Looking for a quality, unique Oceanic-Marine scent

ironcladskin

Feb 28, 2008
Hi,

I am looking into purchasing a marine/ocean fragrance.. I need just one or two for my collection.

In the past I have enjoyed:
- Quasar (nice, unique)
- Laguna (okay)
- Cool Water (nice but meh)
- Aqua Di Gio (meh)
I want something different this time around..

The reviews for the following have sparked my interest:
- Erolfa
- Newport
- Oxygene (probably won't meet longevity requirements, but the ozone note seems appealing)

- live in hot humid SE Texas and I enjoy ocean/beach/marine scents.. So any input would be appreciated. :)

nenugal

Nov 12, 2006
The original Aqua de Bulgari pour Homme is one of my favourite oceanic scents, and I also think Kenzo pour Homme is worth trying.

moltening

Feb 16, 2008
Truefitt & Hill's 1805 / Grafton and L'eau d'Issey hands down. :)

Mare and Fougeres Marine are also worth a try.

(I'm not a fan of Erolfa) ... And I'd stay a mile away from Bvlgari Aqua Marine. :grin:

Last edited:

baudilus

Apr 18, 2008
I think you'll find that, of your criteria, you can only choose two at a time:

Quality
Unique
Oceanic

There are some great ones, but they are usually also very popular and not very unique. The one that most closely matches what you're looking for (IMO) is Bvlgari Aqua Marine.

It has a strong brine scent though, and made me feel like I was drowning in seaweed and ocean water.

Try it first, don't buy it blind.

petruccijc

Dec 5, 2007
IMO:

Reasonably Priced - Bulgari - Aqua (not Aqua Marine)

Expensive - Profumum - Acqua di Sale

Another one to look at would be I Profumi di Firenze - Breeza di Mare

Last edited:

Amit

Dec 7, 2005
Comptoir Sud Pacifique Aqua Motu : Smells very much like the sea breeze and the sands of the beach. Pure marine class.

Profumum Acqua di Sale : Another classy marine scent, this is one of the "truest" interpretation of the sea accords that I have ever smelled.

Last edited:

scentsitivity

Jan 17, 2007
Erolfa would be my first choice.

I think Laura Tonatto's Oltre is worthy of consideration, certainly unique, but in my judgment better for a woman (it is unisex).

jrd4t

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 26, 2007
Two that might be perfect..
Erolfa from your list to try (i LOVE it.. it's got a completely unique salty quality)

Bond Wall St... a much brighter scent, with sea kelp and cucumber notes. completely mouth watering.

Buzzlepuff

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 27, 2005
Those that I like the most are:

Sel d' Vetiver - the Different Co. - clean fresh salty sea air scent smells like walking the beach.

Captain - Molyneux - oceanic and fresh - its the ocean on the high seas.

For something that is almost oceanic and has the same kind of effect:

Kenzo Air - fresh air after the storm scent that will cut that SE Texas heat like butta.

Montale Musk to Musk - very ozonic fresh zingy musks. like erolfa but w/o the citrus.

Hoos

Mar 4, 2008
I would politely disagree with the suggestion of Truefitt & Hill 1805. I can see where a marine note could be seen in it, but it's not a marine frag to me (currently wearing it as SOTD).

I recommend i Profumi di Firenze's Brezza di Mare. It really is an oceanic with a hint of brine. Very nice frag with good longevity. One of my favorites. It's only available at Barney's currently. They may have it onlne, but the online store was sold out a couple of weeks ago. The local Barney's sold out pretty quickly too, in about a month.

P-Natra

May 19, 2006
Wall Street by Bond No. 9 is a nice marine scent...good lasting power...female love this scent, when I wear it.
and I have Erolfa by Creed
Bvlgari Avqa (not marine)
Fougeres Marine by Pierre Montale (very nice)
IL Profumo Aria di Mare is like you walking on the beach (more niche, than Aqua Motu CSP)

Last edited:

DiscoDan

Jun 16, 2008
you might try Del Mar (means 'of the sea') it's one of my favorite scents, and its definately ocean-y, but maybe not as much as you'd like

Simon Moon

Oct 3, 2006
Another vote for Erolfa here!

Comptoir Sud Pacifique Aqua Motu is another one to test.

Oxygene is actually pretty good and can be found very cheap at Marshalls. Longevity is not that bad.

Last edited:

irish

Jun 18, 2007
Amouage Arcus. Not cheap though.
Aqua Bvlgari
Tommy Bahama Set Sail at barts

Last edited:

noirwest

May 13, 2003
I see a few on here that I haven't got around to but since several have mentioned Kenzo's Pour Homme there's not much for me to add - except Kenzo has such a great woody drydown that would appeal to a southern fried Texan. The Kenzo has the added advantage of not costing a ridiculous amount and then there's all of the adjunct products for it. The after shave balm is good, the shower gel is great.
Now as good as the original is, you may want a little break from the briny deep and for that I suggest staying with the house of K and reaching for L' Eau par Kenzo. It hews to the same fresh marine line but takes it inshore to where the lemon trees are always in bloom around sundown. Very nice, almost like you beached the sea kyak in moonlight and walked into a grove. Oh, and if you decide you want to try L' Eau you might want to look for the older water drop shaped bottle. That's the one I know, not so sure about the newer rectangular one.

Mario Justiniani

Sep 6, 2005
I'd reccomend ANYTHING except Givenchy's Insense Ultramarine.

Yikes!

Some good suggestions here thus far,

Of the three you mentioned, I've only tried two: Erolfa and Newport.
I'd get the Erolfa. Newport was forgettable.

Cheers,

Mario

Last edited:

Magnifiscent

Jan 5, 2005
Montale Fougères Marines
I Profumi di Pantelleria Maestrale
Laura Tonatto Oltre
CSP Aqua Motu
and my latest wonderful discovery:Profumi del Forte Tirrenico

Stereotomy

Apr 27, 2007
Bulgari Aqva Marine (not the original).

Is the first true marine scent ever marketed toward men.

Wait, because 'Marine' is actually in the name?

I own both Aqua and Aqua Marine but while I can call Aqua original, Aqua Marine smells like Cool Water no. 12984 to me.

mikeperez23

Be Here. Now.
Basenotes Plus
Dec 31, 2006
From your list I think you should go for Erolfa. I personally don't like it, but in the ocean/marine genre I think it's what you're looking for. Kinda pricey though, so if I were you, I'd try to score a sample of it before you invest in a full bottle.

jacona

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Oct 17, 2003
I'll add Dior Dune (women's version). And not sure if you can find it anymore, but Marilyn miglin's Ancient Waters, huge marine note.

ironcladskin

Feb 28, 2008
I'm still here heheh..I'm looking up prices on all these great suggestions..

As for the niche fragrances, they sound appealing, however, if I feel something is not reasonably priced and not readily available, I tend to overlook it.
Usually $100 would be my spending limit, and it would have to be for a large bottle of 'something fantastic'..

So the brands like Kenzo and YSL will be getting more attention from my wallet.

I love blind purchases and I have fun with them overall.. I guess I'm 'easy going' with fragrance because most I've purchased have smelled good on me, imo.

I will probably get an Erolfa sample via eBay, as I don't want to spend so much on a blind purchase and not love it..
I purchased Creed MI blindly and I DID love it.. After a few months of using it, I noticed a damp linen bedsheet sort of smell and decided not to buy MI again.

ironcladskin

Feb 28, 2008
I'm still here heheh..I'm looking up prices on all these great suggestions..

As for the niche fragrances, they sound appealing, however, if I feel something is not reasonably priced and not readily available, I tend to overlook it.
Usually $100 would be my spending limit, and it would have to be for a large bottle of 'something fantastic'..

So the brands like Kenzo and YSL will be getting more attention from my wallet.
.. I will PROBABLY purchase Bulgari Aqua ...
:)
I love blind purchases and I have fun with them overall.. I guess I'm 'easy going' with fragrance because most I've purchased have smelled good on me, imo.

I will probably get an Erolfa sample via eBay, as I don't want to spend so much on a blind purchase and not love it..
I purchased Creed MI blindly and I DID love it.. After a few months of using it, I noticed a damp linen bedsheet sort of smell and decided not to buy MI again.

Latest News