Modern Mainstream/Semi Mainstream Recent Releases

Sep 8, 2016
Is there any releases in the past 5 years give or take from mainstream or semi mainstream companies that could be considered close to masterpieces?

Seems to me there’s a lot of copy and pasting going on. Some things just smell good and some bad, but nothing shouts out to me that will stand the test of time.

The only 3 off the top of my head that could be considered is Ombré Leather, Bleu De Chanel Parfum, and maybe Dior Sauvage Elixir.

Thoughts?

L'Aventurier

Basenotes Dependent
May 8, 2008
I don't know about the past 5 years, but if you stretch it a little, there are a handful of releases that have convinced me that perfumery is not quite dead yet (already we're getting real close to palliative care):

New York Intense - Nicolai - 2014
Oud & Rose - Cartier - 2014
L'Heure Perdue - Cartier - 2015
Erawan - Dusita - 2017
Eau Parfumee au The Noir - Bulgari - 2015
Le Lion - Chanel - 2020

Edit: I seem to have glossed over that you wanted mainstream fragrances. I guess the Bulgari would fit in there.

Last edited:

NettyYeti

Basenotes Junkie
Jan 28, 2016
How are you defining mainstream (e.g. does that include niche but not indie, must it be a “popular” release in terms of sales, how accessible must it be, etc.)?

Also, how do you define masterpiece? Does it mean critically acclaimed, highly influential (a la Bleu de Chanel), extremely profitable, or just something we personally love?

For instance, Beau de Jour is, off the top of my head, my favorite release from the past 5 years. Broadly speaking, though, it’s not a trend-setter and not something you’d smell on every other person you meet. On the other hand, I’m not crazy about Bleu de Chanel, but it’s influence on perfumery is obvious.

I’ll echo the sentiment of others and say that nothing in the last 5 years sticks out to me, but that begs the question: is 5 years too short of time to call something a masterpiece?

slpfrsly

Physician, heal thyself
Basenotes Plus
Apr 1, 2019
Nothing stands out. I don't think there's been much to shout about since 2020 either. Ignoring the 'masterpiece' side of things, Louis Vuitton's boutique line of fragrances are worthy of consideration as good designer fragrances. The cost for good and distinct designer fragrance has gone up dramatically in recent years though.

ultravisitor

Basenotes Dependent
Nov 4, 2014
Is there any releases in the past 5 years give or take from mainstream or semi mainstream companies that could be considered close to masterpieces?

Seems to me there’s a lot of copy and pasting going on. Some things just smell good and some bad, but nothing shouts out to me that will stand the test of time.

The only 3 off the top of my head that could be considered is Ombré Leather, Bleu De Chanel Parfum, and maybe Dior Sauvage Elixir.

Thoughts?
I think none of those qualifies as a “masterpiece.” Far from it, especially with regards to Ombré Leather.

I do really like Sauvage Elixir, though.

Foxsbiscuits

Basenotes Member
Oct 8, 2003
As much as I want to grab my pitchfork and rally against modern men's mainstream releases lacking masterpieces I'd also say that it probably takes longer than 5 years to know.

Habit Rouge took about 7 years to gain popularity, don't quote me on the exactness of this but it wasn't immediately successful. Unless early Basenoters were sniffing it on release and calling it a masterpiece...

I don't think the ones you mention are masterpieces by my definition.

Maybe masterpiece is just another subjective description... :unsure:

Latest News