Motivations for Writing Fragrance Reviews on Basenotes

rum

Basenotes Plus
Mar 17, 2011
I understand that Basenotes is a bit smaller than Fragrantica, but some fragrances have hundreds of reviews on Fragrantica compared to 4-5 on Basenotes.
It's a matter of quality over quantity in my opinion.
Most fragrantica "reviews" are juvenile one-liners like "this smell's like my grandma's handbag" and "this stuff is trash and is gone in 50 seconds". Honestly, I can't for the life of me see how that site can be taken seriously at times.

baklavaRuzh

Sep 3, 2022
Most fragrantica "reviews" are juvenile one-liners like "this smell's like my grandma's handbag" and "this stuff is trash and is gone in 50 seconds". Honestly, I can't for the life of me see how that site can be taken seriously at times.
I find the aggregated number of reviews, one liners and others included, more useful as a whole than the reviews here. There are many other reasons not to use fragrantica, but the sheer number of reviews has some value in my experience when considering a fragrance. There are more points of view, more comparisons to other fragrances and that makes it better to navigate for references. I think Basenotes would benefit from having more reviews, even if some of them are 'smells like plastic in the opening, similar to x, Yuck!' If that's 1 /10 or 1/ 15 reviews.

Starblind

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Oct 2, 2013
I love reading BN reviews and when the spirit moves me, I add my two cents.

Reviews are often how I learn about specific note combinations and the tastes and impressions of others. It's a wonderful learning tool for me. Plus, I get to see just how different or similar my own responses/evaluations are.

PStoller

I’m not old, I’m vintage.
Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
I find the aggregated number of reviews, one liners and others included, more useful as a whole than the reviews here. There are many other reasons not to use fragrantica, but the sheer number of reviews has some value in my experience when considering a fragrance. There are more points of view, more comparisons to other fragrances and that makes it better to navigate for references. I think Basenotes would benefit from having more reviews, even if some of them are 'smells like plastic in the opening, similar to x, Yuck!' If that's 1 /10 or 1/ 15 reviews.

Of course, this matter is resolved by being a member here and visiting Fragrantica to read additional reviews.

Emanuel76

Basenotes Dependent
Jun 16, 2018
I'll do my part when the time will come.
I'm not ready yet.

What/who encouraged you to write reviews? Was it a specific fragrance that kicked it off?
For now only "reviews" here and there on the forum, not reviews in the dedicated area. 😋

1. It forces me to delve a little deeper into smelling perfumes, to work, to research, to ask myself questions, to compare.
2. It helps me remember why I liked/didn't liked a perfume.

Varanis Ridari

The Scented Devil
Basenotes Plus
Oct 17, 2012
Amen, and all the cheap-shots taken at other reviewers via "clapback" reviews about "the guy below me is a moron" without adding any substance to the discussion of the fragrance, is very annoying to sift through.
Aggregate data is really only useful if you're looking to build an average of opinions, which I guess is useful if you're only shopping for mass-appeal fragrances where you'd care about the overall average of how the fragance is perceived by the public, or maybe if you're the brand selling the scent in question, you may want to know before you decide to discontinue or keep promoting it.

But some people more into fragrances as a hobby or artistic sensory indulgence, they want more detailed breakdowns or personal impressions of a fragrance, and perhaps some background information too, plus context. You can't get that from 1,000 Yelp-style "this sucks" review stacks below each Fragrantica entry; and if you try writing something like a full review on Fragrantica, the anti-intellectuals come out and down-vote your "TL;DR:" or "Wall of Text" review into oblivion, or the mods just end up deleting it because they prefer paid staffers to write article reviews you have to be a member to read.

I'm not saying your preferences are wrong for you, I'm just saying they're wrong for people wanting to know more detailed opinions from people that have a vested interest like they do, without having to scour archived articles, and without watching 5 or 6 10-minute videos on YouTube from various reviewers/influencers or something.

Basenotes is the answer for that.

Last edited:

PStoller

I’m not old, I’m vintage.
Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
There are certainly some good reviewers and columnists over at Fragrantica. Likewise, some superficial reviews here. (No, not just mine.) I don’t think it’s anything to get tribal over. I like this community, and I like this interface, so this is where I’ve put down digital roots. I just respect that ”the other site” has a different approach that yields different benefits.

baklavaRuzh

Sep 3, 2022
I'm not saying your preferences are wrong, I'm just saying they're wrong for people wanting to know more detailed opinions from people that have a vested interest like they do, without watching 5 or 6 10 minute videos on YouTube from various reviewers/influencers or something.
I dont think it's either or. I can easily find reviews on fragrantica like the ones on basenotes, there are so many. It's easy to track reviews made by one person which makes it easy to look up what that person thinks about other fragrances and see if their tastes are similar то yours or not. I wouldn't go by the average ratings either, I doubt that would be valuable for most as nobody has 'average' tastes. But it can be useful information to take into account with the more detailed reviews.

The reason why I even wrote the post above was because of the issues with fragrantica such as the ones you pointed out. I would be happier if I could avoid the site entirely, but as it is now, the lack of reviews on Basenotes makes it difficult. Many popular and widely available fragrances don't even have a single review here, which i suspect might be related to the low volume overall? So please consider it a suggestion to make the site more useful and appealing and not promo for fragrantica. :)

Last edited:

Varanis Ridari

The Scented Devil
Basenotes Plus
Oct 17, 2012
I dont think it's either or. I can easily find reviews on fragrantica like the ones on basenotes, there are so many. It's easy to track reviews made by one person which makes it easy to look up what that person thinks about other fragrances and see if their tastes are similar yours or not. I wouldn't go by the average ratings either, I doubt that would be valuable for most as nobody has 'average' tastes. But it can be useful information to take into account with the more detailed reviews.

The reason why I even wrote the post above was because of the issues with fragrantica such as the ones you pointed out. I would be happier if I could avoid the site entirely, but as it is now, the lack of reviews on Basenotes makes it difficult. Many popular and widely available fragrances don't even have a single review here, which i suspect might be related to the low volume overall? So please consider it a suggestion to make the site more useful and appealing and not promo for fragrantica. :)
I also edited my reply for some really bad typos. Whoops.

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...