Olympic Orchids - Bay rum
not bad but very strong on the "Bay St Thomas" EO

Olympic Orchids - Tucson
really good, more mainstream than others from the brand but really well made

Honger

Aug 5, 2017
Nasomatto - Baraonda: Wow!

Edit:
The Yulong: Mediocre. Not bad, but it's similar enough to one of the Bulgari scents that I don't find it noteworthy.

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
Ermenegildo Zegna - Elements of Man: Passion (sprayed on her the other day, but myself today)

Very similar to something else I've smelled, I just can't remember what it is.

I get.... an oud (a more rubber-y faux oud, I feel), a kind of berry aspect, some sweetness but not a lot. Semi-dry, but semi-wet.
I think the faux-oud aspect is just the saffron and maybe amber or something playing tricks on me, as I'm used to smelling saffron with oud so my mind resorts to that. Rum maybe more prominent than the cognac, can't say I pick up much cognac, hm.

Not bad at all, but a pass for me as far as full bottle worthy.

It's one of those unfortunate frags that SMELL GOOD, but it's just missing the 'it' factor. The 'wow', the pizazz. It doesn't have the spark.
It's more a mellowed, "Yeah, that smells good."

RrkJ3eO.png

Last edited:

The Bark

Jan 24, 2003
My Fragrancebuy.ca order has arrived and both these are stunning! The Chopard really, really surprised me as I wasn't sure what to expect other than the notes call to mind Mexican hot chocolate (and there is a cacao note in there with peppers.) Interestingly, my order from another Canadian outfit, nichessence.com, shipped about the same time and they're both located in/around the Toronto metro area. Fragrancebuy drops their shipments off in Buffalo while NicheEssence is coming via FedEx international and took the route through Michigan. Both were to be delivered today, on a Saturday, but I'm not holding my breath for the Naxos in the other shipment as that was still in Michigan, albeit only 3+ hrs away, as of this morning. Just interesting they took different routes.

As for Dolce & Gabbana Velvet Amber Sun: Yes, this does smell quite a bit like Tom Ford's Amber Absolute. That I got it for $80 and change makes me feel like I committed a felony. Sure, there are some differences, but overall, from my recollection, it's quite similar without some of the dirtier aspects of Amber Absolute.

Update: Several hours later (5.5 - 6) this is still going strong. Definitely get the vanilla in the base with amber and still feel like this is Amber Absolute's lost cousin. I can tell this one is going to be on my skin for quite some time.

Chopard Or de Calambac has top notes are Star Anise and Pink Pepper; middle notes are Hazelnut, Cacao, Juniper, Tonka Bean and Cinnamon; base notes are Laotian Oud, Myrhh, Vetiver, Agarwood (Oud), Cypress, Guaiac Wood and Labdanum. This opened up very green to me and reminiscent of something else with "green pepper" note I've smelled before. I was expecting something heavier, denser, perhaps thicker - but this was kind of "bright" in its own unexpected way and very, very classy. It's already evolving on my skin, but gosh - I'm REALLY liking this. What a way to start out the new year.

Update: This is really a surprise. So, this entire Gardens of Kings line is eco-friendly and apparently made from all naturals. Though they credit the Oud as being trademarked with "Oud Assafi," it's apparently done so for the processing purposes of Oud Assam which is "recognized as the most precious Oud in the world." Whether that's for marketing purposes or the truth, I dunno. What's surprising to me is there's a stage of development where I could swear I smell something like ambroxan - well done, like in a few other high-end perfumes I've smelled, yet there's the testament to all natural ingredients being used. Quite the parlor trick.

As this settles and into several hours later, the notes are all very well blended together that nothing in particular stands out - though there is the semblance of each floating about (cocoa, hazelnut, a touch of cinnamon, etc.). It's just a smooth scent. Very well done by Albert Morillas.

2nd Update: I read through the booklet included and saw there were some notes listed that aren't on the internet, one being red pepper. I suddenly realized where the opening I thought reminded me of something else came from: L'Artisan Piment Brulant opens with chili pepper and has that same accord as here, plus it shares similar notes of cacao and cinnamon - but the two fragrances don't smell much alike after that.

I also have a sample of Amouage's Interlude 53 arriving today. If the other shipment makes it, that will also include three samples of things I haven't tried yet, either, so it's going to be a very smelly weekend.

IMG_5290.jpg

Last edited:

The Bark

Jan 24, 2003
Amouage Interlude 53 - from a sample. This opens noticeably different to my nose. There's a definite "greenness" to it, but I don't smell oregano, per se. If it's there, it's not as sharp and piercing as it is in the opening of the original. Rather, this opens with a more woody smell to it - and, as I read/heard somewhere else, an almost "ancient" feel about it. As it develops, slowly, it has a very smokey feel to it that is accompanied by an almost mentholated note. I haven't a clue what it could be, but it lasts just for a couple of minutes.

At this point, I'm thinking... hmmm. Not sure about this. It's not bad... it's just... different. And then it happens: the sweetness of the opoponex lacking in Black Iris comes thru giving this an almost candied feeling to it. It's smooth, it's smokey, alluring amongst other things. It's not that unlike the original, but there's a depth to it all. The closest I can come to analogy-wise is Interlude Man is like watching a film in 2-D, and Interlude Man 53 is like watching it in 3D. Everything just "pops" with more texture and depth to it. It's what I would imagine kids/younger people growing up in the digital-age of music hearing vinyl for the first time would experience. It's the same song. Same lyrics. Same instruments. Same performers... but you're experiencing it through an entire different realm now which makes it fascinating.

I can't speak performance-wise at this point in terms of longevity, but it feels like it's going to last quite a while - no problemo. Projection-wise, I expected this to cling a little closer to the skin and it does, but that doesn't mean it's a slouch by any means. I only have a 2ml sprayer and a couple of squirts are doing the job with putting me in a blissful cloud of ambery-smoke. With the price point of the original Amouage fragrances creeping up in terms of full retail, we're essentially talking an extra $100 for essentially twice the concentration which, to me, seems like a heck of a deal (though understandably it's much more of a reach if one is purchasing the original at discounted prices.)

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
My bottle of Chanel - A Gentleman's Cologne arrived today. Very nice! Definitely gentlemanly, soft, elegant. No harsh or sharp edges.

Anyone else who owns this (or Pour Monsieur, or Chanel for Men) - tips on how much to apply? It's a 60's or so 4oz splash, and I'm not sure how much to apply! Just rub generously over my forearms and neck/torso? lol.

(I previously tried a sample of Chanel for Men, which I totally forgot about: https://www.basenotes.net/threads/4...time/page266?p=4650682&viewfull=1#post4650682 )

Not my bottle, but for reference:
B4asA34.png

Rabidsenses

May 10, 2019
Canali Men by Canali.

While I probably smelled this quickly in the Canali boutique at Harry Rosen a long time ago it was surely just a sniff from the placard before agreeing to take a few samples with me, pay for my Canali tie and then depart. After that the samples were placed in Sample Land to be both forgotten and overlooked all this time.

If only a decade and some time ago (maybe 15 years?) I had actually taken the time to sample and wear this properly I surely would have grabbed a bottle. Instead, being of the mind to have something venturing into the fruity-woody domain I opted for the far more gentle Classic 1920 by Bois 1920, a singular bottle of which has lasted me as I’ve only casually nursed it and must still be hovering at 25mL.

So I’m really only experiencing this today after pulling it from its long-held cool storage. And what a polished, refined fruity-woody breath of fresh air! Canali Men (2005) encroaches well on the level of class it intends to serve its wearer. Warm yet clean, just the slightest touch of soapy, and a powdery refrain in the most refined tradition. The fruitiness, in particular, is given a punch with the pineapple (there goes Pierre Bourdon again with the pineapple!), and while the middle reads as a comprehensive overture to floral nuances it is so well blended. Whereas the Bois 1920 is more fruity-woody this one is fruity-floral-woody but, again, the blending is so well executed that this one is more for the impressions than the note pinpointing. Presumably the warmth comes from the sandalwood-leather-tonka-musk base, with cedar amping the woodiness and vetiver helping to elevate the clean top and middle notes while also adding perhaps only the tiniest dollop of green. On the latter, I dunno, perhaps my detection of the green isn’t accurate, but it is at most only minimal. And, to be clear, the leather here is more of a suede.

Still in the middle of wearing this one. Frag experience already tells me, however, that this one will likely last no more than 4-5 hours. It’s a gentle scent with no more than a moderate projection. At 2 hours it is already indicating that will settle close to the skin for the last half of it’s journey. So while the beastmodites need not apply I have long ago found peace with eau de colognes and eau de toilettes which I really enjoy and am not whatsoever inimical to the practice of reapplication - whether Summertime neroli concoctions or Bottega Veneta Pour Homme (despite the existence of an “Extreme” and Parfum which, IMO, just change what I love about the original) - I appreciate what I really like and will reconcile any misgivings on longevity with a simple reapplication. Nobody gets hurt and no prisoners taken.

Ladies and gentleman, behold the example of a BN’er who messed up royally. The lesson being that you never hold a sample for so many years lest you return to it and realize something special you might have missed. Now all these years later, where once I would have clearly opted for Canali Men over other fruity-woody standard bearers for which my personal affections attach a certain gentlemanly countenance to, I will have to contend with a vanishing reality meets the unicorn broker. Now glimpsing at the current extraordinarily high price point how I wish my foolishness hadn’t gotten in the way and I had made acquisitions during the circa 2005-2007 fair market value. All for being inattentive for what was sorta in front of me. Lesson learned.

Great scent.

Bummer on me.

Ifti

Aug 5, 2016
Got a hold of that vintage miniature of Oscar Pour Lui- dang! Feels rawer, rougher bolderand more animalic than I'm used to. Phew!

Also a.miniature of Moschino Pour Homme. Now, wow, this is pretty got stuff. Dense like attar, dank fecal note like barnyard , stays stiff and sways a little bel.ami and a little Pour Lui. So good I ordered a bigger one!!

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
Xerjoff - Lira

Received this sample along with an order today.

Yum! Really gourmand! Sweet, but not over the top sweet. It has a bit of class. I definitely get the resemblance to Kerosene Unknown Pleasures in the opening, specifically.

Just a pleasant easy-going gourmand. Nice stuff. Waiting on a bottle of it; so the sample came in handy.

nrRqfGD.png

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
My Fragrancebuy.ca order has arrived and both these are stunning! The Chopard really, really surprised me as I wasn't sure what to expect other than the notes call to mind Mexican hot chocolate (and there is a cacao note in there with peppers.) Interestingly, my order from another Canadian outfit, nichessence.com, shipped about the same time and they're both located in/around the Toronto metro area. Fragrancebuy drops their shipments off in Buffalo while NicheEssence is coming via FedEx international and took the route through Michigan. Both were to be delivered today, on a Saturday, but I'm not holding my breath for the Naxos in the other shipment as that was still in Michigan, albeit only 3+ hrs away, as of this morning. Just interesting they took different routes.

As for Dolce & Gabbana Velvet Amber Sun: Yes, this does smell quite a bit like Tom Ford's Amber Absolute. That I got it for $80 and change makes me feel like I committed a felony. Sure, there are some differences, but overall, from my recollection, it's quite similar without some of the dirtier aspects of Amber Absolute.

Update: Several hours later (5.5 - 6) this is still going strong. Definitely get the vanilla in the base with amber and still feel like this is Amber Absolute's lost cousin. I can tell this one is going to be on my skin for quite some time.

Chopard Or de Calambac has top notes are Star Anise and Pink Pepper; middle notes are Hazelnut, Cacao, Juniper, Tonka Bean and Cinnamon; base notes are Laotian Oud, Myrhh, Vetiver, Agarwood (Oud), Cypress, Guaiac Wood and Labdanum. This opened up very green to me and reminiscent of something else with "green pepper" note I've smelled before. I was expecting something heavier, denser, perhaps thicker - but this was kind of "bright" in its own unexpected way and very, very classy. It's already evolving on my skin, but gosh - I'm REALLY liking this. What a way to start out the new year.

Update: This is really a surprise. So, this entire Gardens of Kings line is eco-friendly and apparently made from all naturals. Though they credit the Oud as being trademarked with "Oud Assafi," it's apparently done so for the processing purposes of Oud Assam which is "recognized as the most precious Oud in the world." Whether that's for marketing purposes or the truth, I dunno. What's surprising to me is there's a stage of development where I could swear I smell something like ambroxan - well done, like in a few other high-end perfumes I've smelled, yet there's the testament to all natural ingredients being used. Quite the parlor trick.

As this settles and into several hours later, the notes are all very well blended together that nothing in particular stands out - though there is the semblance of each floating about (cocoa, hazelnut, a touch of cinnamon, etc.). It's just a smooth scent. Very well done by Albert Morillas.

2nd Update: I read through the booklet included and saw there were some notes listed that aren't on the internet, one being red pepper. I suddenly realized where the opening I thought reminded me of something else came from: L'Artisan Piment Brulant opens with chili pepper and has that same accord as here, plus it shares similar notes of cacao and cinnamon - but the two fragrances don't smell much alike after that.

I also have a sample of Amouage's Interlude 53 arriving today. If the other shipment makes it, that will also include three samples of things I haven't tried yet, either, so it's going to be a very smelly weekend.

View attachment 143074

Awesome, thanks for your thoughts! :)

d r e

Dec 24, 2018
Montale Fougeres Marines:
Smells extremely familiar, but I don't know what fragrance it reminds me of. A lot of reviews say 90s Aquatic smell, which is the general vibe I'm getting. I get a slight boozy vibe also. Not my style but not bad or anything. Unisex-Masculine

Montale Aqua Gold:
Can't imagine anything similar, it's pretty unique for a freshie IMO. Mostly get Lavender, Citrus and a hint of Leather or something in the background. Theres something in here that I like and will likely try wearing later. Unisex-masculine

Montale Starry Nights:
I like this so far, and it was the one I was least sure about. Smells like Intense Cafe's Rose + Vanilla mixed with 1 Million or something like that, IMO. Will have to retry this, initial impression is good. Unisex

FISS80

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 4, 2011
Roja Parfums Aoud
Excellent as always from Roja. Clean and austere with a velvety smooth feel. Very similar to MFK Oud Satin Mood Extrait (which I already own) but the Roja creation is much more smooth and clean. Honestly, if I had discovered this before Oud Satin Mood, I would have easily chosen this. As it stands however, I already own the MFK and there are too many similarities to own both, IMO.

smockle

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 25, 2020
Dior Ambre Nuit. I like it a lot. It reminds me of Chanel Égoïste.

It’s the first I’ve tried from the Maison Christian Dior line; a sample of Bois D’Argent arrived today, but I haven’t had an opportunity to try it.

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
Roja Parfums Aoud
Excellent as always from Roja. Clean and austere with a velvety smooth feel. Very similar to MFK Oud Satin Mood Extrait (which I already own) but the Roja creation is much more smooth and clean. Honestly, if I had discovered this before Oud Satin Mood, I would have easily chosen this. As it stands however, I already own the MFK and there are too many similarities to own both, IMO.

Nice write up. I'm really interested in trying this one as I've tried both Amber Aoud and Musk Aoud, finding them to be excellent compositions, yet I haven't tried Aoud. I did enjoy Oud Satin Mood, so I think I'd like this one. :smiley:

d r e

Dec 24, 2018
Montale Starry Nights:
I get a huge amount of patchouli on my skin, not for me.

Montale So Amber:
Without the Potpourri smell this is very close to my tastes. In fact after my attempt to wash it off, it actually smells pretty nice. The Raspberry-Rose note is enjoyable. Might give this another try.

Most likely done sampling Montale for a while. Sweet Vanilla is great and I am planning on getting a bottle, Intense Cafe, Chocolate Greedy and Vanilla Cake are all good but too descriptive(?) of certain things for me to wear on a normal everyday basis, but otherwise smell good.

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
Xerjoff - Dolce Amalfi

Very interesting! I thought it would just be a bubblegum spiced type of scent pretty much. I'm legitimately getting... like a Juicy Fruit type of smell with black pepper. Very interesting and weird combo!

Edit: This is not as playful/immature as I was expecting. There's a mature type side/aspect to this.

evYmVCk.png

The Bark

Jan 24, 2003
Just a couple of quick impressions, cause I love it when packages are delivered first thing in the morning!

Xerjoff Naxos - Glad I got a full bottle. I have owned Havana for a while, but I've never been a huge fan of Mugler's typical dry-down. This is similar, yet a classier version as many have noted before.

Amouage Opus XI - Woah. This one is interesting. Definitely not something that has other offerings smelling like it. Leathery/ashy/oud. This was one of three samples, but unlike the next two which were manufacturer samples, this came as a 3ml sample/decant (all came with my Naxos purchase from NicheEssence.com.)

Xerjoff Golden Dallah - I get a little coffee from this. Didn't wow me, though I like the spices. Would preferred to have it more coffee-centric, but will give it a full wearing nevertheless.

Xerjoff More Than Words - I like this! Jammy fruit over oud. It reminds me of something else I can't put my finger on, but this is right up my alley!

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
Just a couple of quick impressions, cause I love it when packages are delivered first thing in the morning!

Xerjoff Naxos - Glad I got a full bottle. I have owned Havana for a while, but I've never been a huge fan of Mugler's typical dry-down. This is similar, yet a classier version as many have noted before.

Xerjoff More Than Words - I like this! Jammy fruit over oud. It reminds me of something else I can't put my finger on, but this is right up my alley!

Naxos is just better overall, the drydown is killer.

As far as More Than Words, you may be thinking of Armani's Rose d'Arabie.

Fernaldo

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Oct 10, 2020
D.S. Dugra - Mississippi Medicine - Love the cypress\wood and medicinal camphor. Very piercing in the opening.

VIktor & Rolf - Spicebomb - Smelled it a long time ago and got a decant out of curiosity. Instantly reminds me of Nordstrom's. Like the spice.

Versace - Eros - Never smelled and was curious. Pleasant, a little boring. I am assuming the new version isn't as nuclear as the old, doesn't seem too overboard. People say this fragrance is super sweet. I don't get that at all.

The Bark

Jan 24, 2003
Naxos is just better overall, the drydown is killer.

As far as More Than Words, you may be thinking of Armani's Rose d'Arabie.

That could be (Rose d'Arabie), but the one I was thinking of just came to mind: Bond NY Oud. Slightly different, but similar in overall effect and feel (at least the opening.) NY Oud has that nice, jammy plum note in it.

Latest News