List and rate the tobacco frags you've worn

Andy the frenchy

Sep 16, 2018
Easy, just get this and forget all the rest

Any suggested online sources for this? Seems like luckyscent is the only place that has it.

I personally can't stand Phaedon Tabac Rouge, that I find cloying sweet - noting that I love LV Atman Xaman, that some here find cloying sweet, just so that you have an idea...
Definitely not a safe blind buy for a tobacco-centric fragrance, unless you just look for a 'gourmands with tobacco vibes' kind of fragrances like TF Tobacco Vanille, Xerjoff Naxos and PdM Herod.

PotassiumSnow

Jun 13, 2021
I personally can't stand Phaedon Tabac Rouge, that I find cloying sweet - noting that I love LV Atman Xaman, that some here find cloying sweet, just so that you have an idea...
Definitely not a safe blind buy for a tobacco-centric fragrance, unless you just look for a 'gourmands with tobacco vibes' kind of fragrances like TF Tobacco Vanille, Xerjoff Naxos and PdM Herod.

I actually like TF tobacco vanilla a lot, never experienced Naxos yet and I am considering grabbing a bottle of Pure Havana with a 35% off coupon. It's either get Pure Havana or get Tabac Rogue for a bit more.

Emanuel76

Jun 16, 2018
Arte Profumi - Fumoir

It starts with a strong and thick dark campfire birch tar, immediately tempered by a cool discordant minty note, which probabably it's from cumin.
After the minty note begins to recede, a black pepper overdose joins the birch tar - smoke, charred wood, leather, spices, old woods, musty tobacco, a bit salty, slightly baked-pork-rinds-fishy-barbecuey vibe and a very faint distant sweetness. There is a cypriol/nagarmotha feel.

After that (5-6 hours), my sweet pomegranate shower gel I use at the gym has compromised the testing, so I can not be very sure anymore. :rolleyesold:

What's that? It smells familiar to me.
Petroleum-leather-vetiver a la Gucci - Guilty Absolute? Warm animalic musk? A faint fruity-ambery sweetness, or is it my shower gel?
As I said, I can't be sure.

Slow changing, it seems too linear and monotonous.
First impression - 7/10

34744_Arte_Profumi_Fumoir.jpg

Emanuel76

Jun 16, 2018
Sorry you don't like it.
Well, that's it. :smiley:
I'll find other perfumes to like. It's no biggie.

A couple of extra wearing during colder times might help appreciate it more.
Of course.
Or maybe the EDP it's different.

Got it. Doesn’t remind me of 1740 though.
Well, immortelle, spices, leather-tobacco, amber... So, it's "vaguely similar" to 1740.

Somehow perfumey.
Floral, fruity, a bit sirupy and heady.

Brooks Otterlake

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 12, 2019
Any suggested online sources for this? Seems like luckyscent is the only place that has it.
I got mine from Luckyscent.

I think Tabac Rouge is the best of the "Tobacco Vanille" family of fragrances. It dials back the vanilla, adds in some sticky honey (same kind of honey note that livens up Velvet Teddy, which is kinda similar to Tabac Rouge but is more floral and vanillic), ups up the tobacco and spices. There's a true, damp "shisha blend" feel to the drydown.

Brooks Otterlake

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 12, 2019
Re: Atman Shaman, I find that to be a mostly dry fragrance. The dusty herbs and leather effect reminded me of a nicer take on Aramis Tuscany's drydown (though Tuscany has a strong aniseed element that's nowhere to be found in Atman Xaman).

Whether or not you find Atman Xaman sweet will have a lot to do with your reaction to immortelle, which is pretty polarizing. The immortelle is more standalone in Atman Xaman than it is in 1740, where it blends into a kind of castoreum effect. Atman Xaman has a lot of note separation in the more rustic aromatic style (a style I like), so the effects of immortelle are more defined.

Atman Xaman definitely develops into a "maple syrup"-y feel in the drydown, but, to me, it's more of an impression than actual sugary-sweet effect.

PotassiumSnow

Jun 13, 2021

I think Tabac Rouge is the best of the "Tobacco Vanille" family of fragrances. It dials back the vanilla, adds in some sticky honey (same kind of honey note that livens up Velvet Teddy, which is kinda similar to Tabac Rouge but is more floral and vanillic), ups up the tobacco and spices. There's a true, damp "shisha blend" feel to the drydown.

I think I love the TF Tobacco Vanilla and anything with strong vanilla and red/cherry pipe tobacco because of growing up around my father and uncles that smoked pipes. It brings back fond memories of the winter rabbit, deer, and duck hunts. I would get wafts of that sweet sweet spicy tobacco scent in the winter air, it is simply amazing. I love walking into higher end cigar and tobacco bars here and picking up some just to have open in my office man cave even though I don't smoke.

Would Pure Havana be worth picking up for just a touch over 110 shipped from a reputable vendor? Or should I save my money and get the Tabac Rogue?

Emanuel76

Jun 16, 2018
Re: Atman Shaman, I find that to be a mostly dry fragrance. The dusty herbs and leather effect reminded me of a nicer take on Aramis Tuscany's drydown (though Tuscany has a strong aniseed element that's nowhere to be found in Atman Xaman).

Whether or not you find Atman Xaman sweet will have a lot to do with your reaction to immortelle, which is pretty polarizing. The immortelle is more standalone in Atman Xaman than it is in 1740, where it blends into a kind of castoreum effect. Atman Xaman has a lot of note separation in the more rustic aromatic style (a style I like), so the effects of immortelle are more defined.

Atman Xaman definitely develops into a "maple syrup"-y feel in the drydown, but, to me, it's more of an impression than actual sugary-sweet effect.

Both have a predominant immortelle. In both fragrances they managed to cope with the harsh excessive dryness. No complainings here. But in 1740 the immortelle are more pronounced, or perhaps it's fairer to say it's cleaner, closer to how essential oil smells.
Even in the Atman Xaman's dry down, where you can easily detect the nougat-caramel-fruity-floral immortelle, they (the immortelle) are partialy obstructed by a lot of fruity smoky tonka (or whatever they use as a substitute). Yeah, the immortelle are slightly fruity, but to my nose those fruits are definitely not so strong and red. That's from tonka.
In that stage (dry down), the immortelle are not heady at all. In Atman Xaman they are a little heady.
In 1740 (dry down) it's almost soliflore. All the notes support the immortelle, do not compete with them.

I don't have a problem with sweetness at all, but with its texture and the way it is delivered. Tonka (substitutes) and vanilin are a no no for me when used in large quntities. I hate the way they envelops and impregnates everything.

Mark.B

Aug 31, 2020
list and rate tobacco scents:

tabac 28 -> tobacco oud -> tobacco reserve -> clive christian c oudh intense -> aramis havana -> a*men havane

perfecto fino would be high on the list but I find the birch tar overwhelms the tobacco

Andy the frenchy

Sep 16, 2018

I actually like TF tobacco vanilla a lot, never experienced Naxos yet and I am considering grabbing a bottle of Pure Havana with a 35% off coupon. It's either get Pure Havana or get Tabac Rogue for a bit more.

All of these are gourmand, with some subtle tobacco under. Given that, Tabac Rouge might indeed check the boxes for you. Also, as suggetsed by Brooks, Mac Velvet Teddy is a great bang-for-the-buck, and great even without considering the price.

Naxos is basically a higher-end take on Mugler Pure Havane. Naxos is honeyed vanilla-centric, and sweeter. The impression of tobacco better done in Pure Havane. Hence why I'd recommend the Mugler over Naxos, but it all come to tastes and what you're looking for, at the end of the day.

Andy the frenchy

Sep 16, 2018
[...]
Or maybe the EDP it's different.
[...]
Never tried the EDP. Went to Nose in Paris (the only bricks'n'mortar store in the city stocking LV), and even there, they didn't carry it.

Whether or not you find Atman Xaman sweet will have a lot to do with your reaction to immortelle, which is pretty polarizing. [...]

I have the same impression. Dry with sweetness lingering only in the background, but not even a real sweetness... what I would define the 'sweet-but-not-sweet' immortelle. I think skin chemistry might play a lot too on how immortelle develops.

[...]they (the immortelle) are partialy obstructed by a lot of fruity smoky tonka (or whatever they use as a substitute). Yeah, the immortelle are slightly fruity, but to my nose those fruits are definitely not so strong and red. That's from tonka.
[...]
I don't have a problem with sweetness at all, but with its texture and the way it is delivered. Tonka (substitutes) and vanilin are a no no for me when used in large quntities. I hate the way they envelops and impregnates everything.

That's a very interesting discussion to see how this (complex) fragrance is perceived by each of us.
I get some vanillic resin in the base, yes, but combined with the tobacco/leather and a hint of musk. I don't get the tonka.
There is indeed a kind of sweetness in the background, but something a-la Chergui, that is sweet, yes, but very well counter balanced....

Also, if one is patient enough, the late drydown of AX will unveil a beautiful vetiver note (listed as a heart note), that will bring back the fragrance on the dryer side.

AX is very complex, I think we can all agree on that. I think it needs several wearings before appreciating it. My first wearing was meh, scared by sweetness, but when I pulled it off my wardrobe the second time, it has been a revelation. But we all have unique tastes, and that's the beauty of exchanging perception of fragrances.

PotassiumSnow

Jun 13, 2021
All of these are gourmand, with some subtle tobacco under. Given that, Tabac Rouge might indeed check the boxes for you. Also, as suggetsed by Brooks, Mac Velvet Teddy is a great bang-for-the-buck, and great even without considering the price.

Naxos is basically a higher-end take on Mugler Pure Havane. Naxos is honeyed vanilla-centric, and sweeter. The impression of tobacco better done in Pure Havane. Hence why I'd recommend the Mugler over Naxos, but it all come to tastes and what you're looking for, at the end of the day.

I wish I could find Naxos locally but that's not apparently an option. I figured Nordstrom's would have it, but they don't. I'll be checking out Herod today, but the price is really getting up there with those two. Suppose I'll have to figure out a way to try both and then watch for sales.

Sandy

Jan 15, 2005

Many claim Phaedon Tabac Rouge to be an improved Tobacco Vanille, but I agree with you, I can't stand it either - neither.

Andy the frenchy

Sep 16, 2018
Many claim Phaedon Tabac Rouge to be an improved Tobacco Vanille, but I agree with you, I can't stand it either - neither.
I'm no fan of TV to start with, so even improvements are hard for me to like. I should probably stop discussing 'honeyed/sweet tobacco' fragrances, because my judgement is unavoidably negatively biased towards that category.

I wish I could find Naxos locally but that's not apparently an option. I figured Nordstrom's would have it, but they don't. I'll be checking out Herod today, but the price is really getting up there with those two. Suppose I'll have to figure out a way to try both and then watch for sales.
Xerjoff has a very exclusive distribution (that's part of their 'bling-bling' image, even if I think that Xerjoff is a 'mainstream luxury' brand much more than a niche/indie, on par with Tom Ford, in terms of quality/pleasure - possibly an inch higher - but overpriced for what they offer, imo. My guess is that they invest more in the packaging and image than the fragrances themselves. Without the tacky bottles and boxes, the frarances would cost at most half of their current price). You might want to try buying a sample from LuckyScent. Given the price point, you definitely don't want to blind buy...

Emanuel76

Jun 16, 2018
Tiziana Terenzi - Ursa

Nutmeg, patchouli, Atlas cedar, cypriol/nagarmotha, smoke, warm fluffy musk and a molecule of ambery-vanilla (which in the deep dry down it becomes a bit more prominent).
Dark, thick, but with no depth. No matter how hard I try, I can't detect more facets and layers when I stick my nose into my wrist. Patchouli essential oil alone has more depth than Ursa.
Linear.
An overall synthetic feel that levels everything.

Yeah, yeah, it's leathery, tobaccoy, oudy, whatever the f you choose.

Nothing to pierce your nostrils. But there's nothing to excite either.

240 Euros?
GTFO!!!

7/10
I don't take price (and performance, which is excellent) into account.

cb9fe7738508e63a5c82198dcb21.jpg

Emanuel76

Jun 16, 2018
Never tried the EDP. Went to Nose in Paris (the only bricks'n'mortar store in the city stocking LV), and even there, they didn't carry it.
I have a sample. :tongue:

There is indeed a kind of sweetness in the background, but something a-la Chergui, that is sweet, yes, but very well counter balanced....
Chergui is a tonka bomb.
The sweetness seems balanced by the bitterness. But it flows in waves from all directions enveloping everything. That thin, airy, coward, mischievious, conniving, passive-agressive sweetness is always on the tip of my nose. I hate it.

I started the day really well. But I accidentally touched Chergui sprayer with my nose, and now I have to cut it off. Well, it could have been worse. :rolleyesold:

If you don't like Tobacco Vanille at all, Tabac Rouge will not change a thing.

Brooks Otterlake

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 12, 2019
I find Chergui pretty challenging for that first hour or so. That powdery iris-tonka cloud with the honey gets to be a bit much pretty quickly. I do love when the incense starts taking over, though.

Tobacco Vanille I find monotonous because it has no development to speak of beyond getting more and more vanillic. I've always found its opening intriguing, but all the interesting stuff in it is quickly obscured. Tabac Rouge allows space for the interesting stuff to develop.

PotassiumSnow

Jun 13, 2021
I'm no fan of TV to start with, so even improvements are hard for me to like. I should probably stop discussing 'honeyed/sweet tobacco' fragrances, because my judgement is unavoidably negatively biased towards that category.

Xerjoff has a very exclusive distribution (that's part of their 'bling-bling' image, even if I think that Xerjoff is a 'mainstream luxury' brand much more than a niche/indie, on par with Tom Ford, in terms of quality/pleasure - possibly an inch higher - but overpriced for what they offer, imo. My guess is that they invest more in the packaging and image than the fragrances themselves. Without the tacky bottles and boxes, the frarances would cost at most half of their current price). You might want to try buying a sample from LuckyScent. Given the price point, you definitely don't want to blind buy...

I'll probably do that, I plan to blind order Tobac Rogue from Luckyscent and I'll grab a sample of Naxos as well. I found that our regional Nordstrom's are now going to be carrying De Marly's line up and had them all set out and had some nice samples to be given out as well. It wore Herod out and it smells fantastic, certainly nowhere near as sweet and honeyed as TF Tobacco Vanilla and has more spice in it. It has some good projection to it as well for a while at least on the skin. It clings to clothing very well. This shirt I sprayed it on last night still smells strongly of it. However I did notice, this fragrance will stain your shirt. It looks like it has gotten wet and it stays like that. This was on a light blue button up. I highly doubt it's permanent though. Overall it's an impressive fragrance as is a few of their others, but the 300+ price tag, not so sure about that just yet.

Andy the frenchy

Sep 16, 2018
Tiziana Terenzi - Ursa

Nutmeg, patchouli, Atlas cedar, cypriol/nagarmotha, smoke, warm fluffy musk and a molecule of ambery-vanilla (which in the deep dry down it becomes a bit more prominent).
Dark, thick, but with no depth. No matter how hard I try, I can't detect more facets and layers when I stick my nose into my wrist. Patchouli essential oil alone has more depth than Ursa.
Linear.
An overall synthetic feel that levels everything.

Yeah, yeah, it's leathery, tobaccoy, oudy, whatever the f you choose.

Nothing to pierce your nostrils. But there's nothing to excite either.

240 Euros?
GTFO!!!

7/10
I don't take price (and performance, which is excellent) into account.

A bit linear yes, but I find it to be a great boozy/leathery blend, and a perfect fragrance for cold nights out. The full retail price is exagerated, like for any TT fragrance, but for the $100 I shelled out for a 100ml bottle of this one, I'm more than happy! (even more when knowing that it shares similarities with Kilian Straight to Heaven, which retail for $250/50ml...

Brooks Otterlake

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 12, 2019
Rasasi Boruzz Abeer Malaysia (2015)

There's much more oud in this than tobacco. The Bark compared this to Michael Kors Michael for Men and if you squint you can see it - leather and boozy, dried fruits with amber tones and animalic earthiness - but in its density this is really more Lutenesque to my mind.

The tobacco here is of the "hay" sort and it supports the Malaysian oud and leather. The oud smells undoubtedly genuine to me, nutty and deep and slightly sour. If you don't like authentic oud, don't bother with this composition; it's not fecal but it's certainly not clean.

Otherwise, the ingredient quality is impeccable (for the price, it had better be), and this has the best "dried fruit" accord I've encountered. That said, don't look to this to replace Michael for Men in your wardrobe. This doesn't have that kind of versatility.

Andy the frenchy

Sep 16, 2018
Rasasi Boruzz Abeer Malaysia (2015)

There's much more oud in this than tobacco. The Bark compared this to Michael Kors Michael for Men and if you squint you can see it - leather and boozy, dried fruits with amber tones and animalic earthiness - but in its density this is really more Lutenesque to my mind.

The tobacco here is of the "hay" sort and it supports the Malaysian oud and leather. The oud smells undoubtedly genuine to me, nutty and deep and slightly sour. If you don't like authentic oud, don't bother with this composition; it's not fecal but it's certainly not clean.

Otherwise, the ingredient quality is impeccable (for the price, it had better be), and this has the best "dried fruit" accord I've encountered. That said, don't look to this to replace Michael for Men in your wardrobe. This doesn't have that kind of versatility.
Always kept an eye on that one, as well as Boruzz Asrar Indonesia, but the price point does not allow for a blind buy in my book. Too bad..

Brooks Otterlake

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 12, 2019
Always kept an eye on that one, as well as Boruzz Asrar Indonesia, but the price point does not allow for a blind buy in my book. Too bad..
Yeah, I wouldn't encourage anyone to blind-buy it.

The oud in the Boruzz Abeer Malaysia is similar in character to the oud note in

19-69 La Habana

Which is nice if you like the D.S. & Durga kind of aesthetic. Saffron, cedar, oud, and kind of bitter, burnt caramel effect.

d r e

Dec 24, 2018
I haven't tried a fragrance that had a super realistic Tobacco note that I remember, but I also haven't tried some of the stuff listed here.

My favorite overall is Spicebomb (9/10), and it might also be the most realistic in the dry down to me. A lot of Tobacco fragrances seem to play Tobacco as this almost bitter warm/spicy 'bite' in the scent, whereas the Tobacco I know is usually more airy and gently sweet, not warm or spicy.

Hey Man

Sep 22, 2006
Has anyone tried Animal Mondain?

I ask because I asked Sebastian The Perfume Guy for a fragrance that he would recommend that is similar to Michael Kors 2001 and he picked that one, but it doesn't seem like it at all per the notes.

This is what he said:

"It reminds me of it but they are not identical. I have both and see the similarities". "To me it’s got old school vibes. Plus the animalic musk it’s perfect!"

Even if this isn't like Kors at all - is it a good tobacco cologne worth checking out?

Thanks!

Andy the frenchy

Sep 16, 2018
Has anyone tried Animal Mondain?

I ask because I asked Sebastian The Perfume Guy for a fragrance that he would recommend that is similar to Michael Kors 2001 and he picked that one, but it doesn't seem like it at all per the notes.

This is what he said:

"It reminds me of it but they are not identical. I have both and see the similarities". "To me it’s got old school vibes. Plus the animalic musk it’s perfect!"

Even if this isn't like Kors at all - is it a good tobacco cologne worth checking out?

Thanks!
I tried it on the fly in store once: it appeared very sweet and I wasn’t impressed at first sniff.
But again, it was just a sniff from a paper stripe, so take it for what it’s worth..

Hey Man

Sep 22, 2006
Fragrantica reviews compare it to many of the more popular sweet tobacco scents out there.
I know - I don't really get the recommendation, but this guy has tried a ton of tobacco fragrances, so if that was the one that popped into his head, I thought perhaps maybe there is some kind of similar vibe. He loves Kors too on top of that.

Brooks Otterlake

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 12, 2019
Kerosene Sacred Memory

Tobacco absolute is listed here, and you can identify it if you're looking for it, but it's really used to bolster the "whiskey wood" accord alongside some skanky musk (which quickly tones itself down). The predominant note here is a dark, tart red berry, which gives this a sharp feeling.

I like this a lot as kind of dark wood scent with a sort of "red wine" aroma, but I don't think someone looking for a tobacco accord would want to go out of their way for this one.

Latest News