Le Labo Gaiac 10 is so overrated

Foamywax

May 2, 2013
No, you're right, their regular collection is $200ish. It's the City Exclusives which are $350, but rarely ever worth the price, which is a shame because they have a few in that collection I wouldn't mind paying $200ish for.

Thanks for the information. It's funny how twenty years ago 90 dollars seemed like a large amount of money for a fragrance. My my how things have changed.

cheapimitation

May 15, 2015
That would be sad if true, it's the one from the main collection I've come close to buying. I never found it as challenging as some ppl describe, it's more like MFK Oud without the sweetness. It has that sort of rubbery/band aid aspect some ouds have but I always found it pretty clean and tame for oud, I'm just glad it doesn't go in the bitter/smokey direction most ouds seem to go today.

When Barney's closed I used up a gift card to buy a Le Labo candle and asked for some samples of Oud 27, I guess knowing they are closing and he had nothing to lose the SA gave me 2 giant handfuls of Oud 27 samples lol, so I figured I'm good on that for awhile. But maybe I'll pick up a real bottle this fall.

LOL!

Regarding Oud 27, checked at the Singapore store recently and the SA told me it's discontinued. Hope it's just limited distribution and not discontinuation as it still shows up on the website.

A lot of Western niche/designer Prestige brands are giving up their more animalic ouds and going to the saffron velvetly rose MFK style ouds because that's what the jet setters buy. Dior dropped Leather Oud, Gucci dropped most of its ouds, Le Labo now sacking Oud 27 too, so it looks like we'll have to go back to Middle Eastern houses for the stank lol

There was a Thé Noir fragrance from Le Labo I kinda liked too, but I forget the number. Guaiac 10 is just completely beyond my capacity to care though if it sells out faster than Nike shoes on the SNKR app

I like the way you think!

Count me in the minority that like threads like this.
I like strong opinions either pro or con a fragrance.
I learn a lot reading unfiltered diatribes.

GoldWineMemories

Nov 22, 2019
I always chuckle when i read any thread involving Le Labo.

There is always such heat and anger with this brand.
And yet most people end by saying there is one or two of the scents they love, but they dont like the rest - and it is overpriced etc,

But isnt that exactly what a niche brand should do - provide one or two scents that hit the mark with you, and the rest you can ignore - because they hit the mark with other people?
none of the scents are blatent "cash cow" scents that everyone will like but never love. Fair play to them or that, Even their most popular bergamote 22 has a woody/spice and musk dry down that is more complicated and less popular than the mainstream citrus freshies out there.

I like it that there are only one or two that appeal to me, and I encourage them to continue to produce their lines. The fragrance world would be poorer without Le Labo.

If anyone is interested my favourites are Bergamote 22, and Tabac 28 (one of the best tobacco scents in hot weather there is).

What you say makes a lot of sense. Even going back to some of the first houses who loves all the original Guerlains? I've noticed that intellectually & artistically people may love them, but when it comes to wearing them (Jicky, L'Heure Bleu, Mitsouko, Shalimar, Vol de Nuit) everyone usually has one perhaps two that really call out to them. For me with Le Labo Patchouli 24 is the best of the best of that line, and honestly it's up there in perfumery in general. Ylang 49 is fantastic if a bit boring for a whole bottle, Oud 27 is great, and if I'd wear it more I'd get a bottle, & I concur with you that the Tabac 28 is wonderful -- just not the price. Their other stuff isn't bad it's just maybe not great in the big picture of the fragrance world. Aldehyde 44 is a perfectly fine No. 22 pastiche, the Jasmin is a nice light white floral with some civet, Labdanum is really good if not a big non-descript for enthusiasts with require so much out of a bottle.

I also have heard from Sales Associates that Oud 27 is on the way out.

Andrewthecologneguy

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 26, 2006
This scent sells out in a day every year here in New York and I cannot understand why. It is beyond skin scent. You can barely smell it thats how light it is. What is so special about this?

Le Labo fragrance unfortunately can be fully perceived only by a percentage of the population.

Your nose can 'develop' to the point where you can smell them, to varying degrees.

For those who can smell them, it is a strong love or hate, and sometimes a meh.

My first encounter with Oud 27 and AnOther 13 sent me on a frenzy - I could not get enough.

Bergamote 22 did nothing for me, while Iris 39 was a scrubber.

As has been mentioned, for those who 'get' it aka can 'smell' it, there is a strong attraction (or repulsion).

I will never be without AnOther 13. It smells like pure sex to my nose.

Andrewthecologneguy

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 26, 2006
I always chuckle when i read any thread involving Le Labo.

There is always such heat and anger with this brand.
And yet most people end by saying there is one or two of the scents they love, but they dont like the rest - and it is overpriced etc,

But isnt that exactly what a niche brand should do - provide one or two scents that hit the mark with you, and the rest you can ignore - because they hit the mark with other people?
none of the scents are blatent "cash cow" scents that everyone will like but never love. Fair play to them or that, Even their most popular bergamote 22 has a woody/spice and musk dry down that is more complicated and less popular than the mainstream citrus freshies out there.

I like it that there are only one or two that appeal to me, and I encourage them to continue to produce their lines. The fragrance world would be poorer without Le Labo.

If anyone is interested my favourites are Bergamote 22, and Tabac 28 (one of the best tobacco scents in hot weather there is).

Spot on Mark.B
There are also a lot of fakes out there, especially decanted. If a person's experience with Le Labo is of a fake, well then...

Andy the frenchy

Sep 16, 2018
[...]
Seriously, Oud 27 is the only one I think I've had any desire to buy, and that's the one most counters don't have.
[...]
When Barney's closed I used up a gift card to buy a Le Labo candle and asked for some samples of Oud 27, I guess knowing they are closing and he had nothing to lose the SA gave me 2 giant handfuls of Oud 27 samples lol, so I figured I'm good on that for awhile. But maybe I'll pick up a real bottle this fall.
[...]
[...]Oud 27 is great, and if I'd wear it more I'd get a bottle, [...]
[...]My first encounter with Oud 27 and AnOther 13 sent me on a frenzy - I could not get enough.[...]

Of the 3 decants I have, Oud 27 is the only one I am plannig to keep.
Also had a sample of AnOther 13 that I found great, but wasn't fitting my personality.

[...]For those who can smell them, it is a strong love or hate, and sometimes a meh.

No hates for me. Just one big love, a couple of loves and many likes. Just a problem of pricing: at $350 a pop, only big loves are full bottle worthy for me. And even then, I'm not sure.

Latest News