Layerer's Lounge

jkonick

Feb 16, 2019
It’s a warm 70 degree spring evening in Seattle, and I’m wearing the intimate post workout lemon verbena combo: used L’Occitane Verbena shampoo/conditioner/body wash, then the verbena lotion after showering. Let that set in and doused myself in Tres Nuit. Sitting in the backyard right now and I smell as fresh as the spring air.

jkonick

Feb 16, 2019
Somewhat unintentional but very nice combo: the remnants of ELdO Rien Intense Incense that have been smoldering on my sweater for two days now (!!), with a fresh coat of TDC Rose Poivree. The resinous incense and leather work very nicely with the sensual civet-rose of RP.

Hugh V.

Dec 9, 2016
I accidentally sprayed Aqua di Gio on my chest after forgetting that I had already had a shot of Gucci Guilty Absolute. The result smelled kinda good. Anyone else tried this combination?

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
I accidentally sprayed Aqua di Gio on my chest after forgetting that I had already had a shot of Gucci Guilty Absolute. The result smelled kinda good. Anyone else tried this combination?

Not a combination I would have thought of, but I can see how the result may be interesting.

jkonick

Feb 16, 2019
I finally got a full bottle of Diptyque Olene, and I’ve been trying out all kind of different combos with it. On its own it’s a fairly linear clean, soapy white floral fragrance with wisteria, honeysuckle and jasmine and that’s basically it. But it adds a clean white floral note that works seamlessly with lots of other fragrances. So far I’ve tried it with Encre Noire, Le Labo Oud, Rogue Mousse Illuminee and Mugler Cologne. It’s like a DIY white floral flanker maker.

Sheik Yerbouti

oakmoss fiend
Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2017
I have a bottle of Guerlain Vetiver (which I hardly ever wear) and Habit Rouge EdT (which I never wear). I find GV fresh but a tad rough and HR bordering feminine and cloying. Yesterday I put on Vetiver and thought it needs a tad of sweetness, so I reached for the powdered vanillin and lemon rose bomb that is HR, put a spray over the top and voila - the sacrilegious mishmash worked. It sweetened the vetiver a tad. Had to go with a ratio of 2 GV to 1 HR but happy days.

Combination success - 6/10

jkonick

Feb 16, 2019
Always like the unintentional layering stories - a fun way to stumble upon interesting combos. And @Ifti, TdH with a walloping leather sounds amazing. I’d love to see a TdH leather flanker.

My layer of the day is Lalique White and Atelier Poivre Electrique. A bright and clean punchy peppery duo.

jkonick

Feb 16, 2019
I recently bought 100 5 ml atomizers off Amazon for next to nothing, and I’ve been using them to combine and macerate my layering experiments overnight. Today I’m wearing a mix of CdG Tar, Montale Greyland and Encre Noire. Talk about a boldly spicy Iso E Super combo on a bed of sizzling asphalt (it’s quite hot and humid in Seattle today too).

For tomorrow, I’m currently “brewing” Bentley for Men Intense with a few drops of Givco Black Agar.

jkonick

Feb 16, 2019
All out today.
GG to the chest
Lapidus and
Kouros.

Yesterdays Mugler Cologne + Encre Noire worksna treat. Prolly go 2:1 though as Mugler is deceptively strong.

That first one is a real power combo! Wowza, bet it smelled beastly.

The EN + Mugler is nice, one I’ve done before as well. I think EN makes a good base layer for brighter citrus or white floral scents. Goes very nicely with Diptyque Olene’s clean jasmine/honeysuckle.

Today I’m wearing Cedrat Boise and Polo Cologne Intense - both of these have Aventus vibes to me - more so the Mancera obviously, but PCI also has a similar bright ambroxan quality. Very nice pair on an 85 degree day.

Sheik Yerbouti

oakmoss fiend
Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2017
This is a pairing I have tried previously which works quite nicely...

Earlier this evening I sprayed my forearms with Bois du Portugal and French Lover right next to it. Both great in their own right but they both have something else in common too; a somewhat dry sharp green top with a sweeter basenote structure. As these drydown they retain some of that character but the sweetness and creaminess of the sandalwood and ambergris of BdP joins the sweet fresher grassier vetiver, musk and moss of FL and the melange is quite moreish. If you happen to have both I would reccomend trying this at least once.

Combination success - drydown 8.5/10

jdnba

May 30, 2007
I have two combos that just seem to go together like PB and J for some reason.

1. Bulgari pour homme mixed with Body Shoppe White Musk for him. It creates this super clean, musk bomb.
2. Dolce and Gabbana pour homme and Kiehls Musk. Don’t even know how to describe it, but both round each other out.

Sheik Yerbouti

oakmoss fiend
Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2017
A few days ago sprayed on

Worth Pour Homme (clear bottle, bright blue cap) 1 spray to back of each wrist
Heritage EdT directly over the top (again 1 spray to back of each wrist) to provide some smoothness and spice
Mousse Illuminee sprayed to only 1 inner wrist and touched wrists together

(Spray ratio 2:2:1)

After 30 minutes I was in fragrance heaven

Worth provided the oakmoss and fougere base - Heritage provided the cedar, patchouli, spices and refinement (Worth and Heritage created a superb amber together) - Mousse provided the perfect deepest part of the fragrance base, treemoss, floral and resinous air

They all worked together and created something akin to a classic, refined 80s powerhouse fougere.

Combination success - 9/10

(The individual elements combined to provide wonderful unique accords)

Andrewthecologneguy

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 26, 2006
Messing with the Creeds today...

5 shots Silver Mountain Water
2 shots Royal Water

Marine sweet salty cum bright sweet juicy citrus.
I'm off the coast of somewhere in Italy :)

jkonick

Feb 16, 2019
@Sheik, impressive mad scientist work there!! :lolk:

I’m wearing Jardin Sur le Toit on the base of Eau de Campagne, very nice JCE green combo for a hot day. I wouldn’t spray them at the same time but the Sisley gives the Hermès more of a traditional vibe.

jkonick

Feb 16, 2019
Today I’m wearing Elie Saab Rose and L’Artisan Al Oudh, and it’s a wonderful rose-oud combo with a kind of gourmand background from the vanilla and dried fruits, respectively. I actually bought ES Rose assuming it would layer well with ES Oud, but I find Rose to be a bit of an odd duck in the ES Essences family - it is much more dense with the vanilla. But that kind of heavy, sweet, dense rose-vanilla works perfectly with the equally sweet and chewy-dense dried fruit of Al Oudh.

Ifti

Aug 5, 2016
A few days ago sprayed on

Worth Pour Homme (clear bottle, bright blue cap) 1 spray to back of each wrist
Heritage EdT directly over the top (again 1 spray to back of each wrist) to provide some smoothness and spice
Mousse Illuminee sprayed to only 1 inner wrist and touched wrists together

(Spray ratio 2:2:1)

After 30 minutes I was in fragrance heaven

Worth provided the oakmoss and fougere base - Heritage provided the cedar, patchouli, spices and refinement (Worth and Heritage created a superb amber together) - Mousse provided the perfect deepest part of the fragrance base, treemoss, floral and resinous air

They all worked together and created something akin to a classic, refined 80s powerhouse fougere.

Combination success - 9/10

(The individual elements combined to provide wonderful unique accords)

I tells ya what?! Worth is a phenomenon.
A real few days worth of dev and joy.
So flipping deep.
I still kinda don't know what I'm smelling but it's good ( after 5 ish years).
Get all sorts of glimpses at other mega frags through the lense of Worth. Paco, Equipage, Kouros, Drakkar.... So many different stages of smooth blend.

Seems like the big deep pillowy and mellow( opposed to angular ) base gives Worth wonderful layering possibilities.

And with Heritage? MUST try this !

Andrewthecologneguy

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 26, 2006
Having figured out what I find irresistible about LV Afternoon Swim (it is Jacques Cavallier-Belletrud's interpretation of Tommy Hilfiger's True Star) I started playing with True Star to see what I could layer it with to get to the magic of Afternoon Swim.

I decided on Jil Sander's Sander for men, (sweet mint) with True Star.
The combo is stunning to my nose, even though not quite Afternoon Swim.

Andrewthecologneguy

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 26, 2006
I'll have to try that combination of AdG and Gucci Guilty Absolute. GGA seems made for layering, on me its so linear and dare I say it not that interesting on its own.

This sounds interesting to me, a must try.
GGA isn't linear on me thankfully, and no where near uninteresting either :)

Sheik Yerbouti

oakmoss fiend
Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2017
I tells ya what?! Worth is a phenomenon.
A real few days worth of dev and joy.
So flipping deep.
I still kinda don't know what I'm smelling but it's good ( after 5 ish years).
Get all sorts of glimpses at other mega frags through the lense of Worth. Paco, Equipage, Kouros, Drakkar.... So many different stages of smooth blend.

Seems like the big deep pillowy and mellow( opposed to angular ) base gives Worth wonderful layering possibilities.

And with Heritage? MUST try this !

Ol’ Worth is definitey an underrated sleeper. Oldy but goody!

Interested to see what you make of the combo bud ,)

Ifti

Aug 5, 2016
Ol’ Worth is definitey an underrated sleeper. Oldy but goody!

Interested to see what you make of the combo bud ,)

Been quite warm of late, sounds like an awesome combo for when autumn hits proper.

Saying that, lol I couldn't resist Red for Men today.

Talking of layering. Always feel Open Black is a good one to pump up some of the old school powerhouses that are a bit say light currently.
Has a nice old school buttery, leathery, a bit stinky, warm bubble that I feel would boost those sort of frags.

Thus, today, Red for Men which seems to have little 'weight' had been bumpered up with a couple of sprays of Open Black.

Pretty tidy!

jkonick

Feb 16, 2019
I’ve been experimenting a lot lately with Mancera Instant Crush. The composition is like 98% base notes, so it makes a nice palette of sorts to layer on more too heavy fragrances. Works really nicely with anything citrus; I tried layering it with a sample of Atelier Orange Sanguine and it resulted in a kind of creamy-citrus Xerjoff vibe.

Jay-Lux'eau

Jan 20, 2019
I wore the regular Fahrenheit during the day and sprayed on a sample of Fahrenheit Parfum in the evening (not in the same place).

I will be trying layering these 2 soon. They're both good and I'm curious if they can be combined to get the best of both worlds...

Ifti

Aug 5, 2016
Azzaro PH on top of Eau Sauvage Parfum worked a treat. Yummy wafts.
This was an accidental surprise layering

One of the recent Tom Fords I tried, was really powdery and then a nice leather came out and surprised me. And I rather quite liked it. To recreate somewhat I've mixed Brit and Pinaud Special Reserve. This REALLY good! Slightly reminds of Amazone IIRC. Surprised how finished it feels. Thumb zup!

Ged

Nov 9, 2005
Creed GIT with Tom Ford Extreme
ADP Essenza with Encre Noir
Antaeus with Tuscan Leather
JPG Ultramale with Zaharoff Signature
Declaration d'Un Soir with Bentley Absolute
Gucci Guilty Absolute with Mercedes Club Black
Encre Noire A L'Extreme with Mercedes Club Black

Sheik Yerbouti

oakmoss fiend
Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2017
I enjoy the fragrances I wear for what they are but I also like experimenting with them to get different effects or to make certain notes more noticeable. I also like combining fragrances to get fuller fragrances in the way they might have been chock full of ingredients in decades gone by. I’ve made an unusual pairing tonight that works rather well and not to blow my own trumpet but I just had a feeling it would. I layered Aramis and Dior Homme Parfum. Yeah you heard that right. The vintage powerhouse leather with the modern. The weather has turned cooler here so stronger fragrances have certain harsher notes tamed. What I get from the combination is a lot of leather, treemoss, orris and some jasmine, amber, artemisia, patchouli and a smidge of cumin. The two fragrances are so full that they click into each other. They don’t really clash (except the 1st 5 mins), more of a melding of strong ingredients. It wears like an 80s fragrance. The Dior iris and leather really lift the rugged Aramis into a more refined realm. Or to put it another way the Aramis provides some grit to the ‘flamboyance’ of the Dior. The two counterbalance each other so well that it feels uncanny. Went with a 1:1 spray ratio - 1 spray of each on both wrists for a combined total of 4 sprays.
I’m going to give this pairing a few more wears before giving it a rating.

Ifti

Aug 5, 2016
Oh yeah, I had a go at mixing up a ml of each, Worth PH and Heritage EDP. Perhaps requires 2:1 , the heritage is much more vocal. And perhaps EDT would be a better one?
Got at a real solid and old.school vibe yet not dated or fusty. Something in there reminding me of 3rd Man.

Remnants of Or Black and Armani Lui on my hands after decanting worked very nice!

jkonick

Feb 16, 2019
TF Tobacco Oud and Le Labo Oud. Really brings out the animalic side of the TF, and adds some nice complexity and nuance.

Latest News