Let's talk about Heeley | Basenotes

Let's talk about Heeley

Possum-Pie

Jun 10, 2012
I tried a number of these a few years ago and I was VERY impressed with the house. I tried Cardinal,Figuier, Menthe Fraiche, Ophelia, Sel Marin, and St. Clements. The only problem I had was projection and longevity. I want to re-try the house, any suggestions as to one with a little more "Power"?

dougczar

Mar 3, 2012
Huge fan of the house - one of my favorites.

Agarwoud is one that I really enjoy, and it has deceptively good performance. May lean too feminine for some, but I think it's in a similar mold as POAL, and many pull that off just fine.
If you like vetiver, then Vetiver Veritas is one you must try. Very strong performance. But you really need to like the harsh and raw aspects of vetiver.

+1 for Phoenicia.

yellowtone

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 27, 2016
I also like his scents a lot! I'd describe the style of this house as cerebral, understated, clean-but-not-boring, optimistic, and grounded.

The ones I tried were transparent, but quite long lasting on me. So far I've tried Sel Marin, Hippie Rose and Cardinal, and I have Iris de Nuit on the way. Especially Cardinal I remember as being quite potent.

williamroe

Sep 9, 2016
agree with those who find Sel Marin has goof longevity. I think this one is great for the office as well!

Possum-Pie

Jun 10, 2012
I loved Menthe Fraiche, one of the few mint frags that actually smells like the mint growing in my herb garden. Cardinal is a classic. I don't like Vetiver, so I'll pass on that but Agarwoud is now on my "try list". I may retest some, my obsession with projection that I had a few years ago has 'refined' lately. I'd love to retest Figuier and Cardinal. Summer looks like a scorcher here in the Mid-Atlantic, and Heeley frags are great hot summer perfumes.
Just looked at the notes of Phoenicia...right up my tastes! Definately have to try that one.

DrJeff

Jul 19, 2015
I just tried Menthe Fraiche for the first time two days ago and really enjoyed it. It's minty without a synthetic vibe. Great scent! Looking forward to trying Sel Marine.

freewheelingvagabond

Jun 10, 2012
Interesting and somewhat innovative compositions, however they mostly wear as EdTs irrespective of the eau de parfum concentration claims.

Cuir Pleine Fleur is the most interesting.

Vetiver Veritas doesn't smell too different from Haitian vetiver EO so you might get that instead and save $$$.

Diamondflame

Frag Bomber 1st Squadron
Basenotes Plus
Jun 28, 2009
If you're after power and projection, there's always A.Men. :wink:
For everything else, Heeley has some pretty good offerings if you can appreciate subtler styles of fragrances as much as I do. I enjoy Sel Marin, Menthe Fraiche. Hippie Rose, Vetiver Veritas and the outstanding Cuir Pleine Fleur. I'm somewhat disappointed with Chypre 21 partly due to my high expectations.

hitman

Jan 28, 2015
No doubt that there are many superb fragrances from the house, but yes, I feel the same way of lacking power in longevity and projection overall. I tried many of them and really adore most of them specially Sel Marin, Cuir Pleine Fleur, Menthe Fraiche, Coccobello but they are not getting very good rating in my books due to lack of performance factor :(

Possum-Pie

Jun 10, 2012
If you're after power and projection, there's always A.Men. :wink:
For everything else, Heeley has some pretty good offerings if you can appreciate subtler styles of fragrances as much as I do. I enjoy Sel Marin, Menthe Fraiche. Hippie Rose, Vetiver Veritas and the outstanding Cuir Pleine Fleur. I'm somewhat disappointed with Chypre 21 partly due to my high expectations.

I don't want people to think that all I'm after is projection monsters. I've evolved past that over the years, BUT I refuse to pay big money for something that lasts only 2hrs or that I can't smell unless I put my nose to my arm. I mean why would anyone wear something that the only way they can smell it is to pick up their collar and sniff?

chypre

Oct 10, 2006
I don't want people to think that all I'm after is projection monsters. I've evolved past that over the years, BUT I refuse to pay big money for something that lasts only 2hrs or that I can't smell unless I put my nose to my arm. I mean why would anyone wear something that the only way they can smell it is to pick up their collar and sniff?

Yeah, that's what I felt about Heeley fragrances. I really liked Phoenicia and Cuir Pleine Fleur though, and am tempted to treat them as (extremely) expensive EDCs that one has to overapply to get the normal effect. Surely that must work to make their scents stronger...

MrsDalloway

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 10, 2015
Love Cuir Pleine Fleur and Iris de Nuit. Projection and longevity are fine: I keep getting whiffs 8-10 hours after I put them on. They're very versatile too; my second and third most worn fragrances according to Basenotes wardrobe. I like Phoenicia a lot on my husband too.

freewheelingvagabond

Jun 10, 2012
No doubt that there are many superb fragrances from the house, but yes, I feel the same way of lacking power in longevity and projection overall. I tried many of them and really adore most of them specially Sel Marin, Cuir Pleine Fleur, Menthe Fraiche, Coccobello but they are not getting very good rating in my books due to lack of performance factor :(

Yeah, that's what I felt about Heeley fragrances. I really liked Phoenicia and Cuir Pleine Fleur though, and am tempted to treat them as (extremely) expensive EDCs that one has to overapply to get the normal effect. Surely that must work to make their scents stronger...

There's a difference between something being subtle/light (Bois d'Argent) and something being insubstantial (most Heeleys) ..........

Emanuel76

Jun 16, 2018
Does Eau Sacree shares Cardinal's pronounced detergent musk (musk, aldehyde, or whatever) and its airy character?

EauSacree-EX100-3500x3500px.jpg

Nastka

Mar 6, 2011
Note de Yuzu is a great twist on Sel Marin. I may get a bottle of that in the future.

The only one I own is Cardinal, and I enjoy that one very much.

Latest News