l'Erbolario Meharees - Musc Ravageur clone?

Dec 19, 2008
I did a search after reading the thread about the closing of the US website on the "specials/coupons" board. . . and read of how this Meharees is an "exact duplicate" of Musc Ravageur.

I see that a few people have tried it, like Surreality, for instance. How did you all find it comparing to MR?

TheAttorney

Basenotes Dependent
Jul 24, 2008
Is the l'Erbolario Meharees bottle a sprayer? I am confused. Looks like it is not.

Last edited:

surreality

Basenotes Dependent
Jun 3, 2008
I've not tested Muscs Ravageur more than two or three times so I could be horribly wrong so keep that in mind.

While there are similarities between the Meharres and MR they are NOT exact copies, MR is a more complex and spicy perfume while the L'erlobario is a more vanillic and smooth fragrance. Personally I think the L'erbobario has better longevity than the MR. Due to its inexpensiveness, Meharres is worth picking up as it is a nice and very wearable perfume, but it is in no way a clone of or substitute for MR.

Last edited:

surreality

Basenotes Dependent
Jun 3, 2008
I'd forgotten how good Meharees is until I dusted off my bottle this morning. 15 hours after application this stuff, with its sweet musky vanillic goodness is still going strong. It was a perfect match for a cool (33F) day.

timaru

Basenotes Dependent
Jun 5, 2008
This really interests me as well!
Does it wrap itself as warm, soft and seductive as MR?would definitely be an option for my budget whereas MR isnt (as of now)...

mrclmind

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 6, 2008
I did a side-by-side comparison of these two about a year ago. You may want to perform a search and see if you can find it.

timaru

Basenotes Dependent
Jun 5, 2008
hmmm, did a proper search but couldnt find it, you dont happen to remember how that comparison thread was called?
I assume it was here on BN?

scentsitivity

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 17, 2007
Meharees is similar to Musc Ravageur, but not identical. On an initial spray, it feels like a duplicate to me. However, a couple of things strike me in the development: (1) a definite myrrh note in Meharees; (2) a generally thinner construction; it feels less intense over the long haul.

Certainly it is worthy of consideration and definitely a good value, should you like it!

narcus

Basenotes Dependent
Mar 9, 2005
AW: Re: l'Erbolario Meharees - Musc Ravageur clone?

I did a side-by-side comparison of these two about a year ago. You may want to perform a search and see if you can find it.
You mean this one?
I remember it well, the review of two musks! And I sometimes bookmark what I like ;-)
Sept 2008/ thread << I've found a real copy of Musc Ravageur for £ 15 >> / post #41
OK here's my side by side experience between MR and Meharees:

They do both start with a lavender top note. Meharees displays more of a musk ketone right off the bat. MR starts to develop into notes of clove where the Meharees bypasses that stage altogether; this gives MR a bit of a medicinal stage in development whereas Meharees burns straight through into a musk accord. At this stage Meharees begins to display some sweetness of vanilla and amber which is quite lovely while MR is still at the clove note. I don't mind clove, but this has always been the stage of MR that I have disliked on my skin, I just patiently wait it out because I know there will be a decent payoff soon.

Meharees develops very quickly to display some deep sandalwood notes that blend seamlessly with the musk/vanilla/amber accord and give the whole thing some spine, while MR is still at the clove stage.

When MR starts to dry down into what I consider its "true self" the musks become softly animalic, with creamy vanilla and sandalwood. This is where the two actually have much more in common than I thought before doing a side-by-side test on my skin. Meharees gets to the dry down without any of the clove-like medicinal qualities (oral pain killer).

Bottom line:
Meharees has a smoother overal development from lavender into a creamy sandalwood musk with good longevity and sillage. Meharees drys down slightly sweeter and slightly less animalic. Meharees has a tad less sillage, and longevity (but only slightly) It is insanely inexpensive, and IMO not much lower in quality than MR.

MR has a longer development that moves through a long clove middle note that many find pleasing, but I don't personally care for. The dry down has a very similar luxurious musk/vanilla/sandalwood accord as Meharees. It has a slightly more animalic tone and has a sharpness not present in Maharees.

I guess if you don't like clove and/or don't want to spend Frederic Malle prices, or you like your musk slightly sweeter, then Meharees is for you. Are they exact? No. The middle notes are very different. Are they similar? Pretty darned close when it comes to the extended dry down. Maharees is an EXCELLENT musk in a similar vein as MR, for a very affordable price.

Last edited:

Granola

Nov 2, 2009
Re: AW: Re: l'Erbolario Meharees - Musc Ravageur clone?

Where can I buy the bottle online? cybercucina.com is out of stock

narcus

Basenotes Dependent
Mar 9, 2005
Amazone and Google will help you find another site.
We don't even know in which country you live or would want M. shipped to :)smiley: ?)

narcus

Basenotes Dependent
Mar 9, 2005
It sounds as if the distributor stopped importing it. I would suggest you try to contact this gentleman: mrclmind I think he bought his in the US.

Last edited:

gupts

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 6, 2006
You can buy L'Erbolario products here

I wanted to buy their Sandalwood edp but they charge 26Euro for shipping to Australia.
The huge shipping cost was just too much for me, particularly when you are just paying 25Euro for the fragrance itself.

timaru

Basenotes Dependent
Jun 5, 2008
I'm just browsing through all the threads I have bookmarked lately as very interesting and see if things have changed and I maybe might be able to contribute.

Well, here I can.

I got my bottle of Meharees some 2 weeks ago, brought back from Italy by a friend.

Fragwise, this definitely plays in the same reign as MR but it is slightly different.
What did put me off of Meharees at first was a WAY stronger Lavender note right at the top. It's almost medicinal and last for about half an hour. However after 2-3 wearings and once I stopped measuring it with MR standards I came to appreciating this particular opening for what it is.
After that both frags go down the same road, a vanillic, cinnamon containing Musc, MR being the slightly spicier one.

Ultimately I love both but taking the prise into account (be it sub- or consciously) I think I would/will reach for Meharees more often and more liberally.

Postumo

Basenotes Dependent
Jun 11, 2010
I'm testing Meharees right now and it shares something with musc ravageur, but they're both good on their own. This meharees is quite good for the price,a nice deal that can even compete with MR (thought MR is slightly better)

NewHaarlem

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 17, 2010
I'm testing Meharees right now and it shares something with musc ravageur, but they're both good on their own. This meharees is quite good for the price,a nice deal that can even compete with MR (thought MR is slightly better)

Very similar to MR indeed and also made with natural ingredients. Anyone who is turned off by MR's clove note should definitely try it.

mrclmind

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 6, 2008
Very similar to MR indeed and also made with natural ingredients. Anyone who is turned off by MR's clove note should definitely try it.

I don't know that I believe it's made with all natural ingredients. I've never smelled natural ingredients that are capable of giving that kind of vanilla and musk accord I'm smelling in Meharees.

NewHaarlem

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 17, 2010
I know... I'm not faulting you for the information, I promise. My nose just doesn't believe what the copy from TPC states however. I could be wrong of course, but I really do think there are plenty of synthetics in this one though.

No worries. I didn't think that way. MR being a high quality fragrance and Meharees being too similar of a scent, it doesn't smell synthetic to my nose at all.

miguelca

Basenotes Junkie
Feb 12, 2011
I happen to live a couple of blocks from a L'Erbolario shop -- I tried Meharees and it's definitely very very similar to MR, though a bit "thinner" in the construction, and a little less long-lasting seemed to me.
Not a big fan of MR anyway, can't escape the idea that it smells like a cinnamon bun! I would definitely not shell out 100 euros for it anyway. Still, for 26 euros I might just pick Meharees up on a whim one day.

mrclmind

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 6, 2008
No worries. I didn't think that way. MR being a high quality fragrance and Meharees being too similar of a scent, it doesn't smell synthetic to my nose at all.

There is just no way to get a musk like in MR or Meharees except for in the lab. Even true animal musk (which I'm certain neither of them have) smells different.

Nanook

Jul 29, 2010
Man, I cannot find this stuff anywhere in the US. My last hope, London's Bathecary in Virginia just called and said they won't have it for months, if that. Other than that, it's Italian sites with a minimum order of €30 and shipping approaching that. If the price tag was really €60, I might pay it, or more likely since I've smelled it, just get MR and deal with the cloves, but paying that much for a €19 fragrance just rubs me the wrong way.

Anyone find it for cheaper? Anyone in Italy coming to LA soon with room in their luggage? ;)

NewHaarlem

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 17, 2010
Man, I cannot find this stuff anywhere in the US. My last hope, London's Bathecary in Virginia just called and said they won't have it for months, if that. Other than that, it's Italian sites with a minimum order of €30 and shipping approaching that. If the price tag was really €60, I might pay it, or more likely since I've smelled it, just get MR and deal with the cloves, but paying that much for a €19 fragrance just rubs me the wrong way.

Anyone find it for cheaper? Anyone in Italy coming to LA soon with room in their luggage? ;)

I bought mines on L'Erbolario's USA website: http://www.lerbolario-usa.com/Meharees-Eau-de-Parfum-p/21102.htm

Nanook

Jul 29, 2010
Update: Cybercucina got some in stock, but after I ordered through amazon, I got an email from Cybercucina stating they canceled my order "Due to regulatory considerations, we regret that we are unable to ship L'Erbolario products to California." I wrote back asking for clarification, and the response was to ask my state representative. Bizarre. I see restrictions on shipping fragrance to Catalina island on amazon, but a whole state?

Anyway... On a whim I called London's and it turns out they have it for $40, even though their site showed it as out of stock. Just got it yesterday and it is just what I wanted: MR without the medicinal cloves. I can still smell it quite well 10 hours after application.

[EDIT] Did not mention that I received a tester with an Italian "not for sale" sticker on the front and no cap. The London's sales rep I talked to on the phone did not mention this fact. I'm a bit ticked off and will contact them on Monday to see if they will make it right.

Still going after 11+ hours.

vv And thanks NewHaarlem.

Last edited:
Perfumania - America's Leading Perfumery Chain!

Latest News