS80

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 4, 2011

Your assessment is right in line with my experience when comparing "vintage" TL to what is out there now.

Last edited:

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
Diptyque - L'Ombre dans l'Eau

Very pleasant, and quite realistic/natural smelling! It has a green 'bite' to it, kind of like how Nio does. It has that freshly crushed plant stem smell going on, but not too strong. With a soft floral type ambiance around it. Something very slightly sweet. It's a gentle perfume.
Unsure if EdT or EdP in this decant I was sent.

Interesting. Later on it seems to smell a bit more mashed together, maybe a tad sweeter, and a.. tomato smell! Not bad though!

GVrU1BF.png

ionone

Apr 20, 2020
#Papillon Artisan Perfumes
Bengale Rouge : not bad, but smells exactly like "O'Cedar"(anti-dust product) in the opening, then the DD is excellent (because that "O'Cedar" smell is attenuated)
Dryad : not bad but feminine
Salome : quite bad and too feminine

O-Cedar-depoussierant-300ml.jpg

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
Eau Capitale - It really impressed me for a rose-based fragrance. Too feminine for my tastes, but still earns a thumbs up from me.

Latest News