Muguet Molecules Graphic

parker25mv

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 12, 2016
I know small differences can make a big difference in smell, but it's still surprising that lilial and cyclamen aldehyde smell so different. Cyclamen aldehyde has a cool refreshing watery smell, and it doesn't have the 'spicy' hot heavy aldehyde smell in lilial and also in some other aldehydes like cinnamaldehyde, and even citral. Cyclamen aldehyde smells like fresh dewy leaves, and like the fresh green part of honeydew melon.
Yes, those two molecules are identical, except for lilial having an extra methyl group on its tail. So it is surprising... although in some ways also not very surprising. Those tert-butyl groups, with a carbon atom completely surrounded by methyl groups, tend to have a very different smell than isopropyl groups (think the smell of p-cymene, for example).

It is also believed those tert-butyl groups can create some toxicity issues and not be the best for the environment because it is difficult for organisms to break them down. (Something that was specifically referenced in the same article to which I earlier referred to)

D

Deleted member 26328009

Have just received a new muguet material. (Only subjective impressions of the undiluted materials on scent strip)

Lilybelle (Symrise)
Impressive strong and diffusive material, a tiny drop on the scent strip easily perfumes a room for hours in an almost intoxicating way. In this regard, Lilybelle's impact/diffusiveness is for me comparable to Bourgeonal or Dupical. The scent is to my nose more about lily (Lilium) than lily of the valley (Convallaria majalis). A green, somehow watery lily with only little anisic-ozonic notes. Finally, some lily of the valley and a whisper of aldehydic freesia complete the scent. Overall impression is albeit strong surprisingly ... natural (compared to other high-impact muguet materials).

Cyclemax (IFF) / Cuminyl Acetaldehyde
This material has already been mentioned before in this thread, but it's not shown in the muguet graphic. Maybe for a reason. After smelling Cyclemax (or cuminyl acetaldehyde) I was a bit puzzled, because this scent reminded me of another material I didn't expected: Helional. Well, to be more accurate: a mix of Helional, cyclamen aldehyde and some Floralozone. Cyclamen, melons and some anisic-ozonic notes are to my nose the main players in Cyclemax. It's more diffusive and powerful than Helional, I think. - I wouldn't classify C. as a muguet material. It's a sweet-fruity cyclamen with maybe some hints of linden blossom (Tilia) and lily of the valley.

emrego

Aug 4, 2016
Have you blended with the bourgeonal? It's power is not at all apparent, IME, just smelling it on its own & only manifests vividly in blends.
Bourgeonal is quite powerful IME in pure form or within blends! I use 5% and 10% dilution and and even then it can take over and mute a blend easily if overdosed. It does smell great though, and feels like it has more weight than other common LoTV ingredients. Below was a good test drive to compare its effect on the base, amounts in drops each drop being approx. 0.02gr

Ambroxan 10% -- 2
Cashmeran 10% -- 3
Bourgeonal 10% -- 1
Benzyl Salicylate -- 4

vs

Ambroxan 10% -- 2
Cashmeran 10% -- 3
Benzyl Salicylate -- 5

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...