Lime Heart Notes - looking for suggestions

greeneaj87

May 25, 2020
Hello fellow Basenote noses!

I've been experimenting with all things fruity, green and woody lately. I ordered a bunch of berry-centric aromachemicals and have discovered they can easily be pushed into green apple, guava or lime territory.

Tonight I mixed up an accord. It smells like a fresh, juicy, sweet lime!!!!!

3.000 Fructone
1.000 Nerol
1.000 Stemone
0.500 Allyl Amyl Glycolate
0.500 Triplal/MA Schiff Base
0.500 Citral
0.250 Alpha Damascone

These are just ratios, not a formula.

How can I carry this through to the heart? Are there any longer lasting aromachemicals that could somehow combine into a longer lasting juicy lime note? I am at a loss right now. Valencine, maybe? I really enjoy this smell and would love to be able to extend it at least into the mid notes.

Thank you in advance, fellow Basenoters!

DrSmellThis

Apr 13, 2013
Litsea is my current fave specifically for that, though I don't always want to build around the lime. I suppose bergamot is obvious. Linalool, linalyl acetate..Depends what you mean by heart note. Neroli goes with lime. Myrrh goes with lime. Jasmine. Thinking citral too? Oh wait you thought of that lol. But litsea is my automatic answer. Citronellol would likely support a lime note.I wonder how ethyl maltol would do. For all lime's tartness, it's very sweet.

EO&AC

Oct 23, 2016
Symrise says their 'Citrylal E' lasts up to 10 days.
IFF clamis their 'Limoxal' to be top to middle note.
I had both, but had never done any substantivity test, the least I can say is that they smell good. :D

pavomi

Sep 3, 2016
I had both, but had never done any substantivity test, the least I can say is that they smell good. :D

limoxal lasts about a month on blotter. but, the initial tartness turns within 3-4 days into a creamy waxy sweet note.

Jolieo

Feb 18, 2018
I know this seems counter intuitive but I have a lime essential oil that lasts much longer than a typical citrus- it’s actually a cheap one too-, I have a cold pressed from Eden botanicals and it’s almost as good. I think if you put a small amount punt of lemon grass, which lasts forever and is super strong, in with lime essential oil it could really extend it.

polysom

Apr 4, 2021
Maybe Glycoacetal could also help. Tried it today on skin and at 10% it has a very long lasting (hours) citrusy smell. Not really Lime, more like orange or grapefruit. But maybe at lower concentration it would be more like lime.
Edit: I could smell it for 7 hours on skin.

Last edited:

greeneaj87

May 25, 2020
Some incredible responses, thank you guys for the information. It's very much appreciated!

Litsea is my current fave specifically for that, though I don't always want to build around the lime. I suppose bergamot is obvious. Linalool, linalyl acetate..Depends what you mean by heart note. Neroli goes with lime. Myrrh goes with lime. Jasmine. Thinking citral too? Oh wait you thought of that lol. But litsea is my automatic answer. Citronellol would likely support a lime note.I wonder how ethyl maltol would do. For all lime's tartness, it's very sweet.

Litsea is a brand new material to me. I've never heard of it, and from a quick search, it seems it would fit the bill. Sounds like I need to order some! And I agree with you about citronellol, that is one of the few materials I own that could possibly extend a citrus/lime note. Pairing lime with jasmine is interesting - I just put some of my accord on a smelling strip, alongside a smelling strip with Jasmine Grandiflorum ABS 10% and they synergize well. Definitely getting some Eau Sauvage vibes, which I love!!!

polysom said:
Maybe something like Lemonile?

I can't believe I don't have any lemonile yet. I'll get some ASAP.

EO&AC said:
I had both, but had never done any substantivity test, the least I can say is that they smell good.

Two molecules that are brand new to me. Awesome!!

Jolieo said:
I know this seems counter intuitive but I have a lime essential oil that lasts much longer than a typical citrus- it’s actually a cheap one too-, I have a cold pressed from Eden botanicals and it’s almost as good. I think if you put a small amount punt of lemon grass, which lasts forever and is super strong, in with lime essential oil it could really extend it.

A long lasting Lime EO is intriguing, I'll try a few different versions and see if I can't find one with good tenacity. And I should probably replace some of the Citral with Lemongrass EO, I have no doubt that Lemongrass EO lasts longer. I will try them side by side tonight and see which one lasts longer.

polysom said:
Maybe Glycoacetal could also help. Tried it today on skin and at 10% it has a very long lasting (hours) citrusy smell. Not really Lime, more like orange or grapefruit. But maybe at lower concentration it would be more like lime.
Edit: I could smell it for 7 hours on skin.

Another new molecule that I need to try.

parker25mv said:
related older thread:
"Is there a lime ac...."
https://www.basenotes.net/threads/47...here-a-lime-ac

A good thread with many useful suggestions. Thank you!

AJ Dave said:
Mayol smells exactly like freshly squeezed lime juice without the fresh top notes.

Mayol is a molecule I've heard of, but was not aware of it's usage in citrus accords.

Many thanks, all. Super helpful info in here!

Latest News