Mugler Cologne - does anyone know the name/brand of the soap that inspired Thierry Mugler for this?

Aromaphile

Aug 10, 2013
I absolutely love this freshie: the neroli and petitgrain are just simply deliciously refreshing.

But, I have no idea of the soap that supposedly inspired it.

I've read apocryphal tales that he found a soap whilst in Morocco and brought it back to France for his perfume team to recreate. Other story is that it was a soap from his childhood.

Does anyone know the brand of soap that this refers to?

I'm curious to see how the soap compares.

Foamywax

May 2, 2013
I think it was from a hotel in london..maybe a trip to morocco or something?
Funny you mention this because I stayed in a really nice hotel on the island of paris. In all the bathrooms mini mugler soaps and body wash were used. So I'm sure there is some connection. I took about ten of the soaps but used them all. Way back in 2001 I bought cologne on the day it was released and I bought the large soap too.

Shaheen

Aug 15, 2008
When I was about 5 years old (~1985), I remember Mom buying me assorted He-Man bath accessories. Talking toothbrush holder, toothbrush, soap, etc. Well, the soap were these little green bars that smelled exactly like Mugler Cologne. They were even the same shade of green and everything. I've actually posted about this a few times over the years on here. When I first smelled Mugler Cologne at Macy's 12+ years ago, I was immediately reminded of bath time circa 1985. Mind you, that wasn't something I had thought about for over 20 years at that point. After I bought MC I let Mom smell it and she too was reminded of the little bars of He-Man soap.

Whatever formula the He-Man soap used back then must be extremely similar to the soap in question.

EDIT: Found a picture!

vintage-masters-universe-man-floating_1_e55c37d3c2076fe1d1f076815233d553.jpg

Last edited:

Jay-Lux'eau

Jan 20, 2019
I absolutely love this freshie: the neroli and petitgrain are just simply deliciously refreshing.

But, I have no idea of the soap that supposedly inspired it.

I've read apocryphal tales that he found a soap whilst in Morocco and brought it back to France for his perfume team to recreate. Other story is that it was a soap from his childhood.

Does anyone know the brand of soap that this refers to?

I'm curious to see how the soap compares.

I see you didn't read the reviews.

It's the green Marseille soap that this smells like (you can google: 'savon de Marseille vert')

Oviatt

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 30, 2007
I vote for Provendi:
Provendi .jpg
Developed in 1950 by Marguerite and Arnold, the Provendi rotating soap has maintained its authenticity.

It is still manufactured in France and remains practical and economical. Its smooth foam leaves a delicate fragrance from your childhood on your skin.

Foamywax

May 2, 2013
To be honest I have a full bottle and I hardly wear it.
I've lost interest in my mugler fragrances and I don't know why. Used to be my favorite house until I discovered guerlain. I'll probably come around to loving mugler again.
At the moment I only like A*men..

Andy the frenchy

Sep 16, 2018
I vote for Provendi:
View attachment 138507
Developed in 1950 by Marguerite and Arnold, the Provendi rotating soap has maintained its authenticity.

It is still manufactured in France and remains practical and economical. Its smooth foam leaves a delicate fragrance from your childhood on your skin.

This is the soap every child from the 70's to the 90's experienced in the bathrooms of public elementary schools in France. No similarities with Mugler Cologne.

cacio

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Nov 5, 2010
Interesting, didn't know about the stated soap connection. But then citrus notes plus white musk has been the stuff of soap for a long time.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Semi-Retirement
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
To be honest I have a full bottle and I hardly wear it.
I've lost interest in my mugler fragrances and I don't know why. Used to be my favorite house until I discovered guerlain. I'll probably come around to loving mugler again.
At the moment I only like A*men..

AMEN is the only one that I'm inclined to wanting to reach for.

VanillaCloud

Jul 30, 2003
ivory.jpg

Jay-Lux'eau

Jan 20, 2019
I have green Savon de Marseille that I sometimes use in the shower. Doesn't smell at all like Mugler Cologne. Such soap is purely Olive Oil based, no neroli or petitgrain whatsoever.

OK, after taking this into consideration you must then have a real, trademarked and all, green Marseille soap. And I am wrong in saying Mugler Cologne smells like green Marseille soap. Because bar soap that has been perfumed additionally is apparently not allowed be named/engraved/labelled with the name "Marseille".

Over here we use "Marseille soap" as a shortcut name though, even if that's technically wrong which I'll explain in a bit. We don't even mention the color green.

A lot of brands have their own version of the green Marseille soap. Le Chat, The Body Shop, Yves Rocher and so on. And oddly enough, they all smell more or less similar. These do have a specific scent and seem to be perfumed quite similarly in spite of the brand name differing.

To name a culprit I think it's actually this particular brand in and by itself that has caused the original Marseille soap to sort of become forgotten:
https://www.carrefour.fr/p/savon-extra-pur-72-a-l-huile-d-olive-le-petit-marseillais-3251241041667

And that's actually what Mugler Cologne smells like the most: the olive oil bar soap from the company "Le Petit Marseillais" who cleverly circumvented the trademark issue allowing them to sell their scented counterparts whilst appearing to also be an original Marseille soap .

Andy the frenchy

Sep 16, 2018
OK, after taking this into consideration you must then have a real, trademarked and all, green Marseille soap. And I am wrong in saying Mugler Cologne smells like green Marseille soap. Because bar soap that has been perfumed additionally is apparently not allowed be named/engraved/labelled with the name "Marseille".

Over here we use "Marseille soap" as a shortcut name though, even if that's technically wrong which I'll explain in a bit. We don't even mention the color green.

A lot of brands have their own version of the green Marseille soap. Le Chat, The Body Shop, Yves Rocher and so on. And oddly enough, they all smell more or less similar. These do have a specific scent and seem to be perfumed quite similarly in spite of the brand name differing.

To name a culprit I think it's actually this particular brand in and by itself that has caused the original Marseille soap to sort of become forgotten:
https://www.carrefour.fr/p/savon-extra-pur-72-a-l-huile-d-olive-le-petit-marseillais-3251241041667

And that's actually what Mugler Cologne smells like the most: the olive oil bar soap from the company "Le Petit Marseillais" who cleverly circumvented the trademark issue allowing them to sell their scented counterparts whilst appearing to also be an original Marseille soap .

Yes indeed, I have a couple of soaps from the traditional "savonneries" (soap factories) of Marseille.
As you stated a lot of brands unaccurately use the wording "Savon de Marseille" or play with the name (ie Le Petit Marseillais). Can't remember its smell, but it might indeed be it.

Foamywax

May 2, 2013
This is the soap every child from the 70's to the 90's experienced in the bathrooms of public elementary schools in France. No similarities with Mugler Cologne.

This soap is really nothing special..
The mugler soap is much nicer.
The best soap I ever bought was Hermes orange verte now that was a fantastic soap.
I've heard the eau sauvage soap is really nice too.

Latest News