Layering & Alchemy

Mar 14, 2021
Today I layered a clone of Absolute Aphrodisiac with molecule 02 (I know, clones are a big no no here, but this one is super close to the original. I have ordered a decant of Absolute Aphrodisiac and if it smells as good on me as I think the clone has been, I will purchase a full bottle no questions asked!) - anyway, I got complimented on it. Not quite sure what people could smell - the clone, molecule 02, or the layered "formulation". I myself could smell only the clone.

Another thing that I'm interested in trying is molecule 02 + molecule 01. Given that a small bottle of molecule 01 won's break bank I'll probably order a bottle tomorrow and report the findings here. I came across the idea from a Youtube video that I watched a while back and been curious since.

Plogic

Aug 15, 2018
Today I layered a clone of Absolute Aphrodisiac with molecule 02 (I know, clones are a big no no here, but this one is super close to the original. I have ordered a decant of Absolute Aphrodisiac and if it smells as good on me as I think the clone has been, I will purchase a full bottle no questions asked!) - anyway, I got complimented on it. Not quite sure what people could smell - the clone, molecule 02, or the layered "formulation". I myself could smell only the clone.

Another thing that I'm interested in trying is molecule 02 + molecule 01. Given that a small bottle of molecule 01 won's break bank I'll probably order a bottle tomorrow and report the findings here. I came across the idea from a Youtube video that I watched a while back and been curious since.
Interesting combinations! Must try, and no, I don't have an issue with clones :)

Mar 14, 2021
Interesting combinations! Must try, and no, I don't have an issue with clones :)
I tried the layering in store. Picked up Molecule 01 and sprayed Molecule 02 on top of it. Nothing spectacular I'd say, just a pleasant skin scent afterwards. But it has taken me quite some time just to get a feel for Molecule 02, so I guess, how I felt today won't exactly be how I'd be feeling about the layered "formula" in a few weeks time if I was to try it regularly.

Ken_Russell

Basenotes Institution
Jan 21, 2006
Interestingly also a further scent from the Dior Homme series, a fragrance do not even like so much on its own and another French fragrance. This latter one being less expensive/more affordable, though increasingly scarce and/or pricey due to mere discontinuation, namely:

Eau de Cedre Bleu from Yves Rocher

jdnba

Basenotes Dependent
May 30, 2007
I have found two scents that layer really well with my signature Kiehls Musk: Dolce and Gabanna pour Homme and Henry Rose Fog.

With D&G, it Amps up the drydown of Kiehls musk which is my favorite part. With Fog, it actually Amps up the lily of the valley present in both which just works on me.

Ifti

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 5, 2016
Pinaud Special Reserve is a great one to layer, seems to work with many fragrances in the wardrobe.
Often layer it with Burberry Brit, Lalique Hommage a L'homme, Prada L'homme...

To make Polo Green a little more 'approachable" I mixed it up with L'homme Ideal and Special Reserve. Went a bit wonky, L'homme Ideal is a banger for strength, took over the composition!

I was pondering recently, I noticed myself not wanting to 'contaminate', dilute or layer certain frags. Namely Worth PH and Pour Lui Oscar de la Renta. On a pedestal, can't bring myself to do it!

A few years in to the fragrance journey, I'm often layering different things in the thrill and hunt for something amazing!

ScentSensei

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 21, 2020
'Layering recipes' are a facet of fragrance I participate in without really trying. Because I wear multiple fragrances in a day sometimes I am 'segueing' from one to another and try to pick scents that harmonize with each other during the brief overlap phase. The problem I have with layering as an actual recipe is that I imagine perfumers create their scents to stand on their own and if I created a fragrance I don't know how I would feel if people were bragging about adulterating it with other scents by 'layering'. I'm probably weird that way. It is cool when occasionally I spray something over a not quite played out prior fragrance and they blend into some magical kismet of a scent together.

Salumbre

Jan 26, 2022
Lately, I have been layering Hermès Equipage Geranium on top of old Equipage. The resulting alchemy is not very different from either, but somehow richer and longer lasting. Like a stronger, bolder, creamier Equipage Geranium.

byandthrough

Mar 5, 2015
Recently post on this topic!

- 2 sprays of Terre d’Hermes (EDT) on the chest, with 1 spray of Terre d’Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche overtop.

It seems to give some extra legs to the TDH DNA, and adds some muscle to the ETF formula. It also is a great combo for the spring/summer months without being nuclear.

I have a friend that is really into layering and he wore Montale Aoud Forest layered with Le Labo Rose 31 and he smelled absolutely fantastic.

sethr

Basenotes Member
Jul 25, 2018
So I just decided to use the back of my hand as a makeshift laboratory (working from home and am willing to experiment!), combining two sprays of Encre Noir a L'Extreme with two of Dior Homme 2020. The result is surprisingly good!

Have you any interesting combinations of fragrances that you recommend layering? Would love to hear from you!
Nautica Voyage over Cool Water.

Wanted by Night over Encre Noir

Aventus over Green Irish Tweed

D&G Light Blue over Nautica Voyage

byandthrough

Mar 5, 2015
Recently purchased a bottle of Tom Ford Soleil Neige. The rep convinced me that it layers well with other “woodier” Tom fords. So far, I have layered it with Fougere d’Argent, Oud Wood and Oud Minerale and all of them have been absolute winners.

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
I don't layer often, but it can be fun. One notable combination I discovered was Tuscan Leather and Tobacco Oud.

vertatre

Dec 21, 2010
I've recently tried Acqua di Parma Colonia layered with AdP Colonia PURA, to really good effects.

The only others i've attempted were vintage and non vintage fragrances (ie. Eau Sauvage, Eau d'Hermes) to fine effects, but wouldn't think of laying 'non family' blends. just me.

Owen Bawn

Basenotes Member
Oct 18, 2021
I'm more likely to layer an EdT or an EdP over a complementary after shave. Italian or Spanish Floid aftershave followed by Guerlain Heritage or Habit Rouge; Proraso followed by Aqua di Parma Colonia Club or Geoffrey Beene's Bowling Green. The other day I used Figaro Monsieur Gold aftershave followed by Caron Pour un Homme. Delightful.

FiveoaksBouquet

Scented
Basenotes Plus
Jul 16, 2004
Lately I’ve been wearing Antaeus topped up with Beige edp, which provides a new deep and rich floral-leather fragrance. The florals in each create an amplified bouquet over a soft leathery base and the result is sublime.

On another note, so to speak, I tried Antaeus with Chance and immediately got a mental image of a smoke-filled boxing ring in Madison Square Garden, like in one of those old movies, in which Chance and Antaeus were battling it out for supremacy. Will not repeat. 😊

Last edited:

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
Today I'm trying a layering of Bortnikoff Moss Cologne and Nasomatto Black Afgano. The result is surprisingly a huge success!

Ifti

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 5, 2016
Exciting!

I do find meself mixing up and layering more and more... The thrill of an elusive alchemy!

Aaaanyway,
Felt that Moschino PH and Shalimar PI would be good, so far the Shalimar is super overpowering and totally eats up MPH. I'm thinking 1:5 would be just right!
Did have me thinking of Heritage a few times.
Which then got me a thinking... Heritage + Shalimar... Drool emoticon

Salumbre

Jan 26, 2022
Exciting!

I do find meself mixing up and layering more and more... The thrill of an elusive alchemy!

Aaaanyway,
Felt that Moschino PH and Shalimar PI would be good, so far the Shalimar is super overpowering and totally eats up MPH. I'm thinking 1:5 would be just right!
Did have me thinking of Heritage a few times.
Which then got me a thinking... Heritage + Shalimar... Drool emoticon
Are you sure about Heritage + Shalimar?

I can totally see Moschino PH + Shalimar (don't have the Moschino, but judging by the notes it's a dry macho leather beast, and a combination that's giving me ideas).

But Heritage, which I adore, is powdery enough as it is. Combined with powder-puff Shalimar, it could be unexpectedly wonderful --or it could be Death by Powder.

Do try it and report back, please!

ThVH

Basenotes Dependent
Mar 13, 2020
Used two dabs of Narciso Rodriguez Musc Oil for Him and 1.5 spray of for Him EdT. The intense musky soapiness of the oil, which still carries the OGs DNA, went very well with the EdT, it smelled fabulous

milkbaby

Apr 24, 2021
I've said this before in a couple of threads here and there but 1:1 layering of Dior Sauvage Elixir and Dior Homme Parfum is BOOMBASTIC bloody fantastic! 💥🤯🤩🤌

And the other day I accidently layered Xerjoff Irisss (which I don't love, which is sad considering how expensive it is) with Killian Black Phantom, and it was AMAZING! 🥀☕😋

Latest News