Magnolia Eo seems off????

Greenslug

Feb 27, 2021
Hello, I just purchased some magnolia eo from perfumers apprentice. I only played around with magnolia accords so not too familiar with an actual magnolia eo but was curious about it. I want to know if my product is bad. It smells a bit like bisabolene with a slight petigrain dry down. Is that right or is it supposed to smell more like a floral?

Hazel_

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 8, 2021
Do you mean the Magnolia Heart (Natural) from Robertet that PA is selling, or another one? I don't have that one, and I'm not sure that the Robertet is an eo exactly. I think the same stuff is listed on Hermitage Oils as a fractionation.

If it's not that, and really an eo, I have many magnolia oils so I'm used to their odor. They tend to smell very sweet — I always detect an unpleasant "fruit rot" quality in them at full strength — and there is a petitgrain/lemon quality too, but it's very faint at full strength to me. (Not like the flowers in real life, where the citrus notes are more apparent.)

You could get some small, inexpensive magnolia samples to compare? Magnolia Alba eo is widely available. Liberty Naturals sells it (though they have a $50 order minimum).

Greenslug

Feb 27, 2021
Yep that’s the one. I just read that it’s extracted from the leaves. Maybe that’s why. It’s smells very green and woody.

Citroasis

Jul 24, 2021
I have the one from Liberty Naturals, and it's potent and strong as heck! Semi-Sweet...and your right, it has a bit of fruit rot vibe, but I love it.

Jiangqi Su

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 2, 2020
I don't like magnolia heart, though I love many other products from robertet. It is too sharp and not a good reference for you to recreate the magnolia or "white champaca". If you just wanna buy a reference, etsy's seller violetglassforever sells really good magnolia leaf eo and white champaca eo.

Jiangqi Su

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 2, 2020
It can be extracted from both. I also mentioned magnolia leaf eo from this supplier because it is really close to the flower extract.

Latest News