My own perfume making me sick

Cdelgado

Oct 4, 2022
Purchased some ready made perfume oils but after mixing all of them with alcohol and premix, I felt ill. I always use perfume and this never happens. Is it because of sniffing the perfume way too soon? Its been aging 2 days and I could still smell the alcohol. Or could it be the perfumers alcohol making me sick?

ourmess

Basenotes Junkie
Apr 25, 2018
#1: If you bought pre-made mixes that someone else made, you have no idea what's in them. You might be sensitive to one of the materials.

#2: 99% of the time someone says their project "smells like alcohol", it means they're smelling it directly from the bottle. If this is the case, then...stop smelling it directly from the bottle. ;p Dip a test strip, wait a second, and then smell that.

#3: "Perfumer's alcohol" is a non-standardized marketing term. Make sure you're using either pure (190+ proof) ethanol, or pure SDA40B ethanol.

Cdelgado

Oct 4, 2022
#1: If you bought pre-made mixes that someone else made, you have no idea what's in them. You might be sensitive to one of the materials.

#2: 99% of the time someone says their project "smells like alcohol", it means they're smelling it directly from the bottle. If this is the case, then...stop smelling it directly from the bottle. ;p Dip a test strip, wait a second, and then smell that.

#3: "Perfumer's alcohol" is a non-standardized marketing term. Make sure you're using either pure (190+ proof) ethanol, or pure SDA40B ethanol.
Thanks for this. Yes guilty of smelling it straight from the bottle. 🤣

parker25mv

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 12, 2016
This is highly unlikely to be the cause, but are you spraying lots of it on your skin? What is the exact grade of alcohol you are using. It might have brucine as a denaturant in it and might not have been originally intended for perfumery/cosmetic applications. It's a possible explanation, but a very unlikely one.

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...