Lutens fanboy thread

Zephyr1973

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 10, 2015
Remik, that sounds absolutely perfect! I don't want to ever come across as "stinky", but as you know, I do enjoy both Ambre Dore and MFK's APLS, so I hope this will be in similar likeness. I've been reading about it for so long, and the reviews are so lush...I think I'll really enjoy it. :)

Cytherian, I have been regularly searching for interesting bottles from Lutens daily - same search - Serge Lutens and then "newly listed" - I was startled to see this listed, and the BIN price was so crazy-low! I was not taking any chances! The Miel de Bois bottle I was watching (50 ml rectangle bottle) went for way more than I expected, plus had a high shipping fee. There is a bottle of Sarrasins that has tempted me, but something makes me leery, though I can't put my finger on it.

Dane

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 9, 2002
Just grabbed a bottle of MKK on ebay - total blind buy - but I love animalics, and I hear this is a really nice one :)

Still trying to figure out if I out to sell off some bottles to afford a bottle of Sarrasins and/or De Profundis. I have sampled and enjoyed both of these, and enjoy them for very different reasons. I really cannot afford both...any thoughts?

If you love animalics, Sarrasins is the way to go.

Dane

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 9, 2002
MMMMMM....nice :)

I think I will go this direction once I can gather the necessary funds. It had a nice twist on jasmine, as I recall.

It's almost a peachy-jasmine with a dark, leathery drydown. The jasmine has some skank, and the drydown has some skank.

De Profundis, on the other hand, is quite tidy. Both are beautiful, but if you want dirty, Sarrasins is your winner.

Dane

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 9, 2002
Really? I definitely find it fruity in the beginning, but as it dries down, I get a dark, dank leather. Dirty stuff.

ps - I have an older bottle, bought the first week of release, so I haven't smelled if it's changed at all over the years.

Dane

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 9, 2002
I bought last month 2 rectangular bottles of Fumerie Turquie from this webpage. Unfortunately Chene and Borneo was sold out.
http://www.metrocosmetics.co.za

Did they show up? I can't even get the site to load.

Just received both the Sarrasins from Barneys and the MKK from the ebay seller today and I am in heaven! I love them both!

MKK is seriously delicious! And Sarrasins is exactly as I recalled :)

Congrats!!!

Furriner

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 15, 2009
Was traveling through Tokyo Narita this week. There were several of the Export Line and Eaux on sale in Duty Free near the Shiseido stuff. This is something new. Pricing was at ¥10,000 for most, which, depending in the exchange rate, is cheaper than retail in the US, although more expensive than discounters. I was hoping there might be something unusual on sale, but no such luck.

broguesforsir

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 19, 2012
Nice post - cheers! Love the house too and have sampled a good few but I need to get out and sample some more. I also plan one day in the future to visit the Paris store.

I find the fragrances rich, evocative and creative. I own only two Lutens' - Chergui (which I adore) and Gris Clair (very creative, unusual and fantastic in Autumn, I find) both bought a few years ago now and still going strong.

Over the past few years I have bought for my wife A La Nuit (I really, really love this), La Fille de Berlin (exceptional), and Fleur d'Oranger (very nice, indeed).

Scent Detective

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 15, 2015
I'm wearing Fille En Aiguilles and sitting here eleven hours after applying, I'm still enjoying some nice sillage! I love this fragrance. It's just so amazing to my nose. I also just ordered a bottle of 5 O'Clock Au Gingembre. I'm looking forward to receiving it!

Dane

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 9, 2002
Congrats! It's become one of my favourites.

I hear you on the purchasing though...I have enough to last a lifetime, and sometimes I just need a break.

Just sprung and purchased a bottle of De Profundis from Barney's last night :)

I'm seriously done with collecting for a while - not just for financial reasons (though that is a very good reason!), but I simply want to just enjoy my collection for now :engel017:

Zephyr1973

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 10, 2015
So, I grabbed a few more Lutens samples, and am now testing Miel de Bois on my left wrist and Cuir Mauresque on my right - I am in LOVE with CM! HOLY MOLY! This is gorgeous! Why would anyone NOT love this!? I expected all sorts of horrors based on some reviews and warnings, but this is just stunningly beautiful! And Husband thinks so as well!

Miel de Bois is really nice, but it is sooo fleeting...and husband says it smells like berries in the dry-down...ummm...yuck.

Turbolumpy

Mar 4, 2013
882a3c3ce0d5d3a9463e96e612c0a98a_zpsrwu3cttr.jpg

FINALLY scored a vintage bottle of MKK! Been looking forever. In my top 5 for sure, such amazing juice.

cytherian

Basenotes Dependent
Nov 24, 2013
I revisited a sample i have of Santal Majuscule. I'm finding it very similar to Santal de Mysore. Anyone else here find this too? Or is my nose being fooled by the cumin/caraway note?

Dane

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 9, 2002
So, I grabbed a few more Lutens samples, and am now testing Miel de Bois on my left wrist and Cuir Mauresque on my right - I am in LOVE with CM! HOLY MOLY! This is gorgeous! Why would anyone NOT love this!? I expected all sorts of horrors based on some reviews and warnings, but this is just stunningly beautiful! And Husband thinks so as well!

Miel de Bois is really nice, but it is sooo fleeting...and husband says it smells like berries in the dry-down...ummm...yuck.

Cuir Mauresque is definitely a favourite leather around these parts. If you're planning on buying a bottle, keep your eye open for the limited edition export bottle...sometimes you can find them on ebay for much less than the bell jar.

I revisited a sample i have of Santal Majuscule. I'm finding it very similar to Santal de Mysore. Anyone else here find this too? Or is my nose being fooled by the cumin/caraway note?

All of the sandalwoods in the collection tend to have a similar vibe...I happen to find SM smells rather similar to Jeux de Peau.

Scent Detective

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 15, 2015
I only own two Serge Lutens bottles so far:

Fille en Aiguilles
5 O'clock Au Gingembre

I love them both, but Fille en Aiguilles in in my top two favorites. It is brilliant to me, as I'm a pine head. I'm intrigued by the sound of several others that I'd like to try including Fleurs de Citronnier, Chergui, Ambre Sultan and Daim Blond...and I just saw one in this thread that I've got to read up on that I'll be getting a sample of...Mandarine-mandarin.

Dane

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 9, 2002

Thanks for the link!

I'm curious how the Section d'Or fragrances are doing (financially)...none of them really stood out for me after L'Incendiaire.

If it were anyone else, I'd wonder why they were creating a gingerbread scent after having another in the line (5 O'Clock....although it's more ginger than gingerbread, but still), but this isn't uncommon with the house (multiple sandalwoods, etc.)

Looking forward to trying!

Birdboy48

Basenotes Dependent
Jul 10, 2011
One is at the normal Lutens price, and the other in the $600 range.

Interesting that they seem to be releasing the two side by side.

etoile

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 14, 2007
So... no more annual releases of bell jars then. Not good news.

The exclusive collection seams to be forgotten in favor of the Or!
Makes same sense! The Or collection is even more exclusive than the Exclusive...
:shocked:

JBHoren

I *am* smiling
Apr 25, 2007
"'Fashionably-late' to the party," I just (this past week) discovered Serge Lutens fragrances. Oh, I'd heard of them, but never tried them. Thanks to posts and conversations with a few Basenoters, my Wardrobe now contains Fils de Joie and Santal Majuscule. Will I go back and read seven years-worth of this thread's posts? Doubtful, but one thing's certain: doing so'll be a lot less "painful" than buying a bottle of Chergui or Santal de Mysore.

thrilledchilled

All Is Beautiful
Basenotes Plus
Nov 17, 2018
"'Fashionably-late' to the party," I just (this past week) discovered Serge Lutens fragrances. Oh, I'd heard of them, but never tried them. Thanks to posts and conversations with a few Basenoters, my Wardrobe now contains Fils de Joie and Santal Majuscule. Will I go back and read seven years-worth of this thread's posts? Doubtful, but one thing's certain: doing so'll be a lot less "painful" than buying a bottle of Chergui or Santal de Mysore.
They are fantastic.

Dane

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 9, 2002
Welcome to the club. RIP your wallet.

Toxicon

Basenotes Dependent
May 29, 2021
Another recent convert. I've got several of the newer scents, love 'em all. I've only sampled Fille en Aiguilles, but that's by far my favorite thus far. Just a shame it's priced insanely high these days. Participe Passe and La Couche du Diable both play in that lane (with a resinous fixation on immortelle and labdanum, respectively), but I still need the balsam fir glory of FeA.

In case anyone is looking to pick some of these up before they completely vanish from the US market, Fragrancenet has a bunch of the newer bottles going at good prices. Also good prices on travel sprays. I just ordered several travel sprays to try out some of the of the classics like Ambre Sultan, Chergui, Feminite du Bois, Fleurs d'Oranger, and others. HOPEFULLY arriving tomorrow, but we shall see.

Oct 7, 2021
My collection currently consists of Ambre Sultan (limited edition bottle) and Chypre Rouge. I have to try Sarrasins, Fille, Le Participe Passe etc. But i tried Le Couche du Diable and its fantastic.

Toxicon

Basenotes Dependent
May 29, 2021
Alas, my travel sprays have a shipping delay. I’ll report back with thoughts once I have a chance to explore them, hopefully next Tuesday or so. In the meantime, I really like the four I own and the three I’ve sampled, all bottle worthy.

- La Couche du Diable - dark, woody, spicy stew of scorched labdanum, oud, and submerged fruit. Weird but lovely.
- La Participe Passé - resinous immortelle overdose with a touch of spices & shimmery bergamot. Feels like wearing maple syrup cut with pine sap.
- La Fille de Berlin - pristine, almost minimalistic floral focused squarely on blood red rose and geranium. On the feminine side of unisex, but extremely well done. I don’t get the blood note some describe, but the geranium has a metallic edge.
- Fils de Joie - sweltering night blooming jasmine, ylang ylang, honey, and musk. It’s a heavy white floral that feels dark purple somehow. Another feminine-leaning unisex, but I love it.
- Vetiver Oriental - beautifully green but rounded take on vetiver. The earthiness is softened by a light dose of cocoa in the base, iris, sandalwood, and some of the expected subdued Lutens oriental basenotes. Easy to wear but quite interesting; my decant has become my preferred dumb reach.
- Santal Majuscule - gorgeous sandalwood and rose, with a similar easy-wearing cocoa-based oriental structure to Vetiver Oriental. Some days the rose note punches me in the face, some days it’s quiet. Strangely shapeshifting for such a seemingly simple scent. (There’s my alliteration quota for the day.)
-Fille en Aiguilles - by far my favorite of the bunch, it’s resinous pine, balsam fir, frankincense, holiday spices, and dried fruits. The only true Christmas in a bottle I’ve encountered, but gorgeous, not cloying, deep, rich, dark, textured, overwhelmingly good. The balsam fir is stunning - it smells like a fresh cut tree, vibrant and alive. This inspired my entire SL journey and I’m so glad it did!

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2021
Alas, my travel sprays have a shipping delay. I’ll report back with thoughts once I have a chance to explore them, hopefully next Tuesday or so. In the meantime, I really like the four I own and the three I’ve sampled, all bottle worthy.

- La Couche du Diable - dark, woody, spicy stew of scorched labdanum, oud, and submerged fruit. Weird but lovely.
- La Participe Passé - resinous immortelle overdose with a touch of spices & shimmery bergamot. Feels like wearing maple syrup cut with pine sap.
- La Fille de Berlin - pristine, almost minimalistic floral focused squarely on blood red rose and geranium. On the feminine side of unisex, but extremely well done. I don’t get the blood note some describe, but the geranium has a metallic edge.
- Fils de Joie - sweltering night blooming jasmine, ylang ylang, honey, and musk. It’s a heavy white floral that feels dark purple somehow. Another feminine-leaning unisex, but I love it.
- Vetiver Oriental - beautifully green but rounded take on vetiver. The earthiness is softened by a light dose of cocoa in the base, iris, sandalwood, and some of the expected subdued Lutens oriental basenotes. Easy to wear but interesting my decant has become a dumb reach.
- Santal Majuscule - gorgeous sandalwood and rose, with a similar easy-wearing cocoa-based oriental structure to Vetiver Oriental. Some days the rose note punches me in the face, some days it’s quiet. Strangely shapeshifting for such a seemingly simple scent. (There’s my alliteration quota for the day.)
-Fille en Aiguilles - by far my favorite of the bunch, it’s resinous pine, balsam fir, frankincense, holiday spices, and dried fruits. The only true Christmas in a bottle I’ve encountered, but stunning, not cloying, deep, rich, dark, textured, overwhelmingly good. The balsam fit is stunning - it smells like a fresh cut tree, vibrant and alive. This inspired my entire SL journey and I’m so glad it did!
btw, if you want another true "Christmas in a bottle" scent, i would highly recommend Elixir Des Merveilles by Hermes. But i have yet to try a few of the ones you mentioned. Vetiver Oriental is superb, thinking about replacing my Sycomore bottle with that one soon.

foxbins

Somebody made me a mod?
Basenotes Plus
Sep 5, 2013
Oh awesome, haven’t tried that one. Will certainly seek it out!
My Lutens Christmas scent is Muscs Koublai Khan. You're in a stable with the furry animals, sweaty and unwashed Wise Men (who happen to be wearing a touch of rose something), and there's a fire somewhere. I don't find it "dirty" but more textural. The musks feel fuzzy and warm. I lucked into a rectangular 50ml at Fragrancenet about seven years ago, and it's worth sampling.

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...