L'Orpheline by Serge Lutens

mikeperez23

Be Here. Now.
Basenotes Plus
Dec 31, 2006
There are several threads, from last year, where this scent was discussed but there hasn't been a thread dedicated solely to discuss the scent itself, so if you've smelled / sampled this I'd love to hear what you think about it.

My interest has been piqued because so many 'Best of 2014' lists I read online from various bloggers mentioned L'Orpheline.

Are the aldehydes very prominent?

Would you compare the incense note in it to Avignon (Series 3: Incense) by Comme des Garcons (which Luckyscent mentions in their description)?

I'm not a fan of musk but some musk notes I don't smell at all. Is the musk note in this one strong to you? Is it soapy/detergent like or animalic?

360x430_1.png

cacio

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Nov 5, 2010
I was a little underwhelmed by this - from Lutens one expects always something rich and over the top, and this is not. It's a quiet spicy woody incense. Well constructed, but I prefer the big ones. The aldehydes are not bubbly and they're not strong. One cannot really say that anything is strong. The incense is not as literal as in avignon, it's cleaner, not quite the metallic thing of the eaux, but not true frankincense either. The musk is clean but not soapy.

Overall, it feels like one of the quiet modern minimalist things. Somebody (alfarom) talked about the Helmut Langs, not that it smells like that, but I think it will appeal to those who like said perfumes.

cacio

deadidol

Basenotes Plus
Jan 19, 2013
I was also underwhelmed by it but I suspect that, more than some, this is one that warrants dedicated exploration. I plan to revisit it soon.

hednic

Basenotes Institution
Oct 25, 2007
I thought it was nice but not earth shattering. I think SL did a better job with L'Incendiaire among their more recent releases.

alfarom

Power Where You Need It
Basenotes Plus
Mar 4, 2011
I initially found it nice but sort of forgettable but the SA had been pretty generous that day and gave me a bunch of samples. I gave it a few more full wearings and it completely won me over. Now, I still don't think it's up there with the most seminal Lutens but it's definitely a step forward from the dull grayness of his Eaus. The incense is nowhere similar to the one used in Avignon (it's smoother and in the end even sweeter) and the musk is, IMO, very close to the one found in Helmut Lang EDP. What really fascinated me after a bunch of wearings is the effortless ability of L'Orpheline to feel comforting and aloof at the same time. A real pleasure to wear.

donna255

Basenotes Institution
Jul 16, 2004
I love it. Its quiet and understated, well for uncle Serge. LOL The incense is warm and actually quite fresh, I found Avignon to be very stark and bought a different one from Series 3 Incense series.

I don't actually get the aldehyde???? Not a big fan of musk, Musc Ravage leaves me cold, actually find it quite boring.

L'Orpheline is very user friendly warm comforting

Dane

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 9, 2002
I love it too. It's nothing like Avignon, or anything from the CDG Incense series. It starts out very cool and mentholated, then veers into a Somali incense, not unlike Jubivlation XXV, but not as plush. Has a cold/warm thing going on.

I also don't get any aldehydes, and very minimal musk - definitely nothing naughty.

ZhangFan

Sep 9, 2018
Hello, may I ask if you have some more thoughts about this perfume? I am very interested in this. In China, this may be the most loved Serge Lutens. But I found that many reviews here are not positive. Thank you!

Latest News