let's discuss super animalic perfumes for men here

SixCats

Basenotes Dependent
Jun 13, 2003
its simply too musky, fecal, fermented and pungent at my nose...and consider that i use deermusk, castoreum, civet, hyraceum etc etc....
but damascena its an overwelming of hindi hyper fermented smell
Hi Z, I understand. I'm only kidding. That being said, I'm sort of (pun intended) NOTED here at Basenotes for my LOVE of (what many consider) STINKY/RANK smelling Fragrances. The weirder/unique the better (as long as there is some true Art to the formula). Heck, I even made my own real Maine Beaver Castoreum Tincture. Yea, I have issues lol.

SixCats!

Z_LiDs

Oct 6, 2021
Ciao Z, ho capito. Sto solo scherzando. Detto questo, sono una specie di (gioco di parole) NOTATO qui su Basenotes per il mio AMORE per (ciò che molti considerano) Profumi puzzolenti/RANK. Più è strano/unico, meglio è (finché c'è della vera Arte nella formula). Diamine, ho persino creato la mia vera tintura di castoreum del Maine Beaver. Sì, ho problemi lol.

Sei gatti!
ahh ok ok ;
DAnyway, i love animal perfume too! and i have different pieces with more or less animal notes :)

Emanuel76

Basenotes Dependent
Jun 16, 2018
Laurent Mazzone (LM Parfums) - Black Oud for a mannered, well groomed dark animalic (not "super animalic") fragrance.
So love it!!! 😘

olrcyddfwwqj.jpg

Czech & Speake - Citrus Paradisi for a skunky, thick and ambery cologne, with civet, oakmoss and breezy, salty, mineralic ambergris impression manufactured (I assume) only from spices.
Counter-intuitively, but it's better in hot weather, when it's more diffusive and hazy, it blooms, has a better radiancy.
Hit or miss type of perfume given the halitosis type of skunk.
It works very well for me.

CE1100-Citrus-Paradisi.jpg

Sandy

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 15, 2005
Sandy said : "Any animalic vibe, even the slightest, kills a scent for me. Period." Sandy, surely you jest ? (and don't call me Shirly). DZING! (original Circus Girl riding atop Tiger label) is my NUMERO UNO Fragrance.

SixCats!
Have you read my entire comment? Just asking...

SixCats

Basenotes Dependent
Jun 13, 2003
Have you read my entire comment? Just asking...
Hi Sandy,

Sandy said: "Any animalic vibe, even the slightest, kills a scent for me. Period. Sometimes I don't find animalic at all a scent, generally regarded as animalic, the best example being Dzing!, but it's the very rare exception. There are too many unwanted things in life turning up one's stomach, why should I pay for one?"

I did indeed Sandy. I should had better explained my comment regarding "DZING!" I know not which version DZING! you have sampled however the early (original) version of DZING! (circa 1999) was VERY Animalic! The more current version of DZING! (now discontinued) the one which did NOT have the "Circus Girl riding atop Tiger label, is but a shadow of it's former/original self. Regarding my response to your comment: "Any animalic vibe, even the slightest, kills a scent for me. Period." was my attempt at Comedy since I'm such a HUGH fan of Animalic (unique) Fragrances. Hopefully Sandy, one day you'll have a change of Heart (as I did early on in my Fragrance journey) and come to LOVE "Animalic" Fragrances as I find this grouping of Fragrances THE most unique and complex. Cheers!

DZING!, Marlou 50mm d'ambiguite, Serge Luten MMK, Kouros, B the V "Complex", ELdO Rien, Montale Cuir d'Arabie, Diptyque L'Autre, EldO: Charogne, Papillon Artisan Perfumes - Salome, Mazzolari - Lui, Masque Milano Montecristo, Bull's Blood by Imaginary Authors, Caron L'Anarchiste, Bogart FURYO, Salvador Dali pour Homme, Zoologist Bat (original), SMN Nostalgia, Lalique Encre Noire, SMN "Acqua di Cuba", etc. etc. etc.

SixCats!

Sandy

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 15, 2005
Hi Sandy,

Sandy said: "Any animalic vibe, even the slightest, kills a scent for me. Period. Sometimes I don't find animalic at all a scent, generally regarded as animalic, the best example being Dzing!, but it's the very rare exception. There are too many unwanted things in life turning up one's stomach, why should I pay for one?"

I did indeed Sandy. I should had better explained my comment regarding "DZING!" I know not which version DZING! you have sampled however the early (original) version of DZING! (circa 1999) was VERY Animalic! The more current version of DZING! (now discontinued) the one which did NOT have the "Circus Girl riding atop Tiger label, is but a shadow of it's former/original self. Regarding my response to your comment: "Any animalic vibe, even the slightest, kills a scent for me. Period." was my attempt at Comedy since I'm such a HUGH fan of Animalic (unique) Fragrances. Hopefully Sandy, one day you'll have a change of Heart (as I did early on in my Fragrance journey) and come to LOVE "Animalic" Fragrances as I find this grouping of Fragrances THE most unique and complex. Cheers!

DZING!, Marlou 50mm d'ambiguite, Serge Luten MMK, Kouros, B the V "Complex", ELdO Rien, Montale Cuir d'Arabie, Diptyque L'Autre, EldO: Charogne, Papillon Artisan Perfumes - Salome, Mazzolari - Lui, Masque Milano Montecristo, Bull's Blood by Imaginary Authors, Caron L'Anarchiste, Bogart FURYO, Salvador Dali pour Homme, Zoologist Bat (original), SMN Nostalgia, Lalique Encre Noire, SMN "Acqua di Cuba", etc. etc. etc.

SixCats!

Hi my friend. As to the Dzing! versions, my experiences with it were well in the 2000+ years, maybe even at around 2010, so you well might be right. I did feel the circus (sawdust and candy) and (to a less extent) the cardboard line in it. But never ever any animalic vibe.

As to my future with animalic scents: no, thank you. Life is now too short for it :)

SixCats

Basenotes Dependent
Jun 13, 2003
Hi my friend. As to the Dzing! versions, my experiences with it were well in the 2000+ years, maybe even at around 2010, so you well might be right. I did feel the circus (sawdust and candy) and (to a less extent) the cardboard line in it. But never ever any animalic vibe.

As to my future with animalic scents: no, thank you. Life is now too short for it :)
LOL, I hear you Sandy. Enjoy.

SixCats!

SixCats

Basenotes Dependent
Jun 13, 2003
Rahassani is the skunk composition from Prin that doesn’t get the love it deserves. Who doesn’t want to know what skunk smells like in a perfume right!? It’s gorgeous.
Hi Cast, thank you for posting this (new to me) Perfumer/Fragrance/House. This House sounds VERY intriguing/unique (right up SixCats! alley) type of Fragrance! I can only hope my sense of smell returns in the future as I would love to give this House a try.

SixCats!

Castingshadows

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 14, 2020
Hi Cast, thank you for posting this (new to me) Perfumer/Fragrance/House. This House sounds VERY intriguing/unique (right up SixCats! alley) type of Fragrance! I can only hope my sense of smell returns in the future as I would love to give this House a try.

SixCats!
I think you’ll really enjoy Prin/Parfum’s Prissana. Prin is a pretty adept perfumer with a huge range of style and versatility. A lot of his scents are redundant due his constant refinement of old compositions and perfecting of accords and what not but some stands outs worth sampling (in the animalics category) are as follows:

Rahassani (skunk with gorgeous florals and Thai incense and real Oud)

Onthamara (deer musk and chocolatey ambered incense with real Oud and crazy spices) probably his best work to date

Mriga (vegan deer musk accord over a mossy Chypre) this is regarded as one of the best vegan musk accords ever made. At least in our corner of the deer musk world anyways.

Haxan (goat hair, herbs, and witchy fougere accords) this one is my favorite. From a distance it smells safe. Upclose it’s intense, musky incense and hella spiced up oakmoss.

Nocturnal Poetry (intense white florals, incense and HEAVY animalics). This one is a hidden gem. Beautiful blending and just an all around brilliant composition. Slightly urinous beeswax up top too.

growly

Apr 23, 2018
Interesting. the first post mentioned Marlou's Ambilux. I bought a 5ml sample of that and wore it outside the house. At the coffee shop a woman practically screamed 'WHAT ARE YOU WEARING? IT'S REALLY STRONG'.

I think the closest description would be that I smelled like a homeless person that hadn't washed in some considerable time.

Papillon's Salome is better. I like Anubis too. I have a sample of TSVGA's A Man and His Pipe. I really like that and wish I'd bought a bottle before it was discontinued. Sultan Pasha has attars with animalic notes, but I'm not a fan of attars.

Serge Lutens Veilleur de Nuit supposedly has castoreum and civet, I have it and like it a lot. Discontinued once again, like so many animalic perfumes. I'd like to try Furyo from Bogart.

thrilledchilled

All Is Beautiful
Basenotes Plus
Nov 17, 2018
Interesting. the first post mentioned Marlou's Ambilux. I bought a 5ml sample of that and wore it outside the house. At the coffee shop a woman practically screamed 'WHAT ARE YOU WEARING? IT'S REALLY STRONG'.

I think the closest description would be that I smelled like a homeless person that hadn't washed in some considerable time.

Papillon's Salome is better. I like Anubis too. I have a sample of TSVGA's A Man and His Pipe. I really like that and wish I'd bought a bottle before it was discontinued. Sultan Pasha has attars with animalic notes, but I'm not a fan of attars.

Serge Lutens Veilleur de Nuit supposedly has castoreum and civet, I have it and like it a lot. Discontinued once again, like so many animalic perfumes. I'd like to try Furyo from Bogart.
Tsvga is still available. I think I bought Pipe recently. Just slightly renamed.

Salumbre

Jan 26, 2022
Cartier Declaration. It is not supposed to be particularly animalic, and on my clothes it is a thing of beauty after the initial sweaty caraway dissipates, but on my skin is just caraway, funky leather and old dried sweat. Yuck.

Also Nicolai Cuir Cuba Intense. It's pretty unisex, and on my clothes it smells nice, complex, and poetic: a fresh, fruity opening, and then a memory of tobacco, with a hint of Spanish cedar. On my skin, however, it's just sweaty civet, old funky leather, sweaty civet, cumin, sweaty civet, caraway, sweaty civet and a hint of cigar. It sounds disgusting, but funnily enough it's not really unpleasant, just... strange.

growly

Apr 23, 2018
Tsvga is still available. I think I bought Pipe recently. Just slightly renamed.
Slightly renamed to what? Ah no, wait, I found it. A rather underwhelming name, 'Pipe'. They say - It is very smooth as opposed to “A man and his Pipe” which was intended to be more ‘rough.’

Thank you, I'll have to get this!

FMilan

Basenotes Member
Mar 30, 2021
My current favorites in this category are:
Kouros (the older the better, in this case - I tend to enjoy the Parfums Corp era more than the og, but that's just me)
Antaeus (the older the better, in this case also - and this is a double animalic, cause that's how I interpret beeswax)
Gold Man (with oakmoss still present on the ingredients list)
Figment Man
Laurent Mazzone Ambre Muscadin (animalic? well, it's hard to explain)
Ambre Doré (the only animalic offered by Oud that I can call animalic)
Montecristo (gorgeous!)
Portos
Iquitos
Teatro all Scala
Musc Tonkin
The almighty L'Air de Rien
Mazzolari Lui (more patchouli than musk, but it comes very animalic to my nose)
APLS (because of the honey... cumin is cheating, so I won't mention Eau d'Hermes, Kingdom, Tango and some others)
Musk Cologne (Musk Khabib doesn't smell animalic to me)
War and Peace II

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2022
Castoreum, real tincture, in old bottles of Antaeus, the original Ted Lapidus, Yatagan, old bottles of Aramis, some old animalic chypres eg Diorama, Miss Dior, or in a few modern, non-IFRA niche fragrances, Anna Zworykina Cuir de Russie, and Melag Russian Leather and Birch Tar.

Real animalics aren't restricted by IFRA. What has happened is consumer preferences and ethics have changed and, as a result, many of the large retailers (Sephora for example) now refuse to carry fragrances that contain any real animal ingredients. Imo anyone who eats meat or wears leather shouldn't have any problem with castoreum, although I know some people are simply squeamish about the idea of putting "animal stuff" on their skin. Civet is more debatable but imo if it's ethically sourced it's not a terrible thing, certainly far better in terms of animal cruelty than veal, for example - but possibly it's best reserved for niche stuff. Deer musk is magical, it gives fragrances an incredible richness and velvet powdery quality, but is an absolute no-no as far as I'm concerned and of course real ambergris and hyraceum have no impact on the animals themselves.

It's definitely still possible to make vegetarian fragrances with strong animalic qualities because of the widespread availability of good synthetic reconstructions but imo none of them really have the effect of the real things (same with oakmoss and costus). Speaking of costus and changing consumer preferences - is it even on anyone's radar any more as an animalic note or is it just too out of style to be a consideration?

In re my fragrances: Vert contains real castoreum and fake deer musk but I don't find it particularly animalic. All my other released fragrances are vegetarian. I love animalic aspects in compositions but imo they shouldn't stand out apart from giving the fragrance warmth, subtle sex appeal, etc - but I may just have a high tolerance for them, as I don't perceive vintage Yatagan as being particularly animalic. Still debating whether or not to release fragrances that contain real civet.

FMilan

Basenotes Member
Mar 30, 2021
Real animalics aren't restricted by IFRA. What has happened is consumer preferences and ethics have changed and, as a result, many of the large retailers (Sephora for example) now refuse to carry fragrances that contain any real animal ingredients. Imo anyone who eats meat or wears leather shouldn't have any problem with castoreum, although I know some people are simply squeamish about the idea of putting "animal stuff" on their skin. Civet is more debatable but imo if it's ethically sourced it's not a terrible thing, certainly far better in terms of animal cruelty than veal, for example - but possibly it's best reserved for niche stuff. Deer musk is magical, it gives fragrances an incredible richness and velvet powdery quality, but is an absolute no-no as far as I'm concerned and of course real ambergris and hyraceum have no impact on the animals themselves.

It's definitely still possible to make vegetarian fragrances with strong animalic qualities because of the widespread availability of good synthetic reconstructions but imo none of them really have the effect of the real things (same with oakmoss and costus). Speaking of costus and changing consumer preferences - is it even on anyone's radar any more as an animalic note or is it just too out of style to be a consideration?

In re my fragrances: Vert contains real castoreum and fake deer musk but I don't find it particularly animalic. All my other released fragrances are vegetarian. I love animalic aspects in compositions but imo they shouldn't stand out apart from giving the fragrance warmth, subtle sex appeal, etc - but I may just have a high tolerance for them, as I don't perceive vintage Yatagan as being particularly animalic. Still debating whether or not to release fragrances that contain real civet.

Good points here!
Haven't had the chance to try your creations, but will as soon as the opportunity shows.
About costus, I think that there's a good share of consumers that would appreciate having it on their perfumes (I include myself). L'Air de Rien is one of my big passions and is costus heavy. It gives a good animalic "edge", just like ambrette seeds, but more on the human side (scalp and that sebacious/unclean quality). Me likes it a lot!
Real civet? Yes, please (and yes, I'm aware of all the debate on sustainability and animal cruelty).

Dr B1414

Basenotes Junkie
Oct 21, 2019
I just sampled Hamdani from Parfums de Marly. Wow, this one fits in this thread, what a beautiful and complex oriental perfume. Leather, resins, woods, smoke. I can't believe that the house released this. Now discontinued. Shares some facets with L'Oudh by Tauer and Afrika Olifant. But I would say that overall has quite it's own thing going on, quite unique.

Latest News