LV / Do You Enjoy Receiving Fragrances As Gifts?

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
This thread has two questions within it - you can answer either (or both); or neither, if you find my posts irritating.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a Louis Vuitton fragrance? I collect the bags, but have zero familiarity or interest in their scents. A friend has strongly hinted that she’d love one for her birthday (mid October) - for reference, she is currently wearing Miss Dior Blooming Bouquet.

Do you enjoy receiving fragrances as gifts? I honestly don’t, unless it’s a scent that I specifically like or want. I feel awful and ungrateful saying so, but don’t want anybody to waste their money and time on something that may possibly not work out on my skin or be pleasant to my nose.

Thank you in advance!

FiveoaksBouquet

Known to SAs
Basenotes Plus
Jul 16, 2004
Sorry, I’m not knowledgeable about the Vuitton scents. Maybe go together and let your friend pick it out? Could be a fun birthday outing.

I have received some perfumes that were not for me. The gesture was appreciated but it’s a hard gift to give successfulky without research. Very few people know what I am wanting in a fragrance at a given time. From those who do, I am very happy to receive those presents on appropriate occasions.

CharonLRdraws

Ledi Perehodov Arts
Basenotes Plus
Jun 19, 2022
Oh god the amount of ones my relatives have given me over the years mostly from Avon, here we go...

Perceive

Latin Sensation

Maimi Party

Odyssey

Aromadisiac

Timeless

Tommy Girl Sun Kissed (Just didn't do it for me I tested it on my skin too sweet just no so I pretended to act like I liked it)

Oh and my aunt seems to think I like Charlie Blue I do not and yet she's given me three bottles of it.

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
Oh god the amount of ones my relatives have given me over the years mostly from Avon, here we go...

Perceive

Latin Sensation

Maimi Party

Odyssey

Aromadisiac

Timeless

Tommy Girl Sun Kissed (Just didn't do it for me I tested it on my skin too sweet just no so I pretended to act like I liked it)

Oh and my aunt seems to think I like Charlie Blue I do not and yet she's given me three bottles of it.
Oh, no! So many bottles 😭

RedRaider430

You smell good! 😄
Basenotes Plus
Dec 18, 2011
You have a friend that is "strongly hinting" that she would like an expensive Louis Vuitton fragrance for her birthday? Wow.....I guess you must be very good friends, huh? 🙂

One of my favorites from LV is Afternoon Swim. It's one of the most beautiful smelling citrus fragrances I've smelled, and it's definitely unisex. Summer is gone, but I wear this one year 'round.

And I'm with you, I would really rather not receive a fragrance gift from others, especially an expensive one, as I'm quite selective about them.

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
You have a friend that is "strongly hinting" that she would like an expensive Louis Vuitton fragrance for her birthday? Wow.....I guess you must be very good friends, huh? 🙂

One of my favorites from LV is Afternoon Swim. It's one of the most beautiful smelling citrus fragrances I've smelled, and it's definitely unisex. Summer is gone, but I wear this one year 'round.

And I'm with you, I would really rather not receive a fragrance gift from others, especially an expensive one, as I'm quite selective about them.
We definitely are! 🙂

She’s not hinting at it for me specifically to gift it to her - she’s far too classy and kind to do that - but rather in general, I guess I should say.

She’s been talking about it a lot, and looking into the line for a while, but she has a hard time justifying making any luxury purchases for herself, even though she could afford to do so. Her husband gifted her the Dior this past Valentine’s Day, and she fell in love with wearing perfume again. I think it would be nice to surprise her.

Afternoon Swim sounds lovely, thank you! When I was looking into reviews and such, this one and California Dreams (I think it was?) came up a lot.

grayspoole

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 4, 2014
1. No insights to share re: LV fragrances, sorry.

2. I always appreciate the intention, but my tastes are so Individual that it is difficult for anyone to know what I want. Several years ago, my dear eldest daughter (who is perfume-averse) surprised with me a bottle of Fresh Life, an excellent grapefruit scent that I now enjoy very much in the summer. So one never knows...

Pippin06

always learning--often laughing
Feb 8, 2017
This thread has two questions within it - you can answer either (or both); or neither, if you find my posts irritating.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a Louis Vuitton fragrance? I collect the bags, but have zero familiarity or interest in their scents. A friend has strongly hinted that she’d love one for her birthday (mid October) - for reference, she is currently wearing Miss Dior Blooming Bouquet.

Do you enjoy receiving fragrances as gifts? I honestly don’t, unless it’s a scent that I specifically like or want. I feel awful and ungrateful saying so, but don’t want anybody to waste their money and time on something that may possibly not work out on my skin or be pleasant to my nose.

Thank you in advance!
First, I don't find your posts irritating at all. In fact, I enjoy them, and am happy you are a member of our community.

Yes, I do enjoy receiving fragrances as gifts. Three very special and loved fragrances of mine--Chanel Pour Monsieur edp;
Acqua di Parma Colonia Arancia di Capri; and Issey Miyake pour homme L'eau D'Issey were all complete surprises from my wife. I'd never smelled them before, but treasure them not only for their beautiful scents--but for the love behind them.

I also am a fan of blind buying, making receiving perfumes as gifts a lot of fun! :)

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
1. No insights to share re: LV fragrances, sorry.

2. I always appreciate the intention, but my tastes are so Individual that it is difficult for anyone to know what I want. Several years ago, my dear eldest daughter (who is perfume-averse) surprised with me a bottle of Fresh Life, an excellent grapefruit scent that I now enjoy very much in the summer. So one never knows...
That sounds lovely 😊

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
First, I don't find your posts irritating at all. In fact, I enjoy them, and am happy you are a member of our community.

Yes, I do enjoy receiving fragrances as gifts. Three very special and loved fragrances of mine--Chanel Pour Monsieur edp;
Acqua di Parma Colonia Arancia di Capri; and Issey Miyake pour homme L'eau D'Issey were all complete surprises from my wife. I'd never smelled them before, but treasure them not only for their beautiful scents--but for the love behind them.

I also am a fan of blind buying, making receiving perfumes as gifts a lot of fun! :)
Thank you so much for the kind words - That’s so nice of you to say! I’m really enjoying the community, and want to do my best not to annoy or offend anyone.

That’s so beautiful that those three favorite scents were all loving surprises from your wife! Not only does she know you well, but I adore the love that’s behind it all.

cheapimitation

Basenotes Dependent
May 15, 2015
I do enjoy the gift of perfume but only if they were clever enough to know which ones I want, when it comes to Christmas gifts I will just ask specifically for what I want.

As for LV, they all smell good and are rather crowd pleasing. The dark bottles could be challenging if you don't like oud. There are no real stinkers in the bunch, but many of them (most of them??) smell fairly mundane or generic for the price IMO.

Taking your friend to try them with you is a great idea but if you're not able to do that, LV is pretty generous with samples at least in the boutiques around here. If you ask nicely you could probably get a handful of samples to give to your friend and let her pick one for you to buy her. Or, take a risk and buy one and ask for samples of it and others, that way your friend can sample it first and exchange the bottle unopened if she doesn't like it. Their online store sends you a sample of what you purchase so you can try before you open it.

I'm not as familiar with the women's range, but Cavalier does rose well and Rose des Vents is nice.

My personal favorites are Afternoon Swim, California Dream, Ombre Nomade, Les Sables Roses and Sur la Route.

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
I do enjoy the gift of perfume but only if they were clever enough to know which ones I want, when it comes to Christmas gifts I will just ask specifically for what I want.

As for LV, they all smell good and are rather crowd pleasing. The dark bottles could be challenging if you don't like oud. There are no real stinkers in the bunch, but many of them (most of them??) smell fairly mundane or generic for the price IMO.

Taking your friend to try them with you is a great idea but if you're not able to do that, LV is pretty generous with samples at least in the boutiques around here. If you ask nicely you could probably get a handful of samples to give to your friend and let her pick one for you to buy her. Or, take a risk and buy one and ask for samples of it and others, that way your friend can sample it first and exchange the bottle unopened if she doesn't like it. Their online store sends you a sample of what you purchase so you can try before you open it.

I'm not as familiar with the women's range, but Cavalier does rose well and Rose des Vents is nice.

My personal favorites are Afternoon Swim, California Dream, Ombre Nomade, Les Sables Roses and Sur la Route.
Thank you so much for all of your input!

If we are unable to agree on a date for an outing in time for her special day (she has quite a busy schedule), that’s such a fantastic alternative that you’ve suggested - thank you!

Agreed, as dark and lovely as it sounds, she doesn’t strike me as much of an oud person (but who knows?). Citrus is always a crowd pleaser, so she may gravitate towards that - and Les Sables Roses sounds very obviously floral, which I know she likes. I’m going to look all of these up on BN right now.

showpony

Basenotes Member
Feb 6, 2022
I really enjoy LV fragrances. I have Afternoon Swim and Mille Feux. Both are delightful. My daughter just bought l’Immensite, it’s very citrusy and fresh. I agree with those who have suggested that you take your friend shopping for the perfect scent. Sniff everything, they can pick a favourite and have the bottle engraved with their initials. You can grab some samples for yourself!

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
I really enjoy LV fragrances. I have Afternoon Swim and Mille Feux. Both are delightful. My daughter just bought l’Immensite, it’s very citrusy and fresh. I agree with those who have suggested that you take your friend shopping for the perfect scent. Sniff everything, they can pick a favourite and have the bottle engraved with their initials. You can grab some samples for yourself!
Afternoon Swim seems to be a favorite! I’ll be sure to search up the others as well.

The bottle engraving sounds like such a special touch - I will absolutely have to do this.

Thank you!

cazaubon

Basenotes Plus
Jan 1, 2005
I like Mille Feux and Matière Noire. If you end up buying something she hasn’t smelled first, get her a sample so she can try it before opening and return it if it doesn’t suit her.

RedRaider430

You smell good! 😄
Basenotes Plus
Dec 18, 2011
Afternoon Swim seems to be a favorite! I’ll be sure to search up the others as well.
Afternoon Swim impressed me immediately upon smelling it. It was one of those fragrances that I knew I was going to buy as soon as I smelled it. I liked it so much I even opted for the big 200 ml bottle.

I've smelled many other LV fragrances, and although I've liked some of them, Afternoon Swim is the only one I've purchased a full bottle of. The only other real favorite of mine from LV is Orage. So far, I've only purchased a 10 ml decant of that one. But you might check that one out, too, since you're looking .

StylinLA

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 9, 2009
No recommendation on the LV frag front. I've tried a couple and while they were okay, not for me. The marketplace will charge whatever it can, so I'm not big on ranting "overpriced!" But I haven't bought into the LV aesthetic enough to say "okay I'll pay that much." But I own plenty of other stuff others would find not worth it.

After 13 years here of carefully reading everyone's thoughts, sampling and choosing frags, not wild about gift frags unless it's something I like. The people who know me enough to send me a frag as a gift know very well best to not surprise me. If it happened, I wouldn't be mean about it, but I fear it would be hard to act super enthused if I wasn't.

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
Afternoon Swim impressed me immediately upon smelling it. It was one of those fragrances that I knew I was going to buy as soon as I smelled it. I liked it so much I even opted for the big 200 ml bottle.

I've smelled many other LV fragrances, and although I've liked some of them, Afternoon Swim is the only one I've purchased a full bottle of. The only other real favorite of mine from LV is Orage. So far, I've only purchased a 10 ml decant of that one. But you might check that one out, too, since you're looking .
Thank you so much for this! It helps immensely.

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
No recommendation on the LV frag front. I've tried a couple and while they were okay, not for me. The marketplace will charge whatever it can, so I'm not big on ranting "overpriced!" But I haven't bought into the LV aesthetic enough to say "okay I'll pay that much." But I own plenty of other stuff others would find not worth it.

After 13 years here of carefully reading everyone's thoughts, sampling and choosing frags, not wild about gift frags unless it's something I like. The people who know me enough to send me a frag as a gift know very well best to not surprise me. If it happened, I wouldn't be mean about it, but I fear it would be hard to act super enthused if I wasn't.
I am 110% not a fan of surprises myself - so I can definitely relate to this sentiment.

donna255

Basenotes Institution
Jul 16, 2004
No help with LV.

As a child I was given I think Avon. As a teenager onwards no never as I have always made it clear. Money and wine are the only gifts I accept. Use the money to buy what I like and want. A £6 bottle of wine, I am a happy bunny.

CharonLRdraws

Ledi Perehodov Arts
Basenotes Plus
Jun 19, 2022
I think I’m the only person on BN that has never experienced Avon!
My nan buys from them a lot that's the only reason why I know about them is because yeah they wind up with so many fragrances as christmas presents.

More of a curse as very few I actually like only five really that's about it.

Last edited:

Rock72

Apr 30, 2019
We definitely are! 🙂

She’s not hinting at it for me specifically to gift it to her - she’s far too classy and kind to do that - but rather in general, I guess I should say.

She’s been talking about it a lot, and looking into the line for a while, but she has a hard time justifying making any luxury purchases for herself, even though she could afford to do so. Her husband gifted her the Dior this past Valentine’s Day, and she fell in love with wearing perfume again. I think it would be nice to surprise her.

Afternoon Swim sounds lovely, thank you! When I was looking into reviews and such, this one and California Dreams (I think it was?) came up a lot.
I have both Afternoon Swim and California Dream, and think that California Dream is the better choice for a woman. I would also try Imagination. It is very lovely

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...