Layerer's Lounge

eponymous

Dec 7, 2019
Encre Noir a L'Extreme x Terre D'Hermes

I am not a fan of a l'Extreme but I love Encre Noir original and due to its ultra-fresh floral, yet slightly earthy, drydown, I think it makes a versatile base for layering. I tried Prada Luna Rossa Carbon over top of EN and it worked really well. The Prada has a slightly "aftershave" affect (plus something else metallic that can be harsh). The EN somewhat grounds the harshness of the Prada, while the Prada adds a little bit of excitement to the otherwise very subdued, understated, natural/earthy EN. I've layered John Varvatos (original) on EN and, surprisingly, it works just fine. The EN takes on more of a "fresh, soapy" affect on the skin, while the JV smells like what it is... men's cologne. Next to try: Calvin Klein Man x EN. We'll see what happens when the fougere-metallic CK Man mixes with the demure, earthy EN. I'm guessing it will be a bit like playing metal guitar on top of Mozart. That can actually work.

jkonick

Feb 16, 2019
Encre Noire is definitely one of my favorite layering scents. I like pairing it with light citrus/white floral scents like Mugler Cologne or Diptyque Olene.

Today I'm wearing Terre d'Hermes Parfum with Gucci Guilty Absolute. The top notes of these two clash a little, so I only did 2 sprays of GGA, but once they settle down they have surprisingly similar bases. Take away the band-aid leather from GGA and the orange from TdH and you've got pretty similar scent profiles.

jkonick

Feb 16, 2019
Might’ve come across my best combo yet today: TdH Parfum (4 sprays) with Black Aoud (1 spray). Might not seem like a logical choice at first, but the orange in TdH lines up with the mandarin/tangerine note in BA, the flint of TdH complements the medicinal oud of BA, and the rose from BA stands in appropriately for the rose/geranium in TdH EdT. Discovered this basically by chance after wearing a BA-infused sweater with few fresh sprays of TdH.

Andrei Bolkonsky

Feb 20, 2020
I've had only ONE layering experience, and technically it is not even Layering.

I MIXED 3ml of pure, authentic mysore sandalwood oil INTO a 200ml bottle of TAM DAO. The result was fabulous, IMHO. I call this perfume my very own side-effect-free tranquilizer.

jkonick

Feb 16, 2019
I've had only ONE layering experience, and technically it is not even Layering.

I MIXED 3ml of pure, authentic mysore sandalwood oil INTO a 200ml bottle of TAM DAO. The result was fabulous, IMHO. I call this perfume my very own side-effect-free tranquilizer.

Sounds like a potent blend! I’ve been layering Sycomore EdP with Tam Dao to great effect lately.

gerbick

Jun 13, 2009
Accidental layer that honestly worked well...

Creed Millesime 1849 and Roja Dove Oceania. The muskiness and ylang-ylang of the Creed mixes well with the freshness of the Roja which also has ylang-ylang.

I'm doing this one again.

jkonick

Feb 16, 2019
CdG Vettiveru layered with Aveda bergamot essential oil. I mixed the EO in with some unscented lotion, then sprayed the CdG over that when it dried. Nice citrus boost that complemented the EdC style vetiver.

jkonick

Feb 16, 2019
Terre d'Hermes EdT and Declaration d'Un Soir. The subtle rose/geranium in TdH is one of my favorite aspects of it, and this really brings it to the fore. The Ellena DNA in these two make them a pretty seamless combo.

jkonick

Feb 16, 2019
Oh , sounds good this! Love D'un Soir!

It’s one of my favorite masculine roses, and a nice (and much cheaper) alternative to Le Labo Rose 31. I also like layering it with the original Declaration for a spicier punch.

jkonick

Feb 16, 2019
Ok, here's a wild one. I combined the following in a 5 ml glass spray bottle:

2 second spray from aerosol Muelhen's Men's Classic (probably 4-5 regular sprays),
4 sprays Bottega Veneta Pour Homme,
3 sprays Gucci Guilty Absolute,
2 sprays Terre d'Hermes Parfum,
and about 1/4 spray of Mousse Illuminee.

Now that is a leathery, green powerhouse combo!

CrimsonIdol8

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 17, 2011
TF Noir de Noir + Tuscan Leather Intense + Oud Wood Intense - ended up wearing this concoction after testing out a few things in Nordstrom - wowowow. It is so heady and intense I would almost be afraid to wear this in any particularly confined space, but man is it good. Rich and luxurious with sillage that could be measured in kilometers.

Ooof. Now that is a dense combination. Borderline nuclear!

I rarely layer, but I did play with the early Private Blends. If you're lucky enough to have it, Bois Rouge + Neroli Portofino work incredibly well together.

ThVH

Mar 13, 2020
It‘s very seldom I layer, but last week I used 1 spray of LADDM over 1 of Hyde :lolk: which had dried for a good hour.
I wasn‘t feeling too fit, so it nearly killed me. Smelled great though! Like, really great.

Last edited:

jkonick

Feb 16, 2019
I wasn't sure where to post this because it isn't exactly layering, but I'm wearing Polo but my jacket still has a strong scent of Dark Lord by Kilian. Interesting combo!

I think that still counts as layering. I always like when a sweater or piece of clothing retains a bit of the base notes of my previous SOTD, and I can spray something on top of it that matches the vibe and keeps it going. Right now I’m wearing a sweater with remnants of the last two days’ Jardin Sur Le Toit and Encre Noire, and this morning I added some Declaration Essence and a touch of Eau Parfumee au The Vert. It’s basically all got the JCE DNA so it works quite nicely.

H_West

Oct 14, 2015
Inspired by this subject I did a barbershop combo an hour ago:
2 sprays Azzaro Pour homme
1 spray Platinum Egoiste

Not bad so far!

A better one, although maybe not a real layering, is the following:

Pinaud Clubman after-shave (demands a clean shave)
Azzaro Pour Homme

This is one of the best I've done. Unfortunately my vintage Azzaro decant is empty now.

jkonick

Feb 16, 2019
Today I’m wearing Bentley for Men + Absolute (3 sprays each) and a sweater that had two sprays of Nasomatto Duro yesterday. The Duro is almost as strong as the other two. Nice combo.

jkonick

Feb 16, 2019
5 sprays each of Himalaya and TdH Eau Tres Fraiche. Wow, the orange note in TdH marries perfectly with the Creed ambergris base. And the TdH adds a little more weight to Himalaya, which I find to be a bit thin and “high-pitched” even if the performance is quite good (I have a 2010 bottle).

jkonick

Feb 16, 2019
LOTD

Trying out a combo of Chypre Siam 3 dabs with Pour Monsieur EdT 5 sprays

Sounds like a very classy combo! I could see a lot of Rogue scents layering well with other old school/classic scents since they would add some oak moss oomph.

My new favorite combo is Polo Green and Mancera Wild Leather. They both share a rich, ashy central accord, and while the note pyramids may look different, the overall effect of each fragrance is similar, and it makes a great 80s powerhouse-meets-Arabian-bombast combo.

jkonick

Feb 16, 2019
Inspired by several recent Declaration/flankers threads, my layered SOTE is 4 sprays Declaration d’Un Soir, 2 sprays Declaration Essence and 1 spray Declaration.

It’s a fun fragrance to experiment with since there are so many flankers. Those are my three favorites, and wearing the latter two with d’Un Soir lets the dry rose continue to shine but adds back a bit of the core Declaration DNA that is, as has been discussed lately, less apparent in d’Un Soir.

jkonick

Feb 16, 2019
This morning I wore Declaration on a sweater that I had sprayed some Mancera Red Tobacco on two days ago. The deep dry down of RT somehow makes a great base for Declaration. Never would've guessed but it's surprisingly good. Wouldn't spray at the same time though... that'd be nasty.

Da Vinci

Dec 28, 2013
My favorite spring/summer layering combination is Bergamote 22 and Silver Mountain Water. These two really compliment each other.

jkonick

Feb 16, 2019
I’ve long thought that Encre Noire is one of the best layering fragrances, but I think I found a new favorite combo: EN + Jean Couturier Coriandre. More generally speaking, EN wonderfully complements just about any 70s/80s women’s chypres. Gives them a sharp and modern edge, and drags them a bit more into unisex territory.

Latest News