Marilyn Monroe's perfume in Don't Bother To Knock

lauermar

Jul 8, 2004
(1952) Marilyn plays a mentally disturbed young woman who baby sits a rich girl in a hotel. She tries on the rich mother's negligee, lipstick, jewelry and perfume so she can seduce a man across the hall. Also stars Richard Windmark as the boyfriend and Ann Bancroft as a hotel singer on the outs with him.

On the vanity table, I spy a box of Coty Airspun Powder and a Coty lipstick. Now what's that perfume? It almost looks like a Guerlain.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/33/73/1f/33731f936128d741d6091d2e4043eb04.jpg

Last edited:

cacio

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Nov 5, 2010
Interesting link. Not sure it's a guerlain.It does have a cap that looks like a fan. But it seems to have a silhouette on the label?

Good to remember as well that the Coty airspun powder is still around at CVS or Walmart (in a plastic case) and getting good feedback on youtube. Except unfortunately for the excellent smell-which has most modern youtubers curl their nose.

cacio

Primrose

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 22, 2009
The only bottle I know off the top of my head is Lalique, but that is a modern bottle. Lalique may have had one from the 1950s.

Good post!

lauermar

Jul 8, 2004
November 6, 2022 update: I watched the movie more closely today. Marilyn was holding the bottle in her hand and told her uncle it was called Liaison. Was there ever such a perfume or is this made up? I found a discontinued one by that name launched by Ellen Betrix in 1994, but nothing before 1952, the year of the movie. I'm guessing the writer chose that name after the character's tryst with the hotel guest.

Last edited:

PStoller

I’m not old, I’m vintage.
Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
89A20BD3-6115-467E-93CE-49E356D410EE.jpeg

9930A013-7212-4A80-B836-69870DF2BAD5.jpeg

This is as good as I’ve been able to get from a publicity still. I wouldn’t rule out the possibility that it’s a fake label applied to a generic bottle for the film. I think it actually says “Liaison” in large letters across the bottom.

PStoller

Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
It's hard to tell but the topper looks like it's 'in the style of' lalique at least.

That’s the basic fan shape, which was common at the time. But Lalique’s stoppers and bottles were more elaborate. That one looks more like this, quality wise:

E9D1089D-B13E-4F09-939A-0F1475C285CE.jpeg

You can pick one of these up for about $25.

The studio props dept. might’ve taken a stopper like this and mated it to a square bottle for the sake of the label.

baklavaRuzh

Sep 3, 2022
That’s the basic fan shape, which was common at the time. But Lalique’s stoppers and bottles were more elaborate. That one looks more like this, quality wise:

View attachment 310743

You can pick one of these up for about $25.

The studio props dept. might’ve taken a stopper like this and mated it to a square bottle for the sake of the label.
I looks to me like there's a female face or soemthinh in matte glass at the center with something flaring out in the background, but I may just be seeing things! 😅

PStoller

Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
A most intriguing thread! Someone needs to do an HD, frame by frame restoration of this movie a la Vertigo, so we can finally know what it is.

Getty Images has a high-res pic with the bottle in it, but I just can't spring $500 to get it. (I could get an original still for less.) And, really, I doubt it would help.

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...