Mazzolari Lui

exploretoi

Jun 9, 2012
Hello i have noticed that Mazzolari Lui is now sold as Eau de Parfum, not Eau de Toilette?
Ws there at any point a reformulation or not? If anyone has any info please let me know.
Thanks in advance!

Emanuel76

Basenotes Dependent
Jun 16, 2018
I love the ideea, but for me the EDT is too woody and the animalics are too shy - it doesn't correspond to the reviews at all ("testosteronic" and such). Probably the vintage version was different.
So, I'd love a healthy reformulation. :p

PS
145Euros, or 300$, at a ~1/1 parity?! Really?! 😄

exploretoi

Jun 9, 2012
I love the ideea, but for me the EDT is too woody and the animalics are too shy - it doesn't correspond to the reviews at all ("testosteronic" and such). Probably the vintage version was different.

145Euros, or 300$, at a parity of 1/1?! Really?! 😄
Ok thanks for Your reply!
You have the EDT version, when did You buy it?
Maybe it was reformulated in EDP in 2020-2022?

Emanuel76

Basenotes Dependent
Jun 16, 2018
Lol! :) I just found this topic:

Mazzolari - Lui
I bought a sample first, and I've fell in love, mainly because of the urinous strong civet note that was paired with this oldschoolish spicy patch scent along with musk and leather that contributes to the skanky yet sexy character. The sample I bought this month as well, so supposedly the bottle was not too old.
But with the bottle I have received I only get patch, sandalwood and some spices. Nothing complex, nothing dirty, nothing sexy. Still nice but surely nothing that I would have spend so much money on.

exploretoi

Jun 9, 2012
I assume is EDT. A sample.
Neither in the history on the site where I bought it (ausliebezumduft.de), nor on the sample label does it specify whether it is EDT or EDP.

I bought it in 27 October 2020.
I see now that on ausliebezumduft, essenza nobile, parfumaria all have the EDP version

Andy the frenchy

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 16, 2018

PS
145Euros, or 300$, at a ~1/1 parity?! Really?! 😄
I only tried the EDP. While I get a very nice spicy/woody/leathery/animalic top (reminding me vaguely of Tauer L'Oudh and Nishane Afrika Olifant), on my skin it veers quikly into on a bed of patchouli that unfortunately (for me) also exhibits a powdery/chocolatey facet that becomes way too sweet for my tastes, borderline gourmand (also because of some amberwood in the base, probably). The best comparison overall would probably be MPG Parfum d'Habit. Not a fan of either, but had I to choose, I'd go with the MPG.
Just my unrequested 2 cents.

exploretoi

Jun 9, 2012
I only tried the EDP. While I get a very nice spicy/woody/leathery/animalic top (reminding me vaguely of Tauer L'Oudh and Nishane Afrika Olifant), on my skin it veers quikly into on a bed of patchouli that unfortunately (for me) also exhibits a powdery/chocolatey facet that becomes way too sweet for my tastes, borderline gourmand (also because of some amberwood in the base, probably). The best comparison overall would probably be MPG Parfum d'Habit. Not a fan of either, but had I to choose, I'd go with the MPG.
Andy Thanks for Your reply!
Did it remind You of 80's animalic powerhouse fragrances?

Emanuel76

Basenotes Dependent
Jun 16, 2018
I only tried the EDP. While I get a very nice spicy/woody/leathery/animalic top
I get a warm and cozy chicken fluff, overwhelmed by smooth generic "sandalwood" plank (a little boring).
So, only musk (pretty tame), not civet at all.

Well, it's a public forum. No invitation needed. :)

Andy the frenchy

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 16, 2018
Andy Thanks for Your reply!
Did it remind You of 80's animalic powerhouse fragrances?
No. The animalic top has some castoreum, yes, but overall more modern styled, imo, and with a healthy does of aromachemicals.
It's the second Mazzolari I tried. While the first (Vetiver) has definitely a vintage structure and feeling, and I consider it to be a masterpiece of classicism, the second one is definitely more 'modern-smelling', and a pass for me.

exploretoi

Jun 9, 2012
No. The animalic top has some castoreum, yes, but overall more modern styled, imo, and with a healthy does of aromachemicals.
It's the second Mazzolari I tried. While the first (Vetiver) has definitely a vintage structure and feeling, and I consider it to be a masterpiece of classicism, the second one is definitely more 'modern-smelling', and a pass for me.
Ok, could You maybe say to which fragrance, in Your opionion, it is similar? Thnx

Emanuel76

Basenotes Dependent
Jun 16, 2018
Ok, could You maybe say to which fragrance, in Your opionion, it is similar? Thnx
The woody-patchouli part is similar to that of Guerlain - Heritage (the current version).

The animalic part assisted by spices - even if it sounds common (warm, fluffy (not much) and a bit sweaty) - seems pretty unique. I have never encountered this accord before in the way it's rendered here.

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...