My Non-Investment Timepiece Collection!

Calico3777

Banned
May 29, 2019
Very much so. I remember when they first came out with their transparent design. Which model do you have your eye on? By the way, your Muller sounds wonderful! :smiley:
Thank you hednic regarding the Muller. As for the Quinting. I'm undecided between a Mysterious Chronograph with white dial or the Cyclone PVD Black. I really like them both and they;re pretty much in the same price range. Any advice or thoughts on these two that might sway me in one direction or the other and help me decide?

nikonNUT

Nov 30, 2018
A lovely collection Hednic! Not my cup of tea as I have, for some odd reason, a love of tool watches. You can laugh but a Seiko Marine Master 300 (A SBDC001 "Sumo" is my daily beater) is at the top of my list followed by a Grand Seiko SGBA031 spring drive along with the classic dive watches.

Last edited:

Mr. Prince

Apr 15, 2019
A lovely collection Hednic! Not my cup of tea as I have, for some odd reason, a love of tool watches. You can laugh but a Seiko Marine Master 300 (A SBDC001 "Sumo" is my daily beater) is at the top of my list followed by a Grand Seiko SGBA031 spring drive along with the classic dive watches.

Grand Seiko is very nice and underrated.

hednic

Oct 25, 2007
Thank you hednic regarding the Muller. As for the Quinting. I'm undecided between a Mysterious Chronograph with white dial or the Cyclone PVD Black. I really like them both and they're pretty much in the same price range. Any advice or thoughts on these two that might sway me in one direction or the other and help me decide?
Well, as you can see from my collection above I have no chronographs as they're not my cup of tea. Having said that, the transparency of the Mysterious is classic to the brand and what they made their name on. I personally think the Cyclone is sharp, elegant and can see it as being both formal and informal. If you don't mind my asking, what line of work are you associated with? Also, have you ever owned a chronograph before?

Last edited:

hednic

Oct 25, 2007
Edit: I just read your About Me tab, fascinating life journey and follow Imoca 60 yacht racing. Excited for the Vendée Globe next year!
Unfortunately, I have zero knowledge about sport and competitive yachting although I'm sure it's exciting . My experience I'm sorry to say is confined to the commercial, leisurely, touristy type. :smiley:

hednic

Oct 25, 2007
Beautiful collection, and great to see so many automatics. There’s something about the weight and movement of an automatic that’s extremely satisfying. Wonderful to see a couple of Omegas in the mix too; I have an affection for classic Omegas :). So understated and well-proportioned. Elegant and practical.

Love it, thanks for sharing.
You're quite welcome and thank you for your kind words. :smiley:

Ken_Russell

Jan 21, 2006
With apologies if imposing on this wonderful and so inspirational and inspiring thread, if sometime in future (though would be delighted to do so right now) your collection for prospective/upcoming wristwatch purchases and if budget were unlimited or far more permissive, any square, tonneau, rectangular shaped in your collection would easily become and remain a major inspiration.

Trusting your watch as well as fragrance tastes to undeniable, defining, inspirational extent have gained thanks to the pictures enough data, material and recommendation (s) to last for a (both investment tier and non-investment) wristwatch collection of lifetime and even beyond.

hednic

Oct 25, 2007
With apologies if imposing on this wonderful and so inspirational and inspiring thread, if sometime in future (though would be delighted to do so right now) your collection for prospective/upcoming wristwatch purchases and if budget were unlimited or far more permissive, any square, tonneau, rectangular shaped in your collection would easily become and remain a major inspiration.

Trusting your watch as well as fragrance tastes to undeniable, defining, inspirational extent have gained thanks to the pictures enough data, material and recommendation (s) to last for a (both investment tier and non-investment) wristwatch collection of lifetime and even beyond.
Thank you Ken for the more than kind glowing remarks. As for prospective watch purchases, I have had my eye on and have been contemplating for a while purchasing a Vacheron Constantin Malte Regulator in the Tonneau shape pictured below, but haven't decided which model to get. This would strictly be for investment as it's a very high-ticket item. As you can see above, I have more than enough for everyday wear and use and really don't need anymore. Haven't told my wife yet and she's probably going to kill me when I buy it, but if I encourage her to go ahead and buy another piece of art which is her area or another piece of jewelry, I should be safe! :smiley:

Your post suggests that you might be partial to the rectangular, square, or tonneau shape case. Do you have a preference in case shape? I happen to like them also, but my wrists are not that big, so many of these shaped timepieces tend to overwhelm my arm. In any case here you can see what I am planning to get.

I have narrowed it down to five models:

30080_000r_9358_1_crop_w430_h430_217x318.jpg
30080_000p_9357_1_crop_w430_h430_217x318.jpg
47400_000r_9417_1_crop_w430_h430_217x318.jpg
30682_000g_9477_1_crop_w430_h430_217x318.jpg
30669_000p_8953_1_crop_w430_h430_217x318.jpg

Mr. Prince

Apr 15, 2019
Thank you Ken for the more than kind glowing remarks. As for prospective watch purchases, I have had my eye on and have been contemplating for a while purchasing a Vacheron Constantin Malte Regulator in the Tonneau shape pictured below, but haven't decided which model to get. This would strictly be for investment as it's a very high-ticket item. As you can see above, I have more than enough for everyday wear and use and really don't need anymore. Haven't told my wife yet and she's probably going to kill me when I buy it, but if I encourage her to go ahead and buy another piece of art which is her area or another piece of jewelry, I should be safe! :smiley:

Your post suggests that you might be partial to the rectangular, square, or tonneau shape case. Do you have a preference in case shape? I happen to like them also, but my wrists are not that big, so many of these shaped timepieces tend to overwhelm my arm. In any case here you can see what I am planning to get.

Any of those would be a magnificent choice. I prefer the one on the brown strap. When, if ever, do you wear your investment-grade pieces?

hednic

Oct 25, 2007
Any of those would be a magnificent choice. I prefer the one on the brown strap. When, if ever, do you wear your investment-grade pieces?
In the past, on a very rare special social outing with my wife or important high-level business meeting. Now I don't.

FiveoaksBouquet

Scented.
Basenotes Plus
Jul 16, 2004
Hednic, if it’s for investment it seems the best choice would be the one you calculate might gain the most value in future. Have you determined that? For wearing purposes my personal choice is the second one—not that my preference is a factor. :D I love the way the Roman numerals stand out.

Ken_Russell

Jan 21, 2006

Thank you very much for the reply along with the great visuals attached/posted.

While the brand of Vacheron Constantin needs almost no further comment nor presentation and already being a tonneau and or tank fan as well, would personally and subjectively - if either having this choice and/or asked for an opinion- go for either model 1,2 or 5 in the order of their depiction in the photo posted.

Due to personally perceiving, at the risk of being subjective and thus inaccurate, the first two as the best at reaching a balance between timeless elegance, investment tier value and luxuriousness while all these three and more outstandingly. Along with the diamonds skillfully placed and highlighted on the fifth, all do also have the added benefit of a tourbillion. Both as a sign of horological mastery while also in perfect balance with this watch model and its remaining features.

Being quite certain that all five are great not just in terms of outer aspect but also retaining and increasing not just value but also the sheer joy of owning and wearing these over time.

At any rate, wishing you the best with any upcoming choice, knowing it will be a rewarding one irrespective of any among these five and a great now addition to an already outstanding collection.

hednic

Oct 25, 2007
Hednic, if it’s for investment it seems the best choice would be the one you calculate might gain the most value in future. Have you determined that? For wearing purposes my personal choice is the second one—not that my preference is a factor. :D I love the way the Roman numerals stand out.
You're right and I need to really consider that and think carefully as it will impact generations down the line. There's a great disparity in the value. The first two are pretty much on par. The third is the least valuable, while the last two because of the diamonds have the most value with the fourth being close to 500K more valuable than the fifth and are likely to depreciate in value the least. Not a decision to make impetuously for sure!

hednic

Oct 25, 2007
Yes, practicality does definitely enter into the picture but for that purpose less so.

Last edited:

Mr. Prince

Apr 15, 2019
Hednic, take your time in making your decision and let us know which VC you finally decide upon. All of them are stunning. :)

hednic

Oct 25, 2007
Thank you very much for the reply along with the great visuals attached/posted.

While the brand of Vacheron Constantin needs almost no further comment nor presentation and already being a tonneau and or tank fan as well, would personally and subjectively - if either having this choice and/or asked for an opinion- go for either model 1,2 or 5 in the order of their depiction in the photo posted.

Due to personally perceiving, at the risk of being subjective and thus inaccurate, the first two as the best at reaching a balance between timeless elegance, investment tier value and luxuriousness while all these three and more outstandingly. Along with the diamonds skillfully placed and highlighted on the fifth, all do also have the added benefit of a tourbillion. Both as a sign of horological mastery while also in perfect balance with this watch model and its remaining features.

Being quite certain that all five are great not just in terms of outer aspect but also retaining and increasing not just value but also the sheer joy of owning and wearing these over time.

At any rate, wishing you the best with any upcoming choice, knowing it will be a rewarding one irrespective of any among these five and a great now addition to an already outstanding collection.
Thank you Ken. Narrowed it down to option #4 and #5. Will wait to see the best offer the VC manager in the NYC store makes.

Mr. Prince

Apr 15, 2019
Well, the watch is what's important! Seems like you're always finding good prices on watches, Chuck. :thumbsup: Do you prefer your watches to wear a bit large? That is probably the biggest watch I would be comfortable wearing.

ChuckW

Aug 21, 2001
Well, the watch is what's important! Seems like you're always finding good prices on watches, Chuck. :thumbsup: Do you prefer your watches to wear a bit large? That is probably the biggest watch I would be comfortable wearing.

Well, 40mm is my sweet spot. My wrists are only 7.5 inches around. I thought this would look like a 41mm, but it looks more like a 44mm Breitling Steelfish I once owned. That sucker was huge.

As for the deals, just like cologne, I am always looking for the next great score. I sold a lot of cologne to buy this watch!

hednic

Oct 25, 2007
I'm no expert of watches (my only possessions being a couple of colorful swatches), but these look gorgeous.

One should have imagined that perfumes weren't the only collection by our own hednic. I bet we'll discover some other collection soon (whiskeys? ties? something more obscure?)

cacio
Thank you very much. :smiley:

Mr. Prince

Apr 15, 2019
40mm, to me, seems like the perfect size that could be appropriate on either a dress or a sports watch. Although a more conservative wearer may want a smaller watch for dress. Congrats again on your find, Chuck. That's a beautiful Longines.

hednic

Oct 25, 2007
Hednic, take your time in making your decision and let us know which VC you finally decide upon. All of them are stunning. :)
Definitely taking my time. I was shown both contenders (option # 4 and # 5) in person at the Vacheron Constantin boutique yesterday. You're right - they are stunning - even more so in person. As a trained lapidary, the quality of the diamonds on both is spectacular. One on the left had to be flown in from Switzerland, and that took time, but it was worth it. I was presented with excellent offers on both and given a week to make a decision as one would have to be returned to Switzerland after that time. I will confer with family members and then make a decision. :smiley:

Last edited:

Mr. Prince

Apr 15, 2019
Definitely taking my time. I was shown both contenders (option # 4 and # 5) in person at the Vacheron Constantin boutique yesterday. You're right - they are stunning - even more so in person. As a trained lapidary, the quality of the diamonds on both is spectacular. One on the left had to be flown in from Switzerland, and that took time, but it was worth it. I was presented with excellent offers on both and given a week to make a decision as one would have to be returned to Switzerland after that time. I will confer with family members and then make a decision. :smiley:

Very exciting. :)

Latest News