Looking for a dark booze and tobacco fragrance

absolutesauvage

Basenotes Member
Jul 17, 2016
I'm looking for a couple new booze and tobacco scents, celebrating some good luck and want to treat myself. I don't like high pitched sweet, airy booze scents. MMM Jazz Club was sort of airy and sweet without character, smelled more like white rum. Same with Mugler Pure Havane. I absolutely love TF Tobacco Oud but now it's discontinued. I've been wearing a sample of Les Indemodables Vanilla Havane and I'm going to buy a bottle, seems to strike the perfect balance between a dark, molasses heavy rum and the smell of a cigar humidor. What else would you recommend I try? I'd like to keep it under $500 a bottle. Thank you!

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
One of my favorite genres! I'm a big fan of Tobacco Oud as well. Anything by Slumberhouse is wonderfully complex, my favorite being Jeke. That's a must try. I would also recommend that you try Cigar Rum and Cigar Rum Intense by Strangers Parfumerie.

absolutesauvage

Basenotes Member
Jul 17, 2016
One of my favorite genres! I'm a big fan of Tobacco Oud as well. Anything by Slumberhouse is wonderfully complex, my favorite being Jeke. That's a must try. I would also recommend that you try Cigar Rum and Cigar Rum Intense by Strangers Parfumerie.
I just blind bought a used bottle of Royal Crown Habanos at the recommendation of another poster, would you say Cigar Rum is similar or unique enough to justify it's own purchase?

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
I just blind bought a used bottle of Royal Crown Habanos at the recommendation of another poster, would you say Cigar Rum is similar or unique enough to justify it's own purchase?
Unfortunately I haven't yet had the chance to try that one. Hope you enjoy it, though. I would say Cigar Rum is at least worth a sample, if you are still itching to try some more in that genre.

Tappio

Basenotes Dependent
Jun 21, 2011
Lots of good suggestions in what is a category fairly well stuffed with good options. I would throw in a recommendation for Zegna's Elements of Man: Passion. It's a pretty nice option that gets overlooked.

rum

Basenotes Plus
Mar 17, 2011
D&G The One for Men EdP does come across a little boozy and has one of the better tobacco notes I have tried. It does have a little sweetness, but sugar-syrup level sweetness. You should have plenty of change left from your 500 even if you go for the 150ml size.

There may be more good suggestions in this thread.

thrilledchilled

All Is Beautiful
Basenotes Plus
Nov 17, 2018
Captain Fawcett Booz n Baccy

375x500.45848.jpg

absolutesauvage

Basenotes Member
Jul 17, 2016
Update: Bottle of Royal Crown Habanos came in, very interesting fragrance. Not what I was expecting, it's a very refined tobacco fragrance but it's mostly tobacco. I was hoping for something a little more rough and tumble like Tobacco Oud or sensual like Vanille Havane. It's a dry, golden powdery tobacco mixed with vanilla and musk. Habanos is 60 percent tobacco, 30 vanilla and musk, ten percent florals. If you like Ours Havane, 18.21 sweet tobacco, Xerjoff Naxos or vintage Salvador Dali Pour Homme, you will love Habanos.

For comparison I'd say Vanille Havane is 50 booze, 30 spice, 20 tobacco. Ursa is 50 wood, 25 tobacco and 25 spice. They are unique enough to have in a collection without being redundant, each is a different type of tobacco and booze scent.

rum

Basenotes Plus
Mar 17, 2011
Interesting, I've got a decant of Boundless and it's amazing, pretty close to my ideal Tobacco Oud replacement. Is Overture similar?
I have very little experience of Boundless so I can’t compare it to that. I’m only just discovering Overture but so far first impressions are quite good.

I should also caveat that I am not big on tobacco scents and anything that Tom Ford has produced to date, is not anything that I would place in the “ideal” tobacco scent bucket.

NZFH

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 27, 2016
Interesting, I've got a decant of Boundless and it's amazing, pretty close to my ideal Tobacco Oud replacement. Is Overture similar?
Overture is smokier, like BBQ smoke. Walked into the store today fully expecting to buy Overture but walked out with Boundless. Definitely has a sweet tobacco vibe.

JBHoren

I *am* smiling
Apr 25, 2007
You could try to sample some of these and see if they do anything for you.
Uniquee Kutay
Jovoy Pavillon Rouge

Jovoy Les Jeux Son Faits (doesn't last long but boozy and tobacco)
Tiziana Terenzi Laudano Nero
Tiziana Terenzi Ursa
Argos Triumph of Bacchus
Jovoy Les Jeux sont Faits is where my recent (late-May) search for a "dark, boozy tobacco" fragrance started and stopped. Longevity is 6+ hours; sillage is irrelevant to me — I smell it on me, and that's sufficient.

Zenwannabee

Sep 15, 2009
Some great suggestions here already. I’ll add John Varvatos Dark Rebel and Dark Rebel Rider, as well as CH Men Prive. And for a cheapie favorite, I love Juicy Couture’s Dirty English.

Perfumania - America's Leading Perfumery Chain!

Latest News

. .