Looking for an inexpensive perfume to give as a gift

Quarry

Doing the BN salute
Basenotes Plus
Aug 9, 2005
Maybe a Diptyque bargain like Philosykos or l'Ombre dans Leau from a seller. I don't know this seller, but given all the packaging, it can't be fake for a mini.

cacio

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Nov 5, 2010
The price range is a bit low-perhaps you'll be able to find something at discounters, but nothing comes to mind.
An alternative would be some sample sets from a niche brand. For instance, I was checking my favorite brand, Etat Libre d'Orange. They have a big sample set but it's $40, the $20 one is sold out.

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
What does she own already? It would be cool to give her either a different fragrance or something along the lines that she already likes, but not the exact one that she already has (unless of course it's her favourite, getting a backup of a favourite fragrance as a gift is always cool).
Does she enjoy gourmands, fresh scents, darker and louder clubbing scents, floral scents, woody and unisex scents, musky scents? It's best to go with her preferences even if she likes most scents :)

Some very nice choices you'll find at discounters (I'm kind of taking in that she loves most scents, so I'm looking at popular ones that many people like):

Lolita Lempicka Mon Premier - it's an aromatic gourmand that is surprisingly sweetly fresh and easy to wear, a bottle is very cute, too
Lolita Lempicka Lolitaland - a deep and comforting, ambery-fruity fragrance for colder months with a cute and quirky bottle
Sarah Jessica Parker Lovely - a truly lovely floral musk, very elegant and soft
Elizabeth Arden 5th Avenue Royale - a sultry night scent, a bit leathery and a bit dark, a really unique smelling scent for the price
Elizabeth Arden Green Tea - a wonderful freshie and super inexpensive citrus and green tea scent, you'll be able to grab a body cream, too (there are many flankers but original is the best)
Elizabeth Arden White Tea - a subtle musk and white tea scent, white t-shirt and blue jeans vibes
Moschino Cheap and Chic I Love Love - a light and summery orange creamsicle scent, very refreshing and happy
Lanvin Eclat d'Arpege - a super lovely and easy to wear floral scent (mostly wisteria and lilac) with hints of tea and fruit, effortlessly elegant
Jesus Del Pozo Halloween - if she likes a fresh fruity-floral aquatics that's a good one!
Escada Magnetism - if she loves fruity-sweet it's a good one
Calvin Klein Euphoria - a beautiful pomegranate-woody scent, perfect if she loves deeper, more unique scents instead of the girly floral ones and is
not afraid of more unisex vibes
Calvin Klein Reveal - a salty-sweet beachy skinscent vibes, subtle and comforting, a good one
Moschino Funny! - if she loves fun scents and would like some bubblegummy vibe; I personally don't like it but it's popular
Dolce & Gabbana L'Imperatrice - if she loves fruity-fresh and would love to smell like watermelon and kiwi, it's a classic of fruity-fresh
Nina Ricci fragrances: Nina, Bella, Luna - they're all cute and easy to wear gourmands in cute apple shaped bottles, I think they would look nice as a gift
Agent Provocateur Agent Provocateur - if she likes the slightly oldschool chypre vibes and unsweet, heavy and attention grabbing scents. A very sexy and dead serious rosy-musky-slightly spicy and boudour-ish scent for a grown up woman (NOT for young girls unless they're very into classic Hollywood vibes!)
Ariana Grande Cloud or R.E.M. - if she likes following trends as there are super popular right now! sweet gourmand-ish scents that are also very airy, strong, a bit Baccarat Rouge-like vibes
Trussardi Donna - another effortlessly elegant scent, very easy to wear and like, on the fresher side but for all seasons
L'Erbolario Meharees - if she's into the unique, the oriental, the ambery-sweet and strong. Desert-y, sandy vibes (amber, cinnamon, plum)
Roberto Cavalli EDP - mainly a vanilla scent in an intricate bottle, if she loves vanilla and cozy fragrances it's a good one
Shiseido Zen - a beautiful and chic fragrance, slightly similar to Chanel's Coco Mademoiselle in the citrusy-floral-patchouli vibes it gives, a cool looking squarish bottle
Burberry fragrances - London (classy very blended floral), Body (if she loves the "your skin but better" vibes), Burberry Her (strawberry, marshmallow and a bit of that Baccarat/Cloud vibe that's hard to describe)
DKNY Delicious - a fruity floral in a cool bottle - if she loves apples!
Bvlgari Omnia - if she loves spicy chai tea, it smells like that! but it's very quiet and not strong
Bvlgari Omnia flankers - if she likes subtle and quiet scents
Carolina Herrera Good Girl - if she likes a good clubbing scent (coffee, flowers, woods) and loves stilettos
Lancome La Nuit Tresor and La Nuit Tresor a la folie... - some more great clubbing scents, sweet, lovely, well performing and intoxicating (a la folie... has more berry vibes)
Lalique Perles - if she'd love a unique dark and peppered gothic rose among green woods. Unsweet, strong, dark.
Lalique Amethyst - if she'd love a purple-smelling soft berry scent. Blackberries and musk, lovely, comforting, introspective.
Lalique Le Parfum - a gorgeous dark vanilla and bay leaf. Very unique, a bit mature vanilla scent. Bay leaf makes it kinda quirky and maybe not for everyone.
Guerlain La Petite Robe Noire (and flankers) - beautiful classy and very well made cherry gourmands with some rose, some tea, some vanilla. Happy and chic fragrances
Kenzo Amour - a sweet, ambery and slightly powdery scent. The name is Amour, so it's nice for a loved one...
or, if she likes simple, fresh and light - anything from Clean line.

I tried to refrain from celebrity scents here (except Sarah Jessica Parker, all her perfumes are really good and unique actually, and except Ariana Grande, hers are quite cool-modern and currently "in") but if she really likes certain celebrity it might be a nice touch to give her that celebrity's fragrance. If she doesn't, then of course you better don't!

Last edited:

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
An alternative would be some sample sets from a niche brand. For instance, I was checking my favorite brand, Etat Libre d'Orange. They have a big sample set but it's $40, the $20 one is sold out.
^^ This.

And you can often find the Etat Libre sample sets on eBay for $20-25. They come in a nice tin that's great for gift-giving.

Evangeline

Oct 31, 2009
Oh my stars, Alice, what a list and complete with descriptions! I'd say that her oeuvre plus all the great suggestions for various beautiful discovery sets and Chopard fragrances (great rec, Ken!) should really set Coyle on the right track. For my part, I'd like to suggest Halston Amber, a soft and lovely, cozy cashmere blanket of a fragrance, perfect for the season and quite available as well as affordable, as in ~$15 affordable.

Coyle

Jun 22, 2018
What does she own already? It would be cool to give her either a different fragrance or something along the lines that she already likes, but not the exact one that she already has (unless of course it's her favourite, getting a backup of a favourite fragrance as a gift is always cool).
Does she enjoy gourmands, fresh scents, darker and louder clubbing scents, floral scents, woody and unisex scents, musky scents? It's best to go with her preferences even if she likes most scents :)

Some very nice choices you'll find at discounters (I'm kind of taking in that she loves most scents, so I'm looking at popular ones that many people like):

Lolita Lempicka Mon Premier - it's an aromatic gourmand that is surprisingly sweetly fresh and easy to wear, a bottle is very cute, too
Lolita Lempicka Lolitaland - a deep and comforting, ambery-fruity fragrance for colder months with a cute and quirky bottle
Sarah Jessica Parker Lovely - a truly lovely floral musk, very elegant and soft
Elizabeth Arden 5th Avenue Royale - a sultry night scent, a bit leathery and a bit dark, a really unique smelling scent for the price
Elizabeth Arden Green Tea - a wonderful freshie and super inexpensive citrus and green tea scent, you'll be able to grab a body cream, too (there are many flankers but original is the best)
Elizabeth Arden White Tea - a subtle musk and white tea scent, white t-shirt and blue jeans vibes
Moschino Cheap and Chic I Love Love - a light and summery orange creamsicle scent, very refreshing and happy
Lanvin Eclat d'Arpege - a super lovely and easy to wear floral scent (mostly wisteria and lilac) with hints of tea and fruit, effortlessly elegant
Jesus Del Pozo Halloween - if she likes a fresh fruity-floral aquatics that's a good one!
Escada Magnetism - if she loves fruity-sweet it's a good one
Calvin Klein Euphoria - a beautiful pomegranate-woody scent, perfect if she loves deeper, more unique scents instead of the girly floral ones and is
not afraid of more unisex vibes
Calvin Klein Reveal - a salty-sweet beachy skinscent vibes, subtle and comforting, a good one
Moschino Funny! - if she loves fun scents and would like some bubblegummy vibe; I personally don't like it but it's popular
Dolce & Gabbana L'Imperatrice - if she loves fruity-fresh and would love to smell like watermelon and kiwi, it's a classic of fruity-fresh
Nina Ricci fragrances: Nina, Bella, Luna - they're all cute and easy to wear gourmands in cute apple shaped bottles, I think they would look nice as a gift
Agent Provocateur Agent Provocateur - if she likes the slightly oldschool chypre vibes and unsweet, heavy and attention grabbing scents. A very sexy and dead serious rosy-musky-slightly spicy and boudour-ish scent for a grown up woman (NOT for young girls unless they're very into classic Hollywood vibes!)
Ariana Grande Cloud or R.E.M. - if she likes following trends as there are super popular right now! sweet gourmand-ish scents that are also very airy, strong, a bit Baccarat Rouge-like vibes
Trussardi Donna - another effortlessly elegant scent, very easy to wear and like, on the fresher side but for all seasons
L'Erbolario Meharees - if she's into the unique, the oriental, the ambery-sweet and strong. Desert-y, sandy vibes (amber, cinnamon, plum)
Roberto Cavalli EDP - mainly a vanilla scent in an intricate bottle, if she loves vanilla and cozy fragrances it's a good one
Shiseido Zen - a beautiful and chic fragrance, slightly similar to Chanel's Coco Mademoiselle in the citrusy-floral-patchouli vibes it gives, a cool looking squarish bottle
Burberry fragrances - London (classy very blended floral), Body (if she loves the "your skin but better" vibes), Burberry Her (strawberry, marshmallow and a bit of that Baccarat/Cloud vibe that's hard to describe)
DKNY Delicious - a fruity floral in a cool bottle - if she loves apples!
Bvlgari Omnia - if she loves spicy chai tea, it smells like that! but it's very quiet and not strong
Bvlgari Omnia flankers - if she likes subtle and quiet scents
Carolina Herrera Good Girl - if she likes a good clubbing scent (coffee, flowers, woods) and loves stilettos
Lancome La Nuit Tresor and La Nuit Tresor a la folie... - some more great clubbing scents, sweet, lovely, well performing and intoxicating (a la folie... has more berry vibes)
Lalique Perles - if she'd love a unique dark and peppered gothic rose among green woods. Unsweet, strong, dark.
Lalique Amethyst - if she'd love a purple-smelling soft berry scent. Blackberries and musk, lovely, comforting, introspective.
Lalique Le Parfum - a gorgeous dark vanilla and bay leaf. Very unique, a bit mature vanilla scent. Bay leaf makes it kinda quirky and maybe not for everyone.
Guerlain La Petite Robe Noire (and flankers) - beautiful classy and very well made cherry gourmands with some rose, some tea, some vanilla. Happy and chic fragrances
Kenzo Amour - a sweet, ambery and slightly powdery scent. The name is Amour, so it's nice for a loved one...
or, if she likes simple, fresh and light - anything from Clean line.

I tried to refrain from celebrity scents here (except Sarah Jessica Parker, all her perfumes are really good and unique actually, and except Ariana Grande, hers are quite cool-modern and currently "in") but if she really likes certain celebrity it might be a nice touch to give her that celebrity's fragrance. If she doesn't, then of course you better don't!
I remember her mentioning Ariana Grande perfume before but don't know if she has any or which one. I would get Cloud as I think from what I've read that it's good,, but am thinking something with a patchouli scent would be nice as she likes it and is something different from what she has.

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
Both Cloud and R.E.M. are good so whichever fancies you both more! There's also a very newly released Cloud Intense that might be of interest to you.

As for patchouli, maybe other people will give you better ideas (or maybe you already have something in mind?), but from the top of my head:

- Mugler Angel Muse - IF you're able to find it for the price you need, this is an amazing patchouli, nutella/chocolate hazelnut cream and grapefruit scent, absolutely incredible... I see it going for a good price in discounters sometimes, but not always. EDP is more gourmand and EDT is fruitier, more tart.
- Britney Spears Believe - a very affordable fruity patchouli scent, that's actually a good perfume, patchouli is very deep and Angel-like
- or you can go for some pure-ish patchouli blend such as Molinard Patchouli (I personally dislike it as it feels too dusty-musty for me, but many do like it; but I'm not a big patch lover) or Reminiscense Patchouli (haven't tried it but it's also well regarded... but it could be a bit hardcore patch) or something along the lines.

From my earlier suggestions, these have prominent patchouli:

- Elizabeth Arden 5th Avenue Royale (suede, patchouli, resins and balsams, raspberry, boozy notes)
- Shiseido Zen (lighter, citrusier, more floral scent)
- Lancome La Nuit Tresor and La Nuit Tresor a la folie (gourmand fruitchoulis)
- Lalique Perles (goth, dark, deep rose-patchouli scent)

Hope you can find something you both like!

Latest News