Matching deodorants

LL Cool Spray

Aug 24, 2008
Awhile back I got a vintage Cosmair Polo gift set. I have just started wearing the deodorant a few days ago and I must say that I'm impressed.
The scent of the deo stick is much like the EDT, but more patchouli forward. I never really noticed the patchouli so much in the EDT, but it really suits the deodorant because patchouli is great for covering up bad odors.
Just wearing the deodorant is strong enough to use as an office fragrance - almost a flanker version of the EDT.
Anyone else know of some great deodorant version of an EDT?

PotassiumSnow

Jun 13, 2021
I never buy the sets that come with the deodorant or buy it separately. I try to use something very mild such as Arm&Hammer unscented anti-perspirant. I've also found that deodorants usually just end up smelling like scented BO eventually and I still sweat like crazy when using them.

LL Cool Spray

Aug 24, 2008
Those matching deodorants don't agree with me. Burns my underarms.

Yes - why do they do that? The Polo is no exception, I would normally toss it on those grounds, but the burning sensation went away quickly and the rest of the experience was pleasant.

LL Cool Spray

Aug 24, 2008
I bought Dior Fahrenheit deospray a couple of months ago and although I don’t use it very often I still like it and its scent lasts for me all day.

I might have to try that one - always loved Fahrenheit but stopped wearing it after some reformulations. With this other product, I could enjoy it on it's own merits.

d r e

Dec 24, 2018
The cK One Deodorant Stick and Spray both seem like the freshest aspect of the EdT.

I haven't worn the Stick but the Spray is pretty nice sometimes and seems to project decently

Ken_Russell

Jan 21, 2006
So far only had good to great experiences (in terms of both scent quality/performance as well as of antiperspirant efficiency) with the deodorant versions of Rebel by Oriflame, Cuir Vetiver by Yves Rocher, various Old Spice renditions including the more updated, trendier flankers of the classic

MisterK

Dec 22, 2003
I bought Dior Fahrenheit deospray a couple of months ago and although I don’t use it very often I still like it and its scent lasts for me all day.

Yeah years ago I had the Fahrenheit spray deodorant and it matched very well. Same for Eau Sauvage spray deodorant (not sure if they make that) I have the Cool Water spray deodorant and it is a good match. (I don't wear Cool Water that often mind you but I do wear Tres Nuit, or more rarely that version of Greenbriar that smells like GIT or Cool Water)
If I can I get something unscented like the Mitchum unscented, but most of the time I'm too lazy to care whether its a good match.

I recently got a bottle of the roll on Tabac Original and while it is close, it's not particularly strong or long lasting IMHO.

Anyone have any experience with a Drakkar Noir deodorant? I know they sell a body spray, and the current EDT dries down to a nice traditional fougere, I would figure that might do the trick matching up with some others that dry down like a classic fougere as well. (If its just the top notes that's a different story.)

tspencer

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 12, 2016
Awhile back I got a vintage Cosmair Polo gift set. I have just started wearing the deodorant a few days ago and I must say that I'm impressed.
The scent of the deo stick is much like the EDT, but more patchouli forward. I never really noticed the patchouli so much in the EDT, but it really suits the deodorant because patchouli is great for covering up bad odors.
Just wearing the deodorant is strong enough to use as an office fragrance - almost a flanker version of the EDT.
Anyone else know of some great deodorant version of an EDT?

Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements has a limited group of 'homage' scents (they are decent clone scents) that are called "Doppelganger". They match well with Dior Sauvage (Black Label.....which I think smells 'better' and more natural than Sauvage), Gray Label (Aventus.....not an exact clone but good enough to wear with Aventus), Gold Label (Royal Mayfair....and it's a fantastic interpretation and I have no issues wearing it), F-Bombs (Tom Ford F'ing Fabulous), Tri-Color (Irisch Moos), Et Tu (a remarkable Brut interpretation that's more natural and 'alive' IMO). Also, there are multiple "resurrected" discontinued very old-school aftershaves

Old Spice Fresh ----- Fresco
Burma Shave ----- Hotel Cecil
Hai Karate ----- Lo Hai-Ku
Black Belt ----- Black Bot
Brylcreem ----- DAB
Sun Up ------ Sun Down
Seaforth ----- Diver Down

I love many of their original creations though. The re-creations are not what I think they should be known for. They sell samples of most of these scents for $1 each for you to smell and test (be aware the samples are 'aftershave/cologne' strength, not EDP, but gives you a good sample of what these scents smell like).

Jul 7, 2012
It doesn't make sense to me to spend $100 or more on a great fragrance and also wear a $5 scented deodorant stick at the same time. That's like ordering a $100 steak and tossing a cheap hamburger patty on top. Why would anybody do that?

Go unscented with deodorant. The idea isn't to cover up body odor. The point os to kill the bacteria that get trapped in underarms so it won't break down and decay, because it's the decay that causes the stink.

I used to be a huge fan of Mitchum Unscented, but they changed their formula a few years ago, & it's not as good now. I prefer Tom's Of Maine Unscented these days.

d r e

Dec 24, 2018
It doesn't make sense to me to spend $100 or more on a great fragrance and also wear a $5 scented deodorant stick at the same time. That's like ordering a $100 steak and tossing a cheap hamburger patty on top. Why would anybody do that?

Go unscented with deodorant. The idea isn't to cover up body odor. The point os to kill the bacteria that get trapped in underarms so it won't break down and decay, because it's the decay that causes the stink.

I used to be a huge fan of Mitchum Unscented, but they changed their formula a few years ago, & it's not as good now. I prefer Tom's Of Maine Unscented these days.

I'm not sure if that's what OP is saying, but a lot of the Deodorants I smell at Target smell better than the generalization your making. Just because somethings cheaper doesn't mean they aren't using as high quality ingredients.

Half of the 'Unscented' deodorants I've smelled still have a scent to them. In comparison something like Native Eucalyptus Mint stays along the lines of practically unscented, with the added benefit of some Mint & Eucalyptus Essential Oils for a cool freshness. I wear the stuff alongside my fragrances to add a touch of seasoning to enhance the overall palatability rather than throwing a Hamburger on top or whatever

However for the most part I agree with you, I'm just trying to bring a counterpoint because I see this get brought up often and I feel it's a underutilized area in the Fragrance Community

LL Cool Spray

Aug 24, 2008
I'm not sure if that's what OP is saying, but a lot of the Deodorants I smell at Target smell better than the generalization your making. Just because somethings cheaper doesn't mean they aren't using as high quality ingredients.

Half of the 'Unscented' deodorants I've smelled still have a scent to them. In comparison something like Native Eucalyptus Mint stays along the lines of practically unscented, with the added benefit of some Mint & Eucalyptus Essential Oils for a cool freshness. I wear the stuff alongside my fragrances to add a touch of seasoning to enhance the overall palatability rather than throwing a Hamburger on top or whatever

However for the most part I agree with you, I'm just trying to bring a counterpoint because I see this get brought up often and I feel it's a underutilized area in the Fragrance Community

Exactly - wearing deodorant as a scent has it's purpose for me. A quality deodorant can make a difference.

mrcologneguy

Jan 2, 2009
I have quite a few scented deodorants. I buy stick style only, never spray or roll-on. My favorites:

Tabac Original
Calvin Klein Contradiction For Men
Calvin Klein Eternity For Men
Creed Original Santal
Guerlain Homme

These are best used either solo, or with the accompanying fragrance. Generally not the best choice if you’re going to be sweating heavily. More of a nice way to subtly add fragrance.

I first bought Tabac Original deodorant stick while traveling in England. Instant scent memory recall whenever I wear it. It’s fine stuff.

Hugh V.

Dec 9, 2016
I don't like the EDT deodorants because they don't last.

The Eternity for Men deodorant stick is nice but it doesn't hold up well or last too long.

Azzaro Pour Homme deodorant spray is the business though. Better than the actual EDT. Like higher end shaving cream with some 80s muskiness in the dry down.

Latest News