Looking for lilac

Shycat

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Oct 18, 2005
For new members that haven't heard this story (@purplelilac.) Shortly after I joined Basenotes I also got an old typeset drawer off ebay. It came with a surprise of about 40 parfum miniatures with a note that said "I included these perfumes that were with the drawer." I about wet my pants. Chloe still sitting back in the mini tub. I don't think I've ever done more than quick sniff the stopper.

Mar 13, 2012
For new members that haven't heard this story (@purplelilac.) Shortly after I joined Basenotes I also got an old typeset drawer off ebay. It came with a surprise of about 40 parfum miniatures with a note that said "I included these perfumes that were with the drawer." I about wet my pants. Chloe still sitting back in the mini tub. I don't think I've ever done more than quick sniff the stopper.
@Shycat That is the coolest story ever! How often does someone do something that kind--plus with your love of perfume, I actually think that those miniatures were meant for you. Have you been though all 40 yet? Such a fun adventure. I bet you think about the person who left them too...

Mar 13, 2012
En Passant is in a league of its own. But do give Issey Miyake A Drop d’Issey a try. It’s a very realistic lilac with other equally interesting facets included as it isn’t a soliflore. Another is Gucci Guilty (the one in the gold bottle). Interesting lilac centered fragrance.
Also try Love Chloe. Bit tougher to find but worth it if you can buy it at a reasonable price.
I managed to find the A Drop d'issey online for a decent price, so I bought it blind. Fingers crossed. But I tend to be forgiving of anything lilac :)

Mona Visa

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 23, 2014
When I was a teenager I used to wear Crabtree & Evelyn's Lilac Toilet Water. It's a pure lilac note, it doesn't last long. Unfortunately it looks like they no longer make it, and the eBay prices for what still exists are ridiculous.

I also use a lilac perfume oil from The Body Shop. It's straight lilac and it lasts forever! A little really goes a long way. I still have most of my bottle.

Shycat

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Oct 18, 2005
@Shycat That is the coolest story ever! How often does someone do something that kind--plus with your love of perfume, I actually think that those miniatures were meant for you. Have you been though all 40 yet? Such a fun adventure. I bet you think about the person who left them too...
It was man who hit estate sales for stuff he knew about--workshop on a budget supplies. He had wrenches, toolboxes, odd replacement belts, saws, etc. I just figure it came in an auction lot and he didn't want to fool with figuring it all out.

Yes, I do think about the woman who collected these. A few were empty, but most were full. They are super adorable. I imagine she was a beloved wife with a husband who gifted the first few--those were the empty ones she'd worn for him. And children who would get together for mother's day to add to her collection. Ralph Lauren Blue and Flower by Kenzo I think of as happy Christmas presents for Grandmother.

It's nice. A little movie in my head.

Mar 13, 2012
It was man who hit estate sales for stuff he knew about--workshop on a budget supplies. He had wrenches, toolboxes, odd replacement belts, saws, etc. I just figure it came in an auction lot and he didn't want to fool with figuring it all out.

Yes, I do think about the woman who collected these. A few were empty, but most were full. They are super adorable. I imagine she was a beloved wife with a husband who gifted the first few--those were the empty ones she'd worn for him. And children who would get together for mother's day to add to her collection. Ralph Lauren Blue and Flower by Kenzo I think of as happy Christmas presents for Grandmother.

It's nice. A little movie in my head.
Exactly. I would have a similar movie in my head too!

Mar 13, 2012
My bottle of A Drop D'Issey arrived and it's a nice, easy-to-wear floral scent. I get the lilac and the almond note. I like that there is nothing aquatic about it --which sometimes happens with lilac perfumes.

Does anyone know how this one compares with the A Drop D'Issey Eau fraiche?

Latest News